Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

technomancer
Journeyman

Re: Other threads that make us cry...

Post by technomancer »

Heh, thanks. I thought it might be that I was the first person to say "dude, you're wrong, the feat isn't overpowered at all."
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.p ... 0[br]makes me cry. I thought Reincarnate was fairly clear.

Questions like:
"The elf that has been speaking elvish for the last 200 years gets re-incarnated to a gnome, does he lose the ability to speak elvish?"

"A Drow gets re-incarnated into a human, he should retain darkvision"

really, it didn't seem that hard to understand.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.p ... 9[br][br]I might not have answered as thoroughly as the people here would have, but I thought I had good advice. At least, better advice than all the people telling the OP to play an occult slayer.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1182014811[/unixtime]]http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.p ... 9[br][br]I might not have answered as thoroughly as the people here would have, but I thought I had good advice. At least, better advice than all the people telling the OP to play an occult slayer.

Occult Slayer?!?!?! :wtf:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I thought Reincarnate was fairly clear.

It's ultimately explicit, which is not the same thing as being clear and certainly is not the same thing as being sensical. Your feats don't change, your skills don't change, your mental stats don't change, and your racial modifiers and abilities are otherwise swapped out.

So if you change from being a Dwarf to being a Gnome, you don't lose proficiency with the Dwarven Waraxe because that's a feat and it doesn't go away. Similarly, you don't gain proficiency wih the Gnome Hooked Hammer or whatever because that's a feat and it doesn't show up on your doorstep. But you are a Gnome now, so you now have the trait "proficiency with gnome hooked hammer" even though you don't have the actual feat of weapon proficiency in its use.

---

The moral of the story is that going from human to anything else is probably a positive step, as you keep your bonus feat and your extra skill points and get anything at all from your new race.

In fact, you can gain unlimited skill points by gaining levels as a human and losing levels reincarnating into something else - thought bottle for the win. Again.

-Username17
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1181836620[/unixtime]]OK. The Other Threads That Make Us Cry merging with the original I can understand. What is the New Archmage doing here? :wtf:

Huh?

Game On,
fbmf
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

fbmf at [unixtime wrote:1182031653[/unixtime]]
shirak at [unixtime wrote:1181836620[/unixtime]]OK. The Other Threads That Make Us Cry merging with the original I can understand. What is the New Archmage doing here? :wtf:

Huh?

Game On,
fbmf

Page 26, posts #6 to #8 from the top. Their titles are "New Archmage, still worth it?",their dates are from 2003 and their subject has little to do with the rest of the thread (from what I've seen). So I assumed they were part of a thread that got merged by mistake.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Yeah, I don't know what happened there. If it bothers anyone I'll move it. If not, fuck it.

Game On,
fbmf

shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

fbmf at [unixtime wrote:1182072198[/unixtime]]Yeah, I don't know what happened there. If it bothers anyone I'll move it. If not, fvck it.

Game On,
fbmf

I don't mind, I just read it and went "buh?"
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Whatever was the award for stupidest class ever, this guy wins: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=868384.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1182075213[/unixtime]]Whatever was the award for stupidest class ever, this guy wins: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=868384.

:wtf:

Chosen_of_Mana wrote:At first glance, the lightning warrior looks like a weaker version of the wizard, due to the fact that it lacks a familiar and can’t specialize in a school like most wizards can.

So... Wizards are powerful because of their familiar? Either this is the best spoof I have seen or this guy should win a Darwin Award.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I'm with the spoof. How can someone increase the wizard's daily spells by 20% (already counting no access to specialization) and claim the result isn't overpowering (not to touch the other changes, which are always improvements with regards to the wizard)? If you read his arguments closely, you see him literally comparing it to a gestalt ranger/wizard ...
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

It's got to be a spoof. It has d20 for hit dice.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182017204[/unixtime]]
Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1182014811[/unixtime]]http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.p ... 9[br][br]I might not have answered as thoroughly as the people here would have, but I thought I had good advice. At least, better advice than all the people telling the OP to play an occult slayer.

Occult Slayer?!?!?! :wtf:

Perhaps I'm kinda dumb here, but what's wrong with Occult Slayer? The prereqs are tough for a noncaster, but free action spell turning and the bonus to saves is nice. Nothing else worth mentioning from the class except the Mind Blank at level 5.

Yes, of course it's weaker than being a caster, but aside from that, what's wrong with it? Compared to other noncaster options, I mean.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1182136830[/unixtime]]Perhaps I'm kinda dumb here, but what's wrong with Occult Slayer? The prereqs are tough for a noncaster, but free action spell turning and the bonus to saves is nice. Nothing else worth mentioning from the class except the Mind Blank at level 5.

Yes, of course it's weaker than being a caster, but aside from that, what's wrong with it? Compared to other noncaster options, I mean.

Well, if you want to play a character without a hand than of course there is nothing wrong with buying a wheelchair instead of a prosthetic hand, right?

Wrong. If you are going to be a non-caster you will be a Rogue or a Frenzied Berzerker or something. If you play anything else you are holding the party down and going "but my character is interesting!" should get you shot.

Besides, Occult Slayer really isn't. From what I remember it doesn't even do anything apart from annoying people.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Remember guys: Flavor dictates archetype! :rolleyes:
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

DM's should take care lest the Archivist destroy the delicate balance of power.

:lmao:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yes, of course it's weaker than being a caster, but aside from that, what's wrong with it?

In five levels you get 10 abilities which collectively... slightly annoy spellcasters. You're a 10th level character, you shouldn't be "slightly annoying spellcasters", you should kill them.

Getting abilities that do interesting thigs that don't, for example, kill your opponents - is a waste of your time. Those are flavor abilities, and it's all the Occult Slayer ever gets.

-Username17
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1182408024[/unixtime]]This is why I quit the WotC boards.

I'm tempted to know why. Is it because they tend to babble on about half thougt out stuff with no attempt to consider the implications of it in the game?

Generally speaking I've always thought that two weapon fighting was conceptually broken. (as opposed to mechanically broken) The rules come from the early days when it was difficult if not impossible for a non fighter to get more than one attack in a given round. The same rules that made is difficult for a non fighter to get exceptinal strength bonuses in the first place. It's easy to argue moronically over the principles underneath the mechanics. So given the general nature of those boards, it seems like a silly thread.h
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

TWF just doesn't work well period... before they can really fix it, they've basically got to say sneak attack doesn't work with the offhand, so that they can balance it as a fighter style and not a rogue style.

Right now TWF is actually balanced and powerful, as a rogue style. Try to make a fighter who uses it and you're the laughing stock of the party though. If you want two weapon fighters, you've basically got to tone it down for the rogue, otherwise rogues become crazy powerful.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

It's actually the "OH NOES THAT'S BETTER THAN WEAPON FOCUS SO IT'S BROKEN!"
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Artless
Journeyman

Post by Artless »

I was trying to find an appropriate [facepalm] picture to respond to that thread with.

I couldn't one heavy enough. Post no. 4 is worth it's weight in [facepalm] pictures.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\