The Shadowrun Situation

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Kot
Journeyman

Post by Kot »

Damn. Ancient, would you care to reconsider, at least when it comes to the Earthdawn stuff? Too many earthdawners will weep bloody tears after hearing these news...
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"The only way to keep them in line is to bury them in a row..."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Oh hells no. I gave up on Earthdawn even farther back than SR.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Ancient History wrote:Oh hells no. I gave up on Earthdawn even farther back than SR.
Why? What happened?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Ganbare Gincun wrote:
Ancient History wrote:Oh hells no. I gave up on Earthdawn even farther back than SR.
Why? What happened?
Earthdawn got split off and got weird.

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Frank's nailed it. The division of the license and the quality of the new product just did not grab me. Then there was all of that noise about an "8th World" RPG and "Age of Legends" for D&D4...urgh. I mean, c'mon, I couldn't even bring myself to read Battlerun.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

well, it's written badly, there are spelling and grammatical errors in there . .
but it IS kinda okay like that . . it's trash. pure and simple fun trash.
like the moby dick 2010 or the megalodon versus giant octopus movies . .
yes, that bad, but kinda entertaining and worth a chuckle or two ^^
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Fucks
Master

Post by Fucks »

You're talking about Battlerun, don't you?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ayup
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

I checked out the preview of the new SR gun book. My contrary opinion: the production quality is sweet. Full color illios look great. Same with the airplane book. But who wants to buy a product filled with weapons that won't even be used in game? Is there there that big a call for "vintage" weapons? Until SR devs can make the light pistol a useful tool, I don't see why anyone would want MORE options for them.

If I get some free credits from DriveThruRPG I might pick this up but otherwise why would I?

PS: I'm amazed at how much $$$ I've saved by not purchasing SR releases. Damn, that's liberating.
Kot
Journeyman

Post by Kot »

Well, the current ED team is devoted and cool, but they're still re-using the old material (from 1-st edition). The Kratas book was pretty sweet, dunno about the new one - Cathay - but beyond that all they did (besides a few adventures - and some of those are great) was updating the books to new game mechanics, and pushing the base storyline to Prelude to War. And they didn't touch the storyline beyond that.
So, there's none of the LRG crap involved.

In short: if you know the old(1-st edition) ED, the new (third) edition is basically the same, but with fixed(but still archaic) game mechanics...
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

I think Cathay is pretty cool. It was everything I wanted.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Appearantly, CGL fucked up again.
Bogota now has access to rivers and lakes and the such to make use of submersible smuggeling vehicles in the new Watersports PDF . .
Furthermore, the "new" Arsenal only has a NEW COVER . . From germany . .
It's not even the corrected second printing anymore, it has errors that were int he FIRST printing again . .
So basically, no errata, even older very first completely failure riddled Arsenal only got the new german Cover . . . splendid . . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

and they announce it as errataed...
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

I think I'll just switch to Ars Magica
At least Atlas Games seems to not completely suck.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Also, seems like Arsenal is the SECOND BOOK to get DE-ERRATAED after Street Magic . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

sabs wrote:I think I'll just switch to Ars Magica
At least Atlas Games seems to not completely suck.
Ars Magica is a fantastic game... but (and this is a strange "but") their corpus of books and expansions are interesting reading, internally consistent, (basically) mechanically sound, and expensive. That's a bad combo for an RPG freak. :)
Kot
Journeyman

Post by Kot »

Just stay waaay back from CGL, and play Shadowrun as you like. It works for me, it works for some 2nd. edition fanatics I know...
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

IF i get to play, i'm still firmly entrenched between my SR3.5D Books . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

Ennie noms are out and Catalyst is looking lightly represented, Shadowrun more than ever.

The games I know of are dying off around me and people are moving on. Shit, someone even suggested swapping SR for a cyberpunk themed NWoD game. How fucking sad is that? I told him we should just play Pathfinder or something.

I'm building my 1st level summoner in the next tab.

I haven't been following the developments with Heart Breaker. Is Shadowrun finally dead?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Someone gave them a fucking award for Spells & Chrome.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Dire Times indeed . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

I saw that. I'm still working my way through that turd.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Otakusensei wrote: The games I know of are dying off around me and people are moving on. Shit, someone even suggested swapping SR for a cyberpunk themed NWoD game. How fucking sad is that? I told him we should just play Pathfinder or something.
If you wanted to patch nWoD to play cyberunk with, you could start with After Sundown, because it costs a dollar, and you can torrent for free all legal-like. Also because the system is legitimately cleaner than nWoD.
I haven't been following the developments with Heart Breaker. Is Shadowrun finally dead?
Shadowrun is dead to me at this point. I don't see the company pulling it out of the poor writing ad editing morass or giving the license off to someone who could do that at any time in the near future. And the only thing that could save the property is a fifth edition that was a serious reboot.

So honestly, what the hell? Shadowrun is dead unless and until an entirely different (and currently nonexistent) set of writers and editors takes over and gives it the Ultimate Shadowrun treatment with a brand new edition. Why wait for that instead of making a new game with new IP from scratch?

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

pity that pegasus spiele has to ask CGL for permission for most things . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

The games I know of are dying off around me and people are moving on. Shit, someone even suggested swapping SR for a cyberpunk themed NWoD game. How fucking sad is that? I told him we should just play Pathfinder or something.

I'm building my 1st level summoner in the next tab.

Speaking personally, the only thing that's been keeping me from playing Shadowrun is that my gaming group's schedules are fucking retarded. I certainly acknowledge being in the minority here.

I understand that it won/got nominated for some ENnies, not that I particularly care at all about that. Honestly, from the activity on Dumpshock and on the official forums (I don't *really* frequent either) it seems approximately as active as ever, and CGL certainly show no signs of stopping the release parade.
Last edited by Neurosis on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)