Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Thomson iPhones closer than we thought?

Post by Stahlseele »

OK, while i was trying to read up on the Sony HMZ-T1, i stumbled upon this one:
http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/st1080.html
And what can i say, fuck everything else, this will be my next toy/project i think . .
Full HD Head Mounted Display, weights only a fraction of what the Sony one weights . .
Is see through, so can be used with other stuff . . Can be made fully opaque too.
Does not need a frigging big Box like the HMZ-T1 needs. Can be used with a battery pack on the go.
And they are planning a 4k Version too

Only downside is the not OLED screens, as far as i can tell . . price at below 700$ seems VERY reasonable to me too . .

Anybody wanting to weight in a bit on this one?
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Do want. Only question is if this can be worn over glasses.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Quantumboost wrote:Do want. Only question is if this can be worn over glasses.
Attach camera. Feed to HUD. Natural sight is so five years ago.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yes, this should be the break-through for augmented reality by using a mini-computer with an attached camera . .
This would only work for shortsighted people though i think.
Farsighted people would still need their glasses underneath this thing, so they can see the up close and personal screen directly in front of their eyes, right?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

DSMatticus wrote:
Quantumboost wrote:Do want. Only question is if this can be worn over glasses.
Attach camera. Feed to HUD. Natural sight is so five years ago.
Dude, was planning to do this for AR *anyway*. Maybe if my vision weren't so bad I'd be confident this would actually solve the problem. I don't know how accurate the screens would look with out augmenting away my extreme nearsightedness and astigmatism, and I'd rather be sure I can actually use the thing.

Natural sight is still a needed intermediary between the screen and visual cortex, unless you want to use those ridiculously low-resolution cybereyes they're implanting in blind people nowadays.

I dream of the day when that isn't the case, but it hasn't come just yet.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

For nearsighted people this could actually work i guess, seeing how the screens themselves are extremely close to the eyes . .
no idea what astimatism is/does though, so no idea about interaction between/with these two.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Astigmatism is when one (or both) of your lenses isn't symmetrical. So instead of being a circle, it's an oval. So you literally can refocus by tilting your head.

It's a pain in the ass for contacts. They have little weights on the bottom. No noticeable difference, but it costs more, and lying on your side weirds them up.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ah, i see.
Should this not be workable with these adjustable screens too?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: