Abortion ... the wiki

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

So now the hinge is on consent. :)
If someone puts a gun to your head, and says, "blow me or die" and you do it. are you consenting.

What if they say, "if you want to keep your job/children/etc" are you consenting?

What if they say, "If you want to have access to this completely legal medical procedure, you have to blow me first." And you desperately want said procedure for a variety of reasons. Are you consenting?

Tzor would say yes. Human beings would say no.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

sabs wrote:What if they say, "If you want to have access to this completely legal medical procedure, you have to blow me first."
I would say this was Bill Clinton's fantasy when his wife was pushing Hillary-care. :tongue:
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

And once again tzor lets the 'consent' pitch sail past.

Are we done yet?
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Yeah.. I think Strike 3, you're out applies here.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Yeah, I tried to give him a point by point to make it easier, and he passed after one attempt. As soon as someone says something that he can switch his focus to, he does.

Best case scenario, he doesn't know how to argue this one, but his "common sense" tells him that it can't be right. Best case.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Women Having Abortions Up Premature Birth Risk 34% Next Time
A new study conducted in the United Kingdom finds women who have abortions are 34 percent more likely to deliver a baby prematurely when they become pregnant the next time and to suffer from other pregnancy complications.

Sohinee Bhattacharya, who led the research at the University of Aberdeen, examined more than 1 million pregnancies in Scotland over 26 years and he found that women who have one abortion increase their risk of premature birth in a subsequent pregnancy 34 percent. Women who have a historic risk of giving birth prematurely up that risk another 73 percent when they have an abortion.

The risk is increased enough, because of the abortion, that 10 percent of all women who have an abortion will give birth prematurely in their subsequent pregnancy that they carry to term, the researchers found.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Lifenews again. Joy. Because they're not a bunch of fucking liars at all (psst, yes they are).
The risk is increased enough, because of the abortion, that 10 percent of all women who have an abortion will give birth prematurely in their subsequent pregnancy that they carry to term, the researchers found.
For reference, the U.K. has a collective premature birth rate of about 8%. The U.S. has >12%. The women in this study who got abortions have less of a chance of premature birth than the average U.S. woman.
dangerous RU 486 abortion drug (which has killed dozens of women and injured more than 1,100 in the United States alone).
1) Citation needed.
2) Dangerous? That's retarded. Here are the actual numbers:
Wikipedia wrote:A maternal mortality rate for the U.S. of 24 per 100,000 was reported for 2008
Wikipedia wrote:of about 1.52 million women who had received mifepristone until April 2011 in the US, fourteen were reported to have died after application. Eight of these cases were associated with sepsis; the other six had various causes like drug abuse and suspected murder.
We'll throw out the 6 cases of drug abuse and suspected murder, because side effects of mifepristone cannot possibly include "an addiction to cocaine and being stabbed." That's eight cases of potential death by mifepristone.

Mortality rate of having a baby: 24 in 100,000
Mortality rate of taking mifepristone: .5 in 100,000.
Taking mifepristone is 48 times safer than not taking mifepristone. Calling that dangerous makes you a lying asshole. Lifenews, as well-established by now, are a bunch of lying assholes.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I say we refuse to respond to new things Tzor says until he responds to our refutations of his previous points, instead of letting him change the subject over and over again to keep this train wreck going.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Don't worry, I won't bother posting anything "new" from now on.

Enjoy the hell you have created for yourselves. I'm out of here.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

tzor wrote:Don't worry, I won't bother posting anything "new" from now on.

Enjoy the hell you have created for yourselves. I'm out of here.
I thought we had already established that things were better when you were not fucking here, because we didn't have stupid rape apologists.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Isn't this like the second time he's ragequit?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Koumei wrote:Isn't this like the second time he's ragequit?
At minimum.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

He'll be back, he loves to troll to much to stay away.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
Red Archon
Journeyman

Post by Red Archon »

Damn. I miss his sick ass already.
RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

I don't, fuck that guy
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

tzor wrote:Enjoy the hell you have created for yourselves.
:party: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :party:

Free abortions and secular muslim homosexual turtle marriage agendas for all! WOOOOH! Party!

edit: ...aaand say hello to the most visual annoying signature I have ever had...
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I wouldn't celebrate too much. He will be back after all.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Kaelik wrote: He will be back after all.
It's ONLY five boogie Emoticons.

And yeah, he will be back in approximately six months saying he doesn't know what the fuck anyone is talking about his pro rape probe thread? What pro rape probe thread? He never said that and doesn't know what you are even referring to!

After all I was somewhat closely involved the LAST time he left worked out and it was exactly like that, with all the "There IS no Economic Crisis! I'm an economicalismz EXPERT!" ... six months later... "I left for six months right after making that ridiculously embarrassing claim in the middle of the crisis actually already hitting, er, and I left for, um... for no reason related to shame or anything, and now I'm back and I never said that and I hate and ignore anyone who mentions it or was involved at the time even though it didn't even happen!"
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Koumei wrote:Isn't this like the second time he's ragequit?
How ironic. It was my NPR thread that brought him out of hiding last time, too. This seems very fitting.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Well, now that that unpleasantness is out of the way, let's continue.

What prompted this ridiculous concerted U.S. right-winger flip-out anyway? I mean, this ain't just a thing in Virginia and Texas, they're doing similar measures for Iowa and Idaho. If Scott Walker wasn't already being beset on all sides from unrelated issues I'm almost positive that similar bills would have been considered for Wisconsin.

I'm not going to say that this represents a change of heart, because it's not, I'm just wondering about the timing. If I was a Coathanger Coalition douchebag I would've done the Virginia thing as a trial balloon (though maybe not even that, after how much Mississippi's efforts went down in flames) and then shuffled off to the corner and waited when no one was looking. By making this a cross-country thing is raises voter awareness and makes the party look bad nationally rather than just in a particular state.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I'd assumed it's because it doesn't look like Roe vs Wade is getting overturned anytime soon, so they're looking at ways to slowly but surely get their way.

It kind of reminds me of the ways states are slowly adding medical marijuana laws to the books despite it being illegal on a federal level. Perhaps, on both counts, they think if they have enough states leaning one way, the federal government will eventually follow suite.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Well, there's that, but I suspect it also has something to do with whipping the conservative fundamental crazies into a frothing mass that will show up and vote out Obama. The Republicans don't know how to appeal to anyone but their hardcore base anymore, so "Democrats are baby-murderers, women can't be trusted to make decisions; Christian values are the best!"
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Santorum listened to Kennedy's speech about a secular government where the president of the US wasn't going to let the Pope tell him what to do. Where it didn't matter if you were Catholic, Protestant, or Jewish.

What he got out of it? That he was sickened listening to it, because Kennedy wanted to keep people of faith out of politics.

Sometimes I wonder what bizaro universe Santorum is from.

A Georgetown Law student sat before congress and testified that the cost of birth control for students was too expensive, at 3k per year. Now, I think that birthcontrol should be covered by health insurance. But really, you're paying 100+k for law school, but the cost that's going to break your back is the 3k of birthcontrol?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

sabs wrote:But really, you're paying 100+k for law school, but the cost that's going to break your back is the 3k of birthcontrol?
Yes. There is this thing called FAFSA. One of the things it does is allow me to take out more loans than I would otherwise be qualified for individually, using effectively my education as collateral. It does however, only allow me to do so for the assumed costs of education, and then I can't take out any other fucking loans.

So yes, the fact that I am allowed to borrow 100k over the course of 4 years, but not allowed to borrow 112k over that same period means that birth control is what breaks the bank.

PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

DSMatticus wrote:Well, there's that, but I suspect it also has something to do with whipping the conservative fundamental crazies into a frothing mass that will show up and vote out Obama. The Republicans don't know how to appeal to anyone but their hardcore base anymore, so "Democrats are baby-murderers, women can't be trusted to make decisions; Christian values are the best!"
Pretty much this.
sabs wrote:Sometimes I wonder what bizaro universe Santorum is from.
Sometimes I wonder what bizaro universe I live in, where Santorum can actually win primaries with that shit.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar