How long does it take to level up in 3e?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

If I wanted random chatter, that is what emails, phone calls, and any number of other things are for. It is for getting together just to make random chatter. When people gather for a specific purpose, and that purpose is to play D&D, I expect the focus to be on the game called D&D. When it's actually about something else entirely, that is called a bait and switch.

Do you also make "trips to the movies" that are more about random blabbering than watching a movie together? If so, fuck you for being a jackass and talking over the movie.
could you be any more autistic?
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Shadow Balls
Master

Post by Shadow Balls »

Hey look, it's the 4chan troll. Cat got your shift key?
PoliteNewb wrote:D&D is a fucking game. Sometimes you lose games. D&D is better than most, in that losing is a.) not necessarily going to happen and b.) not permanent. But the possibility of loss is there. It should be there. In the opinion of many (myself included), it's part of what makes the game fun.

If your attitude is "I spent my valuable time to come here, so I better be able to play every minute, regardless of what I do or what my dice rolls are"...fuck that, and fuck you.
Maxus wrote:Shadzar is comedy gold, and makes us optimistic for the future of RPGs. Because, see, going into the future takes us further away from AD&D Second Edition and people like Shadzar.
FatR wrote:If you cannot accept than in any game a noob inherently has less worth than an experienced player, go to your special olympics.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well that outright admission of autism does shoot down the theory that Shadeballs is the return of Roy pretty nicely.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Tumbling Down
Journeyman

Post by Tumbling Down »

But seriously Spaz Balls, all your flailing aside this
Shadow Balls wrote:Do you also make "trips to the movies" that are more about random blabbering than watching a movie together? If so, fuck you for being a jackass and talking over the movie
is what non aspies call "having a life".

So unless you can prove (in less than a full minute) that you're not autistic, I suggest that you go hold your breath for like 10 to 15 minutes, while you think about how fucking stupid you are.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

welcome aboard, tumbling down. I sense that you are a strong poster than our last member with the initials TD
Well that outright admission of autism does shoot down the theory that Shadeballs is the return of Roy pretty nicely.
shadowfail also doesn't use memespam. there's a chance that roy has grown and matured.
Hey look, it's the 4chan troll. Cat got your shift key?
first off, I don't post on 4chan. second of all, when I did post on 4chan, I never used psychic robot as my trip. third of all, I intermittently use proper formatting, but you're not worth the effort.
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Tumbling Down
Journeyman

Post by Tumbling Down »

Also, I'm sure Roy would have used Faelik instead of Likadik.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Tumbling Down wrote:So unless you can prove (in less than a full minute) that you're not autistic, I suggest that you go hold your breath for like 10 to 15 minutes, while you think about how fucking stupid you are.
Hey! Don't imply bad things about autistic people! :mad:
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Tumbling Down wrote:Also, I'm sure Roy would have used Faelik instead of Likadik.
Thank you Roy. I'm glad you felt the need to reregister to insult a Roy impersonator.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

Kaelik wrote:
Tumbling Down wrote:Also, I'm sure Roy would have used Faelik instead of Likadik.
Thank you Roy. I'm glad you felt the need to reregister to insult a Roy impersonator.
Whether or not Tumbling is Roy is irrelevant, but he's right. Roy's pattern largely centered around spamming the word ''fail'' at every opportunity.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:
Tumbling Down wrote:So unless you can prove (in less than a full minute) that you're not autistic, I suggest that you go hold your breath for like 10 to 15 minutes, while you think about how fucking stupid you are.
Hey! Don't imply bad things about autistic people! :mad:
Agreed.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Hey! Don't imply bad things about autistic people!
agreed, they might miss the subtle cues in conversation letting them know that they're retarded
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ant wrote:
Shadow Balls
Master

Post by Shadow Balls »

Tumbling Down wrote:But seriously Spaz Balls, all your flailing aside this
Shadow Balls wrote:Do you also make "trips to the movies" that are more about random blabbering than watching a movie together? If so, fuck you for being a jackass and talking over the movie
is what non aspies call "having a life".

So unless you can prove (in less than a full minute) that you're not autistic, I suggest that you go hold your breath for like 10 to 15 minutes, while you think about how fucking stupid you are.
Hey look, it's some idiot who went and made a new alt, just to get in on the derp that is "Oh, you're autistic/act like someone I don't like, your argument is invalid!"

And that instantly makes you the most pathetic person in the thread, as at least the other people hiding behind their keyboards to make retarded, borderline sociopathic remarks are doing so behind their own usernames.

You see, since for all of the dumbass remarks about autism, it is in fact they and you who are socially inept I will explain this to you very very slowly.

When someone says that they will do a thing, you expect for them to do that thing. If they do not do that thing, you expect them to have good reason to not do that thing. If neither condition is met, you will be annoyed with them, because they lied to you.

