Zero Buzz on 5E...Is It Dead Out The Gate?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

If you go through all the playtest packets, can you frankenstein together a decent game? Are there certain version of certain classes that have interesting mechanics worth looking at?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

OgreBattle wrote:If you go through all the playtest packets, can you frankenstein together a decent game? Are there certain version of certain classes that have interesting mechanics worth looking at?
Not really. The core of a game system is, well, the system. Mearls has always claimed that he had plenty of time to "do the math later," so no system has ever been in place. It's Dwarf Rappers in steel tuxedos all the way down.

-Username17
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Man, I've given GURPS plenty of shit in the past but at least Steve Jackson fucking realized that when people make homebrew settings with your game system it usually means they keep the core crunch and ditch the fluff. Fucking Mearls doesn't even seem to grok that his whole job is supposedly making life easier for MCs.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Wed May 21, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

I feel the cover art of these 5e books suffers from a serious lack of hunky dudes like COnan and hot babes with cleavage. I am not excited about these books. Do you think the interior art will follow this disney wiener kid style?
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Seerow wrote:Okay this is getting more hilarious with every post. No PC creation in the box, but you can create PCs without that. What.
Maybe they're thinking about going back to an SRD? Probably not, if they were that would be a source of publicity they could have leveraged by now. Unless they only want to reveal it after people buy books who otherwise wouldn't?
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:
Seerow wrote:Okay this is getting more hilarious with every post. No PC creation in the box, but you can create PCs without that. What.
Maybe they're thinking about going back to an SRD? Probably not, if they were that would be a source of publicity they could have leveraged by now. Unless they only want to reveal it after people buy books who otherwise wouldn't?
On twitter some people asked about digital tools, and Mearls responded being deliberately vague. So it is within the realm of possibility that they are aiming for some form of SRD/Character Builder/whatever, but don't want to announce it until it's ready to launch for fear of a repeat of 4e's online tools.
Pedantic
Journeyman

Post by Pedantic »

Seerow wrote:On twitter some people asked about digital tools, and Mearls responded being deliberately vague. So it is within the realm of possibility that they are aiming for some form of SRD/Character Builder/whatever, but don't want to announce it until it's ready to launch for fear of a repeat of 4e's online tools.
They're worried about another murder-suicide? I feel like that's pretty much a one-off event for a gaming company, no matter what karma has on them.
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

Pedantic wrote:They're worried about another murder-suicide? I feel like that's pretty much a one-off event for a gaming company, no matter what karma has on them.
Really, the problem there wasn't the murder-suicide, but the fact that 1 guy was so central to the project that it fell apart without him. That is just stupid management that there was no excuse for.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Previn wrote:
Pedantic wrote:They're worried about another murder-suicide? I feel like that's pretty much a one-off event for a gaming company, no matter what karma has on them.
Really, the problem there wasn't the murder-suicide, but the fact that 1 guy was so central to the project that it fell apart without him. That is just stupid management that there was no excuse for.
Uh what? I heard about this a while back but was confused. Murder-Suicide? Please elaborate.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Last edited by ishy on Thu May 22, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Pixels wrote:They are selling a game book for $40 that cannot even be used for two months? Insanity. I mean it literally; I cannot think of a single good reason to trickle out the core books.
and yet D&D exists with MM coming out in 1977, PHB in 1978, and DMG in 1979.

a whole year between books, how could such a product even work?

they SHOULD put them all out at once, but they likely want to build more buzz which could cause a backlash when the last book comes out and sucks.

but the DMG isnt about being rules to play this time, just advice, and you should only need the PHB and MM to play, so they say. DMG is only for novices or something like that. also the starter set has beginners rules for like up to 3rd level, so you can get familiar with the other rules in the mean time as you try out EVERYTHING in the starter set over those 3 months.

don't make me have to defend a shit product like 5e again, because it isnt worth it. jsut dont say something stupid like "no reason" when they are trying to get the "feel" of the old back and well it always came with a staggered release BEFORE WotC came along.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Although the murder-suicide certainly didn't help, the real problem is that WotC's software development wing is utterly, completely incompetent. Every single software thing they do (including their website) is utter shit and takes about 10 times as long to create as it should.
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

MisterDee wrote:Although the murder-suicide certainly didn't help, the real problem is that WotC's software development wing is utterly, completely incompetent. Every single software thing they do (including their website) is utter shit and takes about 10 times as long to create as it should.
Or just doesn't come out at all. Remember all the crap that they were supposed to produce for 4E. The character visualizer, the online game table, plus a ton of GM tools.

They ended up producing a character builder and nothing else.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Here's another question. What are they doing to explain the changes to the universes rules in canon.

2e-3e was Vecna bitch-slapping the lady of pain.

3e-4e was Mistra dying, starting the spellplage?

