MC Koumei representing

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Okay, the character is going to be a Samurai / Fire Mage after all, and she would probably join the crew just for pillaging people and gathering wealth so she can build a new shrine for herself some day (and she probably wanted to make friends too, but she wouldn't admit that unless she was drunk or something). Her background (if allowed) could be "Came Back Wrong" or something of the sort (basically, something revived her and failed badly at it. It also explains why she has a somewhat sadistic streak along with dull grey eyes and snow white hair) but it would have the same effect as the background "Moil Wrought" (the effects of positive and negative energy are reversed for her, as if she was undead).

I'd probably make her a Carnage Princess once she has the requirements filled, and I'd try and put the skills so it KINDA fits for a shrine maiden / demon huntress gone rogue.
(I originally thought that I would want to give her the Revenant template instead of that "Came Back Wrong" stuff, but I think that's already pushing it...)

I'll probably have most things ready when I get out of work and actually get a chance to fill out a character sheet and roll dice. I still feel rusty (I've been an MC so long that I've almost forgotten what it felt like to actually be a PC for a change.) and worry if I need to randomly ask for help and such (like with what items I should start out with and such).

Edits, because I could.
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 19 times in total.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I always find it hard not to take Combat School for tome melee characters. Likewise Blitz adds scary amounts of damage for samurai-auto crit abilities.
There are two ways to do critical hits, and I've found them in such even numbers between groups that I don't even know which one is actually RAW, because it doesn't matter since the house rule is just as common. In the first one, you multiply only the number of dice rolled, leaving modifiers alone. In this case, Blitz adds an extra 4 damage to an attack with a median output of 24, which isn't really jaw-dropping.

If you multiply the modifiers and the dice, then I'm already doing an average of 36 damage in a single attack, giving me roughly even or better odds of insta-gibbing a gargoyle and a harpy, and likely enough I'll shave well over half the HP off of an owlbear, a polar bear, or a dire boar. Do I need to be able to one-hit-kill everything Koumei is likely to throw at us? It's not like there aren't other party members to finish it off. Though I'll probably take the Combat Style at level 6 just because calling it something with "Harvest" in the name would be cool.

Besides, now that you've shown me the Master of Terror feat (I looked through some of those, but they didn't seem all that interesting, guess I should've kept looking), I really want to take it. Problem being, Intimidate isn't a class skill for Samurai, which is really a problem for my character concept. So I'm writing up a new background which, if Koumei accepts it, will dovetail nicely with that feat and my character concept in general.

Jack of Pumpkins
Before its untimely demise, you were the Jack of Pumpkins for Grimm Operations, a company in the professional villainy industry. As such, you were the head spook for a company founded on spookiness.
Effect: You gain Intimidate as a class skill and no one ever stops to chat when they pass you in the corn fields at night.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Grabbed an online roller (Used the Stat Roll option, which for some reason did NOT save my results unlike the Full Roll) and got...

So...which level do the newcomers start in? I still feel like some details that I need are missing that I would wanna ask here already
(though I bet I'll be filled in on those details later anyway). Sheet here, incomplete as it is http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=327324

Edits due to updating status on character creation and such. Also, there's some stuff I wrote on my earlier post that are relevant to character creation.
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Chamomile wrote:There are two ways to do critical hits, and I've found them in such even numbers between groups that I don't even know which one is actually RAW,
SRD Link

icyshadowlord wrote: I still need to set up all these IRC things and such... (I sound so pathetic when I phrase it like that)
Looks like you got it figgered with time to spare. :p

(12:13:48 PM) The topic for #arbitrarystring is: #arbitrarystring TENGEN TOPPA FRIENDSHIP PUNCH
(12:39:13 PM) Icyshadow [Icyshadowlo@Nightstar-547dd3cc.elisa-laajakaista.fi] entered the room.
(12:39:20 PM) Icyshadow: Oh shit
(12:39:28 PM) Icyshadow: I actually found out how thisn thing works
(12:39:34 PM) Icyshadow: this*
(12:44:17 PM) Icyshadow: Hello??
(1:24:44 PM) Icyshadow left the room (quit: [NS] Quit: HydraIRC -> http://www.hydrairc.com <- Now with extra fish!).
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Posting for timestamp to double-check times.

EDIT: Alright, by my calculations the game starts in six and a half hours. This accurate?
Last edited by Chamomile on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Yup, that's the start time.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Well, I stayed at the session for as long as I could. And next session is when? :biggrin:

Edit. The wording of "Impress Flames" confuses me. My Charisma modifier is a -2, while my Fire Mage level is 1...

