Characters your mister cavern never approved of

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

Seerow wrote: So you play Core only with half of core banned?

Wow that sounds pretty awful. Like what's the point of even playing the game at that point?
One archtype and most of one class is not even nearly half the core. And any class that makes it unfun for every other person at the table isn't a good class and shouldn't be played.
erik wrote:
So after removing all the non-fun options, what is the point of playing with the remaining fun options? Hrm.

Now, I think it might be better to hand out power-ups to weak concepts, but it ain't my game to run.
The game's reached the point where it's a high level adventure and certain character's schticks aren't applicable. So I've handed out powerups to less high powered chars, but there comes a point where there's no box tall enough to stand on for some to be tall enough to ride.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I think his point is that you started by striping like 95% of all content. And then moved on to banning the parts of the 5% that you should ban.

Implicit in that is your justification about making the game less fun for the other players doesn't apply to the 95%.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Blasted wrote:
Seerow wrote: So you play Core only with half of core banned?

Wow that sounds pretty awful. Like what's the point of even playing the game at that point?
One archtype and most of one class is not even nearly half the core. And any class that makes it unfun for every other person at the table isn't a good class and shouldn't be played.
You specified you banned "Monks and other concepts for being bad".

If we're banning classes for being bad, you just gutted out half of core. Then banning splat book material as well means there's basically a half dozen classes left in the game.

If your actual definition of unplayable concepts actually is literally just monk and 1 archtype... eh whatever.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Wait, sorry, I tell a lie. One Rifts game said "This is about fighting the gods, so you can play anything, I mean absolutely anything".

Well Dark Conversions has a table for generating an Alien Intelligence (see: godlike entities). The MC changed his mind.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I don't think I've ever had a GM that explicitly 'banned' any character I suggested to play. Most GMs I've met/know don't know much about how the game works (and are mostly rulings over rules types). Mostly what ends up happening is that I get nerfed midgame if I do anything really interesting. The closest to actually banning my characters I've come to is a GM asking me to stop summoning things (even though I only started doing it because he kept putting us in bullshit situations) and an implicit agreement with a few GMs to not play "Face" characters anymore.
Last edited by MGuy on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

NineInchNall wrote:Submit a mineral warrior water orc Barbarian and watch it get refused. Submit a human Druid and all's good.
I think this quote and some others in this thread are an example of what's wrong with DM's/RPG-Fans in this hobby. They want to encourage people be conceptually less interesting, and more towards generic racial choices, and magic-using (because MAGIC! is easy to explain on the lazy minded).

I don't think I've really ever got a character "rejected", in that I don't get to play in enough games, and/or I avoid campaigns with dumb premises (DM dislikes [Tome] or bans Tome of Battle, cue Fighter-level balance ahoy!).
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

I'm usually the one doing the rejecting, although these days I usually go "I want to run a cool story, here are the characters" or "let's start a game and see what happens, you can be whatever you want that isn't specifically intended to fuck the game up."

I've had more problems with divergent degrees of optimizing than with actual "break the game" builds, really. Vanilla Halfling Rogue is not equal to most of what splatbooks allow you to build.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I've rejected a few characters but mostly because they were meant to be jokes. While I do allow for some laughs to be had at the table I don't desire characters who are ridiculous or highly inappropriate right up front.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

MisterDee wrote:I've had more problems with divergent degrees of optimizing than with actual "break the game" builds, really. Vanilla Halfling Rogue is not equal to most of what splatbooks allow you to build.
Yeah, I get that too. I have had a group where one person made a elf fighter (essentially), while another would make an awakened giant squid Hergian with a marid cohort.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

