Spells You Never Cast

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Clairvoyance/Clairaudience. The 10 minute casting time is an insult.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I just looked up Know direction on the srd. It is a ridiculous enough spell but then you read the entire spell description.

[quote="D20srd on Know direction]You instantly know the direction of north from your current position. The spell is effective in any environment in which “north” exists, but it may not work in extraplanar settings. Your knowledge of north is correct at the moment of casting, but you can get lost again within moments if you don’t find some external reference point to help you keep track of direction.[/quote]

So if you waste your time by casting this and then forget to say that the rock that you are looking at is northwards, well that spell was a waste then wasn't it?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Stone Tell. 10 minutes to cast. But more importantly: what the hell is a stone going to tell you? What senses do they have? How intelligent are they? What language do stones and rocks speak? I mean, yes, I'm assuming Terran for the last one, but the rest of the spell's effects are firmly planted in Magical Tea Party territory.
Last edited by Ganbare Gincun on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Ganbare Gincun wrote:Stone Tell. 10 minutes to cast. But more importantly: what the hell is a stone going to tell you? What senses do they have? How intelligent are they? What language do stones and rocks speak? I mean, yes, I'm assuming Terran for the last one, but the rest of the spell's effects are firmly planted in Magical Tea Party territory.
Reminds me of this topic.

Which is the only circumstance where I can figure out what the stone would tell you.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Ganbare Gincun wrote:What language do stones and rocks speak?
The spell gives you the ability to communicate with stones.
Ganbare Gincun wrote:Stone Tell. 10 minutes to cast. But more importantly: what the hell is a stone going to tell you? What senses do they have? How intelligent are they?
This I am with you on...
Stone Tell from SRD wrote: A stone’s perspective, perception, and knowledge may prevent the stone from providing the details you are looking for.
Bolding mine, and what the fuck does that even mean?

Game On,
fbmf
Gods_Trick
Apprentice

Post by Gods_Trick »

fbmf wrote:
Ganbare Gincun wrote:What language do stones and rocks speak?
The spell gives you the ability to communicate with stones.
Ganbare Gincun wrote:Stone Tell. 10 minutes to cast. But more importantly: what the hell is a stone going to tell you? What senses do they have? How intelligent are they?
This I am with you on...
Stone Tell from SRD wrote: A stone’s perspective, perception, and knowledge may prevent the stone from providing the details you are looking for.
Bolding mine, and what the fuck does that even mean?

Game On,
fbmf
It means the stone tells you nothing, since stones have NO perception! Maybe an earth elemental subject might work.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Ancient History wrote:I got one, from AD&D: metamagic spells. One of the best things D&D3 did was introduce the concept of metamagic feats.
What would the difference be? I mean, I kinda like the idea of metamagic spells that don't waste a wizard's feats.

Do these spells have an additional cost? I mean if metamagic spells are counted as a higher level spell, those feats could be used for something a little bit more helpful. I like this mainly for the idea that it pushes the idea of gish a little further by making it more the norm rather than a tangential build.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

A metamagic spell was literally a separate spell that you cast before another spell to modify the effects. So you'd cast, say, Pierce Magic Resistance (5th level spell) one round, and then the spell you cast next round gets the benefit of the effect.
Aharon
Master

Post by Aharon »

As in 3rd Ed, there was absurdly powerful metamagic stuff in obscure sourcebooks :)
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

tzor wrote:I don't think they were ever folded into the official canon ruleset of 1E.
They were in Unearthed Arcana, if you consider that to be "official". And, honestly, I wouldn't blame you for going either way on that.

As for the thread topic, these are a few of my never memorized Cleric spells:

Bless Water - You might argue that you don't always know in advance if you're going to need holy water, and you'd be right, but by requiring an expensive material component, this spell makes it a choice between "pay 25gp for a vial of holy water", or "pay 25gp and a spell slot for holy water".

Detect Alignment - For values of alignment that do not correspond to the main axis of good guy/bad guy-dom in any given campaign. If a game is about Good vs Evil, you will never bother memorizing Detect Chaos. If a game is about Law vs Chaos, you will never bother memorizing Detect Good.

Find Traps really needs no introduction.

Blindness/Deafness - Blindness is actually a great spell (it's one of the few low-level ranged spells that requires a Fort save), but it's 3rd level for Clerics, which means the party Wizard could have been casting it 2 levels ago.

Control Water - I know Clerics have to be able to be Moses, but 4th level, seriously?

Raise Dead - If you can't afford True Rez, you're better off if you just reroll. And so is the rest of your party.
Last edited by talozin on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

talozin wrote:
tzor wrote:I don't think they were ever folded into the official canon ruleset of 1E.
They were in Unearthed Arcana, if you consider that to be "official". And, honestly, I wouldn't blame you for going either way on that.
Oh yea, right. Dark tea time of the gaming soul. I mostly missed out on UA because it was published in 1985, two years after I graduated from college, had no gaming group to speak of, and was way too busy collecting the next Lankhmar module to even think of new hard cover books.
LR
Knight

Post by LR »

talozin wrote:Bless Water - You might argue that you don't always know in advance if you're going to need holy water, and you'd be right, but by requiring an expensive material component, this spell makes it a choice between "pay 25gp for a vial of holy water", or "pay 25gp and a spell slot for holy water".
The holy water you buy is created with the spell and then sold at the cost of the component. You might never cast it, but there's probably an Apprentice Cleric sitting in a temple who spends all of his spell slots on it because he was told to do so by his Mentor. That's the intention, at least.

