[Conan/Call of Cthulhu d20]Shadow over Stygia Recruiting

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm actually kind of interested in this if there's still room. I'm thinking of playing a scholar with a focus on demon pacts but I really need to do some more reading.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Well, currently we've got Whipstich, Korgan0, Kurama314, and OgreBattle. One more and we've got a five man band, so if you want in Prak, you're more than welcome.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cool, I will begin taking a more serious look at the book so I have some idea of what I'm doing.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I found Conan's attributes in one of those books:
Str 25, Dex 21, Con 20, Int 19, Wis 18, Cha 19

I'm thinking that /thief1 will be a popular choice.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Had a sheet about done and power goes out. Fuck everything.
bears fall, everyone dies
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Well, we've got five players. Whenever y'all get your character sheets in, we can start. If anyone needs any help, or has questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, so I have two versions of the Conan book, table of contents looks the same, different covers, one printed 2007, one 2009, which should I use?

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Here's a sheet. He's using noble background skill variant from Argos & Zingara, a Code of Honor from the 2nd Edition corebook and an Akbitanan sword tricked out with crap from The Warrior's Companion. Lemme know 'bout problems. I don't really have a background for him beyond "Is a small-time mercenary who wants to go big time." Edited because I forgot about needing to select a fuck off huge pile of languages.
Isandro de Salduva
Zingaran Noble 2, Soldier 4
Favored classes: Soldier, Pirate, Temptress

17 Str
16 Dex
12 Con
15 Int
11 Wis
18 Cha

Hit Points:57
Fate Points:3
Sanity: 39

Initiative:+4
BAB:+5
Encumbrance: light
Move: 30

Attacks: arming sword, +12 (1d10+5, AP:3 19-20x2)
heavy lance, +8 (1d10+3, AP:6)
crossbow, +7 (2d6, x2, AP:4)
dagger, +8 (1d4+3 19-20x2 AP:3)
scarab shield, +2 (1d6+5, AP:2, x2)

Saves:
will: +6(+9 vs Corruption) ref: +4 fort: +5

Dodge vs Melee: 15 (+2 level,+3 Dex)
Dodge vs Ranged: 17 (+2 level, +3 Dex, +4 large shield)
Parry vs Melee: 30 w/ arming sword (+4 level,+1 Parry feat, +4 Intricate Swordplay, +3 strength, +4 large shield, +1 baskethilt, +2 catching quillions, +1 regional style)
Parry vs Melee: 22 w/ anything else.

Armor Damage Reduction: 7, 8 w/ visor
ACP: -8
Max Dex:+3

Total Reputation: 13 in Stygia or Zingara
Base Reputation:8(CL+3,CHA+3, Code of Honor+2) (Brave, bonus to Bluff & Intimidate)
Social Standing:+5, Zingara, +4 in Stygia (different country, both maritime powers)
Situational Bonus: Profession (Sailor) in Stygia, +1
Code of Honor: Mercenary
Religion: Mitra (Zingaran, syncretic)
Allegiances: Zingara, Free Companies

Skills: Situational bonuses in parentheses
Appraise:+2=Int+2
Balance:+5=Ranks+2, Dex+3, Racial+1
Bluff:+12(+16)=Ranks+8,Cha+4,(Cape+2),(Reputation+2)
Climb:+4=Ranks+1 Str+3
Concentration:0
Crafts:+2=Int+2
Diplomacy:+9=Cha+4,Racial-1,Ranks+4, Synergy+4
Disguise:+6(3)=Cha+5, Synergy +2(Reputation-1)
Escape Artist:+3=Dex+3
Forgery:+2=Int+2
Gather Information:+4=Cha+4
Heal:0
Hide:+3=Dex+3
Intimidate:+14(+17)=Ranks+8,Cha+4,Synergy+2,(Reputation+2,Custom sword+1)
Jump:+5+ranks+2, Ranks+2
Knowledge (nobility):+7=Int+2,Ranks+5
Knowledge (Zingara, local):+4=Int+2,Ranks+2
Listen:0=Wis 0
Move Silently:+3=Dex+3
Prof. (Sailor):+2=Rank +1, Racial +1
Perform:+3=Cha+3
Ride:+6=Dex+3,Ranks+3
Search:+2=Int+2
Sense Motive:+8=Racial+1,Ranks+7
Spot:+7=Ranks+7
Swim:+3=Str+3
Survival:0=Wis 0
Use Rope:+6=Dex,+3, Rank +2, Racial+1

