The Mundane Melee fighter can go fuck himself.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

vagrant wrote:Whether that's BSing the MC with 'Naw man, I'm sooooooo sweet of an archer I can drill a tunnel with arrows/dark powers granted by the Demonic Archcardinal Zzat' or combat, you do not get to say 'It's magic so GTFO.' That is stupid and lazy and dis-empowering to people who like playing characters that aren't fucking magic.
You are an idiot. We are not the MCs who are telling people they can't drill a tunnel. We are the game designers making a game for other people, a substantial number of who are going to disempower such players.

You personally cannot dictate what other MCs will do with such a fucking situation, because as established by Evasion, they will ignore the actual fucking rules to do that.

If you just write "Arcane Archer" instead of "Archer" you instantly and immediately solve that problem. You are the one demanding that a bunch of people who are not you have to suffer so that you personally don't have to go through all the work of describing your Arcane Prowess as muscles in your personal game where you like fapping to Charles Atlas.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Fuck people who think 'mundane' needs to correspond to reality. As a game designer, yes, if an MC disempowers you in that way, it's no less of a dick move than going 'Rocks fall, everyone dies.' Design your game to not cater to idiots. Problem solved.
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

"Mundane" literally means "corresponds to reality", there's nothing else for it to mean. Stop trying to make it mean "powered by muscles" or "magic, except for some reason you don't call it 'magic'".
-JM
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

It's a fantasy game. Expect magic.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

vagrant wrote:Bullshit. It's all magic. Mundane in DnD does not correspond to mundane in reality, and anyone who believes that it does or that it should is a hopeless wanker whose opinion I've long since discarded.

Alright, look, I get it. Having to be some skinny dude with a robe every session on pain of being treated like a second class citizen is super lame. But as I've pointed out in other threads, there's "mundane" as in "Everyday occurrence within a given setting" and "mundane" according to our own experiences. The second meaning gets pulled out a helluva lot more often. So while I totally support the existence of suped up characters who do not use "wizardry," I do not call them "mundane" in every day game design conversation, because that is deeply stupid and confusing.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

Whipstitch wrote:Alright, look, I get it. Having to be some skinny dude with a robe every session on pain of being treated like a second class citizen is super lame. But as I've pointed out in other threads, there's "mundane" as in "Everyday occurrence within a given setting" and "mundane" according to our own experiences. The second meaning gets pulled out a helluva lot more often. So while I totally support the existence of suped up characters who do not use "wizardry," I do not call them "mundane" in every day game design conversation, because that is deeply stupid and confusing.
This is vaguely a good direction to move things in, because "team fighter" is really two groups.

1) is the nockers and benoists who want to go on adventures and face challenges without the abilities to overcome those challenges and overcome those challenges anyway through DM fellatioclever roleplaying.

2) is Libertads and vagrants who want to have real abilities but don't want them to be "magic" or more specifically they want to have real abilities without the tropes of classical D&D spellcasters being grafted onto their characters.

or as Frank has previously said
[url=http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=305842&highlight=#305842 wrote:Frank Trollman[/url]]So really what we've established is that the things that the 4rries and Wrathzogs of the world think they want isn't genuine. They rant about being under the thumb of wizards, but they can't actually name things that they want non-magical characters to be doing. What they really want is for there to be enough kinds of magic that they can get to high level without being the same kind of character as anyone else. Verisimilitudinous couldn't actually name any modern fantasy characters that didn't have magic, but he did name some fantasy characters whose magic wasn't "wizardish". So he wants to be a half-fiend or dragon-bonded in order to get access to late game content, which is still magical, but distinctly different from wizardry.

To which I can only say: Sure. Be an Angelic Guardian or a Mind Lord or a Gaea's Avenger or whatever. You don't have to be an Archmage or a Witch Queen to play at high level, you just have to have some fucking magic. If you want to have magic that is skinned as a deep connection to the natural world or an awakening of your demon blood or something rather than something you studied and earned, go fucking nuts. That part of the fluff doesn't matter at all.

But if you think you have a devastating argument that a character who literally doesn't have any magic can be a high level character, you're just fucking wrong.
Seriously people this discussion has reached a point that their is no argument team fighter can make that Frank hasn't already refuted.
Neurosis
Duke

Re: The Mundane Melee fighter can go fuck himself.

Post by Neurosis »

Lord Mistborn wrote:I'm Lord Mistborn you may remember me from previous threads in which we have discussed fighters, and their lack of place in a D&D like game. However despite the paucity of their arguments memes from the pro-fighter camp still hold sway even in the Den. We have even respected posters like K ranting about how we can't have attack eagles because that would make the mundane melee fighter feel small in the pants. This is unacceptable.

The reality is that low mobility and melee attacks are a losing combination and rewriting the game in order to make mundane melee characters not suck involves shitting on other archetypes to an unacceptable degree. Even if before you talk about magical types you have to acknowledge that "archery" is a thing and players are totally going to want to have and people want "uses a bow" be a major part of their character. That means archery has to be good enough that when "charge and stab with swords" and "hang back and shoot with bow" are both on the table it has to be viable for character to chose the latter. That means however their are going to be situations where "bows" are viable options and swords aren't far more often than the other way around and you can't fix this disparity without shitting all over Legolas and Robin Hood. and let's talk about magic for a second because while there are wizards that can tote be part of the same adventures as mundane melee guys there are also "mighty wizards" who can't and they're not just a fixture of the fantasy genera they're heavily integrated into D&D's mythology. What the pro-fighter side is essentially saying is "huge swaths of the fantasy genera should't be represented in game because I crave Conan cock", and that's terrible.

So basically what I'm saying is... fuck the fighter, seriously fuck that guy.
Wow this thread is fucking retarded.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Lord Mistborn wrote:1) is the nockers and benoists who want to go on adventures and face challenges without the abilities to overcome those challenges and overcome those challenges anyway through DM fellatioclever roleplaying.
From where are you taking this, Misty? I already said that "a Fighter" should be like the Tome Fighter, only more than that. The class needs abilities written on their sheet to alter and control the world.

At the same time, I don't subscribe to the notion that "awesome requires being supernatural". You keep seeing as an absolute rule of the universe what's actually an artifact of decades of bad design decisions.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I don't like Tome Fighter. It doesn't deal enough damage compared to Tome Barbarian.

Too trick-focused and not enough beat-your-face
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

nockermensch wrote:At the same time, I don't subscribe to the notion that "awesome requires being supernatural". You keep seeing as an absolute rule of the universe what's actually an artifact of decades of bad design decisions.
There aren't a lot of decisions you could make that would allow awesomeness to come in non-supernatural flavors. As we've seen with the Evasion example, even a totally balanced "mundane power" is still going to be stealth nerfed in actual play. And just conceptually, there's simply no "non-magical" way you're going to be able to adventure in many fantasy environments. A "fantastic environment" is almost by definition an environment you need some kind of magic to interact with. Magical monsters that require magic to defeat are a dime a dozen, and symmetry is impossible - because wizards are capable of solving tasks non-magically because they have fucking thumbs.

I mean sure, you can fiat that the fantasy can't go up to eleven because we're not allowed to have adventures at the bottom of the sea or in cloud cities or in areas that just happen to be deadly hot or cold in order to keep the "mundane" characters from simply expiring. But that's a shitty and unsatisfying answer, and it still doesn't solve the Evasion puzzle.

-Username17
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

nockermensch wrote: At the same time, I don't subscribe to the notion that "awesome requires being supernatural". You keep seeing as an absolute rule of the universe what's actually an artifact of decades of bad design decisions.
You could change the paradigm, but it'd require depowering wizards to about 5-10% of their current power level. You'd go to a wizard being Gandalf. And I don't mean the bullshit Gandalf superpowers we never see because he's some secret demigod. I'm talking about the spells Gandalf actually does in the movies, disregarding the whole fight with the balrog and resurrecting. He casts a light spell, sends an animal messenger and gets in a magical shoving match with Saruman. When he wants to kill stuff, he fights with swords, because swords are actually better than what his spells do.

You could make a game like that, but it wouldn't resemble D&D at all. A purple worm would be a destroyer of civilizations, not a random monster mid-level parties face.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

So beating it into MC's skulls that they're being douchebags for nerfing non-magical characters in fantasy gaming is impossible, but beating it into player's skulls that they're wrong for wanting to play non-magical characters is perfectly viable?

