How do we get rid of the Fighter

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Ancient History wrote:Point of Order: Conan was a thief.
Point of Order, Conan was a 2nd edition 6th level Fighter, 6th level thief, 3rd level ranger.

He's supposed to have full bab, and lots of hp. Neither of which is true of thieves.

Sinbad is a fucking thief.
Conan.. is a great weapon ranger with no spells.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

So this thing again (Mundane and Magic)
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=53652

Official thread for non-flashy Fighter
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=49574

The reason why Fighters will never have nice things
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=51703

TTRPGs should punish people who play DMFs.
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=53654
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Drolyt
Knight

Post by Drolyt »

sabs wrote:
Ancient History wrote:Point of Order: Conan was a thief.
Point of Order, Conan was a 2nd edition 6th level Fighter, 6th level thief, 3rd level ranger.

He's supposed to have full bab, and lots of hp. Neither of which is true of thieves.

Sinbad is a fucking thief.
Conan.. is a great weapon ranger with no spells.
That there is no class that represents Conan is half the problem, but he is sure as hell not a fighter or that godawful barbarian class that is supposedly based on him. He definitely has some thieving skills, some knowledge skills, decipher script and several ranks of speak language, climb/jump/swim, and tactics/strategy/leadership skills. He is ridiculously tough, though still within the range of an action hero, and yes, he can fight.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Don't forget the pile of plot devices he needed every time he fought a wizard or demon.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

I don't think Conan should be represented as just one class. His activities are varied enough that any one label doesn't fit him. Unless you want mundanes to have access to ridiculously broad classes, but that only delays obsolescence.

Besides grognards don't really want to be Conan. Conan goes obsolete before level 10, they want to stay at the big boy table through level 20. What they want is completely incompatible with characters in the league of 3.5 spellcasters. So you can either make a game that severely gimps spellcasters (Skyrim, Dark Souls) so they don't overshadow mundanes or you make everyone fantastical. I don't think there is a workable middle ground that will make both optimizers and grognards happy.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Conan's Class is Conan the Cimmerian. It has the Following Prerequisites -
Skills: 9 ranks in Use Rope
Race: Must be Human
Region: Must be from Cimmeria
Special: Name must be Conan
Drolyt
Knight

Post by Drolyt »

Juton wrote:I don't think Conan should be represented as just one class. His activities are varied enough that any one label doesn't fit him. Unless you want mundanes to have access to ridiculously broad classes, but that only delays obsolescence.
Delaying obsolescence is better than leaving things as they are. At any rate most of what Conan does can be represented by the rogue, he just needs a dip in a martial class.
Besides grognards don't really want to be Conan. Conan goes obsolete before level 10, they want to stay at the big boy table through level 20. What they want is completely incompatible with characters in the league of 3.5 spellcasters. So you can either make a game that severely gimps spellcasters (Skyrim, Dark Souls) so they don't overshadow mundanes or you make everyone fantastical. I don't think there is a workable middle ground that will make both optimizers and grognards happy.
I'm not sure it is quite correct to say Conan goes obsolete before level 10. Conan isn't a class, he is a character, and whatever class (or mix of classes) he happens to take should be extensible as far as the system is intended to go, or else they should literally stop at a certain point and tell you to take a prestige class. As for the idea that Conan's (or any mundane hero's) concept just doesn't support that, I don't think that is true. Conan is limited by the fact that the Hyborean age is simply a mythical past, rather than an otherworld, and without magic there are limits to what you can do. If you were to drop Conan into Greyhawk he would notice that the rules of reality have themselves changed, and it is not unreasonable that he would start accumulating some real power, perhaps even spellcasting.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Drolyt wrote:I'm not sure it is quite correct to say Conan goes obsolete before level 10. Conan isn't a class, he is a character, and whatever class (or mix of classes) he happens to take should be extensible as far as the system is intended to go, or else they should literally stop at a certain point and tell you to take a prestige class. As for the idea that Conan's (or any mundane hero's) concept just doesn't support that, I don't think that is true. Conan is limited by the fact that the Hyborean age is simply a mythical past, rather than an otherworld, and without magic there are limits to what you can do. If you were to drop Conan into Greyhawk he would notice that the rules of reality have themselves changed, and it is not unreasonable that he would start accumulating some real power, perhaps even spellcasting.
I don't think I'm buying that. For instance you could have Conan pick up a few levels in Warblade. That extends his usefulness but I'm not sure it makes him viable for higher level play unless you use questionable rules calls on things like IHS. That stays fairly close to his character concept.

