Polar Ray

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Wiseman
Duke

Polar Ray

Post by Wiseman »

The big question. Why the hell is it an 8th level spell?!
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Because the designers are dumb.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Eh. makes sense
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The history on that is that it was pulled out of the old spell Otiluke's Freezing Sphere. That was a spell in 3rd edition and before that was "pretty good" on the grounds that it had a bunch of options. And for 3.5, they chopped it up into bits and made each version a different level. So the ice beam version was considered the "best" because Andy Collins gets wood for direct damage, so it's higher level than the other versions.

It's a variant on "compare fighter options to fighter options, compare wizard options to wizard options". Only in this case it's comparing different options of a single multi-use spell to each other. So the final comparison is more super retarded than normal.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Pretty much. Evocation could be much better if the "XdY/caster level" spells were all found in spell levels 0-2, and you just got heighten spell automatically (or some other way to get around dice caps.)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Prak_Anima wrote:Pretty much. Evocation could be much better if the "XdY/caster level" spells were all found in spell levels 0-2, and you just got heighten spell automatically (or some other way to get around dice caps.)
We adopted Frank's suggested Evocation fix for our Tome game. It mostly works fine, although we did find it clashed with Kaelik's (AlphaNerd's) metamagic fix which caused a bit of an anomaly until we fixed it by instituting level based damage caps. Now it just means that Wizard's can load up their lower level slots with some reasonable area damaging spells and contribute to the damage war if they want to.
Last edited by Red_Rob on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire