FUCKING FINALLY: Atlas Shrugged Trailer

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

FUCKING FINALLY: Atlas Shrugged Trailer

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

Yeah, remember that kickstarter they had forever ago? I guess it worked.

Check this shit out

Fucking shit. It's like they aren't even aware black people exist (note: everyone in the perfect world is white in the trailer) or that women can speak. Also, special guest appearance by Ron Paul.

Sorry if this isn't news to everyone, but I'm so excited. This is a real thing that is happening!
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Isn't relying on kickstarter anathema to Objectivists?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Re: FUCKING FINALLY: Atlas Shrugged Trailer

Post by Koumei »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:It's like they aren't even aware black people exist (note: everyone in the perfect world is white in the trailer) or that women can speak.
That's pretty much evident based on the actual things they support. It doesn't take a movie trailer to reveal that.

And Laertes: they totally support "other people giving them money for something they may or may not end up releasing". They're just less likely to keep to their promises afterwards instead of running off with all the cash.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Re: FUCKING FINALLY: Atlas Shrugged Trailer

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

Koumei wrote:
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:It's like they aren't even aware black people exist (note: everyone in the perfect world is white in the trailer) or that women can speak.
That's pretty much evident based on the actual things they support. It doesn't take a movie trailer to reveal that.

And Laertes: they totally support "other people giving them money for something they may or may not end up releasing". They're just less likely to keep to their promises afterwards instead of running off with all the cash.
Most people will at least photoshop any minority at all into their shots, or let more than just 1 woman (who is also the MAIN CHARACTER) have a speaking role.

Then again, they did have their protagonist get referred to as "the only thing I want in life." I used to suspect Randian folks were just into the economic wank, but that is some weird stuff in the trailer.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So here's a weird tangent: of course the thing that people (well, intelligent people) mean when they say "(so and so) is the only thing I want in life," is that they would be perfectly content if they had nothing and no one but that person.

What's a better way to phrase that as a simple sentence so as to not imply the person you supposedly love is an object?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

"All I need in life" would seem to work acceptably.
-JM
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ah, of course.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Subject vs Object. The word they wanted was "one", substitution to "the only one I want in life". But there's lots of ways to talk a person like they're a person, traditionally by using their name, or a pronoun. "She is all I want in life." Even better, "You are all I want, $name."
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

The only carbon based life form I want in life.

I read the reviews and laughed. Some critic somewhere pointed out the irony; the free market decided how well these movies would do and the answer was terribly. Rand would be so proud.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

The trailer has a disturbing lack of Greek mythology and gigantic planet-carrying Titans.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

hyzmarca wrote:The trailer has a disturbing lack of Greek mythology and gigantic planet-carrying Titans.
Yeah, they should have just made it a disaster movie by taking the title literally.