Languages: Zingaran, Argossean, Aquilonian, Pictish, Shemitish, Stygian, Ophirean, Southern Islander, Black Coast

Features & Background Skills:
+2 Charisma, -2 Constitution
Zingaran Background Skills: Bluff, Balance, Knowledge (local), Use Rope
+1 racial bonus to all Sense Motive checks but a -1 racial
penalty to all Diplomacy checks
+1 racial bonus to all Profession (sailor), Balance and Use Rope checks.
+1 racial bonus to all attack rolls made with the broadsword and arming sword.
Martial Weapon Proficiency: Arming sword.
+1d6 Sneak Attack.
Weapon Familiarity: Zingarans can wield greatswords as though they were martial weapons.
Title
Wealth
Regional Style: Zingara

Feats:
Weapon Focus: arming sword
Combat Expertise
Parry
Intricate Swordplay
Improved Feint
Combat Reflexes
Web of Death

Character Wealth: 1845
132 pieces of silver on hand

Worn/Carried:
arming sword w/ basket hilt, catching quillions, intimidating appearance & serrated blade
dagger
mail shirt w/ chainweave
visored helm
serrated scarab shield
crossbow & 10 bolts
noble's doublet
noble's hose
noble's shirt & braes
noble's hood
knight's belt
riding boots
duellist cape
belt pouch
whetstone
flint and steel

Usually stowed with horse:
kushite warhorse
40 bolts in a horseman's quiver
heavy lance
riding saddle
waterskin
saddle bags containing a canvas bucket, grapple hook and 50 feet of hemp rope, 3 days feed
canvas kit bag containing a torch, bowl, bed roll, and 3 days trail rations
Last edited by Whipstitch on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:27 am, edited 17 times in total.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

AH, if you'd still be willing to have a sixth I'd love to get in on this. I was hoping to play a scholar, maybe a Stygian with some of the mystery cult skill initiations, but from anywhere is fine.
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Alrighty Neb, getcher character together and you can be the Sixth Ranger.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I found this really great Conan character builder, it's an excel sheets with all of the core rulebook stuff built in: http://hyboria.xoth.net/resources/

I see Whipstich's got the Fancy Fencer Face angle covered...

Hey AH, I have some questions on how some weapons and abilities will stack together
From Warrior's Companion:
Mighty Blows Discipline – Dread Blow (Ex): The
disciple may sacrifice any additional attacks he may be
entitled to in order to make a single, deadly unarmed
strike
, as a full-round action. Should it hit, this blow is
automatically treated as a critical threat.

Unarmed Category weapons:

Swordfist: A weapon of gladiators, the swordfist is a
forged metal gauntlet with no fingers. Instead of having
any flexibility to it, the gauntlet is actually a brace for
a two-foot long straight sword blade. Using a swordfist
allows the wielder to use either his unarmed or sword
styled feats and abilities. For instance, a warrior with
a swordfist could use his Weapon Focus (unarmed) or
Improved Critical (shortsword), but not both.

War Gauntlet: A heavier version of the common
gauntlet, a war gauntlet is actually a full armlet of riveted
metal that protects up to the elbow joint. Along the back
of the thick fingers are rows of spines or sometimes even
blades, with a set of jagged protrusions following suit
to the bottom of the forearm. Although its design means
that no weapon may be wielded or fine manipulation
performed by that hand, its extensive metal construction
does give the wearer the benefits of wearing a buckler
shield.
So would I be able to Dread Blow(ex) using these gauntlet weapons? Like a dude from a Brom Illustration
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Yes, you can combine Dread Blow with Swordfist or War Gauntlet.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

AH, If I use a Khitan, could Martial Disciple count as a favored class? The flavor of Martial disciple talks about Khitai and Vedhya as a source for training, but don't say anything about favored races.

The character concepts I have in mind are either a Khitai Martial Adept or Hyrkanian nomad.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, I found out that what I was looking at was the core Conan book, and a book of adventures. I should really have taken a closer look before asking. I definitely want to play a scholar, but I'm torn between Pelishtim Shemite or Stygian. Khitai is tempting, but only because their background skills are either broken or poorly written:
Khitan Background Skills wrote:Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (any), Move Silently.
There is no way they actually meant that Khitans get 2 free ranks in all knowledge skills, but that's how it reads when you see that in other background skills they write "(any one)."

