Moments when a piece of entertainment completely lost you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

They are doing a Spiderman movie reset, and the only reason I can think of to do that is because they couldn't get Tobey Maguire to make any more appearances as Spiderman, and they wanted Spiderman to be in the next Avengers movie. So I think odds are extremely high that Peter Parker with douche hair is going to be a character in Avengers 2.

-Username17
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Actually, no.

Marvel does not own the rights to SpiderMan the Movie right now. And they are not coming back any time in the near future. Like Decades.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

FrankTrollman wrote:They are doing a Spiderman movie reset, and the only reason I can think of to do that is because they couldn't get Tobey Maguire to make any more appearances as Spiderman, and they wanted Spiderman to be in the next Avengers movie. So I think odds are extremely high that Peter Parker with douche hair is going to be a character in Avengers 2.

-Username17
Actually, the reason they are doing a reset is specifically so that Sony can keep the licensing rights, and Marvel can't have it back. You know, keep using it or you lose it. So the actual reason is to keep him out of Avengers.
Sashi wrote:Yeah, you can't really add the Mutant members of Avengers to the Avengers movie until they decide whether the Marvel and Avengers movie universes intersect (also the Spider-Man movie universe seems to be separate).
X men is also licensed out to someone not Marvel,but someone different from Spiderman. So you can also count on Wolverine not being part of any Avengers movie until that changes.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Sony is rebooting Spider-Man specifically because their contract has a must make a Spider-Man movie every X number of years or the rights revert clause.

Fox has the rights to the X-Men with a similar clause. Neither is likely to let their rights revert.

Fox also has the movie rights to the Fantastic Four (which is why they couldn't use the Skrulls in Avengers) and Daredevil. Sony has Ghost Rider.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

hyzmarca wrote:Sony is rebooting Spider-Man specifically because their contract has a must make a Spider-Man movie every X number of years or the rights revert clause.
And they are re-tooling it to make it more like Twilight. Because you know how the ladies love them some Twilight!

It's going to be a fucking train wreck.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

echoVanguard wrote:I just saw Prometheus, and I enjoyed myself - the movie definitely has a great soundtrack and some really amazing visual effects. That being said, it is much closer to Cabin in the Woods than Alien. I strongly suggest not opening the spoiler until after seeing the film.
The premise and theme of the film were solid. But the actual plot itself was full of fucking holes, which is to be expected when you hire one of the guys that wrote Lost to be a scriptwriter. I would *like* to think that an Extended Cut of the film would help rectify this to some degree, but some of the characters acted so moronically that simply adding extra footage won't resolve the issue.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Ganbare Gincun wrote:And they are re-tooling it to make it more like Twilight.
Source?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Ganbare Gincun wrote:And they are re-tooling it to make it more like Twilight.
Source?
And yeah, apparently if SONY doesn't make a Spiderman movie every X number of years, the rights to do so will revert to Disney. So now they are making a reboot/retcon with a newer, cheaper actor.

-Username17
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I have a really hard time feeling put out by Cullen hair given that the guy they are replacing was so milquetoast that when they decided to demonstrate his new found dark side they couldn't really come up with much more sinister than jazz piano. Jazz fucking piano. I didn't even like the first two movies, but then, I never really liked Spider-man.
Sashi
Knight-Baron

Post by Sashi »

I will be fine with this as long as they do the origin story in 5 minutes over the opening credits.

If it's another 2-hour origin story of the third most well known origin story (behind Batman and Superman) then there will be words.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Just watched Prometheus. So now I can look at the spoilarrrrrs from last thread page.
Yeah, the crew composition and behavior is completely stupid. I have a horrible penchant for giving extreme benefit of the doubt, and I tried to tell myself, okay, it must be really horrible wearing a helmet if your nose is itchy or you are smoking, and their super high tech stuff said it was safe. But regardless, they're still behaving like idiots.

The geologist likely did have some reason for being pissed that his expertise was completely not called for or used on their mission. That said, he did perform the extremely useful function of mapping the place... which could have been done by a monkey who knew how to toss balls up in the air.

