Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I'm trying to make a D&D 3.5 character. A wizard, specializing either in illusions or necromancy (the part without raising the dead).

Problems:
-I've never played 3.5 before
-3.5 has a loooooot of books

Where should I be looking? Are there some good builds I can check? Is illusionist or necromancer a good idea?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Longes wrote:I'm trying to make a D&D 3.5 character. A wizard, specializing either in illusions or necromancy (the part without raising the dead).

Problems:

Where should I be looking? Are there some good builds I can check? Is illusionist or necromancer a good idea?
You can potentially make a pretty good illusionist just