"Every time a Fire Mage inflicts Fire damage on any target, whether with his class abilities or another source of fire, he inflicts an amount of extra Fire Damage equal to his class level or his Charisma modifier, whichever is less."

Does that mean ALL fire damage I do takes a -2 penalty to damage, or just a +1 to it?
Also, do my Fire Bolts do 1d6 or 4d6? (it says it does 1d6 per level, but didn't say per level of what)
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

WE ATTACK THE GROUND TO GET IT TO YIELD UP ITS SECRETS TO US

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I assume Koumei will do a proper summary later, but I rememberd to log this one, here are some quotes
(11:34:31 PM) Crystal: Well if we can land some clients who are Pinatas....
(11:34:32 PM) Nasturtium: "Well, hatch in the ground, I hear that's the way to open them. Though I think we'd lose someone..."
(11:36:31 PM) ***Princess_Sparkles uses the power of DIPLOMACY to KNOCK ON THE HATCH DOOR
(11:36:53 PM) Mister_Cavern: "Go away, I don't want any visitors and whatever you're selling I already have one!"
(11:46:45 PM) Hobbes: "Can I help you?"
(11:46:46 PM) Crystal: I think this is our first time too
(11:46:56 PM) Nasturtium: "...does the shrine maiden represent agoraphobia?"
(11:47:40 PM) Princess_Sparkles: "Yes, we're here to help with the various phobias of the person this Character World is tied to. Do you happen to know your way around this place?"
(11:48:01 PM) Hobbes: (Um. I would imagine the answer to that is "no." I confess I have no idea what I'm doing here.)

(11:52:17 PM) Princess_Sparkles: "I am almost 100% sure you aren't suffering from some horrible disease, excellent."
(11:52:26 PM) Hobbes: "Comforting."
(11:52:56 PM) Crystal: "Ohhhh, a Pumpkin! Can we loot it?"

(12:16:50 AM) Hobbes: "Those look like undesirable workspace variables. We should optimize them."
(12:16:52 AM) Crystal: 'Slimy - and not the good kind! Ick Ick Ick"
(12:16:55 AM) Mister_Cavern: Slugs keep falling. It's like rain, really, in that it keeps happening. But it isn't a massive flood of them, just a bunch here and there.
(12:16:56 AM) Nasturtium: "Crew! We should probably do something about that! *points to the slime*"
(1:04:45 AM) Princess_Sparkles: "Therapists. Everyone gets that one wrong."
(1:04:47 AM) Mister_Cavern: [Agoraphobia has been subdued!]
(1:04:53 AM) Nasturtium: "Wait, no. The other thing... the...therapists! that's right"
(1:05:19 AM) Princess_Sparkles: "Am I the only one who doesn't need Magic Boost to think properly..."
(1:05:26 AM) Kuniko: "Oh, and what kind of therapy methods do they have? Overtly physical ones?"
(1:05:54 AM) Princess_Sparkles: "I heard something about talking. And also sending people into the Character World, which is here."
(1:05:58 AM) Hobbes: "Thinking properly tends to be sub-optimal in executive or sub-executive level tactical operations."
(1:06:03 AM) Nasturtium: "Wouldn't know, I don't get involved in their theraping, and they don't get involved in my pirating."
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

icyshadowlord: same time, same place, next week on the Sooty Show

It was assumed that any Fire Mage would have a good Charisma. I think we'll go with "Minimum +1". So for the rest of your life (unless your Cha gets boosted) it will just be +1.

And Fire Bolts are, as of my executive ruling right now (and IIRC a general consensus), per character level, so 4d6 at the moment. Or 4d6+1 for you.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Here's the sketch of Cham's character I did after the game:
Not much, not my greatest, but shouldn't be too terrible.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I like it. The gap between his breastplate and pants (or whatever it is he's wearing down there exactly, it's hard to tell) exaggerates his gaunt form, which is a nice touch. I'd been having a hard time imagining armor that didn't hide his thinness without also being so minimalist as to barely even be there.
Last edited by Chamomile on Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So, what happened in the latest episode of TENGEN TOPPA FRIENDSHIP PUNCH!

The crew finally arrived at their destination, a small coastal town (a stack of houses and huts and shacks, swaying haphazardly in the breeze) where they were to find a client, Elkford, who suffered from agoraphobia, acrophobia and adolescent-onset ocd.

Princess Sparkles decided to go buy more wine, visiting Amy's Wine House. No information was gained, however.

Crystal decided to fly and look around, finding (but not noticing - READING COMPREHENSION FAIL) a rabbit hole with a hatch.

Nasturtium went around the places of ill repute, spending time at a whore house staffed entirely by slimes/oozes. Business isn't so great for them for some reason. Still, one spoke of her cousin, Elkford, who stays holed up in his house all the time.

So the party went and visited Elkford, along with the therapists, who performed some therapy... the party instantly got teleported into Character World, finding the newcomers. The general consensus was to form a party and continue.

First, they found air elementals tormenting a clone of Elkford - there was an endless metal field, with a burning sky, raining slugs, and according to Elkford it would soon start crawling with zombies, skunk surfers, lymph-leeches and jism-monkeys. He was chained to the sky while being tormented.

So the party elected to hurt the elementals. Due to "lol we can't be critted" it wasn't as fast as they hoped, but the party took minimal damage. They then rescued the clone, curing [Agoraphobia].

From there, they ventured onwards, finding themselves at the top of a helical staircase... with giant soldier ants upon it. Long story short, while it took them several rounds (decent AC), they didn't get hurt at all (shit attack bonus), before reaching the bottom, where they saw only a brief teaser of next episode, involving sexy demons of some kind. So tune in, for the next exciting episode of TENGEN TOPPA FRIENDSHIP PUNCH!, "The Case of the Black Hand".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I wish I had some of the Wednesdays free of work. I seriously feel bad after I was forced to leave last time. Also, sexy demons sound interesting.
(I was reminded by a friend of an inside joke involving Kuniko and a whip...)

Also, silly edit. I can imagine someone eventually asking "are you really even a shrine maiden?" from her.

New edit since I got a picture of Kuniko drawn for me http://icyshadowlord.deviantart.com/art ... -257393410
(I feel really damn indebted to the guy who did it by now)
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Koumei wrote:Princess Sparkles decided to go buy more wine, visiting Amy's Wine House. No information was gained, however.

Crystal decided to fly and look around, finding (but not noticing - READING COMPREHENSION FAIL) a rabbit hole with a hatch.
The names are reversed from what actually happened.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Going to have only five hours of sleep before the game starts. This is going to hurt. XD
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Because I threatened to sig this, here it is, wonderfully stripped of all context:
(10:35:09 PM) Koumei: (also, rabid, re: the maid thing. I was just using Yuffie
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

...as a dice roller for another (forum) game.

(Yuffie is the name of the dicebot. I had previously made some Maid rolls. rabid wanted to know if I was playing Maid by myself.)
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

(12:36:50 AM) Hobbes: (Yes. That's certainly the reason why you did that. It has nothing to do with wanting to ease into hot lesbian bondage sex.)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

And this time that wasn't in reference to something I said or did!

Anyway, should it ever matter, the six Kunnoichi all have identical stats:
Level 3 Human Ninja Minion (14 15 13 10 8 12), with MW Short Sword (or equivalent) and Magic Clothing
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Oh, they're actually Ninjas instead of Kunoichi?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

(1:46:08 AM) ***Nasturtium does horrible things to the Kunoichi back in her cabin
(1:46:11 AM) Mister_Cavern: Huh? Oh, yeah, you can do that
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Horrible things as a relative term?

Because I can think of Kuniko wanting to join in on that kind of fun. (Too bad I'm now at work so I can't jump on to any chat)

Edit: Updated Kuniko's character sheet with more appropriate fluff text and the Star Token in her inventory. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=327324
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

[2011-09-13 21:21:55] <Mister_Cavern> Five kunnoichi remain, eyes gleaming with... anger? Excitement? Something. They spring to action! Four of them instantly turn and shout at Hobbes, "Drop the weapon and grovel!"
[2011-09-13 21:22:08] <Mister_Cavern> (For which he is allowed a Will Save, DC 16)
[2011-09-13 21:26:04] <Hobbes> !dice 1d20+9 I thought you were great in the Kingdom Hearts series.
[2011-09-13 21:26:05] <Yuffie> Hobbes : Result of5 1d20+9 I thought you were great in the Kingdom Hearts series. : 12(18) 27
[2011-09-13 21:26:24] <Hobbes> (See? Yuffie helps the people who give credit where it's due.)
[2011-09-13 21:26:45] <Princess_Sparkles> (and then steals their materia)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Prak: the Ninja Minion class, in the Disgaeagame Sourcebook. It's an NPC class. Pretty inept, as you may have noticed.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ah, ok, good to know.