Presented for your evisceration: Morale

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Yahzi
1st Level

Presented for your evisceration: Morale

Post by Yahzi »

Morale
“You come across a hobgoblin hunting party. They attack!... (three rounds later)… Ok, the last of the hobgoblins fearlessly throws himself into the whirling blades of your fighter, hoping to score a few hit-points of damage that might carry over into the next encounter.”

Or… not.

When losing any encounter (and Team Monster always loses), there should be a point at which the enemy gives up, runs away, or surrenders. The Morale system is intended to establish that point.

Morale Score
Every group of creatures encountered has a morale score. If that score is negative, then the unit will stop trying to win, and start trying to survive. At various points in the encounter, the group will make a Morale check, which may result in their running away, or might even result in their fighting harder.

Calculating Morale
First, add up all the Base morale modifiers. These indicate the history and current status of the group.

Next, add up all the Circumstance modifiers. These numbers can change during the battle, as various things happen.

If you like to roll a lot, you can make a base morale roll at the beginning of each encounter. Or you can just “take 10,” and assume a starting morale roll of 10.

Checking Morale
When a group is forced to check morale, roll a D20, add all the current modifiers, and compare it to the Morale Condition table.

The most common way to provoke a morale check during combat is by inflicting casualties. Other events can also provoke an immediate morale check, such as the sudden arrival of reinforcements, a nasty surprise, or a successful Intimidate check.

Make morale checks when…
  • The group has suffered 25% casualties (dead or incapacitated).
    The group has suffered 50% casualties.
    The group has suffered 75% casualties.
    Dramatic change of circumstance (reinforcements, surprise use of magic, etc.).
    Successful Intimidate check (but only once per encounter).
    A Leader chooses to Rally his troops (note that each Rally after the first incurs a cumulative -2 to the roll).

A Leader may choose to rally at any time (including before the battle begins, if he didn’t like his original morale score). This is a full-round action, and requires the leader to be plainly visible and audible to the troops being rallied. However, each additional rally attempt for the entire battle is at a cumulative -2 penalty. It is not inconceivable for a leader to exhort his troops so long and so badly that they break and run before the first blow is exchanged.

Applying Morale
The Condition table describes the effects of any given Morale score. For example, a group has to have a morale score of 5 or more before it can use the “Charge” maneuver. Once morale goes negative, it normally ends the encounter.

Morale Condition Table
Condition Score Effect
Inspired +30 (+1 to all rolls) This effect lasts until the next morale check.
Eager +20 May all-out attack.
Firm +15 May charge.
Steady 0 May not charge or all-out attack.
Shaken -1 (-2 to all rolls) Individuals not taking damage will hold their position. Individuals currently taking damage will retreat in orderly fashion if possible. Individuals ordered to advance must pass an additional morale check.
Frightened -5 (-2 to all rolls, -5 to Morale checks) The group flees, breaking formation and moving at full speed away from any danger. If retreat is not possible, they will cower, remaining still and not attacking. If offered surrender in exchange for survival, they will accept.
Panicked -10 (-2 to all rolls) Individuals flee in mindless terror, dropping anything they are carrying. If retreat is not possible, they will surrender without terms. No more morale checks are possible.

Base Morale Modifiers

Pay
½ pay or less -2
Normal 0
Double +1
Booty +2
Booty means that 25% of all loot (including XP) is distributed amongst the troops. It also applies if the attacking creatures can expect to loot or otherwise profit from the death of the PCs.

Training
No training (conscripts) -2
Ordinary soldiers 0
Elite soldiers +1
Class levels +1 per level
Wisdom ability bonus As bonus

Formation
Skirmish +0
Line +1
Phalanx +2

Healing
None -1
Doctors 0
Cure spells +1
Raise Dead +5
Healing bonuses only apply to those troops who are certain to receive them. One doctor (Heal skill: +5) is sufficient to inspire 100 men. A Cleric or Druid can inspire 10 men per level with Cure spells. Normally only Very Important People (like PCs) are certain to be Raised and are thus eligible for this bonus.