I wouldn't expect anything less stupid from Mistborn, but ignoring him is impossible at this point; he's not beating a dead horse, he's digging up a horse that was buried years ago, dragging it out into the streets, and raping it, causing massive traffic.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:So beating it into MC's skulls that they're being douchebags for nerfing non-magical characters in fantasy gaming is impossible, but beating it into player's skulls that they're wrong for wanting to play non-magical characters is perfectly viable?
As fucked-up as it is, yes, it is perfectly viable. Because MC is empowered by rules -2, -1, and 0 and the players are generally led by the narrative and mechanics to behave in a certain way. I mean, seriously, how many times have you seen players argue that they should get a one-time 2d6 sneak attack bonus because they've extensively studied a recurring villain's fighting style and weak points? How many times have you seen players swing from a chandelier and kick a burning candelabra into the foes despite both 3E and 4E D&D explicitly suggesting that as a plausible 'off the books' stunts that wasn't explicitly instantiated by the rules?

It's not going to be foolproof because even in 4E D&D the 4.5E devs ended up sneaking in an oldskool DMF variant despite crowing continually about the new and improved fighter. But it is the path of least resistance. But it's just plain easier for a game designer to lead players by the nose instead of the Maim Master.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

The way my friends and I have done it, in variants, is that the world is magical, everything is magical. Heroes take that up to 11. A high level character just has a bigger 'spirit' than other people. They can do shit that just breaks the norms, because they are Heroes and fuck you.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Cyberzombie wrote:
nockermensch wrote: At the same time, I don't subscribe to the notion that "awesome requires being supernatural". You keep seeing as an absolute rule of the universe what's actually an artifact of decades of bad design decisions.
You could change the paradigm, but it'd require depowering wizards to about 5-10% of their current power level. You'd go to a wizard being Gandalf. And I don't mean the bullshit Gandalf superpowers we never see because he's some secret demigod. I'm talking about the spells Gandalf actually does in the movies, disregarding the whole fight with the balrog and resurrecting. He casts a light spell, sends an animal messenger and gets in a magical shoving match with Saruman. When he wants to kill stuff, he fights with swords, because swords are actually better than what his spells do.

You could make a game like that, but it wouldn't resemble D&D at all. A purple worm would be a destroyer of civilizations, not a random monster mid-level parties face.
This is a non-sequitur. Fighters don't need to be a sad and pathetic class and everybody else don't need to be depowered for melee combat to shine. You can have a paradigm where if a "fighter" takes their 8th level, they get to pick stuff like:

Improved Really Good Jumping (Ex) [mobility] : You jump to any point within Medium Range from you as a move action. If you jump at a flying creature, you can grab it / land on it as a free action.

Improved Guardian (Ex) [defense] : You're intensely aware of attacks happening within Short Range from you. You can attempt to redirect these attacks to you. Roll (whatever is balanced) and if successful, you becomes the target. These redirected attacks deal half damage. If they allow for a save, you save at +4.

Greater Resolve (Ex) [defense] : Inside Combat: You gain 25 temporary hit points at the start of your round. They don't stack. Outside Combat: You get to ignore weather and planar effects that deal less than 25 damage/round. City of Brass? Sure, whatever.

Elaborate Planning (Ex) [keikaku] : Inside Combat: As a move action, you reorder your and your allies' initiatives. This ability can be used once per five minutes. Outside Combat: Your uncanny talent to make people work together can do (stuff appropriate for those who like to play Logistics and Dragons).

Greater Goading (Ex) [keikaku] : Inside Combat: As a move action, force an enemy to make a Will Save. On a failed Save, that enemy acts immediately (this permanently changes his initiative place) moving as you determine and doing nothing for their standard action. Outside Combat: Works like Suggestion, while still being (Ex) People that make their saves realize you tried to manipulate them.

etc.

QUITE OBVIOUSLY, this isn't going to fly for everybody. People intent to roleplaying Conan from 1-20 are still fucked. I don't consider this a problem, because people intent on that want low level adventures forever, and this can be achieved with more sincerity by playing only on the low levels. A sincere discussion about tiers of adventuring certainly belongs on any RPG that wants to do D&D's adventuring scope. If people can't accept that the adventuring companion for a flying / teleporting / mind-controlling wizard looks more like One Piece's Zoro than with the historical king Arthur, then they should avoid playing at that tier.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:So beating it into MC's skulls that they're being douchebags for nerfing non-magical characters in fantasy gaming is impossible, but beating it into player's skulls that they're wrong for wanting to play non-magical characters is perfectly viable?
Yes. Exactly.

Because we already ran the natural experiments with d20 Modern and 4e D&D. Those games were terribad, but absolutely zero fucks were given over either short core classes or mandatory shtick enhancement via Paragon Classing. Both those things happened, and the player base took it completely in stride.