I don't think David was a complete prick as much as he was simply following orders from Weyland. Holloway, the intentionally infected scientist seemed to be pretty useless (a common affliction) thanks to his frumpiness at not meeting his unreasonably high expectations for the first active day of the mission. Maybe Weyland decided, "Fuck it, I am gonna die soon, let's see what this stuff does! I need answers nooooooow. David, get me a 'volunteer'."

David was actually pretty helpful to Dr. Shaw once free of the influence of Weyland, warning her of the incoming Titan (that's what I call the Engineers). And of course David did seem pretty easy going about not returning to Earth to get a new body, but instead being a head-in-a-bag assistant to help operate the ship for Dr Shaw. It's gonna be a rude surprise for Dr Shaw when the David-head runs out of power and she is up shit creek without a paddle. It will also be interesting to see what she eats in that ship since the Titans probably store their food right next to face-fucking alien sausages.

Yes, both the requirement that all spaceships must crash nearby and slooooooowly in addition to the failure to run perpendicular to falling object paths was so cliched and stupid it was painful to watch. Only 1 out of 5 of my watching group tried to make excuses that it was an accepted technique to bring excitement to the moment, which we 4 scoffed at.

My wife having had two tentacle monster babies of her own was upset that Dr. Shaw was handling her super-fast parasite aliendectomy so well. I suggested that she was running on strong drugs which she kept reapplying via that hypo. And I also noted that really once you suspend disbelief that something could steal that much of her mass internally that quickly without killing her outright, then any function she commands from that point on is also flowing from that suspension of disbelief anyway.

I think there were a variety of different aliens because the captain was right on with his wild assumption that this was a bioweapons plant and they managed to activate many different kinds at once. I presume that piece of supposition was to be taken as truthful exposition.

I think the movie just raised more questions than it answered. We debated many possibilities afterward. The Titans may have been fighting each other hence the need for bioweapons. Perhaps the Titans were a nominally intelligent servitor race and the guy who created "earth/human life" was a rebel Prometheus (my preferred theory). Or the Titan who suicides at the start of the movie may not have even been sentient, he may have been constructed for that purpose. Who knows? They apparently can grow things pretty quickly and possess know-how to imbed intelligence/knowledge genetically.

I was expecting this to be the same planet as the original Alien, but the way the ship landed and pilot died, it most definitely was not (also YLM noted the planet had a different name, which I missed). So the Titans apparently have had multiple total catastrophic failures of bio-weapon containment. Basically, the Titans are a bunch of fuck-ups. Given their safety protocols of "leave the shit just laying around", "when in danger, run into a room full of more hazardous shit", and "watch out for our deadly doors" it is no surprise that they keep killing themselves with their own tech. Clearly these were not a results-driven or safety-conscious people. More strength to my theory that Titans are a servitor race that is running amok and not doing very well without their leadership.

The notion that Titans seeding our planet with their DNA to create us seems pretty flimsy since in practice it looks like their methods are much better for getting millions of years of dinosaurs instead...unless this "life seeding" was sometime after dinosaurs.

Perhaps the Prometheus Titan sacrificed himself and humans grew like the other aliens in the movie. That is to say newly formed proto-humans/Titans popping out of the water rapidly and inexplicably grown with an overwhelming urge to face-fuck whatever they could find. Actually, that sounds rather plausible. Or they created aliens which face-fucked early apes or something and eventually became humans by design. Really all their bioweapons amount to clever ways to insert a penis down an alien creature's throat. I'm surprised the start of the movie wasn't a Titan jacking-off onto the waterfall.

Too many possibilities and too little evidence. Perhaps David's language skills weren't as impressive as he hoped and he mistranslated an extremely poorly timed insult to the awakened Titan. Maybe he spoke with an accent of an enemy faction of Titans. Maybe they're just really cranky after a 2000 year nap and need coffee to avoid going psychotic.

