[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 48 - Moonrunner

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

Though you try your best not to offend the grave robbers, Hogg takes your refusal to drink as an insult. "Suit yourself," he snaps, "but I can see this is not goin' to be a particularly harmonious partnership. Therefore, I'm obliged to charge yer another two shinies, fer wear and tear on Mister Kilmarnet' sensibilities. Now, we have some arrangements to make, palms to grease an' the like. So, if yer'll just give us our money, we'll meet yer at the cemetery in half an hour."

If you pay the fee, cross 8 Gold Pieces off your Adventure Sheet and turn to 374. But if you cannot or will not pay Hogg just yet, turn to 28.
Willie Johnson, Private Dick, Liberator of the Insane, the Merciful

Skill 11/11
Stamina 21/21
Luck 09/10
Gear: Sword, backpack, clothing, Inmate's Locket, 2 Provisions, 30 Golds
Skills: Acrobatics, Climb, Disguise, Lockpicking.
Special:
- may visit Alcham Lugosh at Priestsgate by turning to page 64 (SPOILER: it sucked)
- Freed the inmates of Craven Asylum
- Rotkod
- Lishek's Warning
- Kehsil

Death Count: 1
- Drowned in the embrace of a dozen corpses at the doorstep of Alcham Lugosh.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We have the cash, why not? Pay them. If they drop out now we'd have wasted time here.

EDIT: Actually, wait, scratch that, these are excatly the kind of guys who'll not show up after taking your money. Pay them AFTER the job is done. Say no.
Last edited by SGamerz on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Zero trust. Zero.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Don't pay until after the job's done.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Not wishing to give Hogg the wrong impression, you tell him, slowly and distinctly, that you wouldn't trust him as far as you can spit! He'll get the money after the job is done, and not a penny before. "I'm gravely hurt by yer lack of faith in Mister Kilmarney," Hogg replies, "but a deal's a deal. We'll go do the necessary, then meet you outside the graveyard in half an hour." You agree, then hurry out of the Three Broken Fingers, surprised to find yourself still in good health.

You reach the tall gates of Meinster Cemetary with minutes to spare. If you wish, and only if you have the proper costume and Special Skill, you may use the time to disguise yourself as a Vampire: turn to 364. Otherwise, turn to 38.
Fat lot of good Disguise is here!
The bodysnatchers prove to be true to their word: they arrive, some time later, bearing apades. Hogg greets you, then leads you through the gloomy cemetery to an unmarked grave: "Yer skull is hidden in a tomb, built, so legend has it, by an ancient warrior who returns every hundred years. The door to the tomb lies beneath this mound - but I warn yer, we'll not go down there with yer. We've heard some fearful noises comin' from that place."

They set to work and soon dig quite a good-sized hole. "Gah! pants Hogg. "I can't go any further. Me sinews are bulgin' with exertion. We need rest, but there'll be no delay if yer help us out." If you pick up a spade, turn to 98; but if you are content to wait until they get their strength back, turn to 202.
"Move those shovels!"

Skill 11/11
Stamina 21/21
Luck 09/10
Special:
- may visit Alcham Lugosh at Priestsgate by turning to page 64 (SPOILER: it sucked)
- Rotkod
- Lishek's Warning
- Kehsil

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We're paying them good money for the manual labour, let them do all the work. I don't see them offering us back half the money to do their work for them.

Wait it out.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

If we dig for them, they'll try to bury us alive. If we don't, we probably lose some time.

Risking some lost time is better than risking an autodeath, methinks.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Wait for them to finish.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Hogg frowns, "Now, look! Seein' as yer refusin' to lend a friendly hand to the venture, I feel I should remind yer that we only helped yer find the skull. We didn't enter into any agreement specifyin' that we should fetch it fer yer as well. Therefore, I t'ink it only fair, given Mister Kilmarney's delicate constitution, that I should charge yer two extra shinies fer labour costs. Indeed, we won't go any further unless yer pay us right now!"

Will you agree to settle your account with the grave robbers (turn to 98) or simply tell Hogg to get back to work (turn to 113)?
I'm going to assume that you're going to tell them to fuck right off.
Mister Hogg lifts his spade in a menacing fashion, shakes his head and murmurs, "Now I do not t'ink yer wanted to say that." He steps forward, while Mister Kilmarney picks up his spade and runs round behind you. You must fight them both at the same time.

MISTER HOGG Skill 6 Stamina 9
MISTER KILMARNEY Skill 7 Stamina 10

After 2 rounds of combat, turn to 285.
Round 1
MISTER HOGG 18 (7/9 Stamina)
MISTER KILMARNEY 14(10/10 Stamina)
WILLIE 19 (21/21 Stamina)

Round 1
MISTER HOGG 9 (9/9 Stamina)
MISTER KILMARNEY 12 (8/10 Stamina)
WILLIE 14 (21/21 Stamina)
FIGHT. Also, Kilmarney's faster and tougher than Hogg, that fat little rodent's been feeding us a line of BS all the way.
Slipping a drug into somebody's drink or coshing them from behind is something the graverobbers are used to; a fair fight is something they're definitely not! You only have to put up the slightest resistance before the body-snatchers break off the attack. "Who would'a t'ought that our amicable partnership would'a fallen to this?" puffs Hogg. "Yer can't trust nobody these days, nobody. Show some mercy, yer swine! Mister Kilmarney is fit to drop." Will you let the rogues be (turn to 98) or deal with them once and for all (turn to 123)?
In the interests of avoiding bullshit confirmation padding, I'll assume that you do not, in fact, want to let them go.
The body-snatchers realize that you're still ready to put up a ight, so they make a run for it. You consider giving chase but stop when you notice a stone hatch at the bottom of the grave - the rogues had finished the job! The hatch opens up on to a descending stairway, and a reek of decay wafts up from the tomb to meet you; however, you ignore it and follow the steps down to a short corridor. light from the open grave reveals that the corridor ends at three doors. A draught blows under the north door, while a quiet squeaking sound comes from behind the west door. Which door will you open:

The north door? (turn to 386)
The east door? (turn to 141)
The west door? (turn to 17)

Skill 11/11
Stamina 21/21
Luck 09/10
Special:
- Rotkod
- Lishek's Warning
- Kehsil

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Draught possibly mean some alternate exit to the outside. What we're looking for should be sealed in with only one entry, methinks.

Take the quiet door (east).
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Solid thinking. I agree.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

East sounds good.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

You enter a large vault to find the Skull of Mora Tao, resting on a black marble pedestal. You shiver. The horned skull has teeth like the edge of a saw, its bottom jaw is missing and its eye-sockets are the very vision of death. You dread to think what manner of creature the skull must once have been part of! Roll four dice and add the numbers rolled together. If the total is equal to or less than your current Stamina score, turn to 171. If the total is higher than your current Stamina score, turn to 196.
We get a 15, which is lower.
You step forward and pick up the skull, but just as you turn, and are about to leave the vault you find your way barred by an ageing warrior! "Give me the skull," he wheezes hysterically. "I must have it. I built this tomb to protect it, and I have returned every hundred years to feed it, in return for life. If I am to stay alive, I must have the skull now!"

If you give the skull to the ancient warrior, turn to 79; but if you refuse turn to 216.

Skill 11/11
Stamina 21/21
Luck 09/10
Special:
- Rotkod
- Lishek's Warning
- Kehsil

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I kind of sympathise with this guy, but if he needs it to stay alive, he's sure as hell not giving it back to us. We need the quest item.

Leave him to rot - literally.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Unfortunately for the skeletal warrior, it's him or us, so I have to go with us.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Fuck old geezers! (no, not literally)
Clutching his face, the warrior drops to his knees: "Please... the skull!" But you keep a firm grip on the artefact and merely step out of the man's way. When he next looks up at you, his skin is taut, his eyes are rheumy, and his jaw is trembling uncontrollably. He falls forward and his flesh withers away, until all that remains is dust. The skull is yours. Somehow, you know the cursed Ward will give you eternal life in return for feeding on your spirit. If, in future, you are told that the skull wants your spirit, follow the instructions; but note that you may not eat any Provisions until after you have fed the skull. You may throw the skull away at any time by simply crossing it off your Adventure Sheet. Now, you must make your way back up to the graveyard. If the word "Daednu" is written on your Adventure Sheet, turn to 315; otherwise, add 3 Hours and return to 200.
Time tracker: 3/9.

Now, where will we go next:
Kiennar's Curiosity Shop? (turn to 340)
The Shrine of Belthegor? (turn to 334)
Gustav Hollman's Chamber of Horrors? (turn to 10)
The Olde Gaol? (turn to 385)
Gallows Square? (turn to 245)

Skill 11/11
Stamina 21/21
Luck 09/10
Special:
- Rotkod
- Lishek's Warning
- Kehsil
- The Skull of Mora Tao

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Chamber of Horrors sounds FUN!

Let's go there.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Creepy book is creepy.
Chamber of Horrors.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Starmaker wrote:Creepy book is creepy.
Well, yeah....
angelfromanotherpin wrote:Everything in this book is a horror movie reference
Speaking of which, I'm really disappointed that you guys missed the (recurring) encounters with this book's Jason Voorhees parody earlier. :P
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Cue '50s horror music.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Chamber of Horrors sounds good.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

The Cross Keys area of Blackhaven is also known as the "square of delights:, for it is richly populated with dubious places of "entertainment". None of these dens of vice is more disreputable than Gustav Hollmann's Chamber of Horrors, an ever-popular waxworks devoted to the macabre. According to Van Heldenghast, most of Hollmann's exhibits are simple models; but one, the Angevin Shroud, is the Ward you seek. At present, the entrance to the Chamber of Horrors is crammed with eager sightseers, all fighting to get in through the double doors at the same time. If you wish to use this confusion to try and sneak into the waxworks without paying, turn to 341. If you would rather wait your turn in the queue, cross 3 Gold Pieces off your Adventure Sheet and turn to 130. But if you have gone off the idea of entering this ghoulish place, add 1 Hour and return to 200.
Oh lord, more padding. I mean, we're clearly going in, it's just a question of how...

Tell you what, since the sneaky option only works if we actually have Sneak (we don't) and they both take you to the same reference anyway, in the interests of moving things along...
You plunge into the middle of the heaving mass of bodies and wait until the flustered doorman is busy with someone else, then you make your move. If you have the Sneak Special Skill, you manage to worm your way inside without a hitch (turn to 130). But if you do not have this Special Skill, you find yourself being collared by the doorman. "Now, now. That'll be three shinies." If you pay the admission fee, cross 3 Gold Pieces off your Adventure Sheet and turn to 130. if you refuse, you will have to leave - add 1 hour and return to 200.
Cha-ching.
Inside, you join a guided tour of the exhibits, conducted by Gustav Hollmann himself. Sadly, the proprietor proves to be something of a disappointment: his patter isn't up to much. His exhibits, though liberally daubed with red paint, have all seen better days, too. Still, everyone else seems happy. One tourist in particular is keen to impress his lady. "See that vampire? Nothing! Me, I'd just shove a pair of corks on his fangs."

Then you come to the Angevin Shroud. This white cloth hangs down from a guillotine some six metres tall. Even Hollmann seems unimpressed with this exhibit, as he gives a brief history: "A once-normal shroud - used to wrap the beheaded body of a Necrophage, at the fallen city of Angevin - now possessed of miraculous powers. Let us move on." Will you follow Hollmann and attempt to buy the shroud from him, once the tour is complete (turn to 78) or hang back and try to steal the shroud (turn to 154)?
Now, this is more of a choice.

Skill 11/11
Stamina 21/21
Luck 09/10
Gear: Sword, backpack, clothing, Inmate's Locket, 2 Provisions, 27 Golds
Special:
- Rotkod
- Lishek's Warning
- Kehsil
- The Skull of Mora Tao

Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We don't have the special skill for Sneaking. Pay our way in.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

True enoguh, which is why I edited my post. Now, buy or steal?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

If he's uninterested in it we should probably just buy it off of him.