What people want and what makes them happy rarely coincide.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Maj wrote: The idea that a wishlist for your character is a bad thing is incomprehensible to me. Every player should have an idea of some way they want their character to improve... They want to take a feat, they want this special ability, they want a level in X class. You can take items away, but players will still be asking their DMs to make things possible for them because they want their character to improve and change.

But I think I'm understanding that - for whatever bizarre reason - the posters in this thread have taken to using the term "wishlist" to mean "expectation list." And if you accept that arbitrarily extreme definition, eliminating them is a great idea. After all, who the hell wants to play a game with Veruca Salt [not the band]?
The wishlist means exactly the same thing it does in actual reality: a list of things you wish to get. Taking a Spanish class because you want to learn Spanish is not a "wishlist". Going out and buying a vacuum cleaner because you need a vacuum cleaner is not a wishlist. Giving a list of things to other people that you want for Christmas is a fucking wishlist.

Moved over to D&Dland, spending character resources on crafting or even purchasing a venom dagger is not a wishlist. Using in character skills to locate or steal a venom dagger is not a wishlist either. Asking the MC player to player for a venom dagger to show up is a wishlist.

Do you understand why I regard wishlists as anathema? They are at base an attempt to violate the parameters of the cooperative storytelling venture in order to acquire things that other players use actual in character abilities and actions to get. They are neither fun nor fair.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

virgil wrote:Can anyone on this forum?
some of us have.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I had a post here, but after giving it further thought, I deleted it. Instead, I'm putting you on ignore for a little while, Frank.
Last edited by Maj on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Let's remember importantly that Frank is advocating super rare super specshul randomized snowlfake item mechanics and look at his rather second rate list...
FrankTrollman wrote:[*] Wishlists damage the realness of the setting
Actually... totally randomizing your items is, oddly, a significantly greater threat to "realness". Because ANY form of arbitrary item selection at least lets your CONSIDER the realness factor, while random is... well yeah, RANDOM.
[*] Wishlists damage the joy of storytelling
No one gives a fuck about the story of the time you got your paycheck on time.
This is entirely agnostic towards allowed item related archetypes and random vs selective loot drops. It is solely about loot drop FREQUENCY. Unfortunately "level appropriate" loot drops are kinda vital to game balance so EVERYONE needs to just eat a dick on this one. I mean unless you can eliminate level appropriate loot in general, but the "super powerful ultra rare speschul snowflake" strategy only WORSENS the game play impacts of item power levels and actually REQUIRES frequent "pay checks" as much if not more than ANY system.

Mind you. While regular paychecks may not be story worthy they ARE a proven successful and addictive element of RPG game play. And while some aspects of the item treadmill might be worth removing all in all it is actually a pretty radical proposition as the regular pay check as it currently stands fairly clearly brings MORE player engagement than it damages.
[*] Wishlists destroy the value of item creation/upgrading abilities
If not having that ability would allow you to get the same item through wishlists as having that ability would, then the ability is worthless.
Some abilities SHOULD be worthless. It's the only way to balance them without destroying game balance. Crafting is HIGH on that list. And kicking the basic concept of the level appropriate character in the nuts repeatedly in order to make space for literal basket weaving characters is a stupid idea. But there isn't ANYTHING stupid Frank won't say as a smoke screen for his stupid speschul snowflake item scheme.
[*] Wishlists damage the relationship between the player and the MC
...It's not that it merely has the potential to cause bad blood, it's that it is almost guaranteed to do so because it literally requires the MC to give uneven gifts in a blatantly unfair fashion to the different players at the table.
He runs almost word for word with the "if you try to give players what they ask for if you then instead screw them through incompetence, which you will, they will be annoyed!" line that swordslinger tried? The one we thought was a pile of laughs? Yep. He actually tries it on. With a straight face no less.