Noticing now that the Pelishtim Shemite bonus on coup de grac is just +1 to damage, I suddenly care less and think I'm going to go with a Stygian Scholar.

Character sheet is in progress below. I'm currently considering the possibility of buying slaves, basically to set up camp as needed/possible, and perform the recharge ritual for my character.

Lord Kamoses-ak-Ankh Keeper of Set's Second Mystery; Keeper of Iku, the least mystery of Seshet
"It's never leprosy."
The son of a priest and temple prostitute, Kamoses-ak-Ankh never wanted for anything as a child. His father did not spoil him, often making him earn that which he wanted, but never flat denying his son anything. Even his stipend and inheritance needed to be earned. Kamoses first trained as a scribe, then a physician, and finally became a Lay Priest of Set. After being initiated in the First Mystery of Set, he earned his title, and his first allowance of silvers.
He is a priest and physician of no little renown in Stygia, mostly known for his dour way of interacting with others and his somewhat dehumanizing glare. Those close to him have tried to assure others that he's different to those he knows--albeit not much--to varying degrees of success.
The study of Set's mysteries eventually revealed that the gods were more symbols than entities, a fact which has made him voracious in the secrets of all gods.
Stygian Scholar5/Noble1
Favored classes: Scholar and Noble
Str14
Dex13
Con12
Int1917
Wis17
Cha19

Hit Points: 25/32
Fate Points: 3
Base Power Points 8
Current Power Points 16?
Corruption: 2
Sanity: 56/Max 97

Initiative: +1
BAB: +3
MeAB: +4
RaAB: +4
MaAB: +6

Attacks: Khopesh +4m 2d4+1, 18-20/x2 AP 4, 10 Hardness, 9hp, 4 hp, S
Stygian Bow +5r 1d12+1, 19-20/x2 AP 2, 60' range, 5 Hardness, 4hp. P

Saves
Fort: +1
Ref: +2
Will: +9

Base Defense: 10
Base Dodge: +1
Dodge: 12
Base Parry: +1
Parry: 12

Armor Damage Reduction:
ACP:

Code of Honor: None, though generally acts with the overall code of a mercenary (would need to give up a code eventually anyway, so no actual code)

Skills
Background Skill ranks noted as 2+X
SkillRanksAbility ModSynergy BonusesRacial BonusesFeat BonusesMysteries of Set BonusesMisc. ModsSituational ModsTotal
-rAMSBRBFBMoSBMisc.SMTotal
Appraise (Int, UT)6300000+2 with Alchemy or Herbalism9
Bluff (Cha, UT)040000004
Concentration (Con, UT)300000003
Craft (Alchemy) (Int, UT)6322012+2 to construct anti-venom or eye lotions15
Craft (Herbalism) (Int, UT)9340200+2 to construct anti-venom or eye lotions17
Craft (Any Mundane) (Int, UT)03000 0003
Cthulhu Mythos (none, UT)3--0000003
Decipher Script (Int, T)-3000 000-
Diplomacy (Cha, UT)64000 0009
Forgery (Int, UT)03000 0003
Gather Info (Cha, UT)24000 0006
Handle Animal (Cha, T)2+04000 0006
Heal (Wis, UT)93302 02+1 to heal eye problems19
Hide (Dex, UT)01000 0001
Intimidate (Cha, UT)04000 0004
Knowledge (any) (Int, T)---------
Knowledge (Arcane) (Int, T)2+7302011016
Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) (Int, T)23000 1006
Knowledge (History) (Int, T)23000 0106
Knowledge (Local-Stygia) (Int, T)2+23000 0108
Knowledge (Mysteries: Djehuty) (Int, T)9300001013
Knowledge (Mysteries: Seshet) (Int, T)9300001013
Knowledge (Mysteries: Set) (Int, T)93000 01013
Knowledge (Nature) (Int, T)83200 01014
Knowledge (Nobility) (Int, T)13000 0105
Knowledge (Religion) (Int, T)23000 0106
Knowledge (Rumours) (Int, T)-3000 010-
Knowledge (Warfare) (Int, T)-3000 010-
Listen (Wis, UT)13000 0004
Move Silently (Dex, T)01000 0001
Perform (any) (Cha, UT)04000 0004
Perform (Ritual) (Cha, UT)2+74020 02 (ebon staff)015
Profession (Scribe) (Wis, T)23000 0005
Ride (Dex, UT)01000 0001
Search (Int, UT)13000 0004
Sense Motive (Wis, UT)03000 0003
Spot (Wis, UT)43000 0007
Survival (Wis, UT)03000 0003

