Tome Warlock

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Tome Warlock

Post by Prak »

ok, I seem to recall someone writting up a warlock for Tome, possibly Ceilingcat based on comments regarding it, but I can't find it, so where the hell is it?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ecureuil_Diabolique
NPC

Re: Tome Warlock

Post by Ecureuil_Diabolique »

At the WotC forums I know that someone used Frank & K's Fire Mage and True Fiend to create a Warlock.

Not sure if that is the referenced one though.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Ecureuil_Diabolique at [unixtime wrote:1186625097[/unixtime]]At the WotC forums I know that someone used Frank & K's Fire Mage and True Fiend to create a Warlock.

Not sure if that is the referenced one though.

Kresalak=Cieling Cat

Here it is on these boards
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Leress at [unixtime wrote:1186633277[/unixtime]]

Kresalak=Cieling Cat

Here it is on these boards

Recently, I've been thinking of Leress as the "Handy Link-Providing Chick".

So, thanks for all the facilitation, Leress. It's a great service you do.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

My favorite stupid comment in an otherwise quite interesting (though radical) Warlock proposal:

[counturl=90]http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=12[/counturl]

Kres/CC, I don't think D&D is ready for that class quite yet >_<
Not until we have F n K Barbarians (which I love), and Fighters that cast Wish with their swords.

IMO Seerow went too far with the personal comments, but to be expected. This is NerdsVille, after all.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Sigma wrote:Kres/CC, I don't think D&D is ready for that class quite yet >_<
Not until we have F n K Barbarians (which I love), and Fighters that cast Wish with their swords.
Notice we do have RoW barbarians - on sword-wishing, fvck that.

Also, it's true that Seerow went too personal, but his comments on the sphere balance were in fact supported by Frank. Aside from that, he even provided examples of non-Evil warlocks to the retards hung in the lack alignment restrictions.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The thing I find interesting is actually Bubbles isn't a particularly broken power set. It has some power-plays in it, but nothing really extraordinary, even if it's all at-will.

Let's say for the moment that you fight with Bubbles and have everything at-will. You're 13th level, and you face a Gelugon. Gelugons of course, are Pokemon so it says "Gelugon! Gelugon!" and then you have to roll initiative. Maybe you win, maybe you slap him in a forcecage, but so what?

A Gelugon is more than 10' tall, so you have to use the barred cage version. Gelugons can teleport out whenever they want, and their spels can pass through the bars. The cage doesn't really matter, and that's pretty much true for every CR 13 monster (except the Iron Golem).

If the Gelugon doesn't feel like trading Battlefield Control (at-will wall of ice) or Direct Damage (at will cone of cold), it can greater teleport out of the combat and rely on its +23 Move Silently modifier and +5 Initiative to get the drop when combat starts up again. If the Gelugon does feel like trading punches through a barred cage, then you haven't really done anything to it.

----

Even at-will timestop isn't a big deal at the level you get it. Every round you get a couple of rounds worth of timestop actions, but you still can't target any opponent or do anything really interesting. I don't think there is a "delay spell-like abilty" feat that would allow you to temporal stasis a bunch of enemies. And even if there was, characters with wail of the banshee don't need elaborate combos to make all their enemies make a save or die.

The Bubbles sphere is an elaborate "fuck you" to the entire gaming community. It looks completely broken based on the criteria that most people seem to use to evaluate D&D material. But it's not. Go ahead and fight level appropriate monsters. Use that awesome power and try to break it. I double dare you.

---

Now I will say that if you use the interpretation where timestop can be nested or extended, then the sphere can be broken at character level 19 - but honestly under that interpretation Clerics with DMM Persistance and the Time Domain won D&D a long time ago.

-Username17
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

That was ... most eloquent (and thoroughly true), Frank. Still, I'm somewhat inclined to quote you on the "last ability 5/day" in that warlock thread ...

Frank wrote:Gelugons of course, are Pokemon so it says "Gelugon! Gelugon!" and then you have to roll initiative.
I'm pretty sure this will have consequences on my current game ...
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Wow, that actually looks like a fun, playable class. Nice work. I'm going to try to swing it past my DM the next time I have to generate a character.

Btw, nice touch with the skills. I like how it gets the things that matter. Spot, Listen, Hide, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, UMD.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

"A GELUGON??? Holy shit! I gotta catch that.

Cervidal, I choose youuuu!"

"Cervi cervidal!"

*gets eaten*

"OK. Wow. That never happened before.."

Some friends and I actually considered doing that with various stupid monsters, as Pokemon was popular with some of them at the time. This plan didn't go over well with the non-Pokemans players due to the retardedness factor of it, yet the Shock Lizard was still replaced with something fluffy and yellow.

There was an old item called "warp marble" in AD&D.
I introduced it to 3.0e as a joke item, much to my dismay later.

Can you say, "Remorhaz in a tiny ball"?

EDIT: Also, Bubbles sphere just might be the biggest trick and ruse among all RPG creations we've ever seen. When seen at first (even without the "Access" assumption mistake I made) it does indeed look extremely good but when applied in various situations just doesn't show it.
You got us. Even I fell for it, but we have yet to truly see if this Houdini-trick is indeed an illusion or really overpowered; we need proof in action. Could swing either way, and damn it Frank you got me convinced against myself.. now I'll have to go push for Tome of Fiends material and/or DM a session wherein a fiend uses it against players equally equipped and prepared.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.