General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Tokorona
Journeyman

WotC rejects the tyranny of Euclidean Geometery

Post by Tokorona »

Hat tip to Imban for this.

To get the least funny news out of the way-

- Cone effects are gone (Not sure about this)
- HP is no longer rolled (Yay!)

Now for the funny news (to me)
- Moving diagonally is a square only, not 1.5

Now, while this is meant to make movement on a grid easier, it's still funny. I for one, welcome WotC back to the denying geometry fold.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Re: WotC rejects the tyranny of Euclidean Geometery

Post by the_taken »

That is so fvcked up. It's like strafe running in an FPS, but stupider cause it takes the same amount of time to run to the corner of a square room than either of the sidesl. Fvcked up.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

I can deal with the removal of the 1.5 diagonal move. I always though it was pointless anyway and counting the 1.5s got real annoying. The Saga 2x rule was the worst though. I think I can live with 1. Thats easy to work with and in the sense of a game doesnt make much difference Another nice thing is that it means airborne targets just add the elevation to the range, which is much easier than trying to calculate the distance for someone shooting a bow at a flying dragon.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1202598356[/unixtime]]Another nice thing is that it means airborne targets just add the elevation to the range, which is much easier than trying to calculate the distance for someone shooting a bow at a flying dragon.

It means absolutely nothing for hitting airborne targets.

Squares are just plain dumb. If you aren't using a board, they don't exist in any meaningful way. If you are using a board, you can just measure the distance yourself.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

The 1.5 was just annoying, honestly. It was a bad move to retain maps on grids when you could just move to hexes if you want that granularity.

The hypotenuse of a right triangle with sides on the right being equal to one isn't one point five. (It's 1.41)

Besides, it just gets annoying counting the halvesies when you're going around obstacles.

-Crissa
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Hexes are better than squares for diagonal movement only in certain directions. If you're not moving in directions that hexes find efficent, you may as well be using squares. Catharz is right, if you want to use minis, use measuring tape to decide move distance.

-Desdan
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
SphereOfFeetMan
Knight-Baron

Post by SphereOfFeetMan »

Just like 3.5 Power Attack. They gave 2x for two handers instead of 1.5, and no PA for light weaopns instead of .5. They changed it so its easier, but also less balanced. At least this is just as easy to houserule like 3.5 Power Attack was.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
K
King

Post by K »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1202599446[/unixtime]]The 1.5 was just annoying, honestly. It was a bad move to retain maps on grids when you could just move to hexes if you want that granularity.

The hypotenuse of a right triangle with sides on the right being equal to one isn't one point five. (It's 1.41)

Besides, it just gets annoying counting the halvesies when you're going around obstacles.

-Crissa

Yeh, I've always been a hex fan myself.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I've always been a Makai Kingdom fan, without grids of any variety. People threaten a 5' radius circle around them, for instance.

Of course, I also rarely bother with minis or anything and just use the rule of "Whatever".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Tokorona
Journeyman

Post by Tokorona »

Considering me (or Imban) run our D&D games online, it'll only be relevant if we use MapTool or such a like tool.

... but still, I'm just amused.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Big fat squares for the win. (or anything resembling them).

Or at the very least free vector based movement and ranges.

How hard is it to use a fricking measure? Its standard fare in table top miniatures games...
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

I'm cool with squares being 1 movement, as thats how I play it at the moment. I'm not looking for simulationist efficiency from the game. If I cared, I'd get a hex grid and a bit of handwaving.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't see how declaring movement 'changed' has actually changed anything.
Most player's I've met, and I've met a lot, never use grids, and the grognards that do will probably ignore that new rule.

Rolling HP is for idiots. Some insist on doing so only because they feel lucky, that they can get an edge over their fellows, but then bitch and moan when "1" and "2" come up for more than half their levels.
What's even worse is when a DM won't even let a player take average HP for each level; it's a sign of an inexperienced DM chock full of assumptions and you're better off joining a different group or not playing at all.

And cones have always sucked, I hate calculating who gets hit nearest the point of origin. Rather just write "area attack" and it could be an orb, a cone, a spiral, a bunch of squares, anything.. it hits more than one target and that's whats important. Fancy shapes mean bullshit in a dynamic abstract environment.

When I play an RPG, I don't want an algebra session to triangulate trajectories (or was that trigonometry? I barely passed it all anyway)
In fact, I might begin an attempt to redesign how distance is measured in an RPG in a 'fuzzy math' sense, one of relative distances rather than absolute.
For instance, a Close range is worse than a Medium is worse than a Long, and no numbers would be assigned. Encounter distance would be determined within those parameters.
And I know about the Big Squares idea but the concept should be taken to the fullest extent.

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Because grids/hexes are easier than measuring. Honestly. It's really a matter of simplicity.

