Mechanics that disappoint you in every conceivable manner

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

ACOS wrote:
GâtFromKI wrote: First of all, I want that the player don't need anything, be it a helm of underwater action or a +1 sword. If they are supposed to fight incorporeal creatures, they should have class abilities allowing that. The whole game should be functional and balanced without any magic item.
It occurs to me that, in this type of system, as soon as you introduce magic items, you've just upended you game. If it's functional and balanced without any magic items, then adding magic items will necessarily break that.
Indeed.

And therefore, magic item are special. And who know? The players may even sometime be happy to find something magic instead of completely indifferent because they were supposed to find it.

You do realize that limits the stories that can be told, right? I mean, having to get a special item to complete an adventure is a pretty classic trope. You can argue that that is hard to do well in an RPG, but it is still a trade off.
You still can.

You can give a flying carpet at level 3 to allow the PCs to have some adventure in the cloud castle. What you can't do is to give that item at level 15, and pretend it's very special because John plays some shitty monk who can't fly at level 15.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

@ Lago
Sure, upsizing a challenge is certainly easier than downsizing it; but I don't think that it's as "OMG Impossible" as you've characterized it.
What's actually hard is hitting the table with an encounter that actually plays out at its intended difficulty to begin with. And having to adjust it in either direction runs the risk of breaking the 4th wall.
Also, I've yet to play any addition of D&D (or any equipment-heavy RPG for that matter) that didn't have the equipment treadmill or christmas tree; so I don't know what you're talking about there.
Now, D&D 3.x did introduce a codified item creation system, which was indeed a game changer as far as player expectations go; but that edition was no way unique in the idea of the treadmill or christmas tree - it just helped to get rid of some of the "Mother may I". Sure, that came with its own set of issues, but it was a trade-off.

@ MGuy
I'll concede that items that simply make player accounting easier probably doesn't do anything other than just that. Who cares (mechanically speaking) if you have "infinite arrow quiver" or you just have a couple of quivers that you refill at your convenience? (bags of holding are a bit of a different animal, but I digress).
But no one can pretend with a straight face that a wizard with a Ring of Flying isn't significant, no matter what level - spells/day are scarce, and, more importantly, spells take in-game time to cast.

Basic mundane equipment is just that - basic and mundane. Even at 1st level, rope is trivially cheap. At the risk of making a "no true Scotsman" argument - if you don't have something as simple as rope, then you're not an adventurer. Why wouldn't you have rope? Charlie Bronson always had rope.
Maybe "cost relative to character level"? That doesn't even cover it either, I don't think.
As I see it, Special Gear (and equipment in general, for that matter) falls in to 3 categories:
(1) supplementary - helps you meet level-appropriate requirements
(2) complementary - provides you with non-essential utility / helps with better use of existing abilities
(3) flavor
Both supplementary and complementary gear increase a character's "level". Infinite arrow quiver - at least at a level where you are actually accumulating magics - is really just flavor.
Medallion of Thought can actually have strategic, and possibly tactical, implications - it's complementary, and increases "level". It may not have the same type of effect as a fighter's +5 Sword of Murderhoboing (which is supplemental), but it does have real in-game value.
Extra-dimensional storage is kind of an in-between case of flavor and complementary - and depending on the particular item in question, it may be full-on complementary - , making the assignment of value a little trickier.

@ GâtFromKI
In a game with reality-bending wizards and extra-dimensional creatures and all that, the existence of magic items can never be "special". You don't try to make the simple existence of magic items special - you make specific items special. Who cares about yet another +3 sword when I have the sword that gives me Sight Beyond Sight™?
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

ACOS you have to keep in mind that I was responding to what Kaelik said. I never suggested that having a ring of flying wasn't significant, just that it didn't allow the Wizard to face 'new' or 'harder' challenges. The rope thing was just to showcase how you can have equipment that allows a character to handle new challenges without actually allowing them to face harder challenges, thus not being appropriate for claiming that meeting that criteria was grounds to say a given character was 'higher level' for possessing it.
Last edited by MGuy on Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

ACOS, the thing I think you're missing is that if unforeseen synergies cause an encounter to be too easy, then the encounter gets over and done with quickly and you move on to the next encounter. If something unforeseen causes an encounter to be too hard, it's not that simple. You have to do some sort of fail forward or take MC pity in the middle of the combat or something to keep the game from ending right then and there.

