[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i can live just fine without NFC and wireless charging . .
a cable is always better. more stable, more secure, usually cheaper and easier as well . .
ESPECIALLY if the wireless stuff has a reach of only centimeters and so does not even offer an advantage over a CABLE that's a few centimeters long <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Stahlseele wrote:i can live just fine without NFC and wireless charging . .
a cable is always better. more stable, more secure, usually cheaper and easier as well . .
ESPECIALLY if the wireless stuff has a reach of only centimeters and so does not even offer an advantage over a CABLE that's a few centimeters long <.<
A few centimeters actually enables some pretty great stuff.

One idea that comes to mind: the tabletop you plop all the stuff in your pockets down on when you get home charges the stuff you plop on it.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i have a cable always connected just for that on my desk which does the same thing. and another on my bed as well. wireless stuff is only at an advantage if the distances are too big/inconvenient to cover via cable. otherwise wireless will always lose out to wired connections.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Maybe if you switched to wireless, you could use the time you save on plugging and unplugging to capitalize some of your sentences.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Stahlseele wrote:i have a cable always connected just for that on my desk which does the same thing. and another on my bed as well. wireless stuff is only at an advantage if the distances are too big/inconvenient to cover via cable. otherwise wireless will always lose out to wired connections.
I don't know about you but my family has more devices that need charging than they have outlets by the table that everyone dumps their pockets on when they get home.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I'm a nerd. I have more than enough outlets to charge the toys of everybody i know, even if they all were to come here at the same time <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Koumei wrote:Oh right, the thing for instant payments, and the "BE FRIGHTENED OF TEENAGERS, YOUNG ADULTS, TECHNOLOGY AND YOUR NEIGHBOURS" show did a thing about how easy it is for ANYONE to steal your money and identity with it.
NFC transactions can be made more secure than standard card swipes, since card swipes are vulnerable to malicious merchants and modified hardware. The simple expedience of appending the transaction number to the information and then encrypting it with an asymmetric key would make all forms of interception useless, since the number would be useful for only that particular transaction.

Sadly, many payment systems don't implement encryption and your account number is sent plain text over the air.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, but this show mainly exists to frighten the middle-aged. So they went on about how someone else could have their device near yours and use it to make purchases from your phone to their account without you having to do anything like authorise the actual transaction. It's a fearmongering show.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Koumei wrote:Yeah, but this show mainly exists to frighten the middle-aged. So they went on about how someone else could have their device near yours and use it to make purchases from your phone to their account without you having to do anything like authorise the actual transaction. It's a fearmongering show.
No. What they do is send out a request to your device as if it were a merchant terminal and then, in poorly implemented systems, it sends out your account number plaintext. And then they use your card number to make purchases at online store or over the phone.

Authorizing purchases is a red herring. The problem is automatically broadcasting your card number as plaintext when it receives a certain signal.

The simplest and most dangerous NFC crack involves just walking around a store with a device that constantly broadcasts the "I"M a POS terminal, tell me your number" signal.

Once they have your number they go home and make a fake account on a eCommerce site that doesn't use credit card address verification (or one that does if your wallet program also sends your address, but I don't know why it would).
Last edited by hyzmarca on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Sounds like exactly the kind of thing a young person would say to keep us vulnerable!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Right, so it's not a smart move to use it, but just because your phone has the capability, that doesn't mean teenagers are going to steal your moneys and your identity and then do bank jobs and drug deals that you'll get arrested for (because they have your ID).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Koumei wrote:Right, so it's not a smart move to use it, but just because your phone has the capability, that doesn't mean teenagers are going to steal your moneys and your identity and then do bank jobs and drug deals that you'll get arrested for (because they have your ID).
It does mean exactly that. Nevar evar rely on banks, cellphone providers or cellphone manufacturers to not opt you in for some insecure shit.

I've had $1000 stolen in exactly this way: a "mobile banking" service by means of which one can send SMS messages and empty one's account. When I was applying for a mandatory debit card at my job, they have provided a sample application form with "please sign me up for paid SMS scams" checked. I didn't check it. They opted me in anyway, I had to waste a day opting out in person. At some point over the years, they opted me in again - tellers get $7 per signup. And it turns out the fact that a certain number is signed up for the scam service can be seen by a grunt worker in a cellphone provider's outlet. So the flyby workers can check the sim cards they currently sell against the database, or apply for a reissue of a sim card supposedly on behalf of a client, activate it, and steal all the money. Which is exactly what happened to me, and the bank refused to return my money. This being the 'default' bank with a 60%+ market share and a literal monopoly beyond the Urals, I'm lucky to have lost only $1000 - people have lost their life savings (because the only other option was to keep the money in cash in a mattress).

(Due to a continuing dire financial situation, I had to apply for a reissue of that insecure card. I am going to write "I hereby expressly forbid you to sign me up for any remote services" on the margin of the application and hope it'll hold up in court.)

As for the "steal your identity" part - this may be different in Australia, but swatting in the US is no joke and can actually get you shot and killed. And being suspected of software piracy on flimsy evidence can get you swatted. Fuck NFC.

edit: typo
Last edited by Starmaker on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

In other News:
German Bang Bang still impressive.
I'm not a gun nut, but this is one sexy design O.o
http://www.pascaleggert.de/ThorA1.html
http://www.pascaleggert.de/EPIC_overview.html
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Are... are those for real?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Shrapnel wrote:Are... are those for real?
Since that is from a product designer's site, I'd say "no".
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Shrapnel wrote:Are... are those for real?
The SIS-Barrel uses four high-powered superconducting electromagnets to change
the projectiles trajectory mid-air, as it leaves the weapon, to always hit your target,
even if you’re not on target.
What do you think?
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Well, excuse me for only looking at the pictures and not reading the text.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Some of the technologies mentioned are real. EXACTO guided bullets, for example, are being developed by DARPA. Prototypes have already been fired. They're expected to be ready by 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX8Z2MDYX3g

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EXACTO

The Thor is almost plausible, though extremely over engineered.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The designer should quit military engineering and get a job with a video game company (or not quit, but do freelance, more job stability). The Thor is cool looking, but I doubt it'd ever be seen on a battlefield inside the next century, fifty years at soonest.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

If you want high capacity and good looks, grab an AR-57 upper instead. It drops onto a standard AR lower, has the simple action and nice mag of a P-90, and is cheaper than grabbing a P-90. You could probably even drop it onto an M-4 lower, if you wanted to.

Finding cheap 5.7x28 is a little rough, but the kick is much, much nicer and it jams less often.

http://www.57center.com/
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Prak_Anima wrote:The designer should quit military engineering and get a job with a video game company (or not quit, but do freelance, more job stability).
Funny that you say it, because that's Pascal Eggert of Crytek. Which may or may not be going bankrupt soonish.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Har. Ok, maybe he should start sending his resume to vidya game companies then.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So Bandai released a Sailor Moon wallet for the 20th anniversary:

TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

That is an unfortunate picture...
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Prak_Anima wrote:So Bandai released a Sailor Moon wallet for the 20th anniversary:
I need 7.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.