Alignment
NE -2
CE -2 on defense, +2 on attack
LE Double penalty or bonus for pay
CG Double CHA penalty or bonus (maximum of +-2)
LG +2
NG +2 on defense, -2 on attack
CN -4 (but don’t care about leader’s alignment)
LN +1 (but don’t care about leader’s alignment)
Different Additional -1 per step away from the Leader’s alignment

Leader attributes
Feats
Leadership +5
Charisma
Popularity CHA CHA modifier (+ or -)
Established +1 A noble or established member of the ruling class
Brave +1 Seen on the front lines frequently, STR or CON 14+
Smart +1 Regular drills, advanced planning, INT 14+
Competent +1 Effective discipline, efficient command, WIS 14+
Lucky +1 Has won the last three battles
Mercenary -1 No social connection, troops fight for pay only
Cowardly -1 Rarely exposes self to danger (or STR & CON 10 or less)
Stupid -1 Indifferent to planning or organization (or INT 10 or less)
Negligent -1 Lax or unpredictable discipline (or WIS 10 or less)
Unlucky -1 Has lost the last battle
Apply all appropriate modifiers, not just best or worst one.

Circumstance Morale Modifiers

Casualties
None +0
25% -10
50% -15
75% -20

Odds
Outnumbered -1
Outflanked -2
Out-equipped -3
Outmagicked -4
Hopelessly outclassed -5
Superior numbers +1
Superior magic +1
Only apply the worst negative modifier.

Circumstances
Currently Shaken -2
Currently Frightened -5
Higher-level units are retreating -5
Fortified position Morale bonus equal to the AC bonus
No retreat is possible +5
Defending their homes +5
Apply all appropriate modifiers.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Re: Presented for your evisceration: Morale

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Why not just have enemies act according to their inclination and intelligence?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

I really, really don't like the alignment adjustments. You're personal view of the order of the universe and whether you like formal contracts or random baby-killing doesn't make you brave or cowardly. Even in groups.

Other things. If the leader or champion suddenly loses his head, sprouts a feathered headpiece or is burnt to fvcking ash, the group should take a penalty or check, particularly if they had a mob mentality in the first place. Hobgobs might not bolt under that kind of circumstance, but goblins almost certainly will.

Racial nature should work in quite a bit too. 'Corwardly' races are going to have issues, unless of course, you're intentionally playing against stereotype.

But yeah, personally, I'd rather wing this as appropriate.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Wait, with this system even mindless undead, constructs, and oozes will run away.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Goddamn, I forgot to pay the soldiers again. Now they won't charge :(

Also hahaha you can choose to share your XP with the henchmen, and the intangibility of it all makes them more likely to charge.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

why does a 2nd level mook with the heal skill inspire 10x as many men as a cleric or druid? Because, seriously... magical healing kicks mundane healing's ass and shits all over its face.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I don't understand any of the numbers you're using, though the check points seem appropriate.

...I'm not sure morale rule need to say 'mindless creatures don't have morale' because it's kinda obvious?

-Crissa
Yahzi
1st Level

Post by Yahzi »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:Why not just have enemies act according to their inclination and intelligence?

Because the GM doesn't always know their inclinations?

It's not for BBEGs, just for the NPCs that are employed by the BBEG. Some of them are going to be on-task, and some of them are going to be less enthusiastic. It's a bit much to ask the GM to personally interview all those NPCs and find out how they're feeling today. ;)

Also, this system is meant to do double-duty: for encounters, and for units on the battlefield.

Voss wrote:You're personal view of the order of the universe and whether you like formal contracts or random baby-killing doesn't make you brave or cowardly. Even in groups.

It probably has an effect on how much you trust and desire to remain a part of a group, though. And that has an effect on how likely you are to stick around when the going gets sticky.

That said, I mostly included them because they're so traditional. :D

Voss wrote:If the leader or champion suddenly loses his head,

Voss wrote:Racial nature should work in quite a bit too.

Leress wrote:Wait, with this system even mindless undead, constructs, and oozes will run away.

Excellent points. I should include some mention of those things.

Races could be fun: Elves, for instance, could have a +1 in forests, etc. Pursuant to that... what do you guys consider the "canonical" races?

Goddamn, I forgot to pay the soldiers again. Now they won't charge

Well, actually... ya.