Feats:
Ritual Sacrifice
Stygian Physician
Surgery
Sorcerer's Boon
Iron Will
Opportunistic Sacrifice

Languages: Stygian, Khitan, Shemitish, Demonic, Acheronian, Old Stygian, Hyrkanian, Puntan

Racial Features & Background Skills
  • +2 Knowl (arcane), Perform (ritual), Craft (alchemy)
  • +1 Stygian bow
  • -2 v. Corruption
  • EWP: Stygian Bow
  • Handle Animal, Knowledge (arcane), Knowledge (local-Stygia), Perform (ritual)
  • Favoured Class: Scholar, Noble, Temptress
Class Features
  • Sorcery Styles (Necromancy, Nature)
  • Scholar Background (Lay Priest)
  • Knowledge is Power +7
  • Title- Lord
  • Rank Hath It's Privileges
  • Wealth
Mysteries of Set
  • First Mystery: Basic Symbolism, +1 Kn. Arcana, +1 Cr. Alchemy
  • Second Mystery: Deeper understanding of the purposes and symbolic truths of the minor gods
    • Ahephi: +1 bonus to any one roll related to an alchemical device utilising dust or pollen thrown by them if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Bat: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a divination spell cast by them if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action, or a +2 bonus to a Sense Motive skill check made for a cold reading (see page 118) for a non-sorcerous practitioner of clairvoyance and divination.
    • Bes: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell from the counterspells sorcery style cast by them if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action; non-sorcerous priests who know this mystery can do a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) to give someone a +1 bonus to their saving throw.
    • Ehtum: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell cast by them or at them at sunset if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Hap-I: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell cast by them from the Sea Witchery sorcery style if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. May grow +2 HD of black lotus if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 24) is made along with a casting of Sorcerous Garden.
    • Heqat: +5 bonus to any one roll related to a spell from the counterspells sorcery style cast by them for the benefit of a pregnant woman if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. +2 competence bonus to any Heal check made regarding a pregnant woman.
    • Idris: +2 bonus to any one roll related to a spell from Conan: The Free Companies cast by them while in a foreign land if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Imsety: +2 bonus to save against a Draw Forth the Heart spell cast at them if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. Gain a +2 bonus
      to any one roll related to a save against a disease affecting the heart if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move equivalent action.
    • Kebb: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell designed to create or benefit from sex or sexual lust (such as the Dance of Atali or Enslave spells in Conan: The Scrolls of Skelos) if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Kephra: +2 bonus to any one roll related to a spell from the immortality sorcery style (from Conan: The Scrolls of Skelos) if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Khnemu: +2 bonus to any one roll related to a spell involving water (other than mere rain) if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Maahes: +2 bonus to any one roll related to a spell involving rain or severe weather if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Nefertem: +5 bonus to the Craft (herbalism) check made for a Fruit of Air spell (from Conan: The Scrolls of Skelos) or +2 HD worth of size when growing magical plants with the Sorcerous Garden spell if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Neith: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a shot from a bow or a Craft (weaving) check if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Nekhebet: +2 bonus to any one roll related to a spell from Conan: The Free Companies cast by them against foreigners in Stygia if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Nephtys: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell from the necromancy sorcery style cast by them if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Nuit: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell aimed to cause chaos among an enemy host if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. Gain a +2 bonus to any one roll related to a spell designed to create or benefit from sex or sexual lust (such as the Dance of Atali or Enslave spells in Conan: The Scrolls of Skelos) if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Qebsneuef: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell affecting the intestines if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. Gain a +1 bonus to any one roll related to a save against a disease affecting the intestines if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Selkhet: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a Craft (mummy) check if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made an hour beforehand. Gain a +2 bonus to any one roll related to a Heal check or save against poisonous bites if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Shu: gain a +3 bonus to any one roll related to a spell from the Immortality sorcery style (from Conan: The Scrolls of Skelos) if a series of three Perform (ritual) checks (DC 18) are made before the casting of the actual spell.
    • Tef Maauti Nu: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell affecting the rain if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. Gain a +3 bonus to any two rolls related to a weather-affecting spell if a series of three Perform (ritual) checks (DC 18, DC 22, DC 15) are made in an hour-long ritual performed immediately before the casting of the weather-related spell.
    • Th'mumathph: +2 bonus to any one roll related to a spell affecting the stomach if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
    • Tawerat: +1 bonus to any one roll related to the birth of a child if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. Increase the likelihood of conception by 50% if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a one minute ritual performed prior to sexual activity.
    • Usir: +1 Power Points if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. gain double their Wisdom bonus to their total Power Points if a series of three Perform (ritual) checks (DC 18, 20 and 22 respectively) are made as three standard actions.
Mysteries of Seshet
  • First Mystery: Iku The character gains a bonus of 10% to all experience awarded from now on.
  • Second Mystery: Mer This mystery brings unity to duality. Synergy bonuses for skills are granted at every five ranks, not just at having five ranks in a synergistic skill set.
  • Third Mystery: Sekhem This is the generation of new life from the union of being. The character gains +1 skill point per character level. This is retroactive with past levels. The skill points must all go into any one skill the character did not have previously–purchased as if it were a class skill.

