[Politics] Weed and Things

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Marijuana or THC? I get the impression that the smoke would be an issue before the THC would be, but I could be wrong.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Doom wrote:I'm curious and too lazy to click around...is there a lethal doze to marijuana (and, if so, how would you even take it)?
Yes. Most things have lethal doses, and science has measured a substantial number of them.

Uh... hm... that second question is a tough one. You pretty much have to distill it and then consume it as liquid THC. Judging by rat studies, you could kill yourself by drinking as little as 40 or 50 grams of THC. So um... don't drink a full glass of hash oil. You're not going to be able to kill yourself smoking the stuff. You would actually die of carbon monoxide poisoning before you could possibly smoke the dozens of kilograms of leaves necessary to kill yourself with a THC overdose.

-Username17
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Sorry, my question was horribly vague; answered well all the same.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Doom wrote:I'm curious and too lazy to click around...is there a lethal doze to marijuana (and, if so, how would you even take it)?
Yes. Most things have lethal doses, and science has measured a substantial number of them.

Uh... hm... that second question is a tough one. You pretty much have to distill it and then consume it as liquid THC. Judging by rat studies, you could kill yourself by drinking as little as 40 or 50 grams of THC. So um... don't drink a full glass of hash oil. You're not going to be able to kill yourself smoking the stuff. You would actually die of carbon monoxide poisoning before you could possibly smoke the dozens of kilograms of leaves necessary to kill yourself with a THC overdose.

-Username17
It's got to be more than that or else we'd have seen a THC death. Maybe drinking that much THC induces vomiting at any dose high enough to be dangerous or something?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

If you wanted to OD on it by eating it, you'd need to eat more than the weight of the six SWAT officers (including gear) that will arrest you. And their van.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

I've seen a lot of cases who had to be sent to a psychatric clinic for endangering themselves or others, and many of them with psychic problems were chronic marihuana users. Doesn't prove anything, but I am a bit wary of legalizing the stuff now.

I am still all for legalizing stuff that can kill the user without endangering anyone else.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Fuchs wrote:I've seen a lot of cases who had to be sent to a psychatric clinic for endangering themselves or others, and many of them with psychic problems were chronic marihuana users. Doesn't prove anything, but I am a bit wary of legalizing the stuff now.

I am still all for legalizing stuff that can kill the user without endangering anyone else.
Were they using other stuff as well?
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

RobbyPants wrote:
Fuchs wrote:I've seen a lot of cases who had to be sent to a psychatric clinic for endangering themselves or others, and many of them with psychic problems were chronic marihuana users. Doesn't prove anything, but I am a bit wary of legalizing the stuff now.

Were they using other stuff as well?
Most had various other substances on their abuse list too, but marihuana was the common link.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

As was water, I'm sure.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Doom wrote:As was water, I'm sure.
You're just diluting the message.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

There should be some degree of wariness, but don't confuse correlation with cause. At the very least, it should come as no surprise that individuals without regard for the law are perfectly willing to do something fun which happens to be illegal, or that self-destructive individuals are happy to do something marketed by the government as self-destructive.

Honestly, though, I'd guess that given it's medicinal uses, they're probably self-medicating. Painkillers have been shown to lessen feelings of rejection, for example.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

I sincerly doubt that even 1% of the cannabis users in my country take it for medicinal uses.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Fuchs wrote:I sincerly doubt that even 1% of the cannabis users in my country take it for medicinal uses.
Then why even bring up the number of people undergoing mental health treatment?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:Painkillers have been shown to lessen feelings of rejection, for example.
Opiate painkillers lessen all fucking pain.

And damn it, I was doing so well - I can't remember the last time I took even a single dose of codeine (for reasons other than my bad memory), but after a nine and a half hour shift, on my feet, in these work boots, I'm beginning to think I might need to start again.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Koumei wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:Painkillers have been shown to lessen feelings of rejection, for example.
Opiate painkillers lessen all fucking pain.

