AD&D Locust Swarm

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

AD&D Locust Swarm

Post by virgil »

While I started on AD&D, I never had the need/use for a swarm of insects in a game, so it's only now that I notice this. Were they really this powerful? On average, they have 2500HP if you take the generous reading that 20 bugs are killed per point of damage. As far I'm aware, this is the most HP of anything in the game, and parties would be dead long before they could scatter the swarm.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

parties would be dead long before they could scatter the swarm.
that was probably deliberate. however a single burning hands spell could save the day
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Wow that is pretty crazy. The average swarm size is 101,000 (1d100*10,000*2 for locusts), which is actually 5,050 HP. (side note, at 20 locusts per cubic foot, that is also 5050 cubic feet of locusts, or a 17-18ft solid cube of locusts (though most likely they'd be less high and more spread out)

It seems like they don't expect you to ever kill the locust swarm, but instead to disperse it with smoke/fire, or jump in water to avoid it. So basically hope you have enough HP to get to the nearest river or to be able to live long enough to start a fire. Or have the Wizard fireball them and make them all run away I guess.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

well they arent a maribunta. you can see them and avoid them, and a lit torch is all it would take to scatter them because of the smoke they would go to avoid it and change directions or just go around it.

they would likely also go around a camp with a fire for the most part.

you would have to be in daytime, and either walk into a swarm and sit still, or stand in the path to really be affected...not at all a very effective "monster".

more aggressive and intelligent bugs like live in colonies would be a much biger threat.

HP and numbers dont always present a threat.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I'm not sure how to handle area of effect spells. Would a fireball just do single damage to the swarm or would it do damage for every square/hex that the fireball covers? That could easily mean all the difference (there would also be the dispersal effect as well but that's a side issue).
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Shouldn't a fireball, you know, hit (almost?) everything in the area? Like, 95%+?
K
King

Post by K »

tzor wrote:I'm not sure how to handle area of effect spells. Would a fireball just do single damage to the swarm or would it do damage for every square/hex that the fireball covers? That could easily mean all the difference (there would also be the dispersal effect as well but that's a side issue).
AoEs used to hit everything in the swarm, so a single spell would clear them. This made them puzzle monsters because a single AoE damaging spell would clear them.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

this is a good example of older editions vs. newer editions. I kind of prefer the way they did this
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.