[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I think they're just trying everything they can think of to get all of Koumei's money.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Well, it's for putting something in that will make many happy neh? O.o
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Prak_Anima wrote:So Bandai released a Sailor Moon wallet for the 20th anniversary:
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

This sounds interesting: supposedly, scientists have found some sort of gender-bending genes in mice. ("DMRT1" and "FOXL2", whatever the fuck that means)

What do y'all know about this?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i know that there are certain animals that can and will switch gender based on needs for fornication . . i did not know that these same genes are to be found outside these species . . but considering that we have a not insignificant genetic similarity to all matter of things, that probably should not come as such a surprise to me i guess . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
erik
King

Post by erik »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:This sounds interesting: supposedly, scientists have found some sort of gender-bending genes in mice. ("DMRT1" and "FOXL2", whatever the fuck that means)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMRT1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forkhead_box_L2

Basically genes that are involved in gender selection during early development. The way most genetic discoveries are made is by knocking out various genes so that they no longer function and then seeing what happens. In this case, when these genes get knocked out it strongly affects gender development.

Presumably a gene on the X or Y chromosome regulates the expression of these genes.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

erik wrote:
RadiantPhoenix wrote:This sounds interesting: supposedly, scientists have found some sort of gender-bending genes in mice. ("DMRT1" and "FOXL2", whatever the fuck that means)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMRT1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forkhead_box_L2

Basically genes that are involved in gender selection during early development. The way most genetic discoveries are made is by knocking out various genes so that they no longer function and then seeing what happens. In this case, when these genes get knocked out it strongly affects gender development.

Presumably a gene on the X or Y chromosome regulates the expression of these genes.
The news article said that this discovery was different because it worked in adult mice.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Not sure if this is non politic or not but:
http://deepcor.com/news/1230/fox-news-a ... -americans
What the fuck?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Stahlseele wrote:Not sure if this is non politic or not but:
http://deepcor.com/news/1230/fox-news-a ... -americans
What the fuck?
Dumbass from that article wrote:We should have been profiling on September 12, 2001. Let's take a trip down memory lane here: the last war this country won, we put Japanese-Americans in internment camps. We dropped nuclear bombs on residential city centers. Yes, profiling would be at least a good start.
I guess it's hard to learn the lessons of history when you think all the bad parts of it were actually good. I'm surprised he didn't have anything in there about gassing them once they've been put in the camps.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

What's sadder, the fact that it's fake or the fact that so many took something so obviously fake at face value?

On the bring side, a quick google search for polymastia has foud a woman who had four fully functional natural lactating breasts, but had the extras removed because they were painful.

Of course, extra breasts aren't going to appear in the middle of the chest because that's not where th milk lines are. The majority I've found are located in the armpits for some reason.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Well, milk glands are modified sweat glands. You'd expect them to be in vertical lines down like other mammals, but I guess that's
evolution for you.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I immediately discounted that story as a fake, and something I would likely soon see in one of Cracked's increasingly regular "Times news outlets fucked up" lists. One of the first things that set off my bullshit-sense was that she was said to have gotten plastic surgery to appear less attractive, and chose something that in every fictional incarnation has been treated as more attractive.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

schpeelah wrote:Well, milk glands are modified sweat glands. You'd expect them to be in vertical lines down like other mammals, but I guess that's
evolution for you.
The milk line runs up and down the body from the arm pits to the groin, with most of the line running straight up and down from the nipples. Extra nipples can be anywhere on the line, but are usually no more than a minor cosmetic issue if they are anywhere but the joints. So groin and arm pit extra nipples get more attention than chest or abdomen extra nipples.

-Username17
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Prak_Anima wrote:One of the first things that set off my bullshit-sense was that she was said to have gotten plastic surgery to appear less attractive, and chose something that in every fictional incarnation has been treated as more attractive.
I don't know about anyone else, but I would find a three-breasted woman pretty unappealing.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

RobbyPants wrote:
Dumbass from that article wrote:We should have been profiling on September 12, 2001. Let's take a trip down memory lane here: the last war this country won, we put Japanese-Americans in internment camps. We dropped nuclear bombs on residential city centers. Yes, profiling would be at least a good start.
I guess it's hard to learn the lessons of history when you think all the bad parts of it were actually good.
It's also a more than a bit weird to hear a wingnut admit that we lost all of the following:
  • Korean Conflict,
  • War on Poverty,
  • Vietnam War,
  • Libya - El Dorado Canyon,
  • Grenada,
  • Panama,
  • The Cold War
  • Kuwait / Iraq - Desert Shield / Storm,
  • Battle of Mogadishu
  • Kosovo War - Noble Anvil
  • Afghanistan - Enduring Freedom
  • Iraq (again)- Iraqi Freedom
  • Libya (again) - Freedom Falcon
Because even I myself am not quite that pessimistic.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Shrapnel wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I would find a three-breasted woman pretty unappealing.
Yeah, virtually every time I've seen references to such it's pretty clearly intended as cheerfully absurd.
bears fall, everyone dies
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

FrankTrollman wrote:
schpeelah wrote:Well, milk glands are modified sweat glands. You'd expect them to be in vertical lines down like other mammals, but I guess that's
evolution for you.
The milk line runs up and down the body from the arm pits to the groin, with most of the line running straight up and down from the nipples. Extra nipples can be anywhere on the line, but are usually no more than a minor cosmetic issue if they are anywhere but the joints. So groin and arm pit extra nipples get more attention than chest or abdomen extra nipples.

-Username17
Of course, an extra breast doesn't necessarily have a nipple. Without the extra nipple the extra mammary gland would likely remain unnoticed until the woman begins lactating, at which point it would swell uncomfortably.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Remember the Heartbleed security vulnerability? We just got one that's worse. It's being called "Shellshock".

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/26/techn ... icant.html

It's definitely worse than Heartbleed, but the damage isn't going to be immediately obvious like Heartbleed was. It will probably take a very long time for the damage to become apparent.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... round.html

Fox News is stuffed to the gill full of boobs as it is. Why, there's Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly and...
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/scie ... es-on-men/
reading the article, i am bracing for impact from feminist screeches of outrage over this.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Why? Feminism isn't anti-men, it's pro-women. They would no more decry test tube testes than vat-grown vaginas.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Stahlseele wrote:http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/scie ... es-on-men/
reading the article, i am bracing for impact from feminist screeches of outrage over this.
Were you always a crazy misogynist and I just never noticed, or is this new?
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

name_here wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/scie ... es-on-men/
Were you always a crazy misogynist and I just never noticed, or is this new?
Yeah it is confusing.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.