VaeVictis, a Dom3 MP

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Frank's already got his turn in, so it looks like we're golden.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Shiritai wrote:Frank's already got his turn in, so it looks like we're golden.
For now. I'm in the Amsterdam airport and I am being sent to Belgium against my will. It's complicated. I may be... late... on the next turn.

-Username17
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

FrankTrollman wrote:
For now. I'm in the Amsterdam airport and I am being sent to Belgium against my will.
Oh, dear. I am firmly convinced that's how they populated the area in the first place. Be careful, will ya?
the toys go winding down.
- Primus
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

Contrary to my earlier assurances, I'm going to have to drop out of the game. Between work and personal circumstances, there's no way I'll be able to reliably submit turns for at least another week. If someone wants to sub in, that's fine by me, otherwise I can just go AI or something.

Apologies to all.
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Okay, I pushed the game back because I was running behind, now I've done it again so we can find a sub. Anyone interested? Anyone know anyone who might be interested?
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

Gnosticism, would setting the game to a 72-hour schedule help? If yes, I'd be okay with it.

Or maybe Zine is up for another job? ;)
- Primus
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Which desperately doomed nation is in need of a player to negotiate its unconditional surrender again? :P
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Zinegata wrote:Which desperately doomed nation is in need of a player to negotiate its unconditional surrender again? :P
Ctis.

In other news, three Belgians tried to rob me and I had to push their leader over and tell them to fuck off. But now I am back in Czechia.

-Username17
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Are the Anti-Abysian Coalition willing to discuss terms of surrender?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Does anyone have a quick summary of what is going on? As I feel C'Tis is on the complete opposite end of the map as Caelum.
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

Maybe we should put the game on hold until we've got the subbing sorted out?

My take on C'tis:
- center north of the map
- neighboring nations are Atlantis (W), R'lyeh (SW; a narrow corridor of land, behind which lies Marignon), Pangaea (SE), Ermor (E)
- had a long war with Ermor through much of the early/early mid game without significant gains for either side. However, a number of creatively named Lizard Kings are still hogging the Hall of Fame as a result.
- not currently at war with anyone as far as I can tell; NAP with me (Pan) and very probably others as well.
- for scores see the tables on the game status page

Pan
- Primus
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I have already looked at the Scores page. I'm wondering more about its diplomatic status.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

NAP with me.

--
R'ley
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Marignon has no diplomatic contact with Ctis.

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

To the nation of Man, C'tis is a myth.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

C'tis and Atlantis have an NAP.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Abysia has no diplomatic contact with C'tis that I'm aware of.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

FrankTrollman wrote:In other news, three Belgians tried to rob me and I had to push their leader over and tell them to fuck off. But now I am back in Czechia
I find myself mildly disappointed this post didn't include a breakdown of their poor strategy, showing how if they'd attacked from a different direction they would have won :wink:

Seriously though, being attacked is never nice. Glad to hear you walked away unscathed.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Well, C'Tis to me is more myth than reality at this point, but sure I'll sub.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Zine, PM me your email. It's possible you did this once already for Dominions of Denizens, but if so, I no longer remember which one is you.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

*sigh* Okay, looks like I'm now in charge of a new Third World hell hole. At least this one is at peace with its neighbors.

C'tis would like to reaffirm its current peace commitments to our neighbors. We are now currently taking stock of our inventories, but we seem to have decent stocks of Skull Mentors. We are willing to sell these in exchange for Water gems or Earth gems.

Also, please PM me with specifics as to our current peace deals or any pending trade deals with the previous administration.
Last edited by Zinegata on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

Pangaea Announces Victory Over Abysia

Pangaean forces under the leadership of a committee informally known as the Mayhem Cabal have taken control of the Abysian capital today. Abysian resistance under the command of Furcas the Arch Devil was reportedly fierce, but proved ultimately futile. A number of high-ranking Abysians fleeing the site of battle were shot at the border, including Furcas.

The final assault on the capital was preceded by attempted remote attacks on the minds of several Mayhem Cabal members. However, these attacks were defused by a Pangaean counterintelligence expert who had flown in specifically for this purpose, at dear cost to the sanity of the perpetrators.

When asked about the key factors contributing to this relatively swift victory over formerly quite powerful Abysia, the Prophet's office failed to provide a salient explanation, as usual.

'We had this strategy going, you know? Poke 'em in the tummy with the blunt end of a stick. Sharpen the other end. Reverse stick.'
Last edited by tenuki on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Primus
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Obviously the Feeble Minds didn't help at all. But really, what I was looking at just didn't look like someone who had adapted to the Evocation 9 world. I mean, obviously Pan is going to dump a turn 2 Army of Gold, and a Relief, because that is how they roll. They were just lucky you didn't back that up Fog Warriors and Mass Regeneration.

The Abyssian position called for either a short battle strategy, a long battle strategy, or a hybrid. Having all your devils in a big pile with no commands doesn't count as a hybrid - that's just weakness.

Short Plan: as the defender, you have two turns to lay down the smack before Fire Resistance comes in. You have a couple of Fire 5 casters, lay down the flame storm. Outfit Furcas and Baal Chozron with Fire Gems and put them forward so that they can lay down giant fire blasts on turn 1 or have them Summon Fire Power and dump the fire on turn 2. In either case, you have a fuck tonne of fliers and they should be in small groups set to attack rear or one of the Pangaea-leader specific maneuvers like attack large monsters or attack fliers, because you want to paralyze the enemy casters fast. You also have a bunch of powerful blood mages, who can an should have blood slaves to sacrifice on the first turn. Yes your blood mages are "on fire" and that will kill the blood slaves eventually, but you're going to sacrifice them to dark gods long before that comes up. I mean for fuck's sake, you have blood 9, you just cast Infernal Forces, you can lay down any crazy shit you want. Life for Life? Infernal Prison? Why Not? Any central blocking required (and you do need some), can come from imps you summon in the battle.

The short battle plan causes enough damage in the first two turns that the Pangaean forces break completely or lose enough mages (or have enough mages distracted by close combat). It's not cheap, and if Pangaea is ready for it (hint: they were not), it can backfire badly, but it's a chance.

The Long Plan: You're inside a castle and you are fire immune and they will at best be fire resistant. The long plan involves setting up the battlefield to burn to the ground and hold the enemies outside the castle. Again you're going to want to summon some imps on turn 1 to tie up the enemy's advance, but this time your fliers hold in reserve. You lay down the Fire Storm on turn 1. That's the battlefield enchantment where falling fires fall on the battlefield every turn until someone kills Furcas. Army of Gold or no, that is going to hurt.

And you play the long game with your blood as well. And that means Horrors. Your Astral casters are scripted to Astral Geyser every turn, and you script some horror summonings on turn 3. Remember to take your own horror marked characters and put them way off on the side. But full sized horrors should run amok on the severely horror marked leadership of the Pangaeans.

But it's basically inexcusable that Abyssia went into the battle for its capital without battle gems on its leaders. That's just silly.

-Username17
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Yeah, I... actually hadn't scripted them with the expectation that the battle would commence this turn. Meaning that I hadn't actually changed their scripts at all, or allocated resources at all, or done anything really. That was probably my greatest mistake and what led to... most of the others. The devils weren't the only ones with no meaningful commands, I think that was pretty much everyone else.
Last edited by Quantumboost on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

You know, I think my lack of magic sites of any serious power or quantity may possibly slightly interfere with my long-term plans just a bit.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.