But to give Conan honest to goodness casting changes his concept enough that he wouldn't be recognizable as the same character. Do you make him studious (Wizard), devout (Cleric), contemplative (Druid) or get him possessed by some demon (Sorcerer)? Each one of those potential avenues overshadows his wandering and slaying. It would be a change of character large enough that it would break your suspension of disbelief if you read it in a book.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Juton's signature is really apt here. I think this question has been addressed in twenty different threads by now.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

...You Lost Me wrote:Juton's signature is really apt here. I think this question has been addressed in twenty different threads by now.
In theory this thread should be different, at this point we are assuming that the Fighters are terrible as step one. Step two is getting the rest of playerbase to stop demanding something that ultimately makes the game worse for everyone.

The fighter is not even a 5-level concept, because to stay competitive as a mundane you have to start hoovering up an increasing number of mundane shticks. That's because characters need to grow horizontally as well as vertically. That is not a problem to guys that have superpowers, that is only a problem for Rogues after muggles are going obsolete anyway, the fighter is the one with the problem because it fails as a concept at level 3
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

...You Lost Me wrote:Juton's signature is really apt here. I think this question has been addressed in twenty different threads by now.
Agreed.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

This thread is now about the other party members quietly getting together in the tavern and asking each other this question.

"How do we get rid of the Fighter?" the Rogue asks, "He's fucking useless. I can't count the resources I've wasted on saving his ass, resources that could be better spent on hookers and blow."
"Easy," the Cleric says with a shrug, "next fight I don't heal him. He dies on the spot."
The Wizard shakes his head. "Haven't you noticed? He gets hurt incidentally, but enemies rarely bother attacking him, because he's such a waste of space. They just let him flail away like that."
"Can't you just make him die with a spell?" the Rogue asks.
"We can all do that. I assumed this question was about a moral, legal or savoury option."
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

"Forget" to cast fly on him before assaulting the Cloud castle.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Warblade doesn't help the core problem with sword-based characters. None of what's in the Book of Nine Swords. Oh, sure, it's a modest improvement when viewed for what it is, but even its most generous interpretation promotes a viewpoint of sword-based characters that's not only profoundly unhelpful but I think actually sets the game back -- rather than people seeing the mid-level martial character for the massive pile of fail that it is, Bo9S provides just enough surface plausibility that it enables people not to take a good long look at why the Fighter and his dumbass friends really does suck.

At this point, I'm about ready to claim that the existence Bo9S was actually more harmful to D&D than printing a book that was nothing but pictures of SKR's kitty cat.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Lago: there's IHS. The most generousretarded reading lets you ignorepermanently end time, gravity and similar conditions. When there's no gravity, the fighter can suddenly reach flying enemies as flight means nothing. And any effect with a duration suddenly becomes "???" if time falls wanking to the floor.

Were it worded as some kind of purely mental action that you can even use when mind controlled into not wanting to (ie the player chooses to use it, not the character), then it'd actually do the thing it's supposed to where the fighter recovers from petrification, mind control and similar.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:At this point, I'm about ready to claim that the existence Bo9S was actually more harmful to D&D than printing a book that was nothing but pictures of SKR's kitty cat.
I think what Bo9S attempted was good, what it actually accomplish is a little less stellar. We had 3.5 devs actually try and address martial/caster imbalance, they did so by think up 3 new mechanics, 2 of which are pretty good. The larger problem is that the devs didn't really understand the dimensions of the problem, just that there was a problem.

One thing to remember in these discussions is that for a lot of 3.5 players class balance is not an issue. Either they never reach a level where it becomes an issue, their casters are poorly played or the MC stealth buffs the weaker characters. For some people their fighter PCs are literally more powerful than their wizard PCs, they can understand the fighter's options and to them casting magic missile is more intuitive than colour spray.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Couple things

Post by Midnight_v »

Couple things:

1. I don't think you can get rid of it. Its too mired in what people want, maybe in the collective unconscious or noosphere or whatever, but the idea of the guy with a sword (or in somecases a gun) overcoming all odds has a lot of resonance with people.
Of course you can say "Fuck them" and they'll say "Fuck you too" and the fighter will stay right where it is.

