What people want and what makes them happy rarely coincide.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

ModelCitizen wrote:@Tussock: Speak for yourself. You may not be able to handle picking weapons off the big boy list but lots of people were offended by that design. As I recall it was the first major WTF moment for people watching the 4e previews.
My first WTF was when they lauded giving up on writing rules that tried to model in-game events. So we get, you know, Wetsauce Thunderduck: Cha vs Ref, 30' burst sword, of light, slide-2, 3d12+Wis, once per day, slowed until saved.
When you take people's choices away because you think they're not smart enough to make them, that makes you an arrogant prick and at least part of your potential audience will notice.
Sure, but you're still complaining that they gave Rogues a choice of two things, which the study in question did not promote in any way. 7 +-2 choices is what the human brain works well on, and thus what people enjoy thinking about the most. People naturally chunk any bigger sets into that range, which eats away at their confidence in having made a good choice. So goes the story.

And yes, people with 20+ years of experience can do more, and are good at chunking any excess data neatly. Bully for them, they still don't need nor want 12 polearms and 8 one-handed swords to choose from.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

People like to feel they're making choices, as long as they feel like the choices they make are the right ones. Obviously poor choices make people feel good when they don't take them. Trap options piss people right off when they discover they picked wrong.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Painkiller does indeed have five weapons. Those weapons have two or three things they do each. But you get to choose one of five different weapons. I have no idea why it is being claimed as a counter example to Lago's point.

Actually 4e's stunted class structure fairly perfectly demonstrates the point as well. People like the idea of having a big list, which means that when you tell them "there are only 8 classes" people get offended, and do so without actually reading the rules. If they had function called the word "class" at a different point, such that the Orbizard and the Harry Sniper were different classes there would have been like 19 classes in the basic book. And since they would have been cut up into groups, people would have been able to select classes really quickly (for example, you'd have 3 power type choices and then you'd have 6 arcanists to choose from). I mean, the game would have still been shitty, because all of the choices are boring, but simply by repackaging it so that the Inferlock was called a Warlock and the Starlock was called an Alienist and they both got to select things of the Pact list, a lot more people would have been willing to give it a go.

People like the illusion of having lots of choice, but they don't like actually picking from long lists. So giving them a series of choices that chops the long list into manageable lists improves player happiness.

-Username17
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

What point? Lago doesn't HAVE a point. This thread is just him complaining AGAIN that WoF didn't have everyone bend over and kiss it's ass for no good reason.

There is NO point, he hasn't said anything new or remotely valid. He is just whining because no one likes WoF. AGAIN.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

FrankTrollman wrote:If they had function called the word "class" at a different point, such that the Orbizard and the Harry Sniper were different classes there would have been like 19 classes in the basic book. And since they would have been cut up into groups, people would have been able to select classes really quickly (for example, you'd have 3 power type choices and then you'd have 6 arcanists to choose from). I mean, the game would have still been shitty, because all of the choices are boring, but simply by repackaging it so that the Inferlock was called a Warlock and the Starlock was called an Alienist and they both got to select things of the Pact list, a lot more people would have been willing to give it a go.

People like the illusion of having lots of choice, but they don't like actually picking from long lists. So giving them a series of choices that chops the long list into manageable lists improves player happiness.
I can get behind this idea. As long as the few choices you're left with after whatever illusory means of chopping it down (saying "I want to cast spells, so let's ignore everything that doesn't do that", the d6 roll ruling out all class options except FF Dark Knight, Rage Mage, Summoner, Assassin and Samurai Pizza Cat, whatever) are still numerous enough (ideally there should be 3-10 equally good things to choose from after the list has been reduced to your actual list). And as long as you're left with good options.

Let's use the WoF thing because we know that's really what the whole thread is about: if I roll X and the options I can choose are Magic Missile, Power Attack for 5, Full Defence, Flee, Shocking Grasp and Make a Jump Check, I am going to slam the book shut on the author's genitals.