And damn it, I was doing so well - I can't remember the last time I took even a single dose of codeine (for reasons other than my bad memory), but after a nine and a half hour shift, on my feet, in these work boots, I'm beginning to think I might need to start again.
Apparently acetaminophen works too.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well, given paracetamol (same shit, different name over here) does nothing for physical pain for me - unless mixed with codeine, in which case we know what is doing all the work - I wouldn't trust it to be useful for any other kind of pain either.

Back on the codeine for the weekend, and now I have special inserts for my shoes. I figure the first few days next week I'll finish the codeine off just to stay on the safe side, and by the end of the week, if my feet are still in agony, I'll talk to the boss and see if something can be arranged.

Or see if I can get an oxycontin prescription - a tablet a day keeps all pain away! Pain-free workers are productive workers!
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Have you considered getting a new pair of shoes?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

What are you doing? If its standing in place for a protracted period of time, your company will have access to rubberised matts for the purposes of standing on. They are MUCH better that standing on a hard floor. You will not belive the difference.

If you are walking around, you need new shoes.
Last edited by cthulhu on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Koumei wrote:Well, given paracetamol (same shit, different name over here) does nothing for physical pain for me - unless mixed with codeine, in which case we know what is doing all the work - I wouldn't trust it to be useful for any other kind of pain either.

Back on the codeine for the weekend, and now I have special inserts for my shoes. I figure the first few days next week I'll finish the codeine off just to stay on the safe side, and by the end of the week, if my feet are still in agony, I'll talk to the boss and see if something can be arranged.

Or see if I can get an oxycontin prescription - a tablet a day keeps all pain away! Pain-free workers are productive workers!
Just remember that after you stop the drugs, your pain threshold will be artificially lowered for a while.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Tell me, what about maladaptive behavior that was performed while under the influence such as assault or suicide? This seems to make alcohol really damning (of course it might just be because of its universality) but the fact that you could apparently cut crime in half by replacing alcohol with something that makes people really mellow makes it seem like we need to find a new drug.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

cthulhu wrote:What are you doing? If its standing in place for a protracted period of time, your company will have access to rubberised matts for the purposes of standing on. They are MUCH better that standing on a hard floor. You will not belive the difference.

If you are walking around, you need new shoes.
Well I have shitty feet in general - I have a pair of work shoes with special magic arch support and everything, and they're good. But these are work boots bought specifically for the job, with steel caps. I suppose one option, if the inserts fail, is to just wear my work shoes and hope nothing falls on my feet (given that isn't really a risk in the tasks I do...)

There's a lot of standing, but walking as well, on the concrete floor, from 7:30 AM to 5 PM. The half-hour break where I can sit down is a magical moment. But after the first day? I took my shoes off to walk to and from the train station, it made that much of a difference.

Now let's face it, I went from "lazy fucker who spent all day sitting around, aside from 2x walkies with the dog, and walking to the shops, daily" to "HALF THE DAY IS STANDING". That will always take some getting used to.

And yeah, over the last 24+ months I went from "underweight" to "teetering between healthy and overweight" (it roughly coincided with me starting to collect Warhams - see? It DOES make you fat). So being heavier than I should be doesn't help.

So the sores on my toes and ankles are standard "new boots, wore insufficiently thick socks on the first day" which just means "keep bandaids on them until completely healed, wear thick socks". The aching, I'll use the drugs on the first few days just to stay on the safe side, and hope that it's just a matter of getting used to it and the inserts fixing it.

Though someone has helpfully recommended I ask a pharmacist about Naproxen (legal, pharmacy-OTC drug, non-narcotic) to see if that helps as well.
Sarandosil
Apprentice

Post by Sarandosil »

I was in your same position some time ago, took about two weeks for standing all day to stop being so painful.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Personally, I recommend taking the boots back and getting ones that fit you. I realize that there will always be a breaking in period on shoes, but things that do that sort of thing to your feet are inexcusable.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I bought some padded inserts with arch support and gel impact-absorbers. They seem pretty effective. So that problem seems to be over.