I'm not really looking forward to another sequel, but maybe David's head could make the movie entertaining.
[edit]
Also, penny arcade weighs in on the right side of things.
Last edited by erik on Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Reading Honor Harrington. Why do I do this to myself?
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:Reading Honor Harrington. Why do I do this to myself?
Why am I hoping the French, I mean, the "People's Republic" wins in each book?
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

New Peter Parker looks more like how I'd imagine Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire. I confess I was really worried about the Amazing Spider-Man, but the new trailer has me cautiously optimistic. Mostly it's that he got a really good quip in it, which is an element of Spider-Man I'd always missed in the Raimi films. The Edward Cullen hair doesn't really bother me, Peter Parker has a lot more in common with Edward Cullen than most nerds who toe the party line would like to admit. He's a whiny, mopey teenager, but unlike Edward that's not all there is to him and they're not trying to sell me on his being a century-old super-boyfriend who's perfect in every way, so it doesn't really bug me. Character flaw are not bad.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Early Peter Parker has very much a "why me" attitude.
He's got the Batman my Parents got Shot! super-whine, but he adds to it with the, why does JJ print such crap about me.

He doesn't look right for me as Peter, but then i'm not sure who would. Toby never did either so. I'm not sure what actor best looks like Peter Parker to me. That being said, I'm used to there being 3-4 different SpiderMan comics all going at the same time (hell, I remember once when there were 8) so another Spiderman Reboot, doesn't bother me. As long as they get the dialogue right. But given this is being done by Universal and note Marvel. I don't have high hopes.

It's hard to find actors who fit the mold of the superheros they are playing well. So far, the ones I've really liked have been:
Tony Stark - Robert Downey Jr
Green Lantern - Ryan Reynolds (I know, a bit controversial)
Thor - Chris Helmsworth
Superman - Christopher Reeve
Professor X - Patrick Stewart
Wolverine - Hugh Jackman
Ben Grim - Michael Chiklis
Mr Fantastic - Ioan Gruffudd
I've not really been happy with any of the Batman's. I've enjoyed some of the movies, because of the Villains. But none of the actors playing Batman/Bruce have really gotten both sides of him well.

Everyone else has been sort of, lack luster.
Captain America is.. too whiney, and not.. Captain Enough. I'm hoping Captain America 2 will fix that.
Last edited by sabs on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Space Quest VI lost me 5 minutes of the way into the game. I know that Roger Wilco is supposed to be a lovable loser of a janitor who stumbles into victory, but they really took it too far with the reset button.

Space Quest V, incidentally, is my favorite.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Fuchs wrote:
Probably because they are established as "bad guys" mainly due to being a "welfare state". That then leads to some backstory about how they need to conquer wherever-it-is-now to secure funding in a way that's supposed to evoke the looting of real-world facism and generate knee-jerk reader revulsion. Except that if you have three brain cells, you've noticed that in these books the "heroes" are all military - which is to say drawing a government paycheck and using government equipment. And then no small amount of ink is used explaining how much easier this time around would be if only they had bigger ships and had spent more taxpayer money on weapons systems. So while the bad guys villainy is established with the shorthand of "welfare state uses aggression to fund itself" the good guys motivations are actually described in great detail as "beneficiaries of government largess could really use more as they counter-agress in systems foreign to both powers".

It wouldn't take much to translate the Honorverse from "'Trek homage novel series", into "hilariously ironic self-aware spoof"
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Josh_Kablack wrote:
Fuchs wrote:
Probably because they are established as "bad guys" mainly due to being a "welfare state". That then leads to some backstory about how they need to conquer wherever-it-is-now to secure funding in a way that's supposed to evoke the looting of real-world facism and generate knee-jerk reader revulsion. Except that if you have three brain cells, you've noticed that in these books the "heroes" are all military - which is to say drawing a government paycheck and using government equipment. And then no small amount of ink is used explaining how much easier this time around would be if only they had bigger ships and had spent more taxpayer money on weapons systems. So while the bad guys villainy is established with the shorthand of "welfare state uses aggression to fund itself" the good guys motivations are actually described in great detail as "beneficiaries of government largess could really use more as they counter-agress in systems foreign to both powers".