But here is a thing. Try that entire point entry with Randomized Items in place of wish lists. Yeah. That's right, it's a basically item selection method agnostic criticism. If players get screwed by the items made available to them they get pissed off. regardless of loot selection mechanics. Arbitrary choice based loot selection mechanics give a tool to combat and control this. Randomized ones DO NOT.
[*] Wishlists damage the relationship between the player and their treasure
When you find a dollar, that makes you feel good. When someone holds your dollar over your head and makes you jump for it a few times before they let you have it, that's humiliating and infuriating. .
And again... a criticism that is actually entirely agnostic towards randomization or selection of items. What hoops you have to jump through to cause a loot drop are irrelevant to that issue. AND the claim that "wish lists" lead to damaging expectations is bat shit insane because both wish lists AND randomized loot drops have expectations of level appropriate loot drops AND those are not bad expectations since level appropriate loot drops are vital for game play balance.
Against all of that, the only argument for wishlists is that players will take the game hostage by not taking character abilities that allow them to get specific stuff and then throwing a temper tantrum if their character doesn't miraculously find specific stuff anyway. That's seriously it.
Why does that claim seem more like a rather unserious straw man then? I mean REALLY now?

But the important thing here is that Frank is STILL talking about Wish Lists. And that is NOT a valid way to demonstrate the actual topic of this thread or the proposition of instituting "speshcul rare snowflake randomized item drops" like he and Lago are promoting.

Oddly enough when you propose a mechanic or whatever the burden of evidence is on you to show that it is good. So strawmen, or worse strawmen of a SINGLE SPECIFIC COUNTER OPTION are not actually enough. You have to actually show that your proposition is BETTER, or at least FUNCTIONAL. But instead we get wish list distraction smoke bombs everywhere. Because Frank and Lago cannot justify the speshcul snowflake item randomizer.

And if they DID talk about it they MIGHT have to explain how all it's massive disadvantages, like you know destroying the very concept of level appropriate characters are somehow "good for us".

But instead Frank is going to claim that talking about Wishlist strawmen is a totally valid way to prove the speshul snowflake mechanic as long as anyone ever attempts to reply to his strawmanning of their position.

So maybe we should just stop doing that and talk about how crap the speshcul snowflake random item generator methodology is instead.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

So we're now up to four increasingly respectable Denners being put on ignore for calling Frank on his various and sundry logical fallacies. Is that a high score?

One other thing:
So, in other words, you are aware of this, you just don't consider it a problem because you don't consider it to be an idiom worth supporting.
I've already explained how you can maintain the idiom of the crafter without breaking the idiom of the sword guy. It's, like, three pages back. Seriously.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Five pages ago, I do remember asking Frank to either argue about signature weapons or random loot, and him refusing to separate the arguments.

It's possible for them both to be terrible ideas you don't want in your game, so shitting on signature weapons (or wishlists or what the fuck ever) doesn't make random loot suddenly good.
Last edited by A Man In Black on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Swordslinger
Knight-Baron

Post by Swordslinger »

Maj wrote: But I think I'm understanding that - for whatever bizarre reason - the posters in this thread have taken to using the term "wishlist" to mean "expectation list." And if you accept that arbitrarily extreme definition, eliminating them is a great idea. After all, who the hell wants to play a game with Veruca Salt [not the band]?
If the DM gives Bob the sword of sharpness he wanted, now Jim and Jake both expect that the DM will give them something too, otherwise it looks like favoritism. So yes, it does inevitably turn into an expectation list, because they will be resentful if the DM specifically ignored their request, yet gave Bob what he wanted.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Swordslinger wrote:If the DM gives Bob the sword of sharpness he wanted, now Jim and Jake both expect that the DM will give them something too, otherwise it looks like favoritism. So yes, it does inevitably turn into an expectation list, because they will be resentful if the DM specifically ignored their request, yet gave Bob what he wanted.
That resentment doesn't suddenly go away in an entirely random game.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Chamomile wrote:So we're now up to four increasingly respectable Denners being put on ignore for calling Frank on his various and sundry logical fallacies. Is that a high score?

One other thing:
So, in other words, you are aware of this, you just don't consider it a problem because you don't consider it to be an idiom worth supporting.
I've already explained how you can maintain the idiom of the crafter without breaking the idiom of the sword guy. It's, like, three pages back. Seriously.
Quite possibly a high score indeed. I have been yelled at by Frank for simple demands like "Explain why this is bad", "Don't change the parameters of my argument", and such. I've seen him threaten Kaelik with it, PL in more places than this even though both are bringing up completely valid arguments against his position.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Prak_Anima wrote:
virgil wrote:Can anyone on this forum?
some of us have.
I completely can. I came to this forum as wrong. I have since admitted to it and hell I've told some of the newer people that came here wrong about it.
Swordslinger
Knight-Baron

Post by Swordslinger »

A Man In Black wrote: That resentment doesn't suddenly go away in an entirely random game.
Actually it does. Random games don't show favoritism and more specifically, items aren't placed for certain characters. Whoever gets the +2 mace of impact the party found is up to the party itself to distribute, not the DM.

That's an important distinction.

In a wishlist system, when Bob's item drops, it's already Bob's, even if someone else in the group wants it. The DM is directly bypassing party treasure distribution to directly hand out a specific item to someone. Now when that person happens to be his best friend or girlfriend, you can bet there's going to be favoritism suspected by someone.

In random treasure, everyone has a shot to get something good for them, because treasure distribution is random. The next treasure drop may be awesome for you, you really don't know. That possibility of random drops has kept people playing computer RPGs for a very long time. And if you get bad items, you can accept that you were simply unlucky in the random roll, as opposed to the DM actively deciding to screw you.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Swordslinger wrote:Actually it does. Random games don't show favoritism and more specifically, items aren't placed for certain characters. Whoever gets the +2 mace of impact the party found is up to the party itself to distribute, not the DM.
This is just going to lead to the exact same resentment, just aimed intra-party instead of at the GM. Anyone who played AD&D and actually used the loot tables, anyone who has run a pre-published D&D adventure without fiddling with the loot, anyone who has played EQ/WOW or any similar game... they should all know how this breaks down.
Last edited by A Man In Black on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

A Man In Black wrote:
Swordslinger wrote:Actually it does. Random games don't show favoritism and more specifically, items aren't placed for certain characters. Whoever gets the +2 mace of impact the party found is up to the party itself to distribute, not the DM.
This is just going to lead to the exact same resentment, just aimed intra-party instead of at the GM.
Indeed; I made a similar point thirty pages ago. :)
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

hogarth wrote:Indeed; I made a similar point thirty pages ago. :)
And I made it ten pages ago. What do we have to do to get this shit thread locked?
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

A Man In Black wrote:Five pages ago, I do remember asking Frank to either argue about signature weapons or random loot, and him refusing to separate the arguments.
I think that this is, at least in part, because other people frequently use signature weapons as a counter-argument against random loot.

So:
Random loot is good because:
  • It is a method of increasing the variance in loot, which increases the variance of gameplay, which increases how long you can play the game before it loses its value.
  • It makes the distribution of items more even-handed (note: even-handed is not quite the same as fair in all cases).
  • It can add fun anticipation, exactly like that from opening a booster pack for a CCG.

Signature weapons are bad because:
  • They promote shallow character concepts (e.g. "fights with a sword in ways that are physically possible in the real world, and does little else").
  • They can conflict with variation in loot (note that this conflict is not always total, and using deeper character concepts may alleviate it further).

EDIT: Note that the goodness of random treasure is, IMO, the more significant factor in this argument; someone else playing a sufficiently unobtrusive signature-weapon character doesn't adversely affect me very much, while random treasure benefits me (the player) (relatively) significantly.
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

FrankTrollman wrote:Moved over to D&Dland, spending character resources on crafting or even purchasing a venom dagger is not a wishlist. Using in character skills to locate or steal a venom dagger is not a wishlist either. Asking the MC player to player for a venom dagger to show up is a wishlist.
Wait, what? Crafting is acceptable now?

