Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both, Continued

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

JonSetanta
King

Re: Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both, Continued

Post by JonSetanta »

Damn... even 3.5e Jump checks still make me cringe. That's too far.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Yet Another "Enough with Fighter threads!" thread
Sigh... I wouldn't be surprised if WotC made "Fighter" threads not allowed if this keeps up.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Thats rather a good idea. Its not like anyone ever brings anything new to the discuss. Just the same stupid shit over and over. 'course, we don't necessarily need to bring it here every time someone brings up the same old stupid shit.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

That would be awesome. Next they can ban the term "CoDzilla".
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Voss at [unixtime wrote:1196649931[/unixtime]]Thats rather a good idea. Its not like anyone ever brings anything new to the discuss. Just the same stupid shit over and over. 'course, we don't necessarily need to bring it here every time someone brings up the same old stupid shit.

Every Fighter-centric thread might as well be a repost.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Exactly
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

I'm a new DM, should I allow a warlock or soul-knife?
wrote:We spent our last session doing nothing but character creation and one person wanted to be a warlock and one wanted to be a multi-class fighter soulknife. I looked at both classes and I got this overwhelming feeling from both that they were broken but I wanted to get your opinions.

CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

I'm a new DM, should I allow a warlock or soul-knife?
Malacor_Wraith wrote:I'm co-DMing a campaign with a friend (mostly because I know the math for 3.5 better than anyone else in our group

I think his friends were being sarcastic when they told him this.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1196651353[/unixtime]]
Voss at [unixtime wrote:1196649931[/unixtime]]Thats rather a good idea. Its not like anyone ever brings anything new to the discuss. Just the same stupid shit over and over. 'course, we don't necessarily need to bring it here every time someone brings up the same old stupid shit.

Every Fighter-centric thread might as well be a repost.

You mean how Khan the Destroyer comes in by the fifth post every time to say that a Core-Only Fighter is completely fine? Or the fact that the arguments he references as proving it are essentially on the grounds that if you burn through a huge number of potions you can barely sqeak by against level appropriate enemies if those enemies don't take advantage of their own special abilities at all?

-Username17
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Isn't half the argument more to do with how the system works (feats, armor, and some styles of combat are just plain inferior) than the actually fighter. The fighter seems to be more of a victim of the system then the cause.

Now to the opening post...
Orenmir;14441586 wrote:There is nothing wrong with the Fighter class. It is a "build-your-own" warrior class; and, the real problem is that most players don't know how to build it. Yes, it has the potential for disaster, because the player has to choose the feats. Choose poorly, and your build is crap. Choose wisely, and your build works fine -- and highly customized for what you want your warrior to do.

So if I don't know how to build something, it will suck...no shit sherlock.

Now, the only caveat is that you can't restrict the Fighter to core-only. The feat selection is too narrow. The core-only Fighter has been fixed by the existance of numerous extra feats in the numerous non-core books. Allow all official sources for feat selection and you can build dozens of different styles of effective Fighters.

So if I add more books, I have more shit to sift through. Guess who else gets better when you add more books...every other bloody class.

Yes, it is labor-intensive to build a good Fighter. TS!! Buy/borrow/loan at the library all the books you can get your hands on to research the feats. The next time someone says the Fighter is weak or needs a fix, I'll first ask them: "Have you built one?" Then I'll ask: "How many feats did you research?" If the number is less than 100... OF COURSE YOUR FIGHTER SUCKS! YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO BUILD ONE!!

/rant

So if I do research my class would be better...*sighs* that applies to any class.

That was just a really bad rant that can be applied to any class, so you are not proving that fighter is good, but that research makes your class better.

Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Ah, the old more choices = more power fallacy.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1196684804[/unixtime]]Ah, the old more choices = more power fallacy.
Surely having more distinctive choices is better than having less? At least when 'less' choices does not contain good options for many situations and 'more' contains good options for common situations that 'less' does not?

I can see how having a list of things to do that are all essentially the same thing could be confused with 'many choices' but if the abilities are different only in name, or are useless, than they are not really separate choices, no?
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Fwib wrote:Surely having more distinctive choices is better than having less?