So whats 4e-5e?
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Wiseman wrote:So whats 4e-5e?
4e became 5e "not with a bang, but a whimper"
Paizil
NPC

Post by Paizil »

Given the recent grab of the old logo and revival of garbage like Battlesystem, I wouldn't be surprised by "Fuck you, reset." It would ideally push people to buy old splatbooks from dndclassics.com while still doing whatever they want. They can still go as far as they want, J.J. Abrams style (bonus points if it references that), while still pushing the idea of recapturing what used to be.
Last edited by Paizil on Sat May 24, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Well, taking into account I heard one of the first 5E adventures is going back in time to prevent Mystra's murder and thus, denying 4E ever happened...
Last edited by Dogbert on Sun May 25, 2014 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
CCarter
Knight

Post by CCarter »

"The Sundering"
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sundering_(event)

Catastrophe as per usual. They're trying to get players to be involved in rebuilding the setting but I don't see why anyone would give a millifuck at this point.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Dogbert wrote:
Well, taking into account I heard one of the first 5E adventures is going back in time to prevent Mystra's murder and thus, denying 4E ever happened...
Source? This is pretty funny.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Well, they've certainly generated some press now. Why the hell they didn't release all this info at the last Con, though usual guess is something to do with printing and distribution woes at this late stage.

Anyway, PHB out in July means it's content-closed as of mid-February. Then six weeks on the Monster Manual to tweak the numbers to suit those characters, finished around Apr 1. Six more weeks to tidy up the DMG advice, and that's about now, or last week.

So they've announced it because it's finished. Some back-and-forward with the printers about binding and paper/ink combos and so on, thus the covers they've got to show a couple days after the announcement. But design and crunch and layout and art and so on is done.

Questions I didn't see answered here.
[*] They're putting chargen stuff "online" at launch. It's supposed to be 15% of the PHB. So the resolution mechanics for the first module will be self-contained, or available for download or something. So you don't need the PHB or MM or DMG to play the module. They say.

[*] Compatibility with past editions is reduced to "sidebars in the DMG". So the PHB should at least be self-consistent.

[*] Outsourcing the modules is just weird. They either fucking play this game or they don't. If they play it, it'll be less "ivory tower", and they can just print what they played, all fixed up from actual destructive playtesting. If they don't play it, ... the opposite of that, really.

[*] I had wondered why Kobold Quarterly went silent. They've been busy with this module set for about ... six months? Started writing around the date of the second-last playtest? Something like that.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.ph ... its-Amazon!

That's being kept up to date.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Amazon has the starter set for $13. I kind of want to get it and try it, but I really don't want to spend $13 on this impending crap pile.

On the other hand... it has great drunk review potential.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I don't normally pay attention to 5E, but this got linked on a blog.

http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140527

"There’s a lot to talk about with the new game, but I’d like to take this week to focus on a piece of the puzzle we haven’t talked about yet: Basic Dungeons & Dragons.

Basic D&D is a PDF that covers the core of the game. It’s the equivalent of the old D&D Rules Cyclopedia, though it doesn’t have quite the same scope (for example, it won’t go into detail on a setting). It runs from levels 1 to 20 and covers the cleric, fighter, rogue, and wizard, presenting what we view as the essential subclass for each. It also provides the dwarf, elf, halfling, and human as race options.

But the best part? Basic D&D is a free PDF. Anyone can download it from our website. We want to put D&D in as many hands as possible, and a free, digital file is the best way to do that.

If Basic D&D is the equivalent of the classic Rules Cyclopedia, then the three core rulebooks are analogous to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Want more character options? Pick up a Player’s Handbook. Looking for more critters for your campaign? The Monster Manual has you covered. Want to sculpt a unique campaign? Pick up the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Still, Basic D&D is the true heart of the game and could easily provide a lifetime of gaming.

At the launch of the D&D Starter Set, Basic D&D will include the material needed to create characters and advance to 20th level. In August, with the release of the Player’s Handbook, Basic D&D will expand to include the essential monsters, magic items, and DM rules needed to run the game, along with the rules for wilderness, dungeon, and urban adventuring. (The Starter Set already covers the aspects of these rules that you need to run the included campaign.)"
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

I suspect that this won't really be any different from the playtests.

Which is a shame, because 5e D&D doesn't look like anything I actually want to play. Then again, I'm biased because Mearls is in charge and I don't think his work is worth money.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Well, from what I've seen of the playtest packets I'd rather play initial-release 5E D&D than initial-release 4E D&D. Of course, I'd rather have both of my testicles smashed with a tackhammer than both of them smashed with a tackhammer and spat in the eye.

Fucking bounded accuracy.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed May 28, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I'm excited I'll have something to shit on without paying money to do so. No one is unaware that this edition will be an unsaveable trainwreck but it will be nice to be able to lob insults at it without eating into my sandwich funds.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.