What WotC ruling was the final straw for you?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Re: What WotC ruling was the final straw for you?

Post by Koumei »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1186379743[/unixtime]]but at least we're designing our own variation without the shitiness of White Wolf rules.

It makes me so happy to read that. I made hating White Wolf into an official hobby.

I was also wondering about a few of the terms - Phoenix Duplication, mostly. Fantastic. And by "Fantastic" I mean "Retarded".

Incidentally, I think I should say for my first post here:

Frank and K, I love your work, not only for having stuff that's awesome and balanced, but also for the fascinating lengthy discussions on, for instance, why no-one knows what the fuck alignments mean. And the usage of "stabbing people in the face".

I would seriously pay money for any supplement that made reference to stabbing people in the face.

My final straw for the boards (I still buy WotC books, maybe because I'm stupid, I have no idea): More or less summed up in "Threads that make us laugh/cry". The Races thread, where they believe you seriously need a +4 LA for, I don't know, Fast Healing 1 and Light 1/day. The millions of "Make Fighters better! But don't address any actual problems!" and "Fighters are fine!" threads. The fact that almost no-one there seems able to find their own ass with both hands, a map and a GPS system, but can still type.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

I have to say I thought GURPs was a painful system to play with, but that was because it seemed to have lots of gotchas that if you didn't study it in depth your character was terrible.

Also - suggesting running 'paranoia' for the merits in its rules are misguided at best. I'm pretty sure there actual design intent there is "Let the players write down some numbers of their character sheets and roll some dice and then you the GM basically make up arbitrary outcomes for maximum laugh values"

Which to be honest is fantastic, I had to get librarian repair my copy because it feel to pieces, but the rules themselves are laughable.

Feng shui looks totally awesome, but haven't played.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Why do people always have such kneejerk reactions to infinite combos and the like?
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

My favorite rule system is the one found on the paperback game "Time Lords" - A Dr. Who role playing game. It's a simple notion of difficulty minus attribute. The genius is that the only logical way to beat a difference is ... with a difference. Instead of rolling dice and possibly adding them up, you roll 2d6 and get the difference between them. If your difference beats the difference between the difficulty and attributte you suceed.

The system also generally has attributes based on race, so that almost all NPCS of the same race will have exactly the same stats. It's also interesting how they stretch the model to a number of things that most other systems take for granted, literally shifting even combat distances into this model.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

By the way, if you want a behind-the-scenes look at how WotC designs things, look up the thread about the quickblade PrC ( can't find it right now due to crappy search). A really shitty PrC was posted on the WotC site and mocked here. That soon spilled over into the wizard boards thread where the author was defending it, and in the end our very own NineInchNall[sic] helped design a better version. IIRC it took him forever to convince the designers that things like two good saves and full bab (I'm making this example up) aren't broken.
Nereas
NPC

Post by Nereas »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1186409127[/unixtime]]A really shitty PrC was posted on the WotC site and mocked here. That soon spilled over into the wizard boards thread where the author was defending it, and in the end our very own NineInchNall[sic] helped design a better version. IIRC it took him forever to convince the designers that things like two good saves and full bab (I'm making this example up) aren't broken.

...and lo and behold the first thread made about the new and reasonable Quickblade was a "Crickblade iz borken" waste of bandwidth.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1186385252[/unixtime]]
FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1186380931[/unixtime]]

I take it you've never experienced a discussion of Shadowrun where someone brings up fvcking Bloodzilla. Again.

Bloodzilla?

First off you have to remember that the Threat Chapter author of Street Magic decided that all the threat spirits had to be different. Leaving aside the fact the whole point of the unified spirit types of 4th edition was to reign in that crap and that I wrote Task spirits specifically to cover Insect Workers in the first place... but the real cake taker is the Blood Invoked Spirit. For reasons that defy ready analysis they gain a Force point instead of an Essence point when they drain Essence. Also, they get Evanescence instead of Essence loss so they lose whole Force points instead of Essence over time.

Right? Wrong! First of all, Evanescence is defined as screwing you only if you stay in full Astral form for extended periods of time. Blood Spirits can just Materialize, they can spend a Complex action at any time to not ever lose Force. They don't need to find special vessels or make checks - they just do it.

And secondly, your maximum Essence drain is limited by your base Essence attribute, which for a spirit is your Force. So every time they drain a Force point they also increase their maximum Force by 2. So they don't have a maximum Force. They also don't ever lose Force. They just keep getting bigger forever, at the rate of 6 Force points per child. They become the most brokenly ridiculously powerful creature in the game almost immediately. You don't even have to feed them a regular classroom, just a small one like a special-ed class will do.