Mysteries of Djehuty
  • First Mystery: The first mystery of Djehuty teaches vigilance, giving the character a +2 bonus to Craft (alchemy) and Heal.
  • Second Mystery: The second mystery of Djehuty gives the character an understanding of truth and lies, giving the character a +2 bonus to all opposed Sense Motive skill checks to see if someone is lying.
  • Third Mystery: The third mystery of Djehuty teaches the importance of knowledge and how knowledge can be achieved through organisation and goal-setting. Keepers of the Third Mystery of Djehuty have a +1 bonus to all Knowledge skills (this stacks with Skill Focus and Knowledgeable feats).

Equipment
stiletto
linen robes
belt and pouch
spell component pouch
shoes
Ankh, Stygian Priest Jewelry
50 sp of incense
ink, quill, parchment
Ebon Staff of Set (150 sp)
Khopesh (240 sp)
Stygian Bow (+1) (50 sp)
40 Arrows (8 sp)
10 "Common" female stygian slaves (former temple prositutes) (300 sp)
Herbalist's Kit (2 sp)
Hefau-Peseh Papyrus
Rert-Beqsu Papyrus

Wealth: 750 worth of equipment
386 pieces of silver on hand

Spells
Necromancy
Raise Corpse
Chill of the Grave
Death Touch
Crawlers From the Mouth

Nature
Summon Beast
Spirit of the Land

Curses
Lesser Ill-Fortune
Awful Rite of the Were-beast
Ill Fortune

Last edited by Prak on Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 18 times in total.

Ancient History
Serious Badass

OgreBattle wrote:AH, If I use a Khitan, could Martial Disciple count as a favored class? The flavor of Martial disciple talks about Khitai and Vedhya as a source for training, but don't say anything about favored races.

The character concepts I have in mind are either a Khitai Martial Adept or Hyrkanian nomad.
Sure, that's fine.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Is the Heal skill pretty crucial to have in this world without clerics and CLW wands?

The rules for hanging shields on your shoulder or off your back are also a nice touch.

*Man, I'm really enjoying this character creation process. The Conan rules are just the right amount of 'realistic' to add to flavor without detracting with fiddliness.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

San currently 47 after undershrine central door was opened.
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Tue May 27, 2014 2:00 am, edited 47 times in total.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Background
Nebemakhet, Lord at the Horizon, Keeper of Set's Third Mystery, Derketo's Third Mystery, and Djehuty's First Mystery(Neb for short)

Books Used: Stygia, Serpent of the South; Secrets of Skelos

Foreshadowing: Neb. will take part in an ultimately failing ritual which causes the deaths of several. Neb. will take part in a lotus smoke hallucination in which he believes he was attacked psychically. Neb. will save a noble from snakebite as the first step of a long con.

The son of Meresankh, the Great Ornament, an itinerant priestess of Derketo, Nebemakhet grew up traveling up and down the river Styx, visiting the many small temples to Derketo found on the pleasure islands maintained for nobles' indulgences. Fascinated by both the use of sorcery and the ease by which the temples' debased clergy were able to manipulate even great princes, he was encouraged to study both the religion of Stygia, and the cultivation of cunning the priesthood necessitated. When he was determined to have some facility at handling lotus preparations his mother arranged for him to learn alchemy from a lapsed priest, Semerka, in Khemi. Given the protected status of snakes in the city, Semerka taught him techniques by which to not only protect himself from them, but control them as well. It was here where it was hinted that Set, in his aspect as a snake god, was but an aspect of some older, possibly pre-human deity. Spurred on by this, he began studies at the city's temple of Set, quickly completing his scribe training, and where his devotion to learning was looked upon favorably. Nebemakhet, however, is less interested in being pious, than in becoming powerful.

