Player character mortality - Yay or Nay ?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

silva wrote:And even then, he just pulled this out of his ass because its nowhere in the book text. (the next guy in the thread even notes this for him)
So yes he's saying that you're supposed to asspull random modifiers.
- Edit: And he's also saying those random modifiers only apply sometimes (in other words: whenever you bribed the storyteller with enough favours)
Last edited by ishy on Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

What you have there is an author contradicting the book himself writed, and even then over specific conditions (making players use help/interfere in themselves). Your point - pulling random modifiers at will according to task difficulty - dont have anything to do with neither.

If youre gonna attack the game, at least attack it for what it is. A task resolution simulator its not.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

If I want to, I can give Berg +1 to his roll for Clarion's help, but it's not in the rules that I should. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
The author is literally saying that you should asspull modifiers whenever it strikes your fancy.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

bah, whatever.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

silva wrote:If youre gonna attack the game, at least attack it for what it is. A task resolution simulator its not.
Hold the phone. I just want a little clarification here. *World is not a task resolution simulator? The game system does not provide a solution to resolve disputes between parties with opposing goals? The last time I checked, the first difference between Cops & Robbers and a game with rules is the fact that when I say "I shot you" and you say "Nuh uh, you missed", the rules give us a way to determine who's right.

I don't want to be contrary here, I just want to know what it does if it doesn't do that. I am willing to accept the idea that my concept of a "game" is incorrect.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

If there IS some fairly remarkable retraction from Lago
You might be more well researched on his statements than I am. I'm aware he and I have argued over player death particulars before so our beliefs are clearly not identical. My memory of his statements of his desires for death was something like "A very very low percentile chance of death to exist and a near negligible but still existent possibility for a TPK with combat breakpoints to allow retreat or negotiation". Regardless of if I'm mistaken about his position that is mine and I feel like it's the best one to match actual play experiences in a fantasy RPG environment.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

characters die, they can be brought back with rez or raise. no big. if a player dies.. better call someone fast or end up on Nancy Grace of some other FOX News show.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Zaranthan wrote:
silva wrote:If youre gonna attack the game, at least attack it for what it is. A task resolution simulator its not.
Hold the phone. I just want a little clarification here. *World is not a task resolution simulator? The game system does not provide a solution to resolve disputes between parties with opposing goals? The last time I checked, the first difference between Cops & Robbers and a game with rules is the fact that when I say "I shot you" and you say "Nuh uh, you missed", the rules give us a way to determine who's right.

I don't want to be contrary here, I just want to know what it does if it doesn't do that. I am willing to accept the idea that my concept of a "game" is incorrect.
Apocalypse World resolution isnt about simulating physical interactions with the environment like most traditional games do. Its about solving tension/conflict with emphasis on the fallouts of it to the fiction.

In other words, if you say "I wanna shot the sheriff in the face"... in Shadowrun the GM would set a difficulty for the roll based on physical situational modifiers (distance, visibility, target area of exposition, gun recoil, etc) while in Apocalypse World you would roll without any modifiers at all, because its irrelevant to the game. The consequences may result in modifiers (like when you "read a sitch" and gain +1 for following the lead given by the GM), but physical minutia dont.

tl;dr: its about choice & consequences, not simulating physical tasks.
Last edited by silva on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Stinktopus
Master

Post by Stinktopus »

silva wrote: In other words, if you say "I wanna shot the sheriff in the face"... in Shadowrun the GM would set a difficulty for the roll based on physical situational modifiers (distance, visibility, target area of exposition, gun recoil, etc) while in Apocalypse World you would roll without any modifiers at all, because its irrelevant to the game. The consequences may result in modifiers (like when you "read a sitch" and gain +1 for following the lead given by the GM), but physical minutia dont.