Also hahaha you can choose to share your XP with the henchmen, and the intangibility of it all makes them more likely to charge.

Ok, that is a little bit specific to my campaign world.

I'd rather wing this as appropriate.

Of course, but Morale Condition Table and the typical modifiers are supposed to be helpful for winging it.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1198309229[/unixtime]]
...I'm not sure morale rule need to say 'mindless creatures don't have morale' because it's kinda obvious?

-Crissa

It is my opinion that if it's something that's obvious, then it's inexcusable to NOT have it in the rules.

At least, that is my opinion. I know gamers, and they're not the smartest people on the planet, for the most part. (I've known some exceptionally intelligent gamers, that that doesn't mean that they're outnumbered by dumbasses a billion to one.)
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Thank god the henchmen will still bull rush, trip and grapple even though I forgot to pay them.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

As guidelines to help the GM wing it (help you not to forget things) - a good idea.

As hard-and-fast rules for battle-scale combat game - also a good idea, but need a lot more discussion on the exact effects and numbers.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yahzi at [unixtime wrote:1198387993[/unixtime]]
Goddamn, I forgot to pay the soldiers again. Now they won't charge

Well, actually... ya.

Except that soldiers throughout history have operated and operated well on short or delinquent pay for years at a time.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

They operated 'well'?

Or they merely had other motivations (bonuses) that outweighed the negatives of no pay.

-Crissa
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1198540627[/unixtime]]They operated 'well'?

Or they merely had other motivations (bonuses) that outweighed the negatives of no pay.

-Crissa

A lot of it has to do that soldiers were mostly not allowed to go out and spend their money while they were in service. Even if you got paid, almost the only thing there was to do with it was gamble. So most of the time, pay wasn't a factor until after the war was over anyway.

In any event, army pay was always chicken feed. The real pay was in looting the defeated enemy.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I thought looting off enemy soldiers was illegal in real life?

Or is that one of those things that's technically illegal, but no one really says anything if you do it.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1198551538[/unixtime]]I thought looting off enemy soldiers was illegal in real life?

Or is that one of those things that's technically illegal, but no one really says anything if you do it.

Nowadays, captured equipment is usually remitted to the army, but that only goes back about a hundred years or so when modern nationalism was really starting to get traction. For the longest time before that, people went to war with no other reward offered than the right to strip the carcasses of anyone they killed (and rob houses at random if a settlement was taken). It's the origin of the knightly tradition where if you lost in the mock combat of the joust, the winner got your horse and armor; but lower-class soldiers would also make off with the weapons, boots, and teeth of the vanquished for personal use or sale. If an army was well-organized, the loot would be piled up and divided into shares; if not, things got a lot rowdier.

The loot of the defeated is classically called 'spoils,' as in 'spoils of war.'
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

'spoils' is a more than equal substitute for pay. However, you do not always have to give them the spoils.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

...And they'll only go so far toward spoils. Mutinies have happened on 'spoils' paychecks many a time.

-Crissa
Yahzi
1st Level

Post by Yahzi »

Crissa wrote:...And they'll only go so far toward spoils. Mutinies have happened on 'spoils' paychecks many a time.

When you have more loot and less power than the enemy... your army tends to think of you as "an oppourtunity."

Which is why Machievelli argued against mercenaries.

:D
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

King henry at agincourt, you where banned from looting except with permission, and a percentage of values (66% for a common archer) had to be turned over to higher command particularly on ransom.

But he let everyone take, say, all the armour they could carry then set the rest on fire.

As to the soldiers not being paid thing, soldiers through out history have been paid massively late and kept fighting, but they have also munitied and then set high command on fire.

One of wellingtons great advances in the napelonic wars (aside from managing logistics at all) was to pay both his soldiers and the locals they where taking food from promptly and in full (ish) and they was highly regarded by both soldiers and the locals - clearly means something. Disclaimer: I think Wellington was a better general than Napoleon.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Wellington's advantage was being on foreign (ish) soil with external currency backing.

Napoleon wouldn't have needed to be a general against Wellington had the kings of Europe not decided to depose the reinstated emperor.

-Crissa