Physically, Neb stands 5'7", is dusky like most Stygians, and is usually carrying a fairly large horned viper which more often than not is hiding under his robes
Stats
Stygian Scholar 6

11 Str
11 Dex
15 Con
17 Int
16 Wis
17 Cha

Hit Points: 48 (if at max HP/HD, so whatever is cool)
Fate Points: 3
Initiative: +0
Corruption: 8
Sanity: 47/75
Social Class in Stygia: Scribe
Reputation: Decadent (potential +2 bonus to Intimidate, Gather Information, and Diplomacy) 13(5 lvl +3 Cha +4 Mystery, +1 Scribe)
Code of Honor: None

Feats:
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Stygian bow), Ritual Sacrifice, Debaucher, Iron Will, Sorcerer's Boon X2, Opportunistic Sacrifice

Sorcery:
Power Points: 9 (4 base, 3 Wis, 2 level)+ 1-3 from Mystery of Usir
Counterspells: Warding, Incantation of Amalric's Witchman
Divination: Astrological Prediction, Psychometry, Visions
Serpent Magic: Blessing of Yig, Unseen Serpents, Animal Ally, Snakeshift, Hypnotic Gaze, Dread Serpent

Skills

Knowledge is Power +11(+6 level, +3 Int, +2 Mystery)

+11 Bluff (5 ranks, 3 Mystery, 3 Cha)
+11 Concentration (9 ranks, 2 Con)
+15 Craft (Alchemy) (5 ranks, 2 racial, 3 Mystery, 2 synergy 3 Int)
+12 Craft (Herbalism) (5 ranks, 4 synergy, 3 Int)
+11 Decipher Script (8 ranks, 3 Int)
+18 Diplomacy (5 ranks, 5 Mystery, 2 synergy, 3 Cha, 2 Rep.)
+5 Handle Animal (2 background ranks, 3 Cha)
+10 Heal (5 ranks, 2 Mystery, 1 synergy, 2 Wis)
+12 Gather Information (5 ranks, 2 Mystery, 3 Cha, 2 Rep.)
+25 Intimidate (8 ranks, 2 Mystery, 2 synergy, 3 Cha, 8 Corruption, 2 Reputation)
+16 Knowledge (Arcana) (6 ranks, 2 background ranks, 2 racial, 2 synergy, 1 Mystery, 3 Int)
+5 Knowledge (local:Stygia) (2 background ranks, 3 Int)
+12 Knowledge(Mystery:Set) (9 ranks, 3 Int)
+12 Knowledge (Mystery: Derketo) (9 ranks, 3 Int)
+6 Knowledge (Mystery: Djehuty) (3 ranks, 3 Int)
+11 Knowledge (Nature) (6 ranks, 2 synergy, 3 Int)
+18 Perform (Ritual) (9 rank, 2 background ranks, 2 racial, 2 Mystery, 3 cha)
+4 Profession (Scribe) (2 ranks, 2 Wis)
+4 Sense Motive (2 Mystery, 2 Wis)
+2 Slight of Hand (2 Synergy)

Languages: Stygian, Shemitish, Keshani, Khitan, Hyrkanian, Demonic, Acheronian, Old Stygian
Snake Form/Animal Companion
Lesser Son of Set
HD: 11d8 Init: +10 Dodge: 19 DR: 6
Attack: Bite +13/8 (1d8+7, AP-) Grapple +23
SQ: Constrict (1d8+7 AP-), Improved Grab
Str:25 Dex: 17 Con: 13

Animal Companion
Snake, Medium Viper (Ally, advanced )
HD: 6d8 Init:+17 Dodge:17 DR:5
Fort: +5 Ref: +9 Will: +6
Attack: Bite +10 finesse (1d6-1, poison (Fort 13, 1d4 temp Con, Saves (4) Immediate/1 round/1 round/1 round))
SQ:Scent, Link, Evasion
Str:10 Dex:19 Con: 11 Int: 1 Wis: 12 Cha: 2
Skills: Balance 12, Climb 12, Hide 17, Listen 5, Spot 5
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Ability Focus (poison), Improved Initiative
Tricks: Attack, Defend, Down, Fetch, Heel
Non-Snake Combat
Attacks:
Stygian bow + 5 (1d12, 19-20/x2, AP:2, 60ft)
Heavy Mace +4 (1d10, x3, AP:4)
Stiletto +4 (1d4, x4, AP:1)
Magic Attack Bonus: +6 (+3 Base, +3 Cha)

Defenses: (in armor)
Fort: +4 Ref: +2 Will: +8
Dodge vs Melee: 12
Dodge vs Ranged: 16
Parry vs Melee: 16
Armor Damage Reduction: 4
ACP: -4 (0 with move action)
Sorcery Failure Chance: 55% (30% after a move action, 0% after 30s/min)
Equipment
Assorted lotus preparations in clay jars

Basic alchemy lab (-2), shared with Kamoses
1 dose Flame Powder
Quilted Jerkin, Large Shield, Steel Cap
Stiletto, Heavy Mace, Stygian Bow, 40 arrows
Healer's Kit, Herbalist's Kit
Medical Papyrii (Nuh-Nun:+4 competency to Craft (Herbalism/Alchemy) for making medicine; Nepsu Henay Qesu:+3 competency to Heal for dealing with damage)
Merchant quality robe and papyrus sandals, Spell component pouch. parchment case w/6 sheets parchment, ink vial and 2 quills, 1 lb soap, waterskin, pair of manacles w/ average lock

pieces of silver on hand 4 sp
Knowledge (Mystery) Crap

Mysteries of Djehuty
First Mystery: +2 Craft(Alchemy and Heal)

Mysteries of Derketo
First Mystery: +Mystery level to Bluff and Diplomacy with a sexual component, can follow 20 min. of sex with Perform (Ritual) check to gain +2 enhancement to Cha (DC 12)
Second Mystery: Mystery Level-1 competency to Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Perform, Sense Motive, can follow 20 min. of sex with Perform (Ritual) check to gain +2 enhancement to Wis (DC 15)
Third Mystery: Can touch as full round action and Perform (Ritual) (DC 15) to: Remove Fatigue, Remove Terror, Cause orgasms (Fort DC equal to Perform Check) that daze target 1 round/character level, Heighten Senses, Cause/Cure Impotency. Can follow 20 min. of sex with Perform (Ritual) check to gain +2 enhancement to Str (DC 18). Can take Debaucher feat without prerequisites

Mysteries of Set
First Mystery: Basic Symbolism, +1 Kn. Arcana, +1 Cr. Alchemy
Second/Third Mysteries: Deeper understanding of the purposes and symbolic truths of the minor gods

Ahephi: +1 bonus to any one roll related to an alchemical device utilising dust or pollen thrown by them if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
Bat: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a divination spell cast by them if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action, or a +2 bonus to a Sense Motive skill check made for a cold reading (see page 118) for a non-sorcerous practitioner of clairvoyance and divination.
Bes: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell from the counterspells sorcery style cast by them if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action; non-sorcerous priests who know this mystery can do a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) to give someone a +1 bonus to their saving throw.
Ehtum: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell cast by them or at them at sunset if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
Hap-I: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell cast by them from the Sea Witchery sorcery style if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. +2 HD of black lotus if Perform (ritual) (DC 24) made along with a casting of Sorcerous Garden.
Heqat: +5 bonus to any one roll related to a spell from the counterspells sorcery style cast by them for the benefit of a pregnant woman if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. +2 competence bonus to any Heal check made regarding a pregnant woman.
Idris: +2 bonus to any one roll related to a spell from Conan: The Free Companies cast by them while in a foreign land if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
Imsety: +2 bonus to save against a Draw Forth the Heart spell cast at them if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. +2 to save against disease affecting the heart if Perform (ritual) (DC 18) made as move-equivalent action.
Kebb: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell designed to create or benefit from sex or sexual lust (such as the Dance of Atali or Enslave spells in Conan: The Scrolls of Skelos) if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
Kephra: +2 bonus to any one roll related to a spell from the immortality sorcery style (from Conan: The Scrolls of Skelos) if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
Khnemu: +2 bonus to any one roll related to a spell involving water (other than mere rain) if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
Maahes: +2 bonus to any one roll related to a spell involving rain or severe weather if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
Nefertem: +5 bonus to the Craft (herbalism) check made for a Fruit of Air spell (from Conan: The Scrolls of Skelos) or +2 HD worth of size when growing magical plants with the Sorcerous Garden spell if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
Neith: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a shot from a bow or a Craft (weaving) check if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
Nekhebet: +2 bonus to any one roll related to a spell from Conan: The Free Companies cast by them against foreigners in Stygia if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
Nephtys: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell from the necromancy sorcery style cast by them if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
Nuit: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell aimed to cause chaos among an enemy host if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
Qebsneuef: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell affecting the intestines if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. +1 to save related to disease affecting the intestines if Perform (ritual) (DC 18) made as move-equivalent action.
Selkhet: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a Craft (mummy) check if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made an hour beforehand. +2 to Heal or save against snakebite with Perform (ritual) (DC 18) made as move-equivalent action.
Shu: +3 to roll related to Immortality style if Perform (ritual) (DC 18, 18,18)
Tef Maauti Nu: +1 bonus to any one roll related to a spell affecting the rain if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. +3 bonus to two rolls related to weather affecting spell if Perform (ritual) (DC 18,22,15) made in hour long ritual.
Th'mumathph: +2 bonus to any one roll related to a spell affecting the stomach if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action.
Tawerat: +1 bonus to any one roll related to the birth of a child if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. 1 minute ritual (Perform (ritual) (DC 18)) to increase likelihood of conception to 50%
Usir: +1 Power Points if a Perform (ritual) check (DC 18) is made as a move-equivalent action. Double Wisdom to total power points with Perform (ritual) (DC 18,20,22) made as standard actions
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