The mundane hero class can simply be only five levels long, followed by choices like Favored Soul and Dragon Master. Or there could simply come a level where you get a phlebtonium infusion automatically by taking a Paragon option that happens to be something like Angel Knight or Arcane Archer. Both of those options would go over fine, because we've already done the experiment and players were cool with it.

We know we can't stop MCs from balking at high powered effects for mundane themed abilities, because we already tried writing high powered effects for mundane themed abilities and MCs fucking balked. Evasion got stealth nerfed. That is a thing that happened. Repeatedly. But we also know that we can mandate that players upgrade to a Prestige/Paragon/Whatever class at a specific character level and the players won't balk. It's an upgrade, and they'll take it. And then the Mundane Hero problems mostly go away.

-Username17
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

What is this evasion stealth nerf that keeps getting referenced?
Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

Seerow wrote:What is this evasion stealth nerf that keeps getting referenced?
"You can't possibly Evade the centre of a fireball where no mere mortal could find a gap, even though that's exactly what your goddamn ability says you can fucking do, because it's not explicitly magical, even though Extraordinary abilities explicitly are allowed to violate the fucking laws of physics by rules as written."
Kaelik wrote:Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath, Justin Bieber, shitmuffin
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

One DM I had house ruled that a character must make an Immediate action Move when rolling Reflex to get out of an area attack, which makes sense but also leads to the question of why the character can't move at any time without being affected...
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

It's not just evasion, either. Recall Andy Collin's weird tirades about small rogues sneak attacking. Hell, I remember a debate on this very board in which RC2 said that he wouldn't allow a rogue with +30 to sneak to try to slip past a guard in a featureless, narrow hallway but would allow a wizard with invisibility to try.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Omegonthesane wrote:
Seerow wrote:What is this evasion stealth nerf that keeps getting referenced?
"You can't possibly Evade the centre of a fireball where no mere mortal could find a gap, even though that's exactly what your goddamn ability says you can fucking do, because it's not explicitly magical, even though Extraordinary abilities explicitly are allowed to violate the fucking laws of physics by rules as written."
Considering that "dodging the earth-shattering explosion by diving to the ground" is one of the most common "mundane action hero" stunts in movies and TV, that is fucking stupid.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

TheFlatline wrote:Considering that "dodging the earth-shattering explosion by diving to the ground" is one of the most common "mundane action hero" stunts in movies and TV, that is fucking stupid.
Which can honestly mean you get a free trip when you throw a fireball
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Yes. Exactly.

Because we already ran the natural experiments with d20 Modern and 4e D&D. Those games were terribad, but absolutely zero fucks were given over either short core classes or mandatory shtick enhancement via Paragon Classing. Both those things happened, and the player base took it completely in stride.

The mundane hero class can simply be only five levels long, followed by choices like Favored Soul and Dragon Master. Or there could simply come a level where you get a phlebtonium infusion automatically by taking a Paragon option that happens to be something like Angel Knight or Arcane Archer. Both of those options would go over fine, because we've already done the experiment and players were cool with it.

We know we can't stop MCs from balking at high powered effects for mundane themed abilities, because we already tried writing high powered effects for mundane themed abilities and MCs fucking balked. Evasion got stealth nerfed. That is a thing that happened. Repeatedly. But we also know that we can mandate that players upgrade to a Prestige/Paragon/Whatever class at a specific character level and the players won't balk. It's an upgrade, and they'll take it. And then the Mundane Hero problems mostly go away.

-Username17
There's this Peasant Hero class here. I don't know if it's official or anything, and it's really just a Fighter2/Ranger1 (if shittier) but if they want to play the mundane guy, this is probably a good choice.

Discuss.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:It's not just evasion, either. Recall Andy Collin's weird tirades about small rogues sneak attacking. Hell, I remember a debate on this very board in which RC2 said that he wouldn't allow a rogue with +30 to sneak to try to slip past a guard in a featureless, narrow hallway but would allow a wizard with invisibility to try.
Even though you only need to roll 20 to spot an invisible creature.
K
King

Re: The Mundane Melee fighter can go fuck himself.

Post by K »

Schwarzkopf wrote:.... We have even respected posters like K....\
Shit, when did I become a respected poster?

I'm pretty sure that everyone thinks that I'm insane and 100% of all credit for the Tomes is attributed to Frank.