The default assumption is that the players win their encounters with a certain amount of grief. If an encounter here or there turns out to be too easy for any reason at all, that doesn't actually matter. I mean yes, it's very easy to have an extra Bugbear come into the room on round 3 if you want to hotfix it to be less of a cakewalk, but an occasional cake walk encounter doesn't hurt anyone or anything.

-Username17
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

@ MGuy
Ah, I see. I think.
It seemed like you were suggesting that extra utility wasn't worthy of being considered any kind of "level-up".
And actually, not having rope, at least at lower levels, is a level-down. It leaves you less able to accomplish tasks that a normal adventurer should be able to do. So, in essence, obtaining rope is indeed a level-up over the guy who doesn't have rope.

@ Frank
Point taken.
Last edited by ACOS on Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

MGuy wrote:I never suggested that having a ring of flying wasn't significant, just that it didn't allow the Wizard to face 'new' or 'harder' challenges.
In what possible way is giving a Wizard an additional casting of fly (from an item) so that he can use his other spells slots for different spells not a level up in a system in which the most meaningful change between a level 5 Wizard and a level 6 Wizard is that one can cast all the spells the other one can, plus also fly?

That is in fact beating more challenges than before.
MGuy wrote:The rope thing was just to showcase how you can have equipment that allows a character to handle new challenges without actually allowing them to face harder challenges, thus not being appropriate for claiming that meeting that criteria was grounds to say a given character was 'higher level' for possessing it.
As I previously stated. It is an explicit assumption of the game that you gaining the ability to beat new challenges that are not harder is also leveling up. Level 10 Sorcerers and Level 11 Sorcerers exist. There is no possible encounter that a level 11 Sorcerer could beat that no level 10 Sorcerer could beat. The most meaningful difference is that the level 11 Sorcerer can beat more challenges of equal hardness.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

The reason giving a character that already has an ability an additional use of the same ability is not allowing them to face new or harder challenges is the same reason you don't level up a character by giving them a scroll or an extra arrow to level them up. Yes a Wizard doesn't have to use a slot to cast 'fly' all over again but that doesn't change the encounters the wizard can take on. The wizard's abilities haven't changed and any other ability the wizard could use to face any challenge he swapped out fly with is an ability he could've used in the first place.

Level 11 sorcerers get bigger numbers than level 10 sorcerers. Their numbers go up in many different ways. Their CL increases, saves, skills, number of abilities, HP, etc. Getting an extra spell is only one of many things the Sorcerer gets for leveling. Since his numbers go up he is better at facing challenges than he was a level ago. Sure the difference is smaller than say if we were comparing a level 10 sorcerer to a level 14 sorcerer but the changes are still there. How 'distinct' a character is from level to level depends on the game but they are still there.

The way you're shaping what 'Higher Level' can mean is seriously making it so that having rope makes you a higher level person than someone who doesn't. Yes, the way you're wording it makes it so that I can't straight up say X thing isn't leveling up because being higher level pretty much allows you to take on more challenges but so do many many other things you wouldn't really consider being a 'level up'. Again, I blame that on how broad the idea of ''Level' can be but I really don't think that people will ever find
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

MGuy wrote:The reason giving a character that already has an ability an additional use of the same ability is not allowing them to face new or harder challenges is the same reason you don't level up a character by giving them a scroll or an extra arrow to level them up. Yes a Wizard doesn't have to use a slot to cast 'fly' all over again but that doesn't change the encounters the wizard can take on.
A level 6 Wizard cannot take on new or harder challenges that a level 5 Wizard could take on. A level 6 Wizard mighty honestly straight up prepare the exact spells a level 5 Wizard would plus Fly.
MGuy wrote:The wizard's abilities haven't changed and any other ability the wizard could use to face any challenge he swapped out fly with is an ability he could've used in the first place.
So, he still got an extra spell slot. Which is the most important ability that you get for going up a level. As a Wizard. From 5-6.
MGuy wrote:Level 11 sorcerers get bigger numbers than level 10 sorcerers. Their numbers go up in many different ways. Their CL increases, saves, skills, number of abilities, HP, etc. Getting an extra spell is only one of many things the Sorcerer gets for leveling.
It is the most important one. If you define level based on challenges able to be overcome, the extra spell known of the Sorcerer is the most important thing. Because it allows him to defeat new but not harder challenges. Because he leveled up.
MGuy wrote:The way you're shaping what 'Higher Level' can mean is seriously making it so that having rope makes you a higher level person than someone who doesn't.
At level 1 your mundane gear is a significant part of what challenges you can and cannot overcome. Yes. That is true. A level 1 Fighter with Platemail, a Shield, and a Masterwork Sword, as well as ropes and chalk and days of food is a significantly different character than a level 2 Fighter who is broke and has no possessions and no clothes.

But the level 1 Fighter can overcome many more challenges. Yes, technically in the definition in the game he is still level 1, and the other guy is level 2, but if you would treat them that way in what challenges you present, which is the only meaningful use for level, then you are an idiot.
MGuy wrote:Yes, the way you're wording it makes it so that I can't straight up say X thing isn't leveling up because being higher level pretty much allows you to take on more challenges but so do many many other things you wouldn't really consider being a 'level up'.
Look, I really don't give a shit if you want to say "this item only counts as half a level up."

I am saying that if you design and balance the Challenges your PCs will face such that a character of a specific level is expected to face certain kinds of challenges without any magic items, and then you give him a pile of magic items that he cares about and actually uses, one of three things will happen:

1) You will have to give him challenges that were designed for a higher level character. Regardless of whether you call him a higher level character or not, or whether each item only adds .3 levels, you will have to give him fucking challenges that were designed to be challenging for a higher level PC instead of the old challenges designed for his current level, because they will be too easy.

2) You do give him the old challenges, and he uses the items to make them much easier, and he breezes through your game without a care in the world because useful magical items make him able to more easily overcome the challenges he otherwise would have faced challengingly.

3) You lied, and he doesn't use the items because they are not meaningful.

Those are the only three options.
1) Harder challenges than before.
2) Same challenges are easier.
3) Items do nothing.

Those are literally the only three possibilities, and quibbling about whether one specific item only adds .25 levels or .34 levels is stupid bullshit.

Here, the Wizard you gave an item of fly to hands it to the Fighter, who just gained the ability to bear new and harder challenges than he had before. LEVEL UP BY ITEMS! MGUY IS WRONG AS SHIT.

Now can you shut the fuck up or talk about something actually relevant?

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

FrankTrollman wrote:ACOS, the thing I think you're missing is that if unforeseen synergies cause an encounter to be too easy, then the encounter gets over and done with quickly and you move on to the next encounter. If something unforeseen causes an encounter to be too hard, it's not that simple. You have to do some sort of fail forward or take MC pity in the middle of the combat or something to keep the game from ending right then and there.
While this is true, DMs will always be tweaking the difficulty, and yes, it's better to start small than start large.

But even without magic items, you have to adapt to parties that are poorly optimized fighter/monk/barbarian versus a heavily optimized cleric/wizard/summoner. In the latter case, you're probably going to tone down the difficulty, in the other case, you're going to ramp up the challenges. And it's not like all monsters are perfectly balanced either.

The concept that some parties of level X happen to be above or below where the CR system says they should be isn't a new idea. Depending on player familiarity with the game, what splatbooks you're allowing and what terrain/monsters are present, there can be wide variety in what constitutes a difficult/easy encounter.

Eyeballing encounters is just something DMs have to do, and will still have to do, regardless of what you do with magic items.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Kaelik wrote:Those are the only three options.
3) Items do nothing.
There are also some dumb options:
4) Do easier challenges, which are now even easier.
5) Items make you worse, so you face easier challenges
6) Items make you worse, but you still face the same challenges, so the game gets harder
7) Items make you worse, and you face harder challenges, so you're just plain fucked

And some that aren't blatantly dumb:
8) Item powers temporarily suppress some of your other abilities, so you're a different character, but not necessarily stronger or weaker.
9) I had another thing here, but I forgot what it was.
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

RadiantPhoenix wrote: 5) Items make you worse, so you face easier challenges
6) Items make you worse, but you still face the same challenges, so the game gets harder
7) Items make you worse, and you face harder challenges, so you're just plain fucked
Ah, the design goals behind Weapons of Legacy.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

8) Item powers temporarily suppress some of your other abilities, so you're a different character, but not necessarily stronger or weaker.
Isn't this just "equip or unequip the item every round, depending on whether you want to use its powers or your own?"
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Laertes wrote:
Isn't this just "equip or unequip the item every round, depending on whether you want to use its powers or your own?"
Basically.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Laertes wrote:Isn't this just "equip or unequip the item every round, depending on whether you want to use its powers or your own?"
I was assuming there was some attunement time involved.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:
Laertes wrote:Isn't this just "equip or unequip the item every round, depending on whether you want to use its powers or your own?"
I don't think official dnd has any rules like that.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Wiseman wrote:
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
It doesn't, but we're talking possibilities.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