If the options are "Make them Nauseated", "Make them Stunned", "Make them Paralysed", "Make them Sleep", "Make them Dazed" and "Make them Blind and Deaf" then it's all good. Same number of choices in both cases. It's just that in one case, the choices are all shit, and you're just offending people by telling them to choose between them instead of using an actual good power they could be using. In the other, the choices are all good, even if some are outright better than others. It doesn't matter, because they say "I can choose, I can choose from a small list, and they're all good choices."

Note that if the method of cutting the list down is "I want to win this fight, so I'll narrow it down to the category of 'spells that fucking kill people' and pick one of those" then you are just guaranteed to get that second, better result, where someone chooses from a small list of good things and feels good about it.

Sure, you don't get this issue if the "master list" that gets reduced doesn't contain any of those good options. But there's already a game that lets you choose from a bunch of near-identical shitty powers. It's called 4th edition.

But I can see the core idea, that people like an illusion of choice, and then a much smaller actual choice. And if you can deal with the matter of making sure that, however it is that the illusion is being handled, their remaining choices are still varied and meaningful, then I could get behind the idea.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
ModelCitizen
Knight-Baron

Post by ModelCitizen »

FrankTrollman wrote:Actually 4e's stunted class structure fairly perfectly demonstrates the point as well. People like the idea of having a big list, which means that when you tell them "there are only 8 classes" people get offended, and do so without actually reading the rules. If they had function called the word "class" at a different point, such that the Orbizard and the Harry Sniper were different classes there would have been like 19 classes in the basic book. And since they would have been cut up into groups, people would have been able to select classes really quickly (for example, you'd have 3 power type choices and then you'd have 6 arcanists to choose from). I mean, the game would have still been shitty, because all of the choices are boring, but simply by repackaging it so that the Inferlock was called a Warlock and the Starlock was called an Alienist and they both got to select things of the Pact list, a lot more people would have been willing to give it a go.

-Username17
You got the theory backwards. Lago's theory says that number 8 makes people happier than the number 19. You're saying 19 is better than 8.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Koumei wrote:Let's use the WoF thing because we know that's really what the whole thread is about: if I roll X and the options I can choose are Magic Missile, Power Attack for 5, Full Defence, Flee, Shocking Grasp and Make a Jump Check, I am going to slam the book shut on the author's genitals.
Actually, this is in reference to magic weapons. That the party finding six different magic wepaons and having players pick from those when outfitting themselves for battle is way more fun in both the long run and the short run than allowing the player to pick one weapon off of a list of hundreds and then keep it for the rest of the campaign. This thread is a specific spin off of precisely that discussion, because Team Katana Fetish was claiming that it was not true on a thread largely about how being really good at stabbing people with a sword is not a high level character concept.

I don't actually know where you are going with your WoF analogy, so I'm not going to comment on it. The point of the thread is that if you left people buy any magic weapon from any list ever made, that what actually happens is that people get demotivated by the large list and just pick one weapon and then use it until they and everyone around them are super bored with hearing about it. While if the party has a short and manageable list of magic items in a pile, they will change up which one they are using on a regular basis based on the perceived strengths and weaknesses of the weaponry.

That people say they want to use a flail for every attack they ever make, but when 4e D&D actually gave that to people it turned out to be incredibly boring.

-Username17
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

ModelCitizen wrote:
You got the theory backwards. Lago's theory says that number 8 makes people happier than the number 19. You're saying 19 is better than 8.
The theory is a lot more complicated than you are giving it credit for. The theory is that the number 30 makes people happier than the number 6, but that actually poring through a list of 30 to make a single choice is demotivating, while going through an entire list of six is not. And that by giving people iterated choices, you can present them a number 30 while still having each list by only 5 or 6. And that this would make people happier than either giving them a short list or a long list straight off.

The bigger number makes better advertising but more frustrating reading. The smaller list makes worse advertising but more satisfying selections. Maximizing appeal and satisfaction involves presenting people with the final number after a series of iterated choices, but actually having people make a series of choices off relatively short lists one at a time. Because what people think will make them happy is having a long list, but what will actually make them happy is selecting from a short list.

-Username17
A Man In Black
Duke

Re: What people want and what makes them happy rarely coincide.

Post by A Man In Black »

Draco_Argentum wrote:The arsenal of weapons is much better for a run and gun shooter. The only reason for restricting the options is if you're aiming for something approximating realistic. Doing it in something like FEAR was actually the most frustrating part of the game. You couldn't use the fun guns very much because carrying a gun that you can't get ammo for is insane.
Alternately, you're trying to create distinct roles in a game which isn't single-player (Rainbow Six, Team Fortress). Or (nearly) every weapon is functional in the majority of situations, and you're mostly focusing on personal taste or minor situational advantages (Halo).

Single-player games which have the luxury of taking an entire single-player campaign to stagger new introductions can have larger arsenals, sure. Even those games tend to trim the superfluous weapons (peashooter pistol, the weaker machine gun you get before the cool one, etc.). FEAR isn't really relevant to anything because it was a lousy shooter wrapped around a debatably interesting horror game.

I'm not necessarily arguing for cutting everything to the bone, just that this similar process of "people saying they like lots and lots of stuff, revolutionary games reduce the amount of stuff you carry, people suddenly realize that less can be more" in another, very similar arena.
ModelCitizen wrote:There are other issues there too though. The Halo two-weapon scheme had nothing to do option paralysis, it was about making the interface work for a console controller. On a keyboard you have the number keys but a controller can spare about two buttons (next weapon/last weapon). Halo didn't give you fifteen different weapons like Half-Life because it would be a pain in the ass to cycle through them all in mid fight.
Fiddling with controls for umpteen million different fucking weapons neatly analogous to option paralysis in TTRPGs.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

It's why the model is referred to as the illusion of choice. Actual options are limited. The presentation of those options makes them appear expansive than they actually are.

It's a form of manipulation that works best when used in moderation, preferably in addition to the ability to make less restricted choices.

It could conserve some rule book space in a modular rule system, though 4e has shown that this is not neccesarily the case with their power splat books.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

since this all spurs form a player wanting the DM to tailor something for that player, i ahve to ask, what about the other players?

is no one going to mention or discus that really, that a single player influence can cause problems for other players?

lets say everyone agrees they want a arabian type setting to play in and someone decides to be a druid, since that is what they want.. and there just isnt many animals or plants to be a druid for. does this player wants really contribute to the game for everyone else?

where does a single player's wants collide with the ability to continue the game for others?

or has this been mentioned here and i missed it somewhere?

so this person wants to play a druid in an arabian setting, so needs the plants to be numerous enough to be a druid, but this contradicts what the others wanting an arabian setting wanted.

now there is no game until this is sorted out, so that players wants is now making them happy while there is no game?
Last edited by shadzar on Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Why can't you have an Arab druid? Is this an oil thing? A racism thing? Do you hate muslims?

A Bedouin that has a connection wih the land.

Can find water in the desert.

Carries a scimitar.

Does not wear metal armour.

Has a pet Camel or Falcon.

There you go. AD&D Druid.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

FrankTrollman wrote:The point of the thread is that if you left people buy any magic weapon from any list ever made, that what actually happens is that people get demotivated by the large list and just pick one weapon and then use it until they and everyone around them are super bored with hearing about it. While if the party has a short and manageable list of magic items in a pile, they will change up which one they are using on a regular basis based on the perceived strengths and weaknesses of the weaponry.

That people say they want to use a flail for every attack they ever make, but when 4e D&D actually gave that to people it turned out to be incredibly boring.
That sounds reasonable. As for the WoF thing, I'm not sure I can put it in few enough words to not be tl;dr/random drivel, yet enough to make sense.

