4e Making a Core Cleric

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

I actually play in a 4th edition game, intending to go all the way to 30th I believe (or close to it anyway). It's a rather linear game, with unispired sources of fantasy (Kingdom Hearts, WoW, references abound), but hey it fulfills getting to play an RPG semi-reliably.

As for details, currently 13th level, we're an "All Ranged" Party, an idea I got everyone to agree on, since figured it would make 4th edition bit more interesting (optimization included). Party is currently: Thrii-Kreen Ranger Battlefield Archer (me), Orb Wizard, Minotaur Dragonblood Sorcerer, Tiefling Bow Warlord from MP2, Prescient Bard, and...the "Bob" player that's just kind of there, which is a....Dragonborn fighter..

We use Character Builder, but NOT the latest one, I know that much, not sure how old it is, I know it doesn't have Dark Sun or Essentials material on it. Group Policy on Errata? other than what's in the Character Builder, DM is open to at times using material in its original form, such as using all the core material for Orb of Imposition, without all the "first save" nerf junk for awhile.

Other House rules have employed:

1.) Array is follows: 18, 16, 14, 12, 12, 10 OR... 18, 16, 14, 14, 10, 10

2.) Weapon Expertise Stealth RNG fix whatever, is free feat for all attack rolls

3.) Races don't provide set bonuses, pick to ability scores to go up by +2

4.) 4th/8th level, and their equivalent attribute increases are +2 to two scores, +1 to everything else, while 11th and 21st stay the same +1 to all.

5.) enchantment bonuses are inherent, like in vein of DMG II page 138.

6.) -ish, Spoken to him about using Skill Challenges as Frank suggested long ago, removing the failures, and just tracking successes on a round timer, and so forth. So pretty sure DM be using that idea, but not entirely sure.

Not sure if there's any other House rules I might be forgetting, these are mostly ones I've used for my 4th edition as well.

In some way, I do thank Frank and Lago_Paranoia, for ideas to help improve the 4th edition experience. Actually got the ranged idea from when read old 4th edition threads on here, how could "mongol archer" everything in the game, and thought such a party dynamic might actually change the game a little.

If have any further ideas for this kind of game, that might make it all the more interesting, by all means let me know.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

shirak wrote:Thanks for the analysis shau. The armor idea seems cool so I'll do that. One question though: Why not Cause Fear?
Two reasons:

1. You are a face stabbing cleric, not a holy symbol cleric. Your freakish stats mean you actually you actually use laser cleric powers pretty well, but you still want feats and a actual magic holy symbol to really use laser cleric shit. Its generally best to only take laser cleric stuff if you don't need to hit with it, or if has other benefits that mean you don't care whether or not you hit, like moment of glory.

2. Healing strike is seriously awesome, especially at first level. Healing is really powerful in 4e, but really limited. A leader type character can only heal about 7 hp with a healing surge, but that's enough to make all the leader heals totally worth it. That's one of the reasons that a Divine power laser cleric who can heal about 10 hp with an at will at first level is so hilarious. Having another heal on tap is really important.

That all being said, you might want to take it for your 3rd power choice. Split the sky is only hypothetically good, and it looks like you have four party mates who have AoO potential. I never really though of a strength/ wisdom hybrid, so I can't say much about them.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

So our game died a natural death and it was decided that sufficient fun was had to continue playing 4e. Joy. I'm allowed to keep my crazy stats for a new char so I made a Wizard and a Monk and I was also thinking of a Dwarf Battlerager Fighter until I found out that requires Martial Power.

Anyway, the links for the character sheets are:

Wizard: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?4cf1tm7wkqap0dr

Monk: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?84v3zv716tll968

One the one hand the Wizard has definite MTP potential thanks to the Cantrips and is an all around great character. On the other hand the Monk has great defenses and is pretty powerful on paper. On the gripping hand I don't know if we'll have a Cleric in which case I'll keep my old Battle Cleric and be pretty happy.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to have a second opinion hint hint nudge nudge :thumb:

Edit: We are now using the offline character builder from October 2010. However, any errata that are not build-in will probably be ignored. So Magic Missile is an autohit but the Stealth rules are those from PHB 1 and Healer's Word applies to EVERYTHING.

It probably doesn't change much but I thought I'd mention it.
Last edited by shirak on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

For the wizzy, I think you can get better AoE at-wills than scorching burst: Winged Horde is apparently the way and the path. You can do mini-orbizard (-7 or so to saves permanently). Get a spider familar for the save penalty, then there's some dragon magazine upgrade (assassin vine? Help) for -2, throw phiarlian phantasmist on, get those illusion gloves and spell focus for a total of -8 permanent f.u to saves on illusion spells that immobilize or slow. Does require paragon tier. There are also some more cantrips in essentials books which you might want to look into. Of course, the usual "stack piddly shit +1 bonuses" applies.

Unfortunately I cannot help with the monk, as the only 4e characters I optimize are wizards because they get powers to do things out of combat.

Also, as an aside, does anyone else note that the errata for AV says to "replace the effect with" and doesn't specify a replacement effect?
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:Non-Core Stuff
Dude, that's all very well and good but I can't do any of that. Our game only uses PHB1 and PHB2. Maybe PHB3 for the Monk. Hence the title of the thread. Illusion Wizards and Familiars are Arcane Power which is very much out. :nonono:

My current plan is to cry and beg for an Orb of Fickle Fate and then combine that with my obscene Wisdom score. An Orb of Mental Dominion would be even better. Either way, any BBEGs are going down HARD.
Last edited by shirak on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Ah, my bad. I saw "October 2010 character builder" and thought that meant everything went. Sorry about that.

:(
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I