Now perhaps you have total jerkasses for friends that call you together to do something and then you get there and they want to do something else entirely, something that you'd have been ok with had they mentioned it, but since they said you were getting together for something else you came to do that something else with them.

All of the random insults and sarcasm aside, I really do mean and believe that. It's obvious from the way many of you act you have total jerkasses, if not alright sociopaths for friends. If you didn't mirror their behavior, I'd feel sorry for you. As it is though, it is still disappointing to see such things as basic honesty viewed in such a negative light. I do have to wonder how many of the people that have specifically shown these behaviors and it isn't all of you even have gaming groups.
PoliteNewb wrote:D&D is a fucking game. Sometimes you lose games. D&D is better than most, in that losing is a.) not necessarily going to happen and b.) not permanent. But the possibility of loss is there. It should be there. In the opinion of many (myself included), it's part of what makes the game fun.

If your attitude is "I spent my valuable time to come here, so I better be able to play every minute, regardless of what I do or what my dice rolls are"...fuck that, and fuck you.
Maxus wrote:Shadzar is comedy gold, and makes us optimistic for the future of RPGs. Because, see, going into the future takes us further away from AD&D Second Edition and people like Shadzar.
FatR wrote:If you cannot accept than in any game a noob inherently has less worth than an experienced player, go to your special olympics.
BearsAreBrown
Master

Post by BearsAreBrown »

Thanks for proving your autism by strawmanning rigid(and incorrect) social guidelines. And going on to say anyone who socializes differently then you is sociopathic.

You sure aren't autistic.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

When someone says that they will do a thing, you expect for them to do that thing. If they do not do that thing, you expect them to have good reason to not do that thing. If neither condition is met, you will be annoyed with them, because they lied to you.

Now perhaps you have total jerkasses for friends that call you together to do something and then you get there and they want to do something else entirely, something that you'd have been ok with had they mentioned it, but since they said you were getting together for something else you came to do that something else with them.
well this isn't hitting 100 on the spergometer or anything at all.
Ant wrote:
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

I know when I sit down to play some Risk all of my friends start beating the shit out of the first guy to talk about anything but the game.

Asshole, if I wanted to talk to you I'd do something social, not agree to play a game.
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Balls
Master

Post by Shadow Balls »

BearsAreBrown wrote:Thanks for proving your autism by strawmanning rigid(and incorrect) social guidelines. And going on to say anyone who socializes differently then you is sociopathic.

You sure aren't autistic.
"Hey, want to come over and hang out?"
"Sure."
And you come over, and you hang out, and all is good.

"Hey, want to come over and play D&D?"
"Sure."
And you come over, and you play D&D, and all is good.

"Sure."
And you come over, and you find they actually want to do something else entirely, and that is not acceptable.

And the more you try to justify dicking over your friends in these hypothetical examples, the more you make yourself look like sociopaths as you are clearly only concerned about your own desires and interests with no ability to emphasize with others. So when someone actually expects meeting up to do x to involve both meeting up and doing x, they must be mentally deficient! It couldn't possibly be their fault that something is wrong! They couldn't possibly take responsibility for their own actions! Go on, check the entitlement thread, and then cross reference to this one. Look at the overlap in names. If you don't see the pattern then perhaps you are the autist.

But really, none of this has anything to do with autism, and everything to do with the fact that as a real elitist, I've gotten all you faux elitist's panties into knots. So instead of grabbing your (nonexistent) sack and manning up, you're just jumping on the bandwagon like the mindless lemmings you are. And autism is just the 2011 version of gay. Which means you don't like me, and nothing more. Explain in 140 characters or less why I should care about some rand.

Oh and... Please drive that wagon into a fire. I would greatly appreciate that.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:I know when I sit down to play some Risk all of my friends start beating the shit out of the first guy to talk about anything but the game.

Asshole, if I wanted to talk to you I'd do something social, not agree to play a game.
It's not pseudo, is it?
Last edited by Shadow Balls on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BearsAreBrown
Master

Post by BearsAreBrown »

At first autistic was being used an an insult but now I legitimately think you're autistic because of your inability to parse social situations like a normal person. I can't say I like you, but I don't dislike you. I haven't even disagreed with you. But I do think you should see a therapist.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

Shadow you have a very real problem if you think somebody cracking a joke at the table is them being an asshole. Especially when you're leveling up and thus not even playing the damn game.

You come off as somebody who says, "STOP TALKING TO ME, I'M DOING MATH YOU PIECE OF SHIT!" if anyone so much as mentions the holy hand grenade as a possible equipment option during level-up/shopping time.

Is it a worn joke? Of course it is, but they're your friends so you don't call them douchebags, you joke with them because they are your friends so you enjoy their company before stomping some imaginary orcs into the ground. If you don't like talking to your friends why the fuck are they your friends?
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Autism is a real disorder. Aspergers is a high functioning version of the autism spectrum. Aspergers is also the most over/mis-diagnosed disorder within the autism spectrum. I have spent enough time volounteering with community groups to recognise the difference between an authentic Aspergers case and an overersensitive hipster 'aspie'.

SB may easily be labeled an an aspie by a psychiatrist. But just like my 'apsie' cousin that uses his diagnosis as a justification for criminal behaviour, SB is probably just your run-of-the-mill arsehole. Giving him a sympathetic label will not make him less of an arsehole, nor will it give any insight into his arsehole behaviour.

On another note, just had a level up at a game I am DMing. 1 guy done in less than 5 minutes, playing a Psionic Monk. The Druid player took about half an hour to choose between Warshaper and more Druid levels. The Assassin player took about the same amount of time on level up, mainly flipping through splatbooks for spells. The Wizard player is going to get back to me next week.
BearsAreBrown
Master

Post by BearsAreBrown »

I don't know how relevant this is, but is my group the only one that never leveled up mid-session? When we were done for the night we were told to level up our characters for next time. Some of us would stay and level up together, people who had lives would go home and do it on their own time.

Granted, we played very high level games and level up were rare and took at least 20 minutes.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

BearsAreBrown wrote:I don't know how relevant this is, but is my group the only one that never leveled up mid-session? When we were done for the night we were told to level up our characters for next time. Some of us would stay and level up together, people who had lives would go home and do it on their own time.

Granted, we played very high level games and level up were rare and took at least 20 minutes.
No, we do this too. Level ups are done on your own time, not game night. There might be some minor review of math/choices/whatever by the MC before the next session, but that's about it.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

We always level up between sessions as well, and if people haven't updated everything yet, they are just a bit behind for the session. E.g. if they haven't spend their skillpoints they can just do that the next time. Though we usually get together and have dinner first, and discuss all kinds of things at the dinner table before playing.
Tumbling Down
Journeyman

Post by Tumbling Down »

Shadow Balls wrote:Hey look, it's some idiot who went and made a new alt, just to get in on the derp that is "Oh, you're autistic/act like someone I don't like, your argument is invalid!"

And that instantly makes you the most pathetic person in the thread, as at least the other people hiding behind their keyboards to make retarded, borderline sociopathic remarks are doing so behind their own usernames.

You see, since for all of the dumbass remarks about autism, it is in fact they and you who are socially inept I will explain this to you very very slowly.

All of the random insults and sarcasm aside, I really do mean and believe that. It's obvious from the way many of you act you have total jerkasses, if not alright sociopaths for friends. If you didn't mirror their behavior, I'd feel sorry for you. As it is though, it is still disappointing to see such things as basic honesty viewed in such a negative light. I do have to wonder how many of the people that have specifically shown these behaviors and it isn't all of you even have gaming groups.
Shadow Balls
Master

Post by Shadow Balls »

BearsAreBrown wrote:At first autistic was being used an an insult but now I legitimately think you're autistic because of your inability to parse social situations like a normal person. I can't say I like you, but I don't dislike you. I haven't even disagreed with you. But I do think you should see a therapist.
Inability to parse social situations? I am not the one continually responding to twisted versions of what I am actually saying. I am not the one that is taking "so many interruptions that a 2 minute task takes 2 hours" to mean no off topic at all ever and then going on to present a situation that doesn't interrupt you for even one second, as laughing and writing are done with different parts of the body, claiming that I would react poorly to that situation, and then going straight from there into insanity land. In case that was too subtle I just said that Pseudo's Stupidity was not false.

I get it. This is just the faux elitists getting all butthurt that they've been shown how it's really done, and so they are spamming the word gay autist to make themselves feel better about themselves, and to avoid taking responsibility for their own actions. Such as not being a dick to their friends, by changing the entire plan at the last minute such that it takes 2 hours to complete a 2 minute task.

And no, you fucking retards there is a serious difference between the heavy volume of off topic discussions to the point of THAT being the reason you gathered that the other side was assuming before and your little bullshit strawman of no off topic at all ever.

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Shadow Balls wrote: "Hey, want to come over and hang out?"
"Sure."
And you come over, and you hang out, and all is good.

"Sure."
And you come over, and you play D&D, and all is good.

"Sure."
And you come over, and you find they actually want to do something else entirely, and that is not acceptable.

And the more you try to justify dicking over your friends in these hypothetical examples, the more you make yourself look like sociopaths as you are clearly only concerned about your own desires and interests with no ability to emphasize with others.
Or, it turns out this particular group means "play D&D and hang out" when they say "play D&D", because various groups do that shit all the time.

In your three literal examples, you're right in the same sense that you're pedantic. So, for all of us who say "play D&D" and know what the rest of the group means, we're not too worried about your accusations about sociopathy.

And on the off chance that you're worried you'll join a new group and get ambushed by their in-group lingo, like "play D&D", you can always just ask them what that actually means and how they game.