Pathfinder: Burrowing

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

MGuy
Prince

Pathfinder: Burrowing

Post by MGuy »

Ok I've looked through all my books and can't find a damn rule for burrowing. I know it exists because monsters have it in the Bestiary but I can't find any god damn rules on how it works.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

From Pathfinder srd:
A creature with a burrow speed can tunnel through dirt, but not through rock unless the descriptive text says otherwise. Creatures cannot charge or run while burrowing. Most burrowing creatures do not leave behind tunnels other creatures can use (either because the material they tunnel through fills in behind them or because they do not actually dislocate any material when burrowing); see the individual creature descriptions for details.

Note: The details for Burrow were not included in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook so the above information was copied from d20srd.org.
Pathfinder doesn't actually have rules, because they are terrible at writing games.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Yeah, the closest I can find is the text of the Burrow spell in Ultimate Magic, which is essentially a variation on the burrow text Kaelik pulled from the d20srd.

Fucking lazy bastards.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Well that is impressively lazy. Here I was thinking that I fucked up.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

For bonus points, that's only on d20pfsrd.org, which is just some guy. The Paizo-hosted version doesn't have that section at all.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

zeruslord wrote:For bonus points, that's only on d20pfsrd.org, which is just some guy. The Paizo-hosted version doesn't have that section at all.
Hence why I bolded the part that says "There exist no rules in Pathfinder for what a Burrow Speed is at all anywhere, so I copied this from 3.5, because Pathfinder is so bad at copying other people's work that they didn't copy vital parts."
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

So what's the deal with burrowing. Can I attack people standing on the ground while I am burrowing under the ground, if I have enough reach? Can the guy standing on the ground attack the guy burrowing adjacently?
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

infected slut princess wrote:So what's the deal with burrowing. Can I attack people standing on the ground while I am burrowing under the ground, if I have enough reach? Can the guy standing on the ground attack the guy burrowing adjacently?
No. The ground still provides full cover until you burrow to the surface.

The one that's really fucked is Incoporeality. Because for Wraiths, walls provide full concealment, but don't provide cover, while they provide full cover for their corporeal opponents. So that actually is a one-way go fuck yourself. And the only reason that ghosts don't just stand behind walls and punch you to death is DM pity.

-Username17
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Kaelik wrote:
zeruslord wrote:For bonus points, that's only on d20pfsrd.org, which is just some guy. The Paizo-hosted version doesn't have that section at all.
Hence why I bolded the part that says "There exist no rules in Pathfinder for what a Burrow Speed is at all anywhere, so I copied this from 3.5, because Pathfinder is so bad at copying other people's work that they didn't copy vital parts."
They don't bother porting all the rules they're using and their 'core' book is STILL a monstrous 1.5x the DnD PHB.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

codeGlaze wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
They don't bother porting all the rules they're using and their 'core' book is STILL a monstrous 1.5x the DnD PHB.
Well, to be fair... large chunks of the DMG are also in the pathfinder core book, including page intensive stuff like prestige classes and magic items and all that environment stuff.

Leaving out shit is bad, but a larger single volume does make sense because it covers two.