DomIII: Cosmic Team-Up

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

DomIII: Cosmic Team-Up

Post by Ancient History »

For ease-of-use, moved stuff to the first post. Here are the teams:

Team 2:[/u] Dreaming Stones
FrankTrollman (Agartha) (6 VP)
Archmage (R'lyeh) (7 VP)

Team 3:[/u] The Triple Alliance
Ancient History (Atlantis) (4 VP)
angelfromanotherpin (T'ien Ch'i) (3 VP)
Foly (Caelum) (3 VP)

The name of the game is "CosmicDoubles" and the game page is here:
http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi ... micDoubles

[/edit]Stalling is no fun, and there's never any guarantee that I'll be around to do an extension. So we're going to be adults about this: if you need an extension, the password is "ancient1" - please post an announcement to the thread if you're going to do an extension, and don't change the password/muck with the game. Thanks!

We're using one of Frank's old maps:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showpost.php?p=795451

This is basic, no-mods Late Age game with default settings on everything. There are 25 VPs scattered around the map, including capital sites, and your team needs between you 20 to win (there isn't a teams setting for scoring, so we'll just declare a victor when that happens). I'll keep a running total on the first post.
Last edited by Ancient History on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Late Age certainly has some interesting teams available to it. I'd be up for that. My suggestion would be to have the teams assigned randomly - and if your ally is Ermor and you're already a death nation then that is too bad.

My top faction choices are:
  • Argartha
  • Atlantis
  • Tien Chi
-Username17
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Actually, I've been feeling like it would be fun to run some games more inspired by lore, or themes. I had imagined free-for-all, but maybe something with teams. A Mediterranean game with Arco, Pangaea, Ctis, Ermor, and Pythium. A Pan-Asian game with T'ien Ch'i, Jomon, Patala, Atlantis.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Hm, I suspect what skillz I ever had have gone to rust, but count me in.

• Tien Chi
• Caelum
• Arcoscephale
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Orion: Maybe next game can be a theme game.

My current top three are:
• Atlantis
• Man
• Abysia

We'll sort out a map when we get an idea of how many players we have - we need at least four for a proper doubles, but let's give it a couple days to see who else is interested.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

My friend from the Shinuyama thread expressed some interest. We'd ideally like to enter as a team, if possible. I know Frank proposed random pairings to prevent coordinated picks, but maybe Foly and I could go with random picks instead? We could each put in three nations we'd willingly play and have Ancient assign them at random. I'm thinking:

Mictlan
Midgard
C'tis
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I don't have a problem with that, unless anyone else does. That's five, so if we get at least one more that'll give us three teams.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

If we don't, Foly will drop and we'll roll with 4.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Well, I'd like at least three teams, but let's give it the weekend to see if we pick up more players, otherwise we'll go with 4. Meantime, assuming we have 4-6 players, anyone want to suggest a map?
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

I'm not especially good and haven't touched Dom3 in months, but reading Orion's thread rekindled my interest in the game. If you want a sixth I'll play.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Nice. That would give us three teams. List your top three and we'll start hunting for a map.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

Am I correctly assuming R'yleh and Ermor are banned?

If not,
R'yleh
Midgard
Mictlan
Bogarus (3rd choice if no R'lyeh or an underwater nation is deemed a bad fit for the game)
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I'm not going to ban them, though I imagine Ermor would be a hard one to partner with.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

I can be convinced to strike R'lyeh from the list if nobody wants a teammate with popkilling insanity dominion.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I don't know, it might have legs with if allied with Atlantis - LA Atlantis does well out of water in amphibious assault, and LA R'lyeh does well with long-range astral and teleport attacks. With coordination, R'lyeh could have the oceans and Atlantis the coasts, and slowly make their way to domination of the world, maybe culminating with Burden of Time in the late game.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Your allies don't have to have the same kinds of scales as you do. You are in the same pantheon, but you actually have non-overlapping territory. If someone wants to be Ashen Fields or Dreamlands, they can just do that.

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

If we end up with two water nations, I'm thinking this map: http://dom3maps.wikidot.com/system:pangaea
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Rlyeh brings a lot to the table as a teammate, like easy ring of wizardry and the ability to hold water provinces. I don't think collaborating would be too difficult, especially if teamed with a blood sacrifice nation who can defend their borders that way.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Okay, since we have six players and no-one's commented on the map, I've set up the game on llamaserver.

[/edited]

Sound good? Well, get your pretenders in!
Last edited by Ancient History on Wed May 15, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Agartha Pretender is in.

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Atlantis Pretender is in.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Ancient,

Mictlan/C'tis/Midgard was my personal list of 3; I actually don't know who Foly wants to or knows how to play. I'm trying to track him down now.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Whatever, as long as it isn't someone else's. You can walk Foley through submitting pretenders and turns to Llamaserver, ja?
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

He's played 3 games on the Llamaserver already.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I tracked him down, but he was falling asleep. Says he can make his pretender tomorrow. Before he conked out he expressed interest in Caelum, and to a lesser extent C'Tis and Patala. We'll see how he feels in the morning. Meanwhile I'm going to go ahead and upload my Mictlan.