[TRD] Core Paladin

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Which Paladin should be the Core TRD Paladin?

SRD Paladin with 6th level casting and built in smite upgrades
8%
Iameki's Kantian Paladin - http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=39220
42%
Brobdingnagian's Paladin - http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=39063
No votes
IGTN's Paladin - http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50021
17%
ThundergodCid's and Tarkisflux's Templar - http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Templar_%283.5e_Class%29
21%
A different existing work not on the list (explained below)
No votes
A toned down version of one of the above (explained below)
No votes
A toned up version of one of the above (explained below)
No votes
None of those, something else entirely (explained below)
No votes
None of those, because it's a stupid concept.
13%

Total votes: 24

TarkisFlux
Duke

[TRD] Core Paladin

Post by TarkisFlux »

New week, new poll. The Bard's been mostly sorted, and the next partial caster we don't have a strong opinion on is the paladin. So we turn to the Den to sort it out. Enjoy!

Also, the SRD paladin with no changes was here before, but it was too many options for the poll. So if you want that, because you're a dick, say so.

Full disclosure: I have one in the running that I think works well-ish, but it's relatively unknown on the Den. And we're trying to satisfy you as much as ourselves (which is fucking impossible, of course). So, poll.
Last edited by TarkisFlux on Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Did you mean to ask which paladin should be a bard or is that a copypaste error from the prior poll?
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Copypaste error from prior poll. Apparently I can't do a poll without a stupid error. And I can't seem to fix it by editing the post, so I guess it stays.

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
It's been healed.
[/TGFBS]
Last edited by TarkisFlux on Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

That Templar looks pretty cool, just looking at it now.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Shameless poll bump.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'll probably never play a Paladin just for the baggage attached to the whole Paladin concept, and because the half-caster thing doesn't excite me much.

That said, the Templar does look awesome.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The Templar.

For a generic paladin, you'd be better served with a mounted combat class or feats (Knight, Mounted Combat), an undead-slaying class or feat, etc.

If you want to call something a "paladin", either an undead hunter or a divine-flavored mage-warrior would be a good choice--and the Templar fits the second. But 'heavy armor wearing, weak divine casting, evil slaying, undead hunting, horse riding, special magic sword wielding warrior' sounds like the description of a specific character, not a class.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

BearsAreBrown
Master

Post by BearsAreBrown »

I think the Kantian Paladin is a great remake of the Paladin but it's so boring. Basically I agree with what Catharz says about it. IGTN's Paladin deserves credit for the best Smite mechanics I've ever seen. Templar is a good class but not recognizable as a Paladin replacement.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

What is the paladin supposed to feel / play like?

For example: some people I play with, like playing fighter like classes where they don't have any real options other than full-attack on the character sheet, while I hate that and would never play that (and prefer something more wizard like).
If you're going to ask me what class I like, I'd always pick the one with lots of options, yet a good ttRPG should also have classes for people who prefer to have less options (or more) than I do.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

I admit, I was not expecting people to say nice things about the Templar. Doesn't seem like it's going to be core (not in the default version anyway), but it's easy enough to put in an appendix along with IGTN's.

There's a number of things about the class that I'm still not happy with though, and there's a den thread on it if you have any specific comments / critiques about it. Link.

Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

TarkisFlux wrote:I admit, I was not expecting people to say nice things about the Templar. Doesn't seem like it's going to be core (not in the default version anyway), but it's easy enough to put in an appendix along with IGTN's.

There's a number of things about the class that I'm still not happy with though, and there's a den thread on it if you have any specific comments / critiques about it. Link.
Hmm... I think that the fluff from the Kantian Paladin is the best, further it has been in basically all the version of tome pdf's thus far.

Whatever version mechanically used. . . I feel that the fluff of the Kantian Paladin should be used. It's a gamingden mainstay.

So basically I guess my idea I some kind of hybrid.

My paladin players basically have said they love that paladin but hate its "smite" mechanic. so... if you replace that you likely have a win.

Compromise works quite a bit.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
BearsAreBrown
Master

Post by BearsAreBrown »

Midnight_v wrote: My paladin players basically have said they love that paladin but hate its "smite" mechanic. so... if you replace that you likely have a win.
...what's left? Lay On Hands and a Mount?
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

Just looked them all over, and without a doubt the Templar is my favorite by a wide margin.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

BearsAreBrown wrote:
Midnight_v wrote: My paladin players basically have said they love that paladin but hate its "smite" mechanic. so... if you replace that you likely have a win.
...what's left? Lay On Hands and a Mount?
1. Proper fluff. (written with the tome perspective in mind)
2. Bard Casting
3. Aura of Good
...Aura of defiance
...Aura of Resolve
...Aura of Health
...Aura of Truth
...Aura of Forbidance
4. Fast Casting
5. Mettle
6. Mounted Combat: Skill feat.
7. Fucking Divine Inspiration and Fast Casting.

8. ... and its level 20 so rational people don't care but: Miracle

So yeah lots of stuff I've had people love.

They just didn't like the d6 smite. I guess they wanted smite to be a thing they did, not a thing that was always on. Shrug.

So yeah it get my vote, but I suggest picking a different smite from one of the others or something.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

What about the soulborn smite?

Level 2: Swift action, all attacks for the turn are +Cha mod to hit and +level to damage, 1 minute recharge.

Level 6: Recharge time removed.
Sir Aubergine
Apprentice

Post by Sir Aubergine »

I quite liked the first ability of the Vow of Valor. Reminds me of the trope http:// tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SingleStrokeBattle
The Denner’s Oath
The Denner, The Denner’s reflection: [in unison] A Denner is unhelpful, unfriendly and unkind.
The Denner’s reflection: With ungracious thoughts...
The Denner: ...in an unhealthy mind.
The Denner’s reflection: A Denner is uncheerful, uncouth and unclean. Now say this together!
The Denner, The Denner’s reflection: I'm frightfully mean! My eyes are both shifty. My fingers are thrifty.
The Denner: My mouth does not smile.
The Denner’s reflection: Not half of an inch.
The Denner: I'm a Denner.
The Denner’s reflection: I... am a Denner.
The Denner: I'm a Denner!
The Denner’s reflection: That's my boy. Now go out and prove it!
Cheiromancer
NPC

Post by Cheiromancer »

I like the Kantian paladin (maybe cuz I have a philosophy degree) but I have to admit that I really like IGTN's take on smite. I would make a small change to it, though: it should be expended on *any* successful hit, not just against evil creatures. Otherwise it acts like an infallible, unblockable detect evil.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

As far as "Core" Tome goes, I'd say use the Kantian Paladin; however, I also really like the Templar, and think that it could be included in expanded material, or otherwise along side the Kantian Paladin.