In, reality, holy water comes from Rogues and that chalice mentioned in the UMD description or high-level casters who bottle it from the Silver Sea in Celestia. Bless Water is still useless, but useless in an entirely different way than you thought.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

talozin wrote:Raise Dead - If you can't afford True Rez, you're better off if you just reroll. And so is the rest of your party.
Mechanically, yes, but I would be pissed to permanently lose a character that I put any investment into making and roleplaying.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ravengm
Knight

Post by Ravengm »

I always thought Foresight had a pretty high level for what it did. That and some of the "Hand" spells.
Random thing I saw on Facebook wrote:Just make sure to compare your results from Weapon Bracket Table and Elevator Load Composition (Dragon Magazine #12) to the Perfunctory Armor Glossary, Version 3.8 (Races of Minneapolis, pp. 183). Then use your result as input to the "DM Says Screw You" equation.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Ravengm wrote:I always thought Foresight had a pretty high level for what it did. That and some of the "Hand" spells.
:rofl:
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

Darth Rabbitt wrote: Mechanically, yes, but I would be pissed to permanently lose a character that I put any investment into making and roleplaying.
Sure, that's part of what makes Raise Dead such a terrible spell -- when it's your only option after a character dies, you're screwed no matter what you do.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Mechanically, yes, but I would be pissed to permanently lose a character that I put any investment into making and roleplaying.
I just make his mysterious twin brother with identical stats and classes and items, and fuck death level penalties.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Ravengm wrote:I always thought Foresight had a pretty high level for what it did.
Foresight is "a hint from the MC". Hints, depending on the MC, range from (1) completely useless to (2) too damn specific and railroady to (3) necessary to (4) actually powerful. Example: one of the most useful skills in GURPS is Scrounging, which allows your PC to locate and obtain mundane items and come up with clever ideas on how to get more exotic ones.

Good MCs are rare. Worldbuilding, NPC creation, description, pacing, organizing - a lot of skills to suck at. Miscommunication, especially with newb MCs or MCs you have no experience with, can ruin an otherwise decent game. Hints can tell you if you missed an important fact about the world, or that the MC failed to mention one, or that the MC has a retarded preconception of how stuff works. Once, our party spent several IRL hours searching for a mysterious monster that's been eating the inhabitants of a small town. We exhausted all options and started complaining in-character that the investigation was going nowhere. The MC snickered all the time, saying that the solution was laughably easy. At some point, we got fed up and asked for the solution. "You should go to the public library to read local legends", she said. :facepalm:

So an all-knowing instantaneous effect that suggests the best action to take in any situation is pretty powerful, and the earlier in the game you gain it, the better. At level 17 and at the cost of a 9th level slot, it's useless. This is better:

Uncommon sense [Noob]
Benefit: As an immediate action, you can roll a Knowledge (Intelligence) check, DC -5, to take back whatever you just said. This is an extraordinary ability that can be used a number of times per session equal to 1 + your (not your character's) Charisma bonus.
Normal: Upon saying "Lol nitric acid?! Awsum I drink it! so randum lol!", you get to suffer consequences.
Special: As long as every player, including the MC, is drunk, the ability can be used an unlimited number of times.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

How about any of the Mordenkainen Spells, with the obvious exception of MDJ?

I've never cast a Bigby spell in 3.x? Anybody else want to weight in?

Game On,
fbmf
K
King

Post by K »

I'm a great fan of the Magnificent Mansion. You can cast it and 5' step in and basically get a perfect escape, but you can also open it at will and attack.

As for the hand spells, they basically fell out of favor when monster summoning was made decent. They used to be the thing you used to keep monsters off your face because the fighting guy as tank has always been a shared delusion in DnD.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I think one of the Bigby spells is pretty good, it's a hand that moves around grappling and stunning and doing small damage. That could be useful if it had it's level reduced.

MD, and mansion are used a fair amount. I don't know any other M spells, so I guess not. Except that one Chain Missile one, I guess that's not bad.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I've been playing for 20+ years, and I've never seen anyone cast Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound.

Game On,
fbmf
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Yeah, M^3 is actually a pretty nice spell - I've used it quite a bit, a lot more than MDJ actually. Faithful Hound - yeah, I can't even remember the details of that one. Or the sword one.

Secret Chest is one that always seems hypothetically useful, but I've never ended up actually using it.

Foresight is a weird one. Going by just the "not flatfooted and minor bonuses" part, it's pretty useless (except for specific Celerity shenanigans). Going by what it implies - that you get at least enough warning to do a standard action in response, and specific enough to be useful - then it's pretty damn powerful and certainly worth the slot. But the wording is vague enough that you'll have to find out how the MC is actually going to run it.
Last edited by Ice9 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

(except for specific Celerity shenanigans)
You have my undivided attention, Sir.

Game On,
fbmf
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I will freely admit to not having gotten much practical non-CRPG experience, but the sword is a force effect, which can come in handy, and doesn't seem to have too crappy a to-hit for sorcerers, and you only need to use a standard action on it when a target runs away or dies.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.