Help with a bad idea, and the opportunity for a side-bet

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Amra
Knight

Re: Help with a bad idea, and the opportunity for a side-bet

Post by Amra »

I don't see where the rules say "caster level" though. I thought I did, but now I'm sure I don't.

Is it seriously the case that WoTC have NEVER come up with an official clarification for this? :disgusted:
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182346735[/unixtime]]I don't see where the rules say "caster level" though. I thought I did, but now I'm sure I don't.

Is it seriously the case that WoTC have NEVER come up with an official clarification for this? :disgusted:

There is no clear rule. it's one of those situtation where everybody understands something different but they're close enough that the lack of understanding was missed. So it only shows up in weird fringe cases like this.

And yes, WotC never came up with official clarifications. They've never come up with official clarifications about a lot of things. This stubborn refusal to admit their own mistakes is part of why they are... disliked around here.

And, finally, I can say. Welcome to the club man. Welcome to the club :thumb:
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

Thanks for the welcome! You'll excuse me if I just pass out on the floor for a while, won't you?

*thud*

That high whistling sound you just heard was the steam coming out of my ears, and the wet splat thereafter was my brain exploding...

I've got this sudden urge to let off steam about those bloody "Save My Game" articles where the response is both "There's nothing wrong with the rules" and at the same time "it's up to you as DM to fix everything that would need to be fixed if there was anything amiss, which there isn't". And what about the FAQ entries that are Just Plain Fvcking Wrong? I mean, these people must eat, sleep and breathe D&D... how can they not KNOW they're full of sh1t? :wtf: AAAAAAARGH! :disgusted: :flames:
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182348352[/unixtime]]Thanks for the welcome! You'll excuse me if I just pass out on the floor for a while, won't you?

*thud*

That high whistling sound you just heard was the steam coming out of my ears, and the wet splat thereafter was my brain exploding...

I've got this sudden urge to let off steam about those bloody "Save My Game" articles where the response is both "There's nothing wrong with the rules" and at the same time "it's up to you as DM to fix everything that would need to be fixed if there was anything amiss, which there isn't". And what about the FAQ entries that are Just Plain Fvcking Wrong? I mean, these people must eat, sleep and breathe D&D... how can they not KNOW they're full of sh1t? :wtf: AAAAAAARGH! :disgusted: :flames:

Now, to become a full member you must get warned on the WotC forums for being a perfectly reasonable guy who asked/answered a question. Don't worry, it's depressingly easier than it sounds.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Guest wrote:Frank seems to be saying that we should plug in "what the sublime chord's caster level would be if we ignored this rule." That is certainly one way to make the value computable, but I don't see how you could construe the rules as written as actually saying that (if there's some precedent I'm unaware of, feel free to enlighten me).

There actually is.

Here's the deal: the glossary of the PHB defines Caster Level as being usually equal to the level of the class. So until you find a rule that says otherwise, that's your caster level.

So the Sublime Chord actually references its own default values for caster level in its own special rule to change the caster level.

So first you find the default levels (your class level), then you follow the instructions (adding the caster level to another caster level in a different class). Then you stop, because that equation is now completed (even though it has now changed both the values you added together).

Stupid? Hellz yeah. But there is a logic to it if you follow D&D Math rather than actual math.

-Username17
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Amra:

Would it be correct for me to state that we are in agreement, with the exception of what "for the purpose of casting spells" means?

-

At least it seems like everyone is in agreement that A=A+B works in D&D in the same way as in most programming languages.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182349866[/unixtime]]

Now, to become a full member you must get warned on the WotC forums for being a perfectly reasonable guy who asked/answered a question. Don't worry, it's depressingly easier than it sounds.

It is? I've flamed people, evidently once reduced a 13 year old to tears, and started threads that were openly admitted trolls, and not only have I never been warned on the WotC boards, when they were testing their new software, I was invited to help "for [my] contributions to the boards (specifically the Char Op board) and [my] opinions are respected and deserved."

They confuse me to no end. Do I have to start working around the filter to swear or something?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I got warned on the Ravenloft boards for asking if the original module would be updated for 3.0 back in 2001. It's not hard.

Game On,
fbmf
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Neeek at [unixtime wrote:1182370150[/unixtime]]
shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182349866[/unixtime]]

It is? I've flamed people, evidently once reduced a 13 year old to tears, and started threads that were openly admitted trolls, and not only have I never been warned on the WotC boards, when they were testing their new software, I was invited to help "for [my] contributions to the boards (specifically the Char Op board) and [my] opinions are respected and deserved."