2. Tob, Tome Melee, Demi-gods good melee guys, things "of the such". . .
Mostly cause of what Lago was saying, I was remembering that a lot of people really don't find "Lets make the swordsman relevant to be an acceptable answer either. Which is weird, because, if the TOB handed out melee powers equal to magic it seems like some people (and I mean people here who know better not the "I hate this anime shit" crowd) would still be unhappy with it.

Fuck, 3 things....
3. Paladins, Zerkers, and knights of X, have a dare I say "Powersource" that a group of people will reject outright. Way too many people want to play a Human being with no real reliance on any outside source to be awesome, relying instead on catchphrases like Grit, and Badassery, and the such to win the story.
I suspect they mean things like PLot devices/armor, when they say it about movies, because in ALL of those stories... Conan and people of the such has never had to kill a D&D wizard. We don't have stories like that because, in our legends D&D wizard would be what they'd call "gods".
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Juton wrote:I think what Bo9S attempted was good, what it actually accomplish is a little less stellar. We had 3.5 devs actually try and address martial/caster imbalance, they did so by think up 3 new mechanics, 2 of which are pretty good. The larger problem is that the devs didn't really understand the dimensions of the problem, just that there was a problem.
If that was the only ramification of the book, it'd be a net positive. But look at the post right below yours.
Midnight_v wrote:Which is weird, because, if the TOB handed out melee powers equal to magic it seems like some people (and I mean people here who know better not the "I hate this anime shit" crowd) would still be unhappy with it.
Posts like that make me think that the Bo9S has erroneously convinced people that the problem with sword-based characters (not the fighter, sword-based characters in general) is that their narrowly-focused fighting powers don't kick enough ass. Not that the problem isn't that supernatural sword powers becomes an increasingly inappropriate way to advance the plot as the game goes on, but because the numbers weren't configured right and with a little more sneaking of some Sword-based flight here and some sneaking of some Sword-based improved saving throws there everything would be hunky dory.

That mentality is why I think the Bo9S was a net harm to the game. It encourages peoples' uselessness addiction by tempting them to go chaining after rainbows.

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

It's rather akin to how some people will tell you with a straight face that Fighters are versatile because they can fight with different styles of fighting.
bears fall, everyone dies
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I find it kinda funny when people cry about how much their Fighter sucks, but then refuse to take any options that fix it, regardless of flavor.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

icyshadowlord wrote:I find it kinda funny when people cry about how much their Fighter sucks, but then refuse to take any options that fix it, regardless of flavor.
I think the problem is that those are different people. I hate fighters, my solution is to not allow fighters and to not make fighters.

But obviously, other people whine like bitches at the thought of fighters not existing. And then various people want to accommodate me and other people to different degrees.

So the problem is not that the people who hate fighters are unwilling to introduce fixes, it is that people who want to introduce fixes are (foolishly) trying to accommodate people who are anti change, and therefore reject changes they believe will exclude a large part of the audience.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
lans
NPC

Post by lans »

Whipstitch wrote:It's rather akin to how some people will tell you with a straight face that Fighters are versatile because they can fight with different styles of fighting.
If they got different styles of fighting with abilities that have non combat based maybe.

Like your ability to judge a persons position and body language lets you know when somebody is lying, your superb archery skills lets you notice subtle changes in the wind caused by the presence of an invisible creature. '

Your 3 musketeers rope fighting lets you throw a grappling hook.

Probably something to do with attack dogs 0r hydras or something

But a lot of the problems is that the fighter is a placeholder for everymundane concept and a really bad one
Last edited by lans on Thu May 23, 2013 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drolyt
Knight

Post by Drolyt »

Juton wrote:
Drolyt wrote:I'm not sure it is quite correct to say Conan goes obsolete before level 10. Conan isn't a class, he is a character, and whatever class (or mix of classes) he happens to take should be extensible as far as the system is intended to go, or else they should literally stop at a certain point and tell you to take a prestige class. As for the idea that Conan's (or any mundane hero's) concept just doesn't support that, I don't think that is true. Conan is limited by the fact that the Hyborean age is simply a mythical past, rather than an otherworld, and without magic there are limits to what you can do. If you were to drop Conan into Greyhawk he would notice that the rules of reality have themselves changed, and it is not unreasonable that he would start accumulating some real power, perhaps even spellcasting.
I don't think I'm buying that. For instance you could have Conan pick up a few levels in Warblade. That extends his usefulness but I'm not sure it makes him viable for higher level play unless you use questionable rules calls on things like IHS. That stays fairly close to his character concept.