This is second hand, but in an early 3.0 game, Steve Z wanted to play a Blackguard in a game where Prestige Classes were disallowed. Steve Z did not let mere rules deter him and created Blackguard B. Blackguard. (The B in the middle was also for Blackguard) Thus the MC would have to refer to his character as Blackguard and could not use merely the surname. Blackguard B. Blackguard was built as a Sorcerer, but referred to all his spells by names of Blackguard PrC powers. Mage Armor became his Aura of Evil, and so on. And of course, he named his familiar Undead, allowing him to Command Undead.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Aryxbez wrote:I think this quote and some others in this thread are an example of what's wrong with DM's/RPG-Fans in this hobby. They want to encourage people be conceptually less interesting, and more towards generic racial choices, and magic-using (because MAGIC! is easy to explain on the lazy minded).
I think it more that oft times the player brings in some concept that either:

a) doesn't fit the RPG system they are using
b) doesn't fit what the GM is willing to deal with and run for
c) doesn't fit with what the rest of the group want to play with
d) is just too munchkiny for long term use
e) the mechanics picked do not really work for the concept
f) the mechanics chosen are being used to over emphasize a concept that is mostly the persona of a character for which there is no mechanics for.

in the case of F take swashbuckler which has been mentioned recently in various places. its classification as a "rogue" class may be the problem with executing what most people's idea of the archtype is because they are often called "rogues" (which should be read scoundrel) and it was assigned the same class group with that name, rather than being a "diplomatic fighter".

this problem probably stems from 3rd doing such since it took the WRONG swashbuckler kit from 2e from the book of thieves, instead of the one from the book of fighters, which is far better fighter.

main differences:
Thief swash: disarm ability, fighter THAC0
fighter swash: 2 AC bonus, one more WP, is a fighter so can specialize his weapon, no extra cost required to pick up rogue NWPs

so why did WotC decide to fuck up and use the shittier example as the future class? because they didn't know what they were doing and just make bad games, which leads people to do F and make BAD choices in creating a character.

so i am prety sure F is the reason for MOST denied characters because the concept was poorly mashed with mechanics, or he mechanics were chosen and a poor concept tacked on that don't fit the mechanics.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

shadzar wrote:anything that properly doesn't fit with D&D like Annie and Tibbers as one character because it isnt an armchair general game. ONE player, ONE character.
Yeah, Gygax never ran with no Henchmen or Followers!
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

rasmuswagner wrote:
shadzar wrote:anything that properly doesn't fit with D&D like Annie and Tibbers as one character because it isnt an armchair general game. ONE player, ONE character.
Yeah, Gygax never ran with no Henchmen or Followers!
let's examine those shall we? how are they acquired? do they jsut come ont eh character sheet?

Bob: Hey i got a level X character with 30 henchman i want to bring into your game.
DM: fuck off!

this is how it should happen. it isnt a ranger/druid/wizard with an animal companion/familiar. the way that henchmen and followers are acquired isnt by just writing them on the character sheet, they must BE acquired.

i am sure i was referring to the initial post for this thread and cannot see it in the thread review, but i recall something like "shield guard and little girl" thus why i made the Annie and Tibbers connection. that is two characters. first MANY people don't allow multiple characters by one player. that takes trust that should only be given freely by naive DMs that want they game destroyed and EVERYONE loses. not many people can handle more than one character and many can barely do well enough to handle just one.

another comparison would be Master/Blaster where you have the giant brute protecting the little weakling. well that CAN work, but two people playing it works better as i did with the kender/barbarian duo in that one game.

you don't jsut write in henchmen and followers on your character sheet, they msut approach you either via RP, or through dice when the game can support them.

a key thing is knowing WHY a character was not allowed, not just because it wasnt allowed. just saying, my DM was an ass because he didn't allow X, doesn't tell the whole story when there is no reason given. just trying to prove that DMs are all bad, which is stupidity from those buttsore over the DM they CHOSE to play with.

maybe people should add more context if they expect sympathy.

oh look, Ogre did provide context!
The idea was rejected as I would be controlling two characters
so it isnt an actual case of dickish DM, just aligns with item B i mentioned previously, as well probably C.
b) doesn't fit what the GM is willing to deal with and run for
c) doesn't fit with what the rest of the group want to play with
so my response to the concept was on target with the reason given. go figure. :roll:
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I was once told to not play a lvl 12 totemist because he did too much damage. I think I got 6 claw attacks at 1d6+3 ish. The MC also said the warlock was overpowered, but let his girlfriend play it.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

As I recall I was in a RIFTS game where I was not allowed to play a Sunaj Assassin because being able to touch yourself to make a dagger appear is broken. I ended up being a Gigantes Scathach Druid with the delusion that he was Karl Prosek. Go figure. (In a later game I played a Viking berserker built using Ninjas & Superspies and the wacky MDC conversion rules, because it was RIFTS and fucks should never ever be given)
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I wasn't allowed to play a Noghri in a WEG STAR WARS D6 game.