The last time I checked in on this pit of failure thread, the claim was that being able to buy, trade, or craft items was just a plot by loathsome katana fetishists to circumvent the awesomeness of random loot drop.
Actually, for that matter, wanting to go on quests for a venom dagger was also considered unacceptable, because it would apparently take over the entire campaign and deny the other players the ability to do anything.

But if those things are ok now, that's cool. I was using them anyway, but it's good to know I'm not an abomination to gaming by doing so.
Last edited by Ice9 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:I think that this is, at least in part, because other people frequently use signature weapons as a counter-argument against random loot.
But they're hardly the only counter-argument, or even the best counter-argument. Here, from a dozen pages ago:
Frank's and Lago's random drop argument isn't convincing me. I don't think the RNG high is worth including in D&D. I think that players are going to take out their frustrating with RNG droughts on the GM, and that's unnecessary friction. I also think that the RNG buzz isn't an effective tool for keeping people interested in a game over the long term without a whole Christmas tree full of crap and that is a bookkeeping nightmare. I also think that making any sort of significant sacrifices to try any capitalize on the RNG buzz in tabletop RPGs is pointless now, because anyone can buy a copy of of Torchlight for about $10.

But most importantly, most GMs are just going to fucking cheat and give the players what they think the players want anyway. Even if Lago is right about how the droughts counterintuitively make the plums that much sweeter (and I actually agree with this), the players won't get that (see: every MMO forum in the history of MMOs) and the GMs won't get that so they're just going to de facto houserule the system so that there aren't any droughts, just like everyone used to do in AD&D.
Shaking the slot machine for items is a bad idea because it's ivory tower game design that few GMs will actually implement, because it'll cause unnecessary friction between players, because you need a ton of different slots to get enough drops to make this matter, and because video games do this about a million times better. I think this LAGOe item drops are shit because inside a year, everyone's actual game will end up looking like AD&D's muddle. Even if signature weapons are also a terrible idea, this is still a shit idea.
If LAGOe slot machine drops are so all-fired awesome, then refute that. I'm not exactly Captain Super Genius Insight Into Game Design, so it shouldn't be hard. I do know that complaining about how much signature weapons suck doesn't refute it, though.
Last edited by A Man In Black on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

RadiantPhoenix wrote: So:
Random loot is good because:
[*] It is a method of increasing the variance in loot
That isn't how math works. Arbitrary or random selection are not the actually the deciding factors in the "variance" offered by your item system. You CAN easily have a Random system less varied than an arbitrary one or visa versa. In the mean time with an arbitrary system you can actually decisively act to increase variance should you observe a need to do so. In a random system you can only cross your fingers and hope the dice will do it for you and they might not.
[*] It makes the distribution of items more even-handed (note: even-handed is not quite the same as fair in all cases).
Not only is that not how math works that is also not how a statement that makes sense works. If "even handedness" suddenly isn't "fairness" we probably need to know what the fuck you think you are even saying here.
[*] It can add fun anticipation, exactly like that from opening a booster pack for a CCG.
"Fun anticipation" and the thrill of gambling are not the same thing. And CCG booster packs are not universally popular even in CCGs and are widely regarded by tabletop RPG gamers to be horrendously bad specifically for table top RPGs. I refer you to THIS FORUM and it's general attitude towards the ACTUAL use of ACTUAL CCG booster packs both imagined and the like ONE time any RPG publisher was dumb enough to do that.

Considering the literal implementation of your analogy there is so unpopular in RPGs... one wonders why you picked that an analogy that basically amounts to an attack on your own position.
Signature weapons are bad because:[*] They promote shallow character concepts (e.g. "fights with a sword in ways that are physically possible in the real world, and does little else").
Wait? What's wrong with that? No really, that sounds fine. In fact, it sounds pretty cool. Why can't we do that again? I mean we don't HAVE to and the entire statement is a raging falsehood, but why can't we have kick ass super swordsmen? Do you really seriously have a problem with that now?.
[*] They can conflict with variation in loot (note that this conflict is not always total, and using deeper character concepts may alleviate it further).
Nice backpedal into irrelevancy, but actually not far enough. There actually isn't a conflict at all. The need to INCLUDE certain results into your set of loot results in no way impacts the potential size or variability of the set in total. Because again. That's not how math works.
EDIT: Note that the goodness of random treasure is, IMO, the more significant factor in this argument
I agree. The whole "Lets fuck over the basic concept of being a level appropriate character" that Lago and Frank pushed at the beginning of all this with their demand to get super awesome powered items in a deliberately asymmetrical manner IS the most significant part of their proposal. But more because it is the most batshit insane bit.
someone else playing a sufficiently unobtrusive signature-weapon character doesn't adversely affect me very much, while random treasure benefits me (the player) (relatively) significantly.
But it doesn't benefit YOU it benefits like ONE GUY at RANDOM who then is MASSIVELY MORE POWERFUL than is normally level appropriate FOR A LONG TIME. All in order to make items into "speshul snowflakes". The odds of it benefiting YOU are fairly slim, all in all its a pretty poor gamble to make with your gaming time.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Swordslinger
Knight-Baron

Post by Swordslinger »

PhoneLobster wrote: But it doesn't benefit YOU it benefits like ONE GUY at RANDOM who then is MASSIVELY MORE POWERFUL than is normally level appropriate FOR A LONG TIME. All in order to make items into "speshul snowflakes". The odds of it benefiting YOU are fairly slim, all in all its a pretty poor gamble to make with your gaming time.
You'd think that, but that's generally not the way it works in terms of people's happiness. In fact, people rebel against 4E for the primary reason that it is boring and on rails. You never really get a chance to break out of the 4E power curve. You are perpetually on a treadmill, and you can see the treadmill. Once you're eternally locked in the level-appropriate treadmill, people tend to get bored, because magic items aren't something you look forward to, they're just like a natural slow progression you get to avoid falling behind.

The idea that you can get an item and pull ahead power wise for a few levels is not really a bad one, and it makes people excited. That's actually one of the few big advantages of having magic items that constantly need upgrading.
Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

Nitpicks:

@Chamomille

"....four increasingly respectable Denners..."

The trusty bullshit translator should have that ready....now:

"Me and those who agree with me are awesome".

Heh. Nice bit of self-righteousness there.

Please continue. It amuses me to watch the train collision between "Random loot gets in the way of my totally interesting (/sarcasm) Sword Guy RP" and "Not random loot gets in the way of good RP".

Besides that, gonna go for my opinion again: I don't share either the random loot boner that Frank and Lago have or the "but I want them to drop swords instead of axes" whining from Fuchs and Chamomille.

My solution: The Monster Manual says that X monster drops A,B and C items. Don't like it? Then STFU.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Chamomile wrote:So we're now up to four increasingly respectable Denners...
If you think you and Fuchs are increasingly respectable Denners... you are a fucking joke.

I'm the most arrogant mother fucker in the world, and even I don't pretend I'm a respectable or increasingly respectable Denner.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Swordslinger wrote:You'd think that, but that's generally not the way it works in... ...4E...
So what about every other level based RPG ever and their successful implementation of the basic concept of character advancement.

You are literally pointing at 4E and saying "look, there PROOF once and for all, character advancement is unpossible and badwrong!" and that is arguable one of the most insane and retarded arguments ever.

We have decades of evidence to indicate that character advancement and regular loot WORKS. Just because 4E was individually crap largely for entirely unrelated reasons like how boring and crappy it was IN GENERAL doesn't actually mean anything much about anything else.

And you are tremendously stupid to think it does. As game designers it would be NICE to think we can learn from failures as well as successes, but seriously 4E failed in so many ways on so many levels that the failure is indistinguishable and non-demonstrative in nature. You can no longer point at anything much in 4E and say "we have learned from this" because it is a tainted example. EVERYTHING is crap in 4E should we give up Classes? Levels? When you are STARTING with "character advancement" what will be next for you to sacrifice on the altar of "well it was crap in 4E...".
The idea that you can get an item and pull ahead power wise for a few levels is not really a bad one, and it makes people excited. That's actually one of the few big advantages of having magic items that constantly need upgrading.
That statement doesn't even make self contained sense. What you are actually talking about is "magic items that DON'T need constant upgrading", and even then that is NOT actually a description that is equivalent to "magic items that are deliberately level inappropriate".

Even if we shake out the tangled mess of what I can only assume was a typo combined with a massive lack of understanding of what you are even talking about no people AREN'T excited, we are sitting here right now with a forum of experts saying "er... breaking level appropriate character power is a fucking stupid thing to do". The very real impact this will have on game play is insanely bad. This is Lago's Monk story writ big for ANY and EVERY character that literally fails to luck out in a lottery intentionally stacked against them. EVERYONE will actually spend the MAJORITY of MONTHS of game play in a state of level inappropriate inferiority to SOMEONE at the table. If it even works out at all NOT EVERYONE will get a turn "on top" and the turns on top will NOT be uniform in value or length, and will STILL be definitely the significant minority of the players personal gaming time. Those turns on top will NOT actually be "turns" they will not come in order and some players will get multiple turns in a row while others miss out.

The kind of people who will "get excited" about joining THAT particular lottery are very stupid people.

Meanwhile the addictive nature of frequent small rewards IS proven and DOES in fact potentially work within the kinda important constraints of level appropriate character power.

And even MORE interestingly even if you WERE going to do bullshit special snowflake time if you REMOVED the random element and just ARBITRARILY GAVE OUT your stupid level inappropriate snowflakes you just significantly reduced a large number of the issues with players having to tolerate VAST amounts of gaming time saddled with non-viable crippled characters. I mean they STILL spend more time screwed than they do benefiting, by a huge margin, but the fairness, adaptability to circumstance and prevention of random "double punishment duty" or "double rewards" is a pretty significantly measurable improvement.

This is what is so amazing. The entire concept of giant rare random magic item drops is so fundamentally bad on every level. Every bit of it you take away makes the game better. Every single actual mechanical impact of the proposal is bad every time you actually sit down and look at it.

Your "But people will LOVE winning the lottery!" angle is just moronic. It's demonstrably false and irrelevant at the same time and has been undermined by multiple posts over this massive thread. You said nothing other than "but actually it's really secretly awesome and 4E is bad!". You don't even deserve the amount of attention I am paying you.

But since taking you apart on this is easy and discredits the people you are TRYING to agree with I'm all for it.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Kaelik wrote:
Chamomile wrote:So we're now up to four increasingly respectable Denners...
If you think you and Fuchs are increasingly respectable Denners... you are a fucking joke.

I'm the most arrogant mother fucker in the world, and even I don't pretend I'm a respectable or increasingly respectable Denner.
Kaelik, I have what comes close to personal dislike for you but I'd say I give your words more respect than I give most others.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

A Man In Black wrote:
Frank's and Lago's random drop argument isn't convincing me. I don't think the RNG high is worth including in D&D. I think that players are going to take out their frustrating with RNG droughts on the GM, and that's unnecessary friction. I also think that the RNG buzz isn't an effective tool for keeping people interested in a game over the long term without a whole Christmas tree full of crap and that is a bookkeeping nightmare. I also think that making any sort of significant sacrifices to try any capitalize on the RNG buzz in tabletop RPGs is pointless now, because anyone can buy a copy of of Torchlight for about $10.

But most importantly, most GMs are just going to fucking cheat and give the players what they think the players want anyway. Even if Lago is right about how the droughts counterintuitively make the plums that much sweeter (and I actually agree with this), the players won't get that (see: every MMO forum in the history of MMOs) and the GMs won't get that so they're just going to de facto houserule the system so that there aren't any droughts, just like everyone used to do in AD&D.
Shaking the slot machine for items is a bad idea because it's ivory tower game design that few GMs will actually implement, because it'll cause unnecessary friction between players, because you need a ton of different slots to get enough drops to make this matter, and because video games do this about a million times better. I think this LAGOe item drops are shit because inside a year, everyone's actual game will end up looking like AD&D's muddle. Even if signature weapons are also a terrible idea, this is still a shit idea.
If LAGOe slot machine drops are so all-fired awesome, then refute that. Complaining about how much signature weapons suck doesn't refute it.
Okay:

The DM will just cheat
It does not matter if a DM refuses to use random magic items, because no number of DMs refusing to use random treasure actually makes random treasure worse, it just means that there are less games of [insert TTRPG name here] that actually have random treasure.

Video Games do it better
It does not matter if computer games do it better, because that game has no effect on how good of a game any given TTRPG is.

It requires a lot of (random) treasure to even matter.
This is an argument against treasure in general, not just one against random treasure. Yeah, if you only open one booster pack of Magic cards, it's probably going to lose your interest pretty quickly. That's why you open another one next week, tomorrow, or in an few minutes; whatever is the appropriate rate for your group.

It will cause friction between players.
I'm actually not good at understanding group dynamics, so I'm not really the best person to ask about this, but I would think that if the game was designed to work and still be fun (albeit not as much) without the treasure showing up, it wouldn't be too large of a problem. In Arkham Horror, it's possible to go entire games without gaining any items beyond what you started with, and it's still fun when that happens. In my experience, it's only when some item is something you feel you need or that you really, really expected to get that not getting it is particularly upsetting.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:The DM will just cheat
It does not matter if a DM refuses to use random magic items, because no number of DMs refusing to use random treasure actually makes random treasure worse, it just means that there are less games of [insert TTRPG name here] that actually have random treasure.
But it moots any advantages of random treasure unless they are obvious. A system that nobody will actually implement as-written is a system that might as well not exist. AD&D theoretically had random treasure, but few people actually played like that.
Video Games do it better
It does not matter if computer games do it better, because that game has no effect on how good of a game any given TTRPG is.
D&D has to compete with video games, though. If one of its main selling points is "It's like video games, only more fiddly and inconvenient!" then the train is off the rails.

That said? This is probably the weakest of my points.
It requires a lot of (random) treasure to even matter.
This is an argument against treasure in general, not just one against random treasure.
Yeah, it is. Random treasure requires treasure drops, and I don't recall a great defense of them.
It will cause friction between players.
I'm actually not good at understanding group dynamics, so I'm not really the best person to ask about this, but I would think that if the game was designed to work and still be fun (albeit not as much) without the treasure showing up, it wouldn't be too large of a problem. In Arkham Horror, it's possible to go entire games without gaining any items beyond what you started with, and it's still fun when that happens. In my experience, it's only when some item is something you feel you need or that you really, really expected to get that not getting it is particularly upsetting.
It's upsetting when someone gets an item and you think you could use it more effectively. It's upsetting when someone gets two items in a row and you haven't gotten any. (See how those conflict?) It's upsetting when someone gets an item and dominates the game, with everyone knowing that it's going to be a long time before anyone else gets a chance to get an item. It's upsetting when you finally get an item and it's something dumb. It's upsetting when something perfect for the GM's friend drops and you never really know for certain if it was random chance or favoritism and there's really no way to know. It's upsetting when everyone has gotten something neat that's perfect for their characters twice but nothing has dropped for you.

These are all real concerns.