Let's Play Fighting Fantasy #6: Deathtrap Dungeon

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

What should we do if we die in this?

Restart from last point we were alive
50%
Restart from beginning
25%
End the madness
No votes
Start another book
25%

Total votes: 12

Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Fudge, I have no clue. On top? If we get crushed, its on me.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You step confidently to the first pole and stride across to the next. As you land on the third pole, it immediately releases a shower of sharp splinters, each several centimeters long. Lose 2 LUCK points. They fly out in all directions at great speed, and you cannot avoid being hit. Roll two dice for the number of splinters that sink into your flesh. (roll a 2 and a 3, total 5) Each one reduces your STAMINA by 1 point. If you are still alive you manage to scramble over the remaining poles and sit down to the painful task of removing the splinters from your body. After resting for a while, you set off east again.

(Ouch. Should we eat a Meal or two? Our Luck's still really good, actually)

The tunnel ends at a junction. The footprints you have been following turn north and you decide to stay with them.

You soon come to another junction in the tunnel. One branch leads east, but the wet footprints you have been following continue north and you decide to follow their trail.
The passage spreads out into a wide cavern which is darker but much drier. Ahead you see the footprints gradually fade, then disappear. There is a large idol in the center of the cavern, standing approximately six meters high. It has jeweled eyes, each as big as your fist. There are two giant stuffed birds standing on either side of the idol.

Do you want to climb the idol to take the jewels or walk through the cavern to the tunnel in the opposite wall?

SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 12/19
LUCK 10/12
Equipment: Leather Armor, Sword
Gold Pieces: 2
Provisions: 10 Meals (+4 STAMINA each)
Potions: Potion of Fortune (restores LUCK to full and increases Initial value by 1)
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Fighting Fantasy gamebooks had the most awesome pictures. And I vote we should eat a meal, no point dying in a fight because we wanted to save our jellied eels for later.

Regarding the idol, i know prising the gems from the eyes of giant idols is practically the entrance exam for becoming an adventurer, but think about it for a second. We'll become rich beyond the dreams of Avarice just for getting out of the Dungeon, so does it really make sense to go risking the obvious death trap for a little more disposable cash on top? If i was doing a risk-reward analysis that would seem insane.

On the other hand shinies! And fighting giant stuffed birds come to life sounds badass. Hell, climb the idol.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Walk through the cavern, dudes.

Taking the jewels out of mysterious idols never, ever leads to good things.

Edit: Wait, we have jellied eels? Sweet. I want some.

Also, I suggest our character be named Errol Flynn. Because of the jellied eels.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(OK, we're at a tie. Next vote decides.)
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Can I vote twice?
Half asleep upon my knee
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

It's not going to be enough to just walk through. We also need to collect certain objects on the way.

I vote for eating, then gems.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

How about we do the best of all worlds and eat the gems, then walk away?
Half asleep upon my knee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(So we eat 2 heaping helpings of jellied eels, restoring us to full, and then opt to climb!)

The idol is smooth and will be difficult to climb. Do you have any rope? (No.)

Slowly and carefully, you begin to climb the idol. You are about to grab hold of its large ear when suddenly your foot slips. Test Your Luck.

(Roll 3, 1; Total 4. Less than or equal to 10. We are Lucky!)

You just manage to grab the idol's earlobe and regain your footing. You scramble over its face and sit down on the bridge of its nose. You draw your sword and consider which jeweled eye to prise out first.

Do we prise out the left eye or the right eye?

SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 19/19
LUCK 9/12
Provisions: 8 Meals (+4 STAMINA each)
Potions: Potion of Fortune (restores LUCK to full and increases Initial value by 1)
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

LEFT! LEFT! LEFTIST!
Half asleep upon my knee
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Left is bereft. (of danger I hope!)
Simplified Tome Armor.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Battle! Battle! BATTLE!!!
Half asleep upon my knee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

As you touch the emerald eye of the idol, you hear a creaking sound below you. Looking down, you are shocked to see the two birds taking flight. Their wings flap in jerky motions. but they are soon above you and ready to attack. Fight the FLYING GUARDIANS one at a time, but reduce your SKILL by 3 during this combat because of your restricted position.

First FLYING GUARDIAN: SKILL 7 STAMINA 8
Second FLYING GUARDIAN: SKILL 8 STAMINA 8

(Our first fight, and it's a tough one! Our effective SKILL is 5 for this fight.)

ROUND 1: FIGHT!
FLYING GUARDIAN: 15
YOU: 15 (tie)

FLYING GUARDIAN: 10
YOU: 10 (Tie, again)

FLYING GUARDIAN: 12
YOU: 16 (we hit! Its stamina is at 6)

FLYING GUARDIAN: 14
YOU: 10 (they hit! Our stamina is at 17)

FLYING GUARDIAN: 16
YOU: 13 (they hit again! Our stamina is 15)

FLYING GUARDIAN: 11
YOU: 10 (we're hit again, at 13)

FLYING GUARDIAN: 13
YOU: 12 (at 11)

FLYING GUARDIAN: 11
YOU: 8 (we're at 9)

FLYING GUARDIAN: 12
YOU: 14 (we hit again! It's at 4 STAMINA)

YOU: 14 (first dies in one more hit, at 2)

FLYING GUARDIAN: 15
YOU: 11 (we're at 7 STAMINA)

YOU: 17 (we kill the first one!)
First defeated. Our current STAMINA: 7
Guardian: 13
You: 12 (we're at 5 now)

Guardian: 14
You: 8 (at 3)

Guardian: 16
You: 8 (at 1)

Guardian: 12
You: 10 (we're dead.)
We put up a valiant fight against the Flying Guardians, even managing to kill one, but fighting both in such a precarious position in our weakened state from the cursed bell proves to be too much for us, and we collapse.