Oddly though, Fire Mages are enjoyable all the way through their career. Either it's because setting people on fire will always be fun*, or because their abilities actually do get bigger (set a city on fire) or more varied (make a specific wall of fire to thwart enemy plans, set someone's mind on fire), whereas "I HIT HIM WITH MY SWORD", no matter how many fancy turns you make, is always the same unless you do it like Disgaea.

*My arraignment is this week.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
ModelCitizen
Knight-Baron

Post by ModelCitizen »

FrankTrollman wrote: The theory is a lot more complicated than you are giving it credit for. The theory is that the number 30 makes people happier than the number 6, but that actually poring through a list of 30 to make a single choice is demotivating, while going through an entire list of six is not. And that by giving people iterated choices, you can present them a number 30 while still having each list by only 5 or 6. And that this would make people happier than either giving them a short list or a long list straight off.
Ok that's different. Lago's post suggested actually taking options away would make the "player" (the English student) more happy. You're saying the player should have the same number of options, but organized into a tree he can search more quickly. That makes a hell of a lot more sense.
Last edited by ModelCitizen on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Winnah wrote:Why can't you have an Arab druid? Is this an oil thing? A racism thing? Do you hate muslims?

A Bedouin that has a connection wih the land.

Can find water in the desert.

Carries a scimitar.

Does not wear metal armour.

Has a pet Camel or Falcon.

There you go. AD&D Druid.
people wanting an arabian style game are looking at modern day and arabian knights tales..rather than arabian area being lush greenlands that one time there was.

hanging gardens of babylon was an anomaly in the sense of arabian.

so to ask for it with everyone understanding one thing, then have the druid connections ascribe to another form, therein lies the problem.

everyone else agreed to a desert climate, while the druid player is now wanting grasslands and small forests. so everyone else agreed to play on Athas, while the druid player wants Abier-Athas....

"He can pass through overgrown areas"
"He can learn the languages of woodland creatures."

in a desert these things arent always readily available.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

ModelCitizen wrote:You're saying the player should have the same number of options, but organized into a tree he can search more quickly. That makes a hell of a lot more sense.
That isn't precisely what he is saying at all.

Go read the WoF thread for his, lets say, "clarifications" on what he thinks about this. Because back THERE he told us all that everyone who thought the tree idea was cool were a bunch of fucking moron grognards who didn't understand his artistic vision. Frank and Lago were even describing navigating a choice tree with some poorly chosen name and telling us all it was a bad thing (indeed, a bad if not impossible thing) for games and should never ever be done, the exact name they were using escapes me right now...

But lets not for a second pretend this is anything other than an attempt by Lago for about the ninth time running to extend the WoF thread. AGAIN.

So I suggest you read up on the WoF stuff if you want to know what these idiots are still crying about.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

ModelCitizen wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote: The theory is a lot more complicated than you are giving it credit for. The theory is that the number 30 makes people happier than the number 6, but that actually poring through a list of 30 to make a single choice is demotivating, while going through an entire list of six is not. And that by giving people iterated choices, you can present them a number 30 while still having each list by only 5 or 6. And that this would make people happier than either giving them a short list or a long list straight off.
Ok that's different. Lago's post suggested actually taking options away would make the "player" (the English student) more happy. You're saying the player should have the same number of options, but organized into a tree he can search more quickly. That makes a hell of a lot more sense.
The English Assignment is basically a 1:1 rip from a real historical study that found pretty much exactly that. Selecting from a list of six books to write a report about is more motivating and leads to higher task satisfaction than selecting from thirty books to write a report about. The thing is: people don't know that about themselves and it is "intuitively obvious" that the opposite is true. Indeed if you give people the choice of selecting from a list of 30 books to write the report on or selecting from a list of 6 books to write the report on, they will choose thirty books every fucking time. Biting off more than we can chew is pretty much hard wired into our psyche.

Which is what this thread is about. People want something which is very different from what will actually make them happy. The goal of design, then, is to perform sleight of hand so that the people think they are getting what they want, but actually getting what they will enjoy.

The character class example is pretty solid. People want a large number of character classes, but they don't actually enjoy making selections from long lists. What to do? Give them a list of class categories that each contain a manageable list of character classes, and then advertise the high number of total classes to get people into the book. The bait and switch where they end up picking off the Arcanist List that has Wizard, Illusionist, Warlock, Necromancer, and Conjurer won't offend them nearly as much as it would demotivate them to find themselves combing through a list that also had all the rogues (Assassin, Bard, Swashbuckler, Ninja, and Thief) and all the champions (Paladin, Hero, Knight, Warlord, and Baneguard) and so on and so on.

-Username17
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

shadzar wrote:everyone else agreed to a desert climate, while the druid player is now wanting grasslands and small forests. so everyone else agreed to play on Athas, while the druid player wants Abier-Athas....
Druids are a playable class in Dark Sun. :lol:
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

FrankTrollman wrote:The character class example is pretty solid. [some] People want a large number of character classes, but they don't actually enjoy making selections from long lists. What to do?
fixed that for you, and to note when i started rewriting AD&D about 2 decades ago i went through a process of removing classes to simplify things down to abilities to see if that would work. the problem came down to the long list of little abilities that could be given to a character and the value of each and how to assign them.

not even bothering the "balance" of power of the abilities the size of the list such as 2.5 gave with little bits and pieces of customizable class abilities and race abilities, and 3.x skills/feats... it became a futile effort in silliness.

you really dont need THAT much. the ability to quickly make a character based on a few small but important choices is what people preffered all the while saying they wanted lots of interchangeable parts.

i really dont see that has changed. sure computer let you manage the little parts quicker in some cases, but in the end, you still have to deal with them all during play, and if you aren't playing on a computer, this takes time for each single step to check each little part.

this is why MMOs can do things TTRPGs cannot, because they can manage all those little parts seamlessly and give them to you slowly in chunks. it just cannot come back to TTRPGs even at the lengths 3.x tried to apply those number of choices. that is where "builds" come from rather than gameplay.

for some that IS fun, but then what do you do with the character when you have it built? you often get frustrated with it not performing as well with all the time put into it to make it such as K in another thread feeling "left out" when a character that took time to make and play gets killed or otherwise impaired from playing, and a few other people that get bored when they dont have what furthers their plan of their build.

this is something people should probably think about that how players fel about now with their builds or special rapier requirements as magic should think about that DMs have been going through for decades...a well laid plan goes off course or gets destroyed in a single die roll. DMs rarely get so upset to kill the campaign over it, they continue on. well there are those that do NOT and throw a temper tantrum like the 3.x game i played, or go into TPK mode to get revenge.

also to think about that efort put into building and makes the game unplayable through losing a character or an amount of playtime means those times playing the character are not worth the effort into making them if it will jsut die after a single combat when it took 2 hours to make it.

in ye olden days of yore... EVERYONE made TONS of "dream characters", but the idea you would play them was unheard of because just how far they could break a world or the system itself by poking at the extremities using ALL the options. the broken combos of multiclass characters i had with AD&D that would laugh at Punpun and more usable "builds" of 3.x is mountains full after CoreRules.

yet again this entire topic goes back to my sig. "play the game, not the rules".

rules are there to allow things that the designers though of, not to say to use everything. and ALL groups cut those lists in some fashion so that that 30 becomes only 6 classes for some reason or another, jsut so they can more quickly get to the game.

those options are great to choose from, but you have to have focus in choosing which means narrowing down the lists.

someone wants to cast spells, they have already narrowed down a list for themselves to remove those that dont cast spells, or vice versa.

but you cannot get to finite in your list such that you end up with a character than is no longer able to be played unless 100% of the time every die roll and action goes your way, since random factors exist to thwart your design to make you think about what to do when something doesnt work the way you want it to or hope it would... like getting a magic rapier or katana.

that is the part of the game. not having that random bit throw in you have left playing a game, and it doesnt matter how many choices, you are just writing a story.

writing a story is ONE use of D&D, but not the only, or default use for it. and as D&D stories go...you dont even need the lists or rules in the books to write them, you just do what you want to do because it is your own little pocket dimension within the D&D universe.

picking things for a character that you find fun will always be a process of elimination where you remove things you dont want to see which ones you do, in effect making smaller lists.

so to get back to your post specifically...what to do...like every other part of the D&D game, you play with what is available that you can have the most fun with.