Game On,
fbmf
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

I recently tried to join a PbP on RPOL, 3.5, various sourcebooks allowed (of which one was Complete Mage).

So I submitted an elf wizard lvl 3; said I might like to go into Ultimate Magus.

Was told no Ultimate Magus, because they were "broken". Yes, seriously.

Okay, said fine, straight wizard.

Was asked to pick a free profession. I'm an elf from the woods, so I said "Profession: Hunter" (as everybody knows, this let's me do fuck-all, mechanically).

Was told "you're a wizard, not a hunter, pick something different".

Uhh...you mean despite the fact that I'm an elf who lives in the fucking woods, and is a better shot with a bow than most 1st level rangers, I can't be a hunter because "I'm a wizard"?

At that point he told me he already had another elf wizard apply, sorry, no opening.

Biggest fucking waste of time in my life.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
malak
Master

Post by malak »

I once had the pleasure of playing in a PF game (core only).

I wanted to play a sorcerer (since the DM mentioned he doesn't really like powergaming casters - so no Wizard).

Great, it was even allowed...only with the tiny houserule that for casters, there is no 5-ft step. Since positioning is done in an abstract way...ok...

But also, once the caster 'enters melee' (e.g an enemy is within 'battle' distance), which every enemy was every round after first, casting a spell will cause an AoO that cannot be avoided; unless the caster withdraws, that is, spends the whole action running away from the battle.

So the idea was that a caster is ok, but only if you spend every second round running away (doing nothing). And despite that, usually my caster was too far away to even cast color spray and hit someone.

Yay?

I quit after the second session. Yes, it was not that the character was disallowed. But come on...
Last edited by malak on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The groups I play D&D with usually makes characters before showing up to the first game without bothering to ask, so I've never had a D&D character concept denied (the one time a DM has asked for a concept to clear it, was literally a week or two ago, and he approved--a warforged inspired by Pacific Rim Jaeger's and a Data-ish "what does it mean to be sapient and artificial" motif).

On the other hand, in other games... well, never had a werewolf concept vetoed that I can recall. I did have a Star Wars character vetoed, though we never actually played that game--a nautolan ex-jedi who also eschewed the sith philosophy, opting to go his own way, a middle ground. The fact that I wanted him to have several light sabres of various weapon forms, as well as a "dark sabre" (I made it up when I was 16, sue me), were probably larger contributions to him being vetoed than anything else.

edit: Oh, also similar to malak. I played an aranea rogue, which would have been awesome, if the GM had not houseruled in a shitty facing rule which meant that I could only sneak attack in flank if the target was not paying attention to me, which meant fewer than 3 SA's per target in any given combat, at best. I left after a few games.
Last edited by Prak on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

For one GURPS campaign, I built the "Pet Rock": an intelligent but inanimate piece of gravel that had bought up clairvoyance, telekinesis, and telepathy spells at high enough level that it could use them constantly and for free. The GM never let that build off the character sheet.
Last edited by Vebyast on Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

In one game of WR&M, I wanted to play a suicide bomber. Every time he blew himself up, I'd spend a fate point to miraculously survive. He had a LOT of fate points.

There was also an aztec sorcerer who could spend HP instead of MP, and spend 1 MP to heal 1d6 HP. He cast super-overcharged mage armors that gave him effectively 15 times as many hit points in ablative armor, and could reliably take out 2 enemies per action with his attack spell. The mage armor was flavored as a flowing black shell of silently screaming faces and the attack spell was a magic shotgun where he'd slice his palm and then shoot out blasts of conjured obsidian. This was a starting character, built in response to a pitch for a gritty survival horror game.