[3.X] Boss Fight Numbers

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

I will never forget the moment when a group of 3 16th level adventurers in a game I was running pissed off the largest Kobold warren on their continent. They stood there all confident and poised as 413 perfectly normal Kobolds surrounded them, pulled out perfectly normal javelins, and proceeded to rain hell down upon them. 413x.05 = roughly 21 auto-hits, and 1 critical. Brought one of them down to half health and the other two down by about a third in the first round. They learned very quickly that the Law of Large Numbers means you do actually have to pay attention to sufficiently large groups of "mooks".

That was second only to the time when the max-Constitution Psychokinetic who had literally a hundred more HP than anyone else in his 8-person party was all like "let me go first!" and immediately triggered a Harm glyph on the doorknob that lead to the BBEG. The rest of the party refused to use their one Heal effect on him because it was known that the BBEG was undead, and the Psion literally just sat on the floor outside the door, refusing to participate because 1 HP.