What are GOOD things that happened to the RPG industry 2012

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

What are GOOD things that happened to the RPG industry 2012

Post by OgreBattle »

Year's ending.

Did anything good come of 2012 for RPGs?
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Can we just talk about the good boardgames that sorta play like RPGs, because this is the year I've pretty much written off new stuff for RPGs and believe that people are just going to keep on using the old materials for their games.
Last edited by Zinegata on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Well, the utter failure that 5e is shaping up to be might lead to Mearls and co. finally getting fired and never being allowed to touch an RPG again.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

This is a good exercise, trying to think positively. There where a few retroclones that I was interested in get released, Dungeon Crawl Classics and Myth and Magic. I bought both and regretted neither.

WotC not continuing essentials and just working on 5e in secret is a good thing, compared to a possible Osborne effect. Paizo keeps printing what it's printing, which is good for Paizo fans. Anything that keeps people playing TTRPGs this year is probably a good thing.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Legend raised 13 thousand dollars for charity. And it had the best multiclassing idea I've seen in a classed RPG so far. Shame it is so limited by the treasure system and lack of material on stuff that can be done out of combat.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Dungeon World and Apocalypse World exist, Tenra Bansho Zero got funded, Fate Core made stupid money (over 1000% funded in a day and a half), Golden Sky Stories might get translated, JComi has Japanese TTRPGS up on online for free, and a WoF concept class was finally finished.

There's a lot of interesting shit out there the Den doesn't normally focus on.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

The Legend RPG came out, got a lot of charity for kids. Quite possibly the best thing to have happened.

WotC produced Elminster's Forgotten Realms. It's a very good read, and systemless as well (hooray for not focusing on the Spellplague!)

Kickstarter's making it easy for people outside the industry to get their product off the ground. There were a lot of crappy RPGs funded, but Kickstarter got us Dungeon World (which I hear a lot of good stuff about).
K
King

Post by K »

Monte Cook doing a successful Kickstarter for an RPG is pretty positive since it says that RPG players are willing to fund new games outside of the big publishers.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

What's the Legend multiclassing system?
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

K wrote:Monte Cook doing a successful Kickstarter for an RPG is pretty positive since it says that RPG players are willing to fund new games outside of the big publishers.
Has the game been published yet?
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

fectin wrote:What's the Legend multiclassing system?
Three track modularity; every class and subclass is made up of three tracks, which you can switch out with any other class's track, as long as they grant abilities at the same rate as your old track. You can buy out your magic item schedule for another track for a feat.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Can't we have someone doing a (drunken(or armed review if you think that is safer)) review of Legend?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

ishy wrote:Can't we have someone doing a (drunken(or armed review if you think that is safer)) review of Legend?
I promise no entertainment value whatsoever would come from that.
Last edited by Kaelik on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

ishy wrote:Can't we have someone doing a (drunken(or armed review if you think that is safer)) review of Legend?
Last I checked, it doesn't have a monster manual. So it's not really a game, so much as a series of spit-balled ideas for an upcoming fantasy heartbreaker. As far as I know it's still basically as vaporious as E20.

-Username17
ModelCitizen
Knight-Baron

Post by ModelCitizen »

From what monster material they did post, it looks like the Monster Manual was going to be new tracks and prefab character builds rather than traditional monster writeups. Legend monsters are supposed to be built entirely out of PC-playable class tracks (unless they're minions). They've already published the tracks for dragons, giants, elementals, undead, constructs, and a few others.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Legend has a single published adventure, which has monsters written up in it. There are a couple of reasons I dislike it, but it is perfectly playable.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

The game would be full of stuff like...

A: "I want to make a castle"
MC: "I have no damn clue how to even start that."
A: "How much does it cost?"
MC: "Uhh wealth doesn't exist."
A: "So can I have a castle?"
MC: "I... don't know?"
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

ah, the tracks...

Hahah, I had a similar idea (or maybe the same idea with different wording), but I haven't gone anything near making a finished work so kudos to Legend for going out and doing it.

Yeah, what boardgame/RPG hybrids are the ones to look for?
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Zombicide is looking promising if you're into the whole zombie craze. It's got a levelling system, lots of scenarios for a campaign, and zombie movement is pre-programmed so there's no real need for an MC.

Descent 2nd Ed came out, which is at least faster than the old game and comes with the campaign system out of the box now.

Everyone also seems to love Mice and Mystics for some reason, but I've yet to try it.
Last edited by Zinegata on Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

last GOOD thing for RPGs i saw was Paizo taking the WotC D&D players away from D&D for the most part and over to Pathfinder.

sadly WotC doesnt understand that the group of customers that went to PF, are NOT interested in D&D anymore, and still trying to gain them back with gimmicks like 3rd had, and trying to please everyone rather than weed out ideas that jsut dont belong being forced on everyone that intends to play.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Mask_De_H wrote:Dungeon World and Apocalypse World exist, Tenra Bansho Zero got funded, Fate Core made stupid money (over 1000% funded in a day and a half), Golden Sky Stories might get translated, JComi has Japanese TTRPGS up on online for free, and a WoF concept class was finally finished.

There's a lot of interesting shit out there the Den doesn't normally focus on.
I suppose when people speak of it being boring around here, then it's the fault of them not doing something about it eh?

Anyway, I've heard it being referenced multiple times on here in the past, character packs do seem interesting. Though "interesting" as that may be, and good to always have more material to keep RPG's going, does bring the question of its quality, or if it's any "Good".

While I'm interested in these things you've introduced me to, I wonder concern to "Tenra Bansho Zero" rules lite approach and bonuses to describing things (as I've heard it doesn't really work out, such as exalted doing it poorly). I've no clue what Fate Core does exactly, is it a game for Modern shootouts (like Shadowrun), collection of superpowers (M&M), awesome sounding dudes that get punked by housecats and their mongol archers (dumb D&D experiences, FantasyCraft, 4th edition).

So as for the other things of interest, may I inquire further what those be, as well how one might go about finding about these new things (good site for RPG news or what have you). Possible idea is that, not we don't look for interesting things, but what moreso seems to stick out or have potential. Not going to reference every time a AD&D clone comes out (though den has mentioned a few...), forum might get mucked down by "new game, same issues" that crops up.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Aryxbez wrote:I've no clue what Fate Core does exactly, is it a game for Modern shootouts (like Shadowrun), collection of superpowers (M&M), awesome sounding dudes that get punked by housecats and their mongol archers (dumb D&D experiences, FantasyCraft, 4th edition).
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/fate-core

PM if you are curious what the rules look like.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

There is a "stonepunk" cave man RPG out:

Cavemaster

http://www.prismnet.com/unigames/cm/cavemaster.html

It looks pretty interesting.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

If I click on the cavemaster FAQ I get the FAQ for a different game.
Where can you actually see anything about it?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.