OgreBattle wrote:Is the Heal skill pretty crucial to have in this world without clerics and CLW wands?
And related stuff like Craft(Herbalism), yeah. If you ever need surgery for anything, I think you're super-fucked.
Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

I know you're full up, but I would LOVE to be in on this game. Put me in as a reserve maybe? I'll work up a character so I'm ready if the call to action comes.
Psychic Robot wrote:chock full of aspie
"BEEP BEEP BOOP DOES NOT COMPUTE"
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Okay.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

OgreBattle wrote:I'm in.

I really love the 1984 film and Howard's books, and my most enjoyable D&D games are the ones at a Conan level of power. I'm not familiar with how magic works in Conan d20 though. Do warrior-types have the same problems as in D&D3e, are there certain 'traps' we should avoid? Like is two weapon fighting a bad idea, or do they have their own feats that make it its own thing.
Forgot to respond to this. With a few levels and power point multipliers a sorcerer's defensive blast gets fairly gnarly and they eventually can acquire some decent save or dies and hypnosis abilities as well as more varied ways of regaining PP. They're not CoDzilla or Wizard dominant, but hey, what is? At higher levels they should probably sandbag to avoid being assholes.

As far as the fighty types are concerned, the sneak attack or two hander status quo tends to win out. For example, a lolno parry score like mine looks fairly sweet on paper or when holding off a mob of unoptimized lowbie shit--which isn't a bad skill to have in low fantasy land. My dude will embarrass the shit outta some level 1 picts. But one on one? He lacks a definitive fight ender, so Sir Sundersalot and feinting sneak attackers can gib him fairly quickly, which makes me a sad panda.

Two weapon fighting proficiency sans sneak attack isn't appreciably better--indeed, the fact that everyone armored has a smattering of DR if anything makes it worse--but it does get handed out like candy, so two shivs isn't so bad as an improvised trick. It also means that thieves have a plethora of 1 level dips to choose from if they want to goose their attacks while picking up some proficiencies.

Two handers still rock your face all the way off, particularly since Conan D20's alternate title should be World of Minor Damage Resistance. There's also an obnoxious general feat named Explosive Power stowed away in one of the supplements that lets you trade away your extra attacks on a Full Attack but makes your single attack a critical hit, with the big restrictions being that you have to be BAB 5, be fairly strong and willing to put all your BAB towards Power Attack, which you also must take.:roll: Now, mind you, auto crits is a cute trick that I endorse as a way for Mr. Swordfirst monk to beat armor DR, but on some asshole Cimmerian Barbarian with a bardiche (2d10, x3 on crit) in a game where Massive saves kick in on 20 damage? I'd actually rather not let AH have access to that that one, thanks.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So now we have two Stygian scholars...

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Well, there are a couple different legitimate scholar builds - aside from straight-out sorcerers, there's a pseudo-monk option available where you can replace the different "bonus spells" with certain special meditation abilities, and of course you can just trade out some of the class features for bonus feats.