Normally, I've never actually used a mat at all, until gaming here in the bay. Measured ranged are best for when you're not using minis, but once you are... You need to choose a tolerance of level in the beginning, else you have what is within this mm or no?

The Big Squares is a good idea, but works best with diagonals being equal to 1.

-Crissa
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

If you are going to use squares at all, you should allow people to go from one square to another at a cost of 1 square. It's better geometry.

There isn't any such thing as half a square of movement. There seriously isn't. You move from one square to another and it either costs you one square of movement or it costs you two squares of movement. It can't cost you some fractional square of movement because you don't keep track of fractional squares.

If you count a diagonal as one square then the distance between you and your target is the largest of the distance along the X axis and the distance along the Y axis. If you count a diagonal as two squares then the distance between you and your target is the distance along the X axis plus the distance along the Y axis. In "reality" the distance between you and another point is the square root of the summed squares of the X distance and the Y axis distance. And you know what? That's closer to the first option than the second!.

If the X axis distance is 3 and the Y axis distance is 4, the true distance is five. And if you add the X and Y axis together you get 7 (2 off) and if you just use the larger axal difference you get 4 (1 off).

And if you alternate 1 and 2 for a diagonal, then some characters will end up paying the lower distance and some will end up paying a higher price, and that's even more unbalanced and retarded than the other options.

-Username17
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Taking your example, someone accepting the yoke of Euclidean geometry for their game will get exactly 5 "squares" - what gives?
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Bigode at [unixtime wrote:1202650236[/unixtime]]Taking your example, someone accepting the yoke of Euclidean geometry for their game will get exactly 5 "squares" - what gives?

What, the yoke of actual Euclidean Geometry? The one where such a distance is genuinely calculated as 5? Sure. Bust out the measuring tape and take direct point to point distances. I've played enough war games to be down with that.

But the 3.5 bullshit with its half square notation counts differently depending on how you get there. Two 5' steps followed by a charge and it's 4 squares. A single double move and it eats up 5. And that's not OK. It's weird for the game to consistently report distances as high or low, but inconsistently reporting distances is flat unacceptable.

In 3.5 you can stand outside the threat range of a hill giant, and then take a 5' step in and be adjacent to him - but only if you move in "diagonally." WTF?!

And lest you think that the 1.5 diagonal is somehow "more accurate" - consider the example of an opponent who is 24 squares down the table and 7 squares to your left or right. The absolute true distance is 25.

-Username17
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1202598356[/unixtime]]I can deal with the removal of the 1.5 diagonal move. I always though it was pointless anyway and counting the 1.5s got real annoying. The Saga 2x rule was the worst though. I think I can live with 1. Thats easy to work with and in the sense of a game doesnt make much difference Another nice thing is that it means airborne targets just add the elevation to the range, which is much easier than trying to calculate the distance for someone shooting a bow at a flying dragon.
Actually, since going diagonally is just '1 square' the distance to an object in 3-D will be the greater of the distances in the X, Y and Z directions.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

We use hexes because they make more sense for everything. The 5' step thing across diagonals has always been retarded, even more so in games such as Fire Emblem when moving in a straight line (diagonally) costs you more movement than moving in straight, blocky lines.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

How do hex-grids deal with 3-D?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Fwib at [unixtime wrote:1202658073[/unixtime]]How do hex-grids deal with 3-D?

Same way that square grids do.

Ain't nothing you can do about it, up is 90 degrees from whatever forward you choose.

-Username17
K
King

Post by K »

I'm not busting out tape. Combat takes long enough already even though its lasts 3-6 rounds. Doubling that time by making people measure is not a solution in any situation.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

What are you talking about? It takes the same amount of time to measure out your movement distance than it does to count squares. Hell, less, since you just have to move the ruler a little to try a different path, but you have to count the squares again if you want to with squares.

-Desdan
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
K
King

Post by K »

Desdan_Mervolam at [unixtime wrote:1202676527[/unixtime]]What are you talking about? It takes the same amount of time to measure out your movement distance than it does to count squares. Hell, less, since you just have to move the ruler a little to try a different path, but you have to count the squares again if you want to with squares.

-Desdan

Apparently our experiences differ. Every time I've seen someone try to measure a path with a ruler the game stops while they obscure the board with their ruler and try several paths on top of trying several paths for AoEs.

I just count squares and try paths in my head on someone else's turn. It takes no real time at all.
rapanui
Knight

Post by rapanui »

I like how 95% of the time, this rule change makes no difference to anyone whatsoever. Let's see what has to happen in order for these rules to have an effect on tactical combat:

1. The players have to be using a square battle map instead of hexes, ruler and string, or some variant of Big Squares Method or the Vague Whiteboard Method.

2. A character wants to move diagonally for a distance that is exactly at the edge case of his maximum movement rate.

3. The orientation of the battle grid cannot be rotated to accommodate linear movement.

At this point, I think an insult for WotC would be redundant, so I'll hold my tongue.