It wouldn't take much to translate the Honorverse from "'Trek homage novel series", into "hilariously ironic self-aware spoof"
Well, that and the villains are cardboard, boring incompetents. It's pretty hard to take them seriously when all they do is bumble around and fall into obvious traps.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Josh_Kablack wrote: It wouldn't take much to translate the Honorverse from "'Trek homage novel series", into "hilariously ironic self-aware spoof"
Trek homage? I'm pretty sure that Honor Harrington is 100% Horatio Hornblower in Space (and female for some reason). Actually, I'm certain that it's Horatio Hornblower in space, down to Manticore being the Space British Empire fighting the Space Napoleonic War against Space Imperial France.

Similarities with Trek probably come from the fact that Trek also rips off Horatio Hornblower, though to a much lesser degree.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

hyzmarca wrote:
Josh_Kablack wrote: It wouldn't take much to translate the Honorverse from "'Trek homage novel series", into "hilariously ironic self-aware spoof"
Trek homage? I'm pretty sure that Honor Harrington is 100% Horatio Hornblower in Space (and female for some reason). Actually, I'm certain that it's Horatio Hornblower in space, down to Manticore being the Space British Empire fighting the Space Napoleonic War against Space Imperial France.

Similarities with Trek probably come from the fact that Trek also rips off Horatio Hornblower, though to a much lesser degree.
Honor Harrington is Horatio Hornblower in space. Cordelia's Honor was originally a Star Trek fanfic that Lois McMaster Bujold filed the serial numbers off of in order to have it be a standalone work of science fiction. Barrayarans were originally Klingons, Beta Colony was originally the Federation, and so on and so on.

But yeah, the lack of self awareness in Honor Harrington is so thick that I can't even finish one of the books. It's a right wing fantasy so out there that they are literally government workers demanding more funding to fight overblown government funding. It hurts. In the brain.

-Username17
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Harrington is not Horatio Hornblower, but Horatio Nelson in space, right down do losing an arm and an eye as the real admiral.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

How could someone be so against the welfare state that they strawman it and yet remain a fan of STAR TREK of all series? That is, a series that is as unapologetically Bolshevist as you can get on television. Or anyone has ever gotten for that matter. It'd be like Dr. King writing a homage to the Turner Diaries or Dr. Dawkins writing Left Behind fanfic.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Different authors. David Weber writes the Harrington Series, and other usually military based works.

Bujold is famous for her Vorkosigan series. The series is very good, with very compelling characters and interesting cultures as well.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

hyzmarca wrote:Fox has the rights to the X-Men with a similar clause. Neither is likely to let their rights revert.
I guess that explains why they came out with several movies after the initial trilogy. I didn't know this. I thought they believed they were making awesome quality movies, and not just trying to maintain the rights on their property.

Weird.

Sashi wrote:I will be fine with this as long as they do the origin story in 5 minutes over the opening credits.

If it's another 2-hour origin story of the third most well known origin story (behind Batman and Superman) then there will be words.
I agree. That's one thing I liked about the second hulk movie. That first one took sooo long to get to him actually being the Hulk.

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Space Quest VI lost me 5 minutes of the way into the game. I know that Roger Wilco is supposed to be a lovable loser of a janitor who stumbles into victory, but they really took it too far with the reset button.
I never played anything other than the third. What did they do different with him in VI?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

RobbyPants wrote:I never played anything other than the third. What did they do different with him in VI?
In Space Quest V, you gain the captainship of a garbage scow, complete with crew. Much of the game involves winning them and your love interest over and them going from treating you like something on the bottom of your shoe to a friend and even someone worthy of respect. Sort of like Galaxy Quest.

Space Quest VI undoes all of the accomplishments/character development in the last game and starts you off as it did the other four games in the series. So my problem isn't that they didn't do anything different with him so much as they kept him the same character he was in previous games.

Sort of like Spiderman doing you know what with you know who and then no more marriage.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.