---

The really great thing about this is before it ever got printed I flat ou told the author of that section "This is a really shit idea and it's way overpowered. Seriously, it's ridiculously out of line with anything that has ever or will ever exist in the setting." And he said "I really want it to be different."

Aargh.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1186413433[/unixtime]] And he said "I really want it to be different."

Aargh.

-Username17

It sounds as though if designers actually do want to do something different, they could do something really far out like, you know, listen to people who know what they're talking about? Seriously, so many fans can instantly tell when something is wrong, why can't designers comprehend it even when told?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1186409127[/unixtime]]By the way, if you want a behind-the-scenes look at how WotC designs things, look up the thread about the quickblade PrC ( can't find it right now due to crappy search). A really shitty PrC was posted on the WotC site and mocked here. That soon spilled over into the wizard boards thread where the author was defending it, and in the end our very own NineInchNall[sic] helped design a better version. IIRC it took him forever to convince the designers that things like two good saves and full bab (I'm making this example up) aren't broken.

The name of the Class was Swiftblade

(From the gleemax area)
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.ph ... Definitely this thread
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.ph ... r][br]here is what was said about the class on these boards
http://bb.bbboy.net/thegamingden-viewth ... m=0[br][br]
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Which of them would fit "Classic Fantasy" best? And by "Classic Fantasy," I don't mean "Ye Olde Magic Item Shoppe" or "Everybody treats Magic like technology/a common convenience," I mean stuff like LotR, Conan, classic examples from of mortal heroes from mythology who were not loaded to the brim with magic items for every occasion, but could kick ass with nothing but the clothes on their backs just because they are "the heroes?"
Nereas
NPC

Post by Nereas »

I think it's been mentioned but Feng Shui is probably your best bet - it was designed to recreate Hong Kong/Hollywood style awesome and probably carries it off better than d20 ever will.

It's very rules light, looks like everything's about even - a lot of the fun depends upon how well you describe yourself flipping out and stabbing face. Whilst reading I was frequently struck by moments of "I wanna play this now!" and such, the main book was actually *fun* to read. I'm sure there's a better overview on this site somewhere.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1186425821[/unixtime]]It sounds as though if designers actually do want to do something different, they could do something really far out like, you know, listen to people who know what they're talking about?

Hiring someone to fix shit then proceeding to ignore them is more fun.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=41
While I think TD is being a bit too caustic, he's right. This is a disaster. I feel like the devs lied to us, really. Why give us a chance to give feedback if they're holding back the stuff that is OBVIOUSLY stronger? It feels like they're in their own little world, holding "my design ***** is bigger than yours!" contests to see who can create the most egregious, absolutely stupid and broken stuff. They've got an enormous number of free playtesters who are willing to provide honest feedback and break down the game for them, why not use them?
Hurricane of Blades is just disgusting. I just sat and looked at it last night, thinking, "Is there ANYONE at Wizards who honestly looked at this power and thought, 'Hey, this is a pretty good power, this is totally balanced! It certainly wouldn't throw things off at all to have an encounter power stronger than one of the best dailies in the game.'"

It's almost insulting, as the text itself is different than it was in the playtest. So apparently Wizards heard all the people saying this power was incredibly overpowered and then... changed the text slightly in a way that makes no actual difference for how the power is used.

Worst thing is that the power doesn't even help Barbarians out, really. Its not "their" power anymore. Because every single Ranger, Fighter, and heck, Brutal Scoundrel Rogue is now going to multiclass Barbarian to pick up Hurricane of Blades. Because who DOESN'T want Blade Cascade (a better one) as an encounter power?
Muahaha.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

Looking back over this thread I realised something. I caused the Dwarf Beard Ruling. I'm sorry guys.

I was DMing a game where one character wanted to be a Dwarven Defender. His character was very proud of his beard. Very proud. However, he fell into a pungee pit and kobolds threw flasks of alchemists fire at him. He was set on fire and only just survived.

Obviously, his beard was burnt off. However, the player insisted that the beard instantly regrew or some shit like that. I said bollocks to that: its a beard and as such grows like beards do. End of discussion.

Another player decided to ask the Sage, telling everyone about it excitedly. Shortly after, the ruling came out, with the question he asked. He showed it to me and I was like: yeah, whatever.

So... yeah. Looking back, I feel sickened to have helped cause such a waste of time.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Obviously, his beard was burnt off. However, the player insisted that the beard instantly regrew or some shit like that. I said bollocks to that: its a beard and as such grows like beards do. End of discussion.

Another player decided to ask the Sage, telling everyone about it excitedly. Shortly after, the ruling came out, with the question he asked. He showed it to me and I was like: yeah, whatever.
:rofl

Now THAT'S a fucking story to tell the kids.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

HAHAHAHAHA.

Best joke this year so far.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

FrankTrollman wrote:
RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1186385252[/unixtime]You don't even have to feed them a regular classroom, just a small one like a special-ed class will do.

---

The really great thing about this is before it ever got printed I flat ou told the author of that section "This is a really shit idea and it's way overpowered. Seriously, it's ridiculously out of line with anything that has ever or will ever exist in the setting." And he said "I really want it to be different."

Aargh.

-Username17
Wow that really sucks.

It must be just infuriating to deal with asshats like that, where you can literally show them the infinite power loop and they just outright don't even care.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I just now looked that up, and i think i'm missing the part where it's actually an infinity loop. It says that they can only do it up to force when summoned *1.5. Also, it makes a vauge reference that might possibly equal them losing force to evanesence even while materialized, but that just means you have to feed them an extra kid every 3 days.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Koumei wrote:
Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1186379743[/unixtime]]but at least we're designing our own variation without the shitiness of White Wolf rules.

It makes me so happy to read that. I made hating White Wolf into an official hobby.
Forgive my ignorance... but why so much hate towards White Wolf? And are we referring to the "old" White Wolf ruleset or the "new" one? Is there even a real difference? I'm just curious.
Last edited by Ganbare Gincun on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Ah, looks like i have a reprint of street magic where they closed that loophole.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Ganbare Gincun wrote:
Koumei wrote:

Forgive my ignorance... but why so much hate towards White Wolf? And are we referring to the "old" White Wolf ruleset or the "new" one? Is there even a real difference? I'm just curious.
Honestly I can't even remember why I used to dislike White Wolf. I remember that the rules had like, no attempt at balance at all, and a lot of stuff was confusing, but honestly I've only ever really read the main World of Darkness book and even then not in much detail.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Sure. My hatred stems back from the murky depths of time: around 2003, 2004.

System: I hate the old system so much that I'd hate the new system even if playing it cured cancer and the rules stated that every time you roll the dice, strippers enter the house to perform for you. It's not balanced at all, it doesn't let players start out being very competent, progression is slow, it encourages players to focus on one strength at creation then branch out afterwards, combat is really annoying - and there's a lot of combat even though they claim it's all high-art stuff and "none of that hack and slash crap". It plays badly and basically exists to piss you off so you'll say "Fuck it, let's do Magical Tea Party".

Setting: Vampires can be cool - I like vampires in Hellsing, Shadow Hearts and Dark Stalkers, as well as the Necroscope series. I don't like vampires in Twilight, any movie that also includes werewolves or Anne Rice novels. These ones fit in the latter category. Werewolves... can be cool, but I don't find them interesting. But even if I did, I still find the WW angle on them to be shit. Ghosts can be really spooky, but in WW they're just pathetic. I like my fae as sexy nymphs, naiads and dryads, or hilarious little Tinkerbell pixies, not as Changelings. Mages by definition, use magic. So basically there's a huge problem with the WoD Mages.
Anyway, mixing them all together is rarely good when you're going for the sort of supernatural horror feel instead of the "Today we'll take our shotguns and kill _____" feel.

And lastly, if you're going to be an awesome creature, fucking be the awesome creature, don't spend the whole campaign pretending you're not or wishing you could be a real boy. I'm not interested in pretending to be something that is in turn pretending to be human - I could cut the middle man and just be a human. If you're a vampire, then terrorise towns and live in a castle (also glide through windows to tear bodices from voluptuous women). If you're a werewolf, then slaughter people every night of the full moon. If you're a fey, then... play in the forest, enchanting people and having fun. Or something. If you're a mage, BLOW THE FUCKING PLANET UP.

Then we have the playerbase: 95% of all WoD players I've met are colossal douchebags who could benefit from being hit in the face with a brass urn wrapped in barbed wire. They are the most annoying people in existence, and also tend to be emo kids (who are themselves quite annoying). At least you can encourage them to become an hero and nominate them for the Golden ipod Award, though.

I spent a lot of time playing WoD games and not enjoying myself - wishing I was somewhere else, doing something else, then going home and feeling shitty afterwards. So I developed a special hatred of it.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

name_here wrote:Ah, looks like i have a reprint of street magic where they closed that loophole.
....kind of. They just made it trivially easy to summon and bind a giant blood spirit that can personally kill any of the great dragons and made their essence consumption pretty much completely meaningless. They are a bound spirit, they can just go back to the metaplanes (and return) at any time. Evanescence does not affect them at all.

Considering that the original SR4 Essence Drain/Essence Loss combo was totally no broken, and completely usable for Blood Spirits, I have to this day never gotten a straight answer as to why we didn't just use it. I argued with that brick wall literally for months, and I got accused of being difficult. The thing they printed added nothing to the game and destroyed the entire planet. Then they replaced it with an errataed version that still added nothing to the game and merely destroyed any individual thing on the planet, one at a time.

Clowns.

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Koumei wrote:Sure. My hatred stems back from the murky depths of time: around 2003, 2004.

System: I hate the old system so much that I'd hate the new system even if playing it cured cancer and the rules stated that every time you roll the dice, strippers enter the house to perform for you. It's not balanced at all, it doesn't let players start out being very competent, progression is slow, it encourages players to focus on one strength at creation then branch out afterwards, combat is really annoying - and there's a lot of combat even though they claim it's all high-art stuff and "none of that hack and slash crap". It plays badly and basically exists to piss you off so you'll say "Fuck it, let's do Magical Tea Party".

Setting: Vampires can be cool - I like vampires in Hellsing, Shadow Hearts and Dark Stalkers, as well as the Necroscope series. I don't like vampires in Twilight, any movie that also includes werewolves or Anne Rice novels. These ones fit in the latter category. Werewolves... can be cool, but I don't find them interesting. But even if I did, I still find the WW angle on them to be shit. Ghosts can be really spooky, but in WW they're just pathetic. I like my fae as sexy nymphs, naiads and dryads, or hilarious little Tinkerbell pixies, not as Changelings. Mages by definition, use magic. So basically there's a huge problem with the WoD Mages.
Anyway, mixing them all together is rarely good when you're going for the sort of supernatural horror feel instead of the "Today we'll take our shotguns and kill _____" feel.

And lastly, if you're going to be an awesome creature, fucking be the awesome creature, don't spend the whole campaign pretending you're not or wishing you could be a real boy. I'm not interested in pretending to be something that is in turn pretending to be human - I could cut the middle man and just be a human. If you're a vampire, then terrorise towns and live in a castle (also glide through windows to tear bodices from voluptuous women). If you're a werewolf, then slaughter people every night of the full moon. If you're a fey, then... play in the forest, enchanting people and having fun. Or something. If you're a mage, BLOW THE FUCKING PLANET UP.

Then we have the playerbase: 95% of all WoD players I've met are colossal douchebags who could benefit from being hit in the face with a brass urn wrapped in barbed wire. They are the most annoying people in existence, and also tend to be emo kids (who are themselves quite annoying). At least you can encourage them to become an hero and nominate them for the Golden ipod Award, though.

I spent a lot of time playing WoD games and not enjoying myself - wishing I was somewhere else, doing something else, then going home and feeling shitty afterwards. So I developed a special hatred of it.
Hugs?

I.... always liked the idea of a political game, or a game where combat isn't the main focus.

The problem is that most GMs that I've had for this tend to ... well... suck.

They made everything a combat fest where you needed to be stupid powerful in order to accomplish anything.

"fixing" most of the WW games would be pretty easy, just look at the problems you pointed out. All are problems that I saw as well, and all of them I noticed right away. I really have Kieth and Frank to thank for that, if it wasn't for Races of War I wouldn't have come here, and I wouldn't have learned how to look critically at rules.

I'd probably do the following changes:

XP is XP, no double standard system-you buy abilities at the same cost, no "creation points" and then "xp pts." which buy abilities at different rates

Moar Points!-more points to start off with

Limit Highest Ability-put a limit on your highest ability in any area; something like "you can't have any ability that is more than 1 point higher than any other ability"
Of course this is by "groups" of stats; so your physical stats are one "group" and you can have Str 3, Agi 2, Stamina 1; but not 5, 1, 1

Progression - More XP, all the time. Everytime you botch, you get xp, Everytime you finish a session, you get XP. Everytime you use an adjective to describe an action or a botch, you can get 1 xp per adjective (I really like that part of the Minimus system, fucking up is what gives progression, but if you fuck up too much, you can die; I'm not sure how well it works though).
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

I haven't played in a "new" White Wolf game yet, but the people that I've talked to that are familiar with the new rules have indicated to me that the balance of powers between supernatural subtypes is MUCH better then the old system. They all use the same basic mechanics for "special powers" now - Mages in particular got scaled back quite a bit - so you no longer have one type of supernatural creature completely blowing away another type in a mixed game.

I've been fortunate to play in a few good White Wolf games, but they were all "single system" games that involved what I would consider "atypical" WW players - no LARPers, no Anne Rice fans, no Twilight fans - just "regular" role-players running around as vampires instead of killing them for a change.