tl;dr: its about choice & consequences, not simulating physical tasks.
So, in Anus World, if you say, "I shoot the sheriff" and roll "positive outcome," then the GM can respond with, "Actually, the sheriff shoots you in the face first, but your soul goes to spend eternity in the Elemental Plane of Blowjobs."
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Stinktopus wrote:So, in Anus World, if you say, "I shoot the sheriff" and roll "positive outcome," then the GM can respond with, "Actually, the sheriff shoots you in the face first, but your soul goes to spend eternity in the Elemental Plane of Blowjobs."
Sounds good to me.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

deanruel87 wrote:I happen to believe death should exist in a fantasy style RPG but it is noteworthy that the pro death crowd has argued EXTREMELY disingenuously from point one. The anti-death crowd's arguments are more honest and less incongruous the the pro death arguments. I personally want death but each of these threads has the same lines so lets cover why they are bullshit arguments.

Fighting is a part of the genre so how can you have fighting without dying!?
Fighting is part of the genre but protagonist death isn't. So this is actually a point for the anti death crowd. The only death's that ever occur seem entirely "player willing". Heroic deaths when facing unlimited hordes and so on. Protagonist death is AGAINST genre emulation not following it.

Without death there's no risk! The whole game becomes meaningless!
That's wrong. It has been repeatedly pointed out that usual D&D style adventures are not an enemy force solely targeting the PC's with no other goal. They are usually missions that can be failed or succeeded. If players can be beaten and not killed the princess can still die, the ring can still fall into Sauron's hands and all the lands be swallowed in darkness. There is definitely still a pot to play for even if the players themselves know that they won't ever die in a pit. The players can still lose even if they can't die if they can be beaten/ko'd and the game doesn't fall apart or become without risk.

People die if they make bad decisions. We should punish bad decisions with death and reward people who make good decisions like me!
This is the centrally wrong point. Those are lies, damned lies and it's provable with statistics. See people who say they want death in their games want death for other people. They don't want it for themselves because they themselves are too smart brave and handsome to make stupid mistakes (like roll badly). The myth is that you want death but all you actually desire is to feel like you are winning a skill based game which you definitely aren't. This is demonstrable by the fact that every single time a pro-deather lists the percentage chance they want death to result per fight or campaign it ends up being 10 to 100 times larger than their actual personal death record. The pro death crowd has repeatedly stated mathematical desires that are massively at odds with either their own games or their desired outcomes for campaigns or games when confronted with iterative statistics. To sum up the pro death crowd is full of bullshit and the things they keep saying they do and they want are provable lies. They are in cognitive dissonance where death needs to exist because that's how you prove who's making below average decisions but they personally will NEVER make below average decisions no matter how extended a test.

Why are you bitching about death!? Death is fine just get a raise dead idiot!
Yeah a game where death is a cureable blackout is the OPPOSING ARGUMENT. Stop saying this. It is a re-skinning of the anti-death crowd's desires but less self aware.

My personal position is similar to Lago's. I think the most genre appropriate, least disingenuous position is for death to technically be on the table but for their to be so many break points and warnings of it that any player dying knew it was coming and knew the scenario he was in. Let me propose a death system I would prefer.

In a D&D style system imagine a character has 100 hp. If he was taking damage he would be...
  • 0-100 Damage: "Healthy" No negatives.
    101-200 Damage: "Beaten" Considerable negatives. The equivalent to losing 4 D&D levels or so. The player can keep playing but he's basically out of the fight as a real threat.
    201-300 Damage: "Dying" The character is battered and prone and can basically just crawl slowly or speak.
    301 Damage: Dead.
Characters should also be able to do a "Final Stand" where they ignore any negatives from beaten or dying for a while but die afterwards. If your hp/death system looked like that it would mean death technically existed so death could theoretically happen if things went amazingly terribly. It means players could just get beaten and have to flee a fight because their combat viability was shot. It would mean players could die if they wanted to do a Borimir style last stand where they fight a hundred dudes until their body is weighed down by arrows. And it means death wouldn't happen because two people critted you this round because you would become beaten or at worst dying even if fighting powerful and lucky opposition.
Absolutely.

Point 3 is specially beautiful. :thumb:
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

deanruel87 wrote: People die if they make bad decisions. We should punish bad decisions with death and reward people who make good decisions like me!
This is the centrally wrong point. Those are lies, damned lies and it's provable with statistics. See people who say they want death in their games want death for other people. They don't want it for themselves because they themselves are too smart brave and handsome to make stupid mistakes (like roll badly). The myth is that you want death but all you actually desire is to feel like you are winning a skill based game which you definitely aren't. This is demonstrable by the fact that every single time a pro-deather lists the percentage chance they want death to result per fight or campaign it ends up being 10 to 100 times larger than their actual personal death record. The pro death crowd has repeatedly stated mathematical desires that are massively at odds with either their own games or their desired outcomes for campaigns or games when confronted with iterative statistics. To sum up the pro death crowd is full of bullshit and the things they keep saying they do and they want are provable lies. They are in cognitive dissonance where death needs to exist because that's how you prove who's making below average decisions but they personally will NEVER make below average decisions no matter how extended a test.
Not really, I'm fine with my character dying. I mean obviously I don't like it, but it needs to be there for me to feel some risk. The moment the DM makes it obvious he won't kill people, the game tends to lose a lot of my interest.
flare22
Knight-Baron

Post by flare22 »

I
Lago PARANOIA wrote: Most people play D&D 3E at levels 1-3. Which is when the game is at its most lethal, has the fewest viable non-VAH ways to avoid violence, has the least tokens on the board to deflect death, and has the fewest resurrection schemes.
No 3x is about at lethal at all levels I recently was playing a lv 2 and managed to talk/bluff my way out of several encouters. and while you can't cast raise dead until lv7 there are tons of ways to bring a charecter back. Undeath being one of many low level options to keep a charecter. Their are many low level undead transform their victims. And even if your party lacks a cleric of lv4 the dm can just rule that a local cleric in town can cast the spell or somone has a scroll of it in town.

As for lethality sure the game is lethal that's part of the fun otherwise id go back to playing low risk games like pokemon were the worst that can happen is acendently wasting a master ball. And you can always like stated above undo death after the fact.
Last edited by flare22 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who fail to learn history
are doomed to repeat it;
those who fail to learn history correctly--
why they are simply doomed."
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Cyberzombie wrote:Not really, I'm fine with my character dying. I mean obviously I don't like it, but it needs to be there for me to feel some risk. The moment the DM makes it obvious he won't kill people, the game tends to lose a lot of my interest.
The thing is when a DM refuses to play by the rules it sucks. There is nothing more disincentivizing to player participation than the DM making it clear that your power to even kill yourself is being controlled by him. DM's not playing by the rules sucks dick but it sucks just as much as any other heavy and blatant railroading. If the rules said that when you lose you get beaten or KO'd that would feel vastly less shitty then the DM just declaring "No that can't happen I have more story" and the games that have those rules are fine.

I personally want an extremely unlikely death option to be on the table but I want it to be outside the mathematical range enough to be literally impossible to occur as a surprise. And I don't think playing with Death:On makes games more intrinsically interesting or challenging.
Last edited by Dean on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
flare22
Knight-Baron

Post by flare22 »

It sounds like your problem is with bad dms and not death machanics.
"Those who fail to learn history
are doomed to repeat it;
those who fail to learn history correctly--
why they are simply doomed."
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Stinktopus wrote:So, in Anus World, if you say, "I shoot the sheriff" and roll "positive outcome," then the GM can respond with, "Actually, the sheriff shoots you in the face first, but your soul goes to spend eternity in the Elemental Plane of Blowjobs."
No, in Apocalypse World if you say "I shoot the sheriff" and roll a 10+, you shoot him. He is shot. You do an amount of damage based on your weapon and his armor. If he's unarmored and you're using any sort of respectable weapon, he's probably done, because NPCs have terrible health.
Stinktopus
Master

Post by Stinktopus »

Chamomile wrote:No, in Apocalypse World if you say "I shoot the sheriff" and roll a 10+, you shoot him. He is shot. You do an amount of damage based on your weapon and his armor. If he's unarmored and you're using any sort of respectable weapon, he's probably done, because NPCs have terrible health.
That sounds like "simulation of physical tasks" to me. Clearly, you don't understand Anus World.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Nah, it doesnt make sense. A game called "Anus World" should send people to the Elemental Plane of Anal Sex, not blowjobs.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Cyberzombie wrote:The moment the DM makes it obvious he won't kill people, the game tends to lose a lot of my interest.
My own personal bugbear is that my characters are all genre-aware, and I'm pretty immersed in that when playing. If adventurers don't die until they face their final BBEG, then I'm not going to play like things are dangerous or any sort of problem at all. If NPCs can die and my character can't, are they even "real people" in the game?
deanruel87 wrote: If players can be beaten and not killed the princess can still die, the ring can still fall into Sauron's hands and all the lands be swallowed in darkness.
GMs who fuck up their own campaign world because I ignored their adventure hook and went and did something character-appropriate instead, that's really not even interesting. More monsters is just more adventure, and it still can't kill me. If you mean GMs might try to stop me having fun if I have the wrong kind of fun, uh. No. I'm pretty good at having fun with characters who can't actually die. Have you never watched Groundhog Day?

Don't for heaven's sake tell me my character is destined for greatness. They'll sit around forever more waiting for greatness to turn up. Can't stop destiny, foolish to try.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Less talk about Apocalypse Dong, and more talk about how much fun it is for the DM to kill the PCs.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

I am now sorely tempted to send my players to another plane at some point. Its name will be ... ANUS WORLD!

So many anuses. Anuses to the horizon. Anuses across the heavens. Anuses as far as the eye can see. My god, it'll be beautiful! *wipetear*
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

flare22 wrote:while you can't cast raise dead until lv7 there are tons of ways to bring a charecter back.
NPC services with the local level 9 Cleric.

450 gold.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Chamomile wrote:No, in Apocalypse World if you say "I shoot the sheriff"
but did you shoot the deputy? (had to be done!)

it really all boils down to what the group of people playing want, not what some game designer puts in the game.

someone leaves during a game of Monopoly because real-life needs, then you an say the kitten died (God killed it because you masturbated...idgaf) and divide that players wealth up, or just return it all to the bank. any debts owed to the kitten PC are then owed to the bank or debited from the share given to that player, and any debts the kitten had are paid if divide up before dividing it.

nobody call tell you if you must be playing with character death or without it, only those people you are playing with at the time can decide on the type of game they want to play.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

NineInchNall wrote:I am now sorely tempted to send my players to another plane at some point. Its name will be ... ANUS WORLD!

So many anuses. Anuses to the horizon. Anuses across the heavens. Anuses as far as the eye can see. My god, it'll be beautiful! *wipetear*
Dont know about the god of Anuses, but the god of Asses is definitely Brazilian. or African.
shadzar wrote:nobody call tell you if you must be playing with character death or without it, only those people you are playing with at the time can decide on the type of game they want to play.
Yeah, this.
Last edited by silva on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
8headeddragon
Apprentice

Post by 8headeddragon »

Humbly chiming in with a circumstantial "yay." Risks are part of what makes the adventure meaningful and exciting, especially the kinds of adventures classic RPGs tend to involve. The risk does not necessarily need to be death, true, but the PC's life is one of the more common and realistic assets that is going to be on the line if they're say, in a dungeoncrawl filled with monsters and traps or crossing enemy lines during a time of war. Some PCs are not going to give a rip about saving the princess or defending their homeland or whatever, but most PCs are going to understand money and living to enjoy it. Just as there are going to be selfless knightly types anywhere from being fearless in the face of danger to actively seeking a heroic death.

So it all depends on the setting and the crowd.