Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Move around more. No, really. (Specifically, move them around more; standing still with them locked isn't going to do much)

Also, ibuprofin. It's shockingly effective, and has fewer side effects than just about anything, as long as you aren't eating literal handfuls.
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Here's a psuedo-medical question:

My knees are starting to give out. I know if I drop more weight then they'll feel better, but today they hurt really bad. Any hints on what to do to reduce joint pain?
There's some vitamin supplements that reduce joint pain. I'm not sure they aren't bad for your knees in the long run though. Normal painkillers would probably work.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

My knees are starting to give out. I know if I drop more weight then they'll feel better, but today they hurt really bad. Any hints on what to do to reduce joint pain?
Joint Juice
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

What the hell is a "hadle" and how much volume do they typically have? As in, that thing IHOP supposedly serves coffee in, according to Lewis Black. I have GIS'd "Hadle," "hadel" and "haddel" and turned up no leads. In fact there seems to be a model named "hadel" but no carafe type devices.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

fectin wrote:Move around more. No, really. (Specifically, move them around more; standing still with them locked isn't going to do much)

Also, ibuprofin. It's shockingly effective, and has fewer side effects than just about anything, as long as you aren't eating literal handfuls.
I second this. I've got the same problem as Count and ibuprofen has been my main workhorse for pain relief. These days I've scaled down how much I use thanks to Aleve; it lasts 12 hours, but isn't as potent, so I still often need to take a pill or two of ibuprofen.

And yeah, moving around does help. Standing in one place for hours on end is agony.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I know you don't have a lot of money, but it could be your shoes. I don't know enough about it, but my dad found out that by getting a slightly larger size, his knee/shin pain went away. I don't remember if they were too short or narrow or what, but when he increased one of the dimensions, it helped a lot.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Well, every pair of shoes I own is 4+ years old, maybe I should invest in some new shoes next paycheck...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

If you do that, make sure your feet are measured for size.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Maj wrote:If you do that, make sure your feet are measured for size.
Yes. My dad found out this was the problem. He found some chart in the back section of the shoe store that detailed the actual measuring process, and he'd always been taking a short cut.

Assuming the person who works there knows what they're doing, they'll help find a good fit.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

The problem is that the only competent shoe store in the area employs my ex girlfriend. Although the breakup wasn't that bad and we're cordial now, I want to involve her as little as possible with my life. I may have to go to the next town over instead.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Or call and ask if she's working.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Prak_Anima wrote:What the hell is a "hadle" and how much volume do they typically have? As in, that thing IHOP supposedly serves coffee in, according to Lewis Black. I have GIS'd "Hadle," "hadel" and "haddel" and turned up no leads. In fact there seems to be a model named "hadel" but no carafe type devices.
Hottle. Sometimes misspelled "hoddle". Looks like this:
http://www.instawares.com/update-intern ... cseid=GSHP

I think Black is really talking about a carafe though, like this:
http://www.restockit.com/poly-lined-bla ... 6j%29.html
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

fectin wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:What the hell is a "hadle" and how much volume do they typically have? As in, that thing IHOP supposedly serves coffee in, according to Lewis Black. I have GIS'd "Hadle," "hadel" and "haddel" and turned up no leads. In fact there seems to be a model named "hadel" but no carafe type devices.
Hottle. Sometimes misspelled "hoddle". Looks like this:
http://www.instawares.com/update-intern ... cseid=GSHP

I think Black is really talking about a carafe though, like this:
http://www.restockit.com/poly-lined-bla ... 6j%29.html
Thanks, that's been bugging me.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Maj wrote:Or call and ask if she's working.
That comes off as stalker-ish, and I'd rather drive to the next town 10 miles away.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
That comes off as stalker-ish, and I'd rather drive to the next town 10 miles away.
Personally, I think that's because you're thinking like an ex-boyfriend, and not like a customer.