Actually it's not, because you still get the same number of feats to choose, regardless how big the pool you can choose from is.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1196669258[/unixtime]]
You mean how Khan the Destroyer comes in by the fifth post every time to say that a Core-Only Fighter is completely fine? Or the fact that the arguments he references as proving it are essentially on the grounds that if you burn through a huge number of potions you can barely sqeak by against level appropriate enemies if those enemies don't take advantage of their own special abilities at all?

-Username17

You forgot his argument that Fighters can get big numbers and obviously that's what matters.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1196687941[/unixtime]]
Fwib wrote:Surely having more distinctive choices is better than having less?

Actually it's not, because you still get the same number of feats to choose, regardless how big the pool you can choose from is.
Ah... sorry, I was confused, probably lack of reading - I intended 'choices available to the character in-combat/in-game' rather than 'choices available to the player at character creation'

Clearly having a zillion things you can never do is worse than having only a few things you can never do.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

But having more choices increases the chance that you'll be able to find more synergies. The correlation isn't always true, but generally "more choices" does = "more power" and it's far from a fallacy.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

RandomCasualty wrote:But having more choices increases the chance that you'll be able to find more synergies. The correlation isn't always true, but generally "more choices" does = "more power" and it's far from a fallacy.

It also increases the chance you'll get 2 feats that don't synergize at all.

On the whole, I'd say that having more feats to choice from isn't better or worse than having just the core ones.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

[Double Post]
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1196692457[/unixtime]]

But having more choices increases the chance that you'll be able to find more synergies. The correlation isn't always true, but generally "more choices" does = "more power" and it's far from a fallacy.

Having more different chargen options doesn't make your character any better.

When they add more feats, they are adding more feats that your fighter won't have, because the number of bonus feats he gets by 8th level has not changed (5). Similarly, when they add more Wizard Spells, they are adding more spells that your Fighter won't have, because the number of Wizard spells he gets by 8th level has not changed (0).

Clerics get better when you publish more Cleric spells because he can draw upon any of them during an adventure. Wizards and Rogues get slightly better when more Wizard spells get published because they can spend resources to dumpster dive the lists to get at them in any of a number of ways (plus, none of the spells have any prereqs so you can just go grab them cold if it turns out that you want them. But Fighter Feats don't change a Fighter in any way. New feat chains may as well be class features of someone else's class - because you will seriously never see them.

-Username17
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Catharz at [unixtime wrote:1196563008[/unixtime]] hi every1 im new!!!!!!! *holds up spork* my name is katy but u can call me t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol...as u can see im very random!!!!

On behalf of werepenguins everwhere I object to this blatent attempt at ah whatever it is. My NationStates character, Flash Blonde, werepenguin, rugby star, past delegate to the United Nations also objects and would (if he could) politely defenstrate you out of this room and throw a guenine Republic of Kenny C4 exploding penguin at the spot outside the building where you have just landed.

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

tzor at [unixtime wrote:1196699104[/unixtime]]C4 exploding penguin at the spot outside the building where you have just landed.

Someone called us, dood.

A Custom Samurai
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

DOOOOOD!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1196728672[/unixtime]]DOOOOOD!

WARK!
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I tried to tell him to get rid of dead levels, and he just goes and adds stuff that gives you +2 to Profession (Gardening) checks. Seriously, what the fuck?
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

I'm just confused by the bit where he sticks a bit of his fucking soul into his weapon so he can get smacked by XP loss every time someone sunders it. What does he get for it? A slight bonus against sunder or disarm attempts 3 levels later, which inflicts an AC penalty. The bonus gets slightly larger at 13th level, and then at 19th, he negates the XP loss penalty he inflicted on himself. For no reason.

Oh sorry, xp loss *and* combat penalties. Which last until the DM lets him RP his way out of it. Classic!

Hell, I'd have a Sorcerer NPC just pop up and toss shatter at his weapon on a regular basis just for being stupid enough to play this pile of crap.

So I gave him my advice. I expect to be whined at for being mean, but he did ask for brutal honesty.