Teenagers From Outer Space: Impressions

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Teenagers From Outer Space: Impressions

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Well?

Lay me down with everything. Impressions, good points, bad points, the works.

I usually invite people to show me how to min-max these kinds of games, if only to test the integrity of the rules. And I'll do it again.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Re: Teenagers From Outer Space: Impressions

Post by Neeek »

The Good: It's fun.

The Bad: It's low on game. This might not be a problem.

The Weird: There really aren't any hard and fast rules, per se. You can't die, succeeding by too much is as bad or worse than failing, and the main goal of most characters is to get laid. Which never happens.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

and the main goal of most characters is to get laid.

That's about the most deviously evil thing you can do to a gamer when you think about it.

You can either give them blue balls and crushed egos over the failed pursuit of a fictional character or fill them with shame over the completion of a circle-jerk. It's win win!
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1191188401[/unixtime]]

That's about the most deviously evil thing you can do to a gamer when you think about it.

You can either give them blue balls and crushed egos over the failed pursuit of a fictional character or fill them with shame over the completion of a circle-jerk. It's win win!

Or... You can play a one-on-one game session with your significant other, if you catch my drift...:mischief:
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

It was actually the first RPG my little brother played. His character ended up getting bonked by the hotness of the new Chemistry teacher.

He still talks about it to this day, some seven years later.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1191190234[/unixtime]]
Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1191188401[/unixtime]]

Or... You can play a one-on-one game session with your significant other, if you catch my drift...:mischief:

The only thing I remember about roleplaying is that when I was married, after a game there was literally no chance I'd get laid that night. Or for the next week. And if I asked less than one week after playing D&D I got bitched at.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

It really is as simple as Neeek described it. That is a good thing, in my books.

The best way to optimise is actually to have everything be down the middle - 3s and 4s for everything. Seeing as you just roll 1d6 for everything, there's no way to ensure this.

But that being said, something fun usually happens as a result of too much success/failure, so it's just about a win-win situation no matter what you do.

The different alien "races" (IIRC, you have "looks pretty much human" and "doesn't look remotely human" - you fill in the specifics) roll for various random abilities. Humans all get the special human advantage: aliens aren't from around here (hence the term alien), so they will seriously believe anything you tell them in regards to Earth culture etc. It's sort of like being an Australian - people seriously believe you when you talk about hoop snakes.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.