You could do it. I'm not a D&D player but I imagine something like the following would be possible:

Sword:
- Onequip: +2 to hit, -2 to damage for the next 24 hours whether or not you're wielding this sword. Does not stack with similar bonuses.
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

Wiseman wrote:
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
Well, it depends on the item. It's going to take time to change out of a suit of armor or swap one set of gloves for another. In most cases, it'll be one move action to take something off and another to put it on. And that doesn't count the action it takes to get it from your backpack or wherever its stored.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Laertes wrote:
You could do it. I'm not a D&D player but I imagine something like the following would be possible:

Sword:
- Onequip: +2 to hit, -2 to damage for the next 24 hours whether or not you're wielding this sword. Does not stack with similar bonuses.
That would probably lead to characters equipping the sword for it's bonuses and then putting it away to use the weapon that actually wanted to wield.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:There are also some dumb options:
No actually, none of those are options, because the actual statement was:

"I am saying that if you design and balance the Challenges your PCs will face such that a character of a specific level is expected to face certain kinds of challenges without any magic items, and then you give him a pile of magic items that he cares about and actually uses"

3 is not technically an option within the premises, but since it was originally stated as "You lied, and he doesn't use the items because they are not meaningful." Which is an acceptable thing to put when you are talking about a failure to meet premises.

Spoiler Alert: When you don't read the first part and only read the summary, you will sometimes say something irrelevant and dumb because you did not understand the point.

Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

That would probably lead to characters equipping the sword for it's bonuses and then putting it away to use the weapon that actually wanted to wield.
The item still does its desired effect; that is, it makes you "a different character, but not necessarily stronger or weaker." Even if you don't wield it.

In fact, there would be no advantage to connecting this to the sword itself. It would be better connected to an amulet or a special sword-polish or something like that.
Miryafa
Apprentice

Post by Miryafa »

Wiseman wrote:
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
Cursed weapons. You can't remove them*, so if they change your character, you're playing a new character.

*barring remove whatever, but I'm assuming you don't have access to it when you want to unequip the item.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Kaelik wrote:
MGuy wrote:The reason giving a character that already has an ability an additional use of the same ability is not allowing them to face new or harder challenges is the same reason you don't level up a character by giving them a scroll or an extra arrow to level them up. Yes a Wizard doesn't have to use a slot to cast 'fly' all over again but that doesn't change the encounters the wizard can take on.
A level 6 Wizard cannot take on new or harder challenges that a level 5 Wizard could take on. A level 6 Wizard mighty honestly straight up prepare the exact spells a level 5 Wizard would plus Fly.
Maybe so but the stats that the level 6 wizard has are better than the stats the level 5 wizard has. At this point I'm not sure what the hell you even mean by level if you're trying to say "level 6 wizard = level 5 wizard". If you're saying that in a game where you don't design 'enough' distinction between levels then differences between leveled characters will lack distinction I'd agree. However, at that point I doubt when you speak to most people about 'level' that they'd be on the same page as you. As I said the term is being used broadly such that your definition includes minor variances in character that most people wouldn't dub 'Higher level' at all.
MGuy wrote:The wizard's abilities haven't changed and any other ability the wizard could use to face any challenge he swapped out fly with is an ability he could've used in the first place.
So, he still got an extra spell slot. Which is the most important ability that you get for going up a level. As a Wizard. From 5-6.
It is not the only thing you get from leveling up and, again, most people wouldn't call it 'leveling up' if that's all you got period. They'd call it getting a scroll/wand/etc.
MGuy wrote:Level 11 sorcerers get bigger numbers than level 10 sorcerers. Their numbers go up in many different ways. Their CL increases, saves, skills, number of abilities, HP, etc. Getting an extra spell is only one of many things the Sorcerer gets for leveling.
It is the most important one. If you define level based on challenges able to be overcome, the extra spell known of the Sorcerer is the most important thing. Because it allows him to defeat new but not harder challenges. Because he leveled up.
That is a very big 'if' you're throwing around there. The way you're using the term defies the expectations of your common player. If you were just to toss around the idea that getting a scroll is equal to leveling up people would look at you funny. This goes double for giving someone infinite arrows or an animated length of rope. Those things are handy, to be sure, but most people wouldn't consider getting either of those as leveling up their character.
MGuy wrote:The way you're shaping what 'Higher Level' can mean is seriously making it so that having rope makes you a higher level person than someone who doesn't.
At level 1 your mundane gear is a significant part of what challenges you can and cannot overcome. Yes. That is true. A level 1 Fighter with Platemail, a Shield, and a Masterwork Sword, as well as ropes and chalk and days of food is a significantly different character than a level 2 Fighter who is broke and has no possessions and no clothes.

But the level 1 Fighter can overcome many more challenges. Yes, technically in the definition in the game he is still level 1, and the other guy is level 2, but if you would treat them that way in what challenges you present, which is the only meaningful use for level, then you are an idiot.
Well that's just it. Having equipment that gives you pluses is a different thing than having equipment like rope or chalk. You may put them on the same list but as far as a game like D+D goes having the gear that gives you actual factual bonuses in combat allow you specifically to take on harder challenges. I've never contested that having equipment that gives you bonuses helps you face higher level challenges, which is why I didn't list them but having rope and/or chalk would not be considered by most as helping you face higher level or even 'new' challenges. They are 'useful' no doubt but its not the same thing.
MGuy wrote:Yes, the way you're wording it makes it so that I can't straight up say X thing isn't leveling up because being higher level pretty much allows you to take on more challenges but so do many many other things you wouldn't really consider being a 'level up'.
Look, I really don't give a shit if you want to say "this item only counts as half a level up."

I am saying that if you design and balance the Challenges your PCs will face such that a character of a specific level is expected to face certain kinds of challenges without any magic items, and then you give him a pile of magic items that he cares about and actually uses, one of three things will happen:

1) You will have to give him challenges that were designed for a higher level character. Regardless of whether you call him a higher level character or not, or whether each item only adds .3 levels, you will have to give him fucking challenges that were designed to be challenging for a higher level PC instead of the old challenges designed for his current level, because they will be too easy.

2) You do give him the old challenges, and he uses the items to make them much easier, and he breezes through your game without a care in the world because useful magical items make him able to more easily overcome the challenges he otherwise would have faced challengingly.

3) You lied, and he doesn't use the items because they are not meaningful.

Those are the only three options.
3) Items do nothing.
I'll note that these are different than the dichotomy you brought up before. Earlier you said:
Kaelik wrote:If your characters can already complete all of the challenges 100% of the time but barely at whatever level without any magic items, then:

1) They can complete challenges they otherwise couldn't at their current level, in which case they are higher level.

2) They can't complete any new challenges, in which case the items are shit and no one cares about them.
Basically if you're just trying to say items either do things or they do nothing I can't disagree with that. What I'm arguing against is the dichotomy that you brought up. What you actually said here was that if items don't help the players complete challenges they otherwise couldn't that they are shit and no one cares about them. That's what I'm arguing against. That and the fact that the way you're using the terms allows Rope to count as a factor when considering how high a character's level is.

Firstly I'm just rejecting the idea that items have to either scale up the challenges you face or give you access to 'different' challenges to be useful. Second I'm saying that the way 'level' is being used doesn't mesh with what most people expect when you're referring to a character being 'higher level' than another. Higher level to most people usually means bigger numbers on their character sheet and new abilities. Perhaps better wording needs to be used but I don't think that an interpretation that allows having rope or chalk is useful.
Those are literally the only three possibilities, and quibbling about whether one specific item only adds .25 levels or .34 levels is stupid bullshit.
I don't give a shit if you want to shift your statements so that you can quantify your meaning of leveling up by making up something I didn't say or imply then applying it to what you've been saying. I not only never called or implied that having a rope or an infinite arrow quiver as being some kind of 'partial' level up but, I in fact, have been saying that while they are 'useful' they do not count as leveling you up at all. So saying I'm quibbling over .X increase in power is not only an obvious lie but it is just you justifying your position. You might as well have straight up said that that is what YOU are actually wanting to classify what you're talking about as instead of trying to throw it on me for no reason.
Here, the Wizard you gave an item of fly to hands it to the Fighter, who just gained the ability to bear new and harder challenges than he had before. LEVEL UP BY ITEMS! MGUY IS WRONG AS SHIT.

I don't know why you would even bring this up. Yes if you completely change the conditions I spoke of into something completely and utterly different the outcome is different. My point was that if you give someone who can already fly another way to fly that you aren't opening up new challenges for them nor are you enabling them to face harder challenges. Yes if you give a flight to someone who has no ability to fly they can face new flight based challenges. My only question is why would you even bring that up when I never argued against it?
Last edited by MGuy on Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

MGuy wrote:That is a very big 'if' you're throwing around there. The way you're using the term defies the expectations of your common player. If you were just to toss around the idea that getting a scroll is equal to leveling up people would look at you funny. This goes double for giving someone infinite arrows or an animated length of rope. Those things are handy, to be sure, but most people wouldn't consider getting either of those as leveling up their character.
alksjdhfkjashlfkdjashjfdklashfdkljdshflkjashjdfkomashbdgfjklhasdkglashdbflkjasdfklajsdhfkljasdhflkjdamsfhlaoksjdfhkjzlASDHfo

Stop being an idiot. Please stop.

We are talking about balancing players against challenges. I don't give two fucking shits what you think players call or do not call leveling up. No one at any point ever is talking about leveling the fuck up.

If you have a general statement in your game, that says "A level X character, should be facing the following Y challenges" of any kind or form, so don't fucking nitpick this you shitbag, and then you have the fucking PCs obtain items that do not suck and actually do anything at all of any kind even remotely, even if they just allow them to climb things, even if they just allow them to fly more time, or fly and cast one more spell. Even if it is "just" a Pearl of Power of their highest level spell slot, then that item makes them capable of:

1) Beating harder challenges.
2) Beating New challenges.

Even if the New challenge is just "everything I did yesterday, and also something else that someone else of my level could do yesterday."

Therefore, once you have given them those items, the statement "this specific character should be facing the following Y challenges" is factually wrong, because that character is now going to face the following Z challenges, which are greater than Y.
MGuy wrote:Well that's just it. Having equipment that gives you pluses is a different thing than having equipment like rope or chalk. You may put them on the same list but as far as a game like D+D goes having the gear that gives you actual factual bonuses in combat allow you specifically to take on harder challenges.
So in other words, this ability is a perfectly acceptable ability that does not make a character higher level in any way at all:

"The character holding this item can cast Gate at will" since it doesn't add any combat bonuses. Or hey, "Gate at will, but the creates cannot take attack actions or cast spells that target a creature." Eliminates most buffs and offensive spells, but by no means all. But hey, it doesn't increase their numbers in combat, so totally not something that makes someone act as a higher level character at all...
MGuy wrote:rope and/or chalk would not be considered by most as helping you face higher level or even 'new' challenges. They are 'useful' no doubt but its not the same thing.
They obviously and trivially help you overcome new challenges. The Wall you could not scale can now be scaled. You can overcome a challenge you could not before. That is in fact, the very definition of an item helping you overcome new challenges.
MGuy wrote:I'll note that these are different than the dichotomy you brought up before.
I'll note that they are literally the same fucking dichotomy I presented earlier, where one and three are the same exact fucking things from before, and I added "Also you can beat down previous challenges without them being challenging because they are now easier."

You literally just told me that the things I typed are magically different from the same exact things from earlier.
MGuy wrote:Second I'm saying that the way 'level' is being used doesn't mesh with what most people expect when you're referring to a character being 'higher level' than another.
And I'm saying that no in the entire universe who isn't an idiot gives a flying fuck what people mean when they talk about their character being higher level when we non idiots, IE not you, are talking about designing fucking challenges for characters, so we only care if the advice for how many challenges of what difficulty you give PCs is accurate or not.
MGuy wrote:

I don't know why you would even bring this up. Yes if you completely change the conditions I spoke of into something completely and utterly different the outcome is different. My point was that if you give someone who can already fly another way to fly that you aren't opening up new challenges for them nor are you enabling them to face harder challenges. Yes if you give a flight to someone who has no ability to fly they can face new flight based challenges. My only question is why would you even bring that up when I never argued against it?
You fucking idiot.

You complete moron.

You dumbest shit who ever lived.

Please just never post again for as long as you live.

You fucking said, your stupid fucking example of giving a fucking Wizard who can cast fly a item that casts fly as an item that doesn't level people up because it doesn't give them new abilities, just more fireballs, so they do more damage, so they can defeat harder challenges.

Now obviously, giving a Wizard, more fireballs, allows them to beat harder challenges, so you are an idiot, and wrong.

But on top of that, you specific example was giving a Wizard an item that casts fly. Since you probably aren't designing and RPG meant to be played by one person, there is absolutely nothing at all that prevents that fucking Wizard from handing the item to some other character who can't fly, who will then, have more fucking abilities from gaining a fucking ability he previously did not have, from your item.

That is the fucking point.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Honestly, I don't really see the problem with switching out your equipment on the fly, just have it take like a full round action so there's an opportunity cost involved, after all if you're not attacking your opponent isn't dying and you're not defending yourself, so there's a trade off but not a big one.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.