I do, and I know plenty of people, who ask for information regarding when people work because they want good customer service and thus want to deal with a specific person. Ess reports getting simple phone calls like, "Is person x working today?" on a fairly regular basis when he worked retail. I know I frequently ask people when they will be at work.

Just because your intention is the opposite - you want to show up when she's not there - doesn't mean that random call from a person will mean anything to anyone at all.

Not that I really care where you buy your shoes, it's just that the person on the end of the line has no reason to suspect that you matter to anyone any more than another customer.
K
King

Post by K »

Building muscle around the joints can help a lot. For the muscles around the knee, try Tai Chi like the old people in China do (basically the non-combat form of Tai Chi was adopted by the Chinese government for just this purpose).
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
Actively avoiding someone is the opposite of "stalker-ish".
erik
King

Post by erik »

I'm late to the party, but yeah, just getting around walking and doing simple stretching exercises will do wonders for getting strength back into the joints.

At my job it is entirely possible to sit in a chair for about 12 hours straight. I wasn't mindful of getting up as often as I should and eventually after a year or two there my knees wound up so weak that I could not go up a ladder other than by using upper body strength only to pull myself up. Jumping was impossible.

I started making a habit of getting up, walking around, hopping, balancing on one leg, doing a few knee bends, just a few minutes 2-3 days a week while at work. With that minimal exercise over time I discovered that in my work attire I could do stuff like 7'+ standing long jumps or jumping up to touch our 10' ceiling. Feels remarkable to me anyway since I'm 5'9, a bit overweight, and these brief stretches are about my only real exercise. My coworkers think I'm weird, but it is way more fun than being practically crippled due to atrophy.

Of course, that worked for several years until my habit of always sitting indian style for the past ~30 years finally caught up with me. My left knee was in a fair amount of pain this spring so I have been taking it easier on my stretches and jumping feats and it has been slowly getting better and I no longer sit indian style nor do I cross my legs by resting an ankle upon my knee (I used to do that a lot too). I scaled back my little exercises due to the pain, but am almost back to normal now. I go a little easier and try and stop before it actually gets more sore. I can still do my little jumping feats on occasion but not repeatedly as I used to.

So yeah. Walk around, do little leg stretches starting out very easy, escalating as comfort allows and it will build muscle for support.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

RobbyPants wrote:

I know you don't have a lot of money, but it could be your shoes. I don't know enough about it, but my dad found out that by getting a slightly larger size, his knee/shin pain went away. I don't remember if they were too short or narrow or what, but when he increased one of the dimensions, it helped a lot.
I got some cheap $20 shoes, and it's making a huge difference. I am in considerably less pain today. Also, I seem to be a size 12, not 10 and 1/2 like I thought.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:That comes off as stalker-ish, and I'd rather drive to the next town 10 miles away.
When in the crap did 10 miles become a big deal?
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

It's about $2 in gas (assuming prices are high(er) in your area and you've got really bad mileage), which can be a nuisance when every penny counts, but it hardly seems like an issue for a one-off thing.
Last edited by Chamomile on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

This is something tangentially Gaming Den related, but it's mostly just something I'm curious about, so I'm putting it here. After Sundown uses the Vow of Silence instead of the Masquerade. This is because of copyrights, right? Masquerade sounds much better (at least, to me), so I imagine there must be some reason other than stylistic choice why the name was changed.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

On a related note to Chamomile's question, is there an easy way to figure out if a given term is copyrighted?

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Damnit. I also need a background for a blog where I'm working on new stories. Mostly about an elven barbarian beating the shit out of people.

Which means I'm soliciting for suggestions and links to photoshop how-tos.

fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Prak_Anima wrote:Damnit. I also need a background for a blog where I'm working on new stories. Mostly about an elven barbarian beating the shit out of people.

Which means I'm soliciting for suggestions and links to photoshop how-tos.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... 0_Secs.jpg

and axes:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.ph ... uselang=en