But to give Conan honest to goodness casting changes his concept enough that he wouldn't be recognizable as the same character. Do you make him studious (Wizard), devout (Cleric), contemplative (Druid) or get him possessed by some demon (Sorcerer)? Each one of those potential avenues overshadows his wandering and slaying. It would be a change of character large enough that it would break your suspension of disbelief if you read it in a book.
I didn't say he'd become a full caster. My issue is that just because he is normal in his own setting, which is a mostly mundane setting where magic is much rarer and less powerful than in D&D, it doesn't make terrible sense for him to remain completely mundane if he were to be dropped into the Forgotten Realms. It would be like dropping him into a modern setting and having him eschew guns, it doesn't make sense.

I think this ties into another rant I've been thinking on for a while, and which I won't give in full here, but the basic idea is that D&D needs to stop treating magic apart from nature. Because it isn't, not in the old legends. Only in the past century have we got this idea that in fantasy things work exactly like the real world, except when a guy in a robe and a pointy hat waves his arms around. Tolkien made a point in On Fairy Stories that humans are in fact more supernatural than all sorts of magical creatures like dragons and the aos si because those creatures are completely natural in their own setting. If you really think about it, it isn't at all reasonable that a wizard can cast a spell that gives super strength, but a fighter can't just have super strength, because clearly in this setting the laws of physics preventing super strength don't apply to begin with. I blame the stupid "magic as technology" metaphor.
Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Midnight_v wrote:Which is weird, because, if the TOB handed out melee powers equal to magic it seems like some people (and I mean people here who know better not the "I hate this anime shit" crowd) would still be unhappy with it.
Posts like that make me think that the Bo9S has erroneously convinced people that the problem with sword-based characters (not the fighter, sword-based characters in general) is that their narrowly-focused fighting powers don't kick enough ass. Not that the problem isn't that supernatural sword powers becomes an increasingly inappropriate way to advance the plot as the game goes on, but because the numbers weren't configured right and with a little more sneaking of some Sword-based flight here and some sneaking of some Sword-based improved saving throws there everything would be hunky dory.

That mentality is why I think the Bo9S was a net harm to the game. It encourages peoples' uselessness addiction by tempting them to go chaining after rainbows.
To be fair, I think a lot of people are fine with games where the casters do all the out of combat stuff as long as the martials contribute in combat, and ToB totally allows them to do that, at least if the casters aren't too optimized. More generally there are a lot of people who don't want to play a character who magics away all their problems, even at high levels.
Last edited by Drolyt on Thu May 23, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Drolyt wrote:I think this ties into another rant I've been thinking on for a while, and which I won't give in full here, but the basic idea is that D&D needs to stop treating magic apart from nature. Because it isn't, not in the old legends. Only in the past century have we got this idea that in fantasy things work exactly like the real world, except when a guy in a robe and a pointy hat waves his arms around. Tolkien made a point in On Fairy Stories that humans are in fact more supernatural than all sorts of magical creatures like dragons and the aos si because those creatures are completely natural in their own setting. If you really think about it, it isn't at reasonable that a wizard can cast a spell that gives super strength, but a fighter can't just have super strength, because clearly in this setting the laws of physics preventing super strength don't apply to begin with. I blame the stupid "magic as technology" metaphor.
I agree with this. I think this is a good idea and could make for a really good game. Unfortunately I think the majority of grognards, heck even casual D&D players would complain that it doesn't feel like D&D. But you know what? 4e seems like a moderate financial success and it sure as shit didn't feel like D&D. Maybe when it's time for 6e they should just give everyone and everything fantastic powers because that's the world they live in.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Posts like that make me think that the Bo9S has erroneously convinced people that the problem with sword-based characters (not the fighter, sword-based characters in general) is that their narrowly-focused fighting powers don't kick enough ass. Not that the problem isn't that supernatural sword powers becomes an increasingly inappropriate way to advance the plot as the game goes on, but because the numbers weren't configured right and with a little more sneaking of some Sword-based flight here and some sneaking of some Sword-based improved saving throws there everything would be hunky dory.

It took years for my old group to accept that there even was a problem. Bo9S is one of the things that led them to say, hey, my monk character isn't measuring up even though I spent a lot of time and dumpster dived like crazy. That's why I think Bo9S was a good thing.