How many attributes for your attribute-based game?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Catharz
Knight-Baron

How many attributes for your attribute-based game?

Post by Catharz »

Flavor-wise, not for balance (there's been good discussion of that already). I means for a purely attribute based game, where any roll you make will be based on your attributes alone (although level or equipment bonuses are fair game).

To cover the bases for a modern/future game, I think Shadowrun does decently well, but I'd make a few tweaks:

Empathy (Charisma), Grace (Dexterity, Agility), Intelligence, Perception, Physique (Strength, Body), Speed (Quickness, Reaction), & Willpower

7 seems like a good start. Any way to cut this down? Any more I'm missing? What the hell attribute do you use for things like 'painting'? Is this even worth trying to do, or am I walking the path to FATAL?
RandomCasualty
Prince

Re: How many attributes for your attribute-based game?

Post by RandomCasualty »

Catharz at [unixtime wrote:1197098293[/unixtime]]
Empathy (Charisma), Grace (Dexterity, Agility), Intelligence, Perception, Physique (Strength, Body), Speed (Quickness, Reaction), & Willpower

7 seems like a good start. Any way to cut this down? Any more I'm missing? What the hell attribute do you use for things like 'painting'? Is this even worth trying to do, or am I walking the path to FATAL?

Painting would just be whatever you use for picking a lock. So the basic manual dexterity stat.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I think it would be Perception. Maybe Empathy. It would depend on whether your goal was accuracy or emotional impact.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

You need as many stats as determined by the archetypes that your system is designed to support.

In D&D we have 6 because there is parity with archetypes of the Strong Fighter, Dashing Fighter, Sturdy Fighter; Wise Caster, Smart Caster, Charming Scoundrel.

Then it goes from there... It seems logical that we have six also because we have Physical Tenacity, Mental Tenacity; or 'Life', hitpoints, etc; then we have Intensity and Accuracy for each. That works... But will leave you wondering if it fits the story, hence the names they gave them.

-Crissa