They confuse me to no end. Do I have to start working around the filter to swear or something?

I don't know man. I got warned for saying Monk was a bad choice for a ranged build. :wtf:
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Dude I've been warned like numerous times over there.

Primarily over using a strongly implied condescension toward complete assholes who openly accuse everyone of being munchkins and cheats (apparently the Wizos see no actually problematic behaviour in that sort of language).

Yes, today its condescension, tomorrow, sarcasm. What next? Alliteration?

You clearly aren't trying hard enough Neek, I mean I hardly ever post out there and I'm up to something like my third warning.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

I got warned for calling someone's DM "retarded". I agree with Fbmf, it's not hard at all.
Dragon_Child
Apprentice

Post by Dragon_Child »

I got warned for something I said on this message board, and again warned for saying "Jesus Christ" as an exclimation.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Dragon_Child wrote:I got warned for something I said on this message board,

Wait, you got warned here or there?
Dragon_Child
Apprentice

Post by Dragon_Child »

I got warned THERE, for something I said HERE. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1182359472[/unixtime]]Here's the deal: the glossary of the PHB defines Caster Level as being usually equal to the level of the class. So until you find a rule that says otherwise, that's your caster level.

Er...but the entire discussion is about a rule that says otherwise, isn't it? :confused:
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Wow, they must like me at the Wizards boards because I have done similar things that some of you have done and have never gotten a warning from a Wizo. I maybe on some posters' ignore list, and I have been attacked with phrases like muchkin and the like.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Iaimeki
Journeyman

Post by Iaimeki »

Despite valiant efforts, I've never been warned on the WotC boards. I feel like I've missed out on something.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I've also never been warned by a WizO, as far as I can remember. Maybe that's because I tend to put consistantly stupid posters on my ignore list.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I think I've been warned twice, though one was for posting on a spam thread.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Dragon_Child at [unixtime wrote:1182388172[/unixtime]]I got warned THERE, for something I said HERE. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Which post?
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1182363669[/unixtime]]Amra:

Would it be correct for me to state that we are in agreement, with the exception of what "for the purpose of casting spells" means?

I'd go further than that! We're pretty much in agreement, and I even agree with your implicit definition of "for the purpose of casting spells" means: my disagreement is simply that you use this definition for the caster level calculation.

The reason I disagree is actually pretty straightforward, unlike the teeth-gritting ass-pain that results from trying to literally interpret the rest of this pile of steaming mammoth entrails...

The description says "level in another arcane spellcasting class". I believe that "another arcane spellcasting class" is a variable used for convenience and could be replaced by "level in Wizard", "level in Bard" or "level in Beguiler". For me, that means "the levels you have in that class" because I don't see any good reason to extrapolate as far as "your effective level for the purpose of determining your spells per day and caster level".

Yes, we're talking about a calculation to do with spellcasting so I can see why you'd *want* to choose the interpretation you have, but the fact that the interpretation I favour - the simplest possible reading - is sub-optimal for character development would be entirely in keeping with most PrC's!

I consider the Ur-Priest description to even more strongly indicate my interpretation: it says "levels in other spellcasting classes", which I read as "levels in other [spellcasting class A]+[spellcasting class B]+...+[spellcasting class n]". If it said "levels in Wizard" it would be cut and dried. To my mind, deciding that by "levels in other spellcasting classes" it means "total caster level in other spellcasting classes" is a real stretch.

Considering a Wizard 5/Mage of the Arcane Order 3...

What is his Wizard level? Arguably, 8, although the more I consider it the more I'd say 5.

How many levels does he have in "Wizard"? 5, definitely, even if you consider him an 8th-level Wizard for some purposes he only has 5 levels in Wizard.

And now I don't want to hear, speak, read or write the word "level" again for at least four hours! :disgusted:
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1182390746[/unixtime]]
FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1182359472[/unixtime]]Here's the deal: the glossary of the PHB defines Caster Level as being usually equal to the level of the class. So until you find a rule that says otherwise, that's your caster level.

Er...but the entire discussion is about a rule that says otherwise, isn't it? :confused:

Well, I'd have said so. The rules in fact talk about "generally", which - in my UK English dictionary at least - has a different connotation. "Usually" means "most of the time, in the majority of cases". "Generally" means "broadly, without regard to specific instances or exceptions".

If this ain't a specific instance, I don't know what is! :disgusted:

Still, I managed to get through that without mentioning the "l" word... :biggrin:
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

You mean "level"?
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1182411884[/unixtime]]You mean "level"?

Bad kitty. No milk for you. ;)
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

How am I supposed to enjoy my cereal now?