Need help with a Shadowrun 4E character

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Devorum
NPC

Need help with a Shadowrun 4E character

Post by Devorum »

My character just died, and I'm rolling a new guy. I'm trying to come up with a character that will a gap in the party, Face, but still be viable in other areas.

I want to be a covert/spec ops kinda guy but with Face capabilities, as well. My Vision is a sneaky guy who can get past locks and traps, and also take someone down when required...though preferably it won't be. Maybe with a bow or crossbow and specialty bolts/arrows. I'm not terribly familiar with SR4, so I'm still not quite sure what will be viable and what won't be.

I've considered a mage with heavy illusion and manipulation focus, or a social Adept with martial/sneaky skills on the side. Would a cybered-out character perform better than either of these?
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Lightly cybered adept is possibly the way you want to go. You can fit a lot of good fun into one point of Essence/Magic.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

I highly recommend:

A Good Disguise skill, or just max out the Stealth Group
mnemonic enhancement.
College Education

This makes a character who can pretend to be just about anyone.
Especially if you're willing to spend money on Knowsofts and Linguasofts. (Which you should)

Combine with Good Social Skills: You have a Face/Infiltrator.

For combat: Pistol skill, athletics.
Captain_Karzak
Journeyman

Post by Captain_Karzak »

I'd like to second Schwarzkopf's suggestion.

Adepts make superb faces. They have the ability to buy up skills higher than anyone else (via Improved Ability), they can shuffle around their mental attributes on the fly to improve dice pools (via Cognition), and they can massively expand the power of social skills so that they can produce supernatural effects (via Commanding Voice).

Being good at physical combat, IMO almost always requires high initiative and multiple Initiative Passes. Synaptic Boosters are a faster, cheaper method of gaining IP's than the absurdly expensive Improved Reflexes ability that adepts can buy, so most adepts actually gain more than they lose for cybering up slightly.

You can gain a pretty decent defense pool as an adept because Improve Ability is very inexpensive for non-combat skills like Gymnastics - which adds to your defense pool on full defense.

Since you are already looking outside the firearms group for your armament of choice, perhaps spare some consideration for specialty weapons / chemicals. An Ares Supersquirt or a Dart Pistol could silently deliver very potent Narcojet doses as a simple action, twice per initiative pass without requiring high numbers of net hits to be effective.
Last edited by Captain_Karzak on Fri May 27, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

It will, however, be worthless against your more heavily armored/cybered enemies, but it is an excellent way of quickly and nonlethally disposing of soft targets like security guards.

Just don't expect anything wearing milspec to give a shit (although at that point you're probably in a bit of trouble no matter what you're playing).
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

If you want things in MilSpec to give a damn, you need to be doing Grenade damage, or using SparHawks with ADPS ammo.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

SpawHawks?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Bah my Bard
Ruger Super Warhawk, 6P -2 SS 6(cy)
with ADPS it's 6P -6AP.
it's hard t do better than that.

Eichiro Hatamoto II 7p -1 ss 1(m)
with ADPS is 7p -5AP works out basically the same.

And that's all with Pistol skill.
If you're happy to just knock a guy in Milspec armor unconcious:

Ares Crusader Machine Pistol
4P - SA/BF RC 2 40(c)
With ADPS 4P -4AP. You can do a short burst for 7P -4AP at only -1 skill.

A couple of rounds of that might knock a hardshell unconcious if you're a good enough shot. But kinda unlikely.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ah, i see, thank you.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Whipstitch
Prince

Re: Need help with a Shadowrun 4E character

Post by Whipstitch »

Seconding the lightly 'wared up Adept route. Just make sure to concentrate on stuff like Kinesics and Improved Ability: Infiltration instead of paying the premium for combat powers and martial arts. You have your fingers in too many pies as it is to justify their costs and between a high agility and a single good gun skill you can fill the assassin role just fine anyway. It's just taking it as well as you can dish it out that is typically the problem with this sort of character. Think of yourself as an ambush predator rather than a frontliner and you'll do fine.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

Whipstitch wrote:You have your fingers in too many pies
Somewhat off-topic, what is it with Shadowrun and the phrase "fingers in pies?" It shows up in more than one of sourcebook and feels like it must be some kind of bizarre inside joke.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
Captain_Karzak
Journeyman

Post by Captain_Karzak »

Archmage wrote: Somewhat off-topic, what is it with Shadowrun and the phrase "fingers in pies?" It shows up in more than one of source book and feels like it must be some kind of bizarre inside joke.
I haven't really noticed this. It seems like a valid description of Megacorp activities, given the huge scope and scale of their operations in the 6th world.

The phase comes up once in SR4A in reference to Ares Macrotechnologies, and one in the Corporate Guide in reference to Horizon. It's not mentioned at all in Corporate Enclaves.

I haven't checked any other source books to see if there's a better pattern to explain the usage.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Actually it was Aztechnology that was described thus since they have control of one of the major shipping lanes and even earlier setting fluff marked them as unusually diversified even for a megacorp. They seem to specialize in final goods and distribution-- a smaller corp might be the one who produces the product, but there's good odds that the Azzies will own the shelf it's displayed on. Anyway, you can't really blame the books for my use of the phrase. I don't own Corporate guide so out of all the SR4 books I own the phrase has apparently been used a grand total of once-- twice if you count the same blurb being reprinted in SR4A.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sun May 29, 2011 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.