(Checking the polls, there's a slight lead in continuing where we last left off. In that case I say we pop 3 meals to heal damage from the first Guardian (which I would've done if I thought you could do that, but since it's a split second between fights I'm sure you can't) and fight the 2nd guy again at full STAMINA. If you don't like that then just tell me. I'm also going to Test your Luck on it whenever we hit for this fight.)

But wait? What's this? You roll around, pop some jellied eels in your mouth like Popeye and spinach, and get back up and fight the 2nd bird.
Guardian: 10
You: 8 (-2 ST, at 17)

Guardian: 14
You: 12 (-2 ST, at 15)

Guardian: 17
You: 14 (at 13)

Guardian: 13
You: 15 (we wounded it! Test Luck: 7. Successful! We deal 4 damage. It's at 4)

Guardian: 12
You: 12 (tie)

Guardian: 15
You: 9 (-2 ST, at 11)

Guardian: 17
You: 13 (-2 ST, at 9)

Guardian: 15
You: 16 (Test Your Luck: 8. Lucky again! it's dead.)
You look down and see the crumpled bodies of the Flying Guardians lying motionless on the floor. You start to prise out the idol's emerald eye with the tip of your sword. At last it comes free, and you are surprised by its weight. Hoping that it might be of use later, you put it in your backpack.

Do you want to prise out the right eye or would you rather climb down the idol?

(Also, do you want to inhale some more food? We're low on health again.)

SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 9/19
LUCK 7/12
Gems: Emerald
Provisions: 5 Meals (+4 STAMINA each)
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Eat 2 meals first. Then get that other eye; we've already defeated whatever was here to guard the thing.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

OK, we pop 2 meals (Stamina is now 17.)

You try to force the point of your sword under the emerald eye. Much to your surprise, it shatters on contact, releasing a jet of poisonous gas straight into your face. The gas knocks you out and you fall backwards, bouncing down the idol to land on the stone floor. Your adventure ends here.

(Yes, really. After all that. Poll is to carry on, and so carry on we shall.)

Apparently the shock of the fall wakes you up, but the soft cushy bodies of the Winged Guardians absorbed much of the damage, or something.

(Again, if people tire of this just tell me.)

You lower yourself carefully down the idol and, wasting no more time in the cavern, run forward to the tunnel in the northern wall.

Not much farther down the tunnel you come to a closed door on your left. Putting your ear to the door, you listen intently, but hear nothing.

Do you wish to open the door or keep heading north?

SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 17/19
LUCK 7/12
Provisions: 3 Meals (+4 STAMINA each)
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Fudge, this dungeon is brutal. North?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(It is well known for being exactly that, even in a series known for instant deaths. Part of the reason I offered so many different ways of handling death in the poll.)
The tunnel twists and turns but keeps steadily heading north. Ahead you see a thin shaft of blue light streaming down from the ceiling to the floor. It sparkles and shimmers, and you can see images of laughing faces in the light.

Do you want to walk through the light or walk around it?

SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 17/19
LUCK 7/12
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Anything happy in the Death trap Dungeon can't be trusted. I vote walk around.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Darth adapted this book for a D&D campaign once. I don't remember much of what happend (since we de-railed the game at every chance we got), but I do remember the Shaft o' Faces was pretty bad. I think.

Either way, I also vote around.
Half asleep upon my knee
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Fuck faces. Fuck life.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(OK, three votes for avoiding the faces.)

You come to an arched doorway set in the right-hand wall of the tunnel. The heavy stone door is closed, but there is an iron latch and a round handle.

Do you wish to try the door or continue along the tunnel?
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Bash the door's skull in!
Half asleep upon my knee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Lifting the latch and pushing the heavy stone door open, you find yourself in a large cavern. The light is dim and murky, but as your eyes begin to adjust, you see that the walls are covered in green algae and running with moisture. The floor is strewn with straw. The atmosphere is warm, damp, and fetid, and a soft humming sound fills the air. You step gingerly through the straw towards a corner of the cavern, where there appears to be a shallow pit. Peering warily into the pit, you are disgusted to see a mass of pale writhing worms, some as much as half a meter long. Utterly nauseated, you are about to turn away when you notice that their undulating bodies are swarming round a dagger, its point held fast in the crack of the pit floor. The hilt is cased in black leather studded with opals, and the blade is fashioned from a strange reddish-black material you have never seen before. You long to touch it, but this would mean plunging your hand in among the writhing worms.

Do you reach for the dagger or back away in disgust and leave the cavern?
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Sure, try the door. What's the worst that could happen :D
Simplified Tome Armor.

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(shit, posted right before you did. Oh well, you did want to do the same. I'll take this moment to note our character so far)

Errol Flynn, as portrayed by Cary Elwes (the name Shrapnel has suggested and no one has objected to.)
SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 17/19
LUCK 7/12
Running total of deaths: 2