Necromancer is a DM tool or concept, then players dont get it for a class choice.

someone has to set a limit to the lists, and that job falls to the DM that must manage it all. the company will print anything it thinks it can sell.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Red_Rob wrote:
shadzar wrote:everyone else agreed to a desert climate, while the druid player is now wanting grasslands and small forests. so everyone else agreed to play on Athas, while the druid player wants Abier-Athas....
Druids are a playable class in Dark Sun. :lol:
a wiki is a joke for gaming material since anyone can jsut add anything and claim it. give me a page scan of that and a product that i can look it up in.

also being a class in there does not remove what i said, that the druid expects graslands and woodlands in an arabian setting that others expect to be desert as far as the eye can see.

the point is not wanting a druid to begin with, but wanting to define the land that others agreed upon something else.

want something simpler? everyone agrees on continental adventures with cavern exploring. then one player after agreeing to that starts complaining they dont ever do any ship to ship combat out in the ocean.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Underground oceans filled with Kou Toan and Grimlock pirates. Yaarg!
Hieronymous Rex
Journeyman

Post by Hieronymous Rex »

shadzar wrote:give me a page scan of that and a product that i can look it up in.
Dark Sun Campaign Setting, pages. 31-32. Druids on Athas attach themselves to a particular terrain feature (e.g. a particular oasis) and derive elemental magic based on what they are tied to.

This is part of the conceptual shift from "druids are clerics modeled after the historical group" to "druids are nature based spellcasters not tied to a god" that occurred through the editions, with 2e being the transitional period towards 3e's "druids are not clerics".
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Koumei, PL, just so you know this thread was made in response to the magical item thread (or rather, Basket Weaving and Weapon Specialization), not WoF.

Several people in favor of 'katanas now and katanas forever' have had their arguments boil down pretty much to 'but people WANT that so give it to them' to oppose the 'this makes the game worse from a fluff and gameplay standpoint', as if player choice is such a sacred cow that the joy people get from having exact, discrete choice outweighs problems associated with that.

And I'm saying 'no'. People choose things all of the time (even with perfect knowledge of the choices) claiming it will make them the most happy even when it won't. So implementing a feature just because it's what players want is a really suspicious, even downright faulty way of designing. But people are under the impression that what they want and what makes them happy sync up a lot stronger than it really does and derp out when you say that it's not the case. Hence the point of this thread; it's to show WHY it's not true.

I included the choice paradox because it's an excellent example about how counter-intuitive the whole 'what you want is not what will happy you happy' process is. It's certainly not the only example; we could go on all day about naive optimization or inaction bias, neither of which have anything to do with Magic Item Lottery or WoF. In fact for awhile there the thread was heading in that direction. I really would like to have a thread on the whole Trolley Problem. And I think I'm going to open a thread on it right now.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Koumei, PL, just so you know this thread was made in response to the magical item thread (or rather, Basket Weaving and Weapon Specialization), not WoF.
That thread was ALSO very clearly you fighting the WoF battle over again by proxy.

And losing by proxy.

AGAIN.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Lago just claims a gamne is worse if people can play characters they like. He hasn't shown any proof that a game that excludes players who don't go for the narrow "uses what he can get, no matter the look" archetype wouild be anything less than a disappointment.

"Clownsuit: the scavening" is not really what people think of when they hear "Fantasy roleplaying game". Most think of characters they like to play, taken from books and movies. And not many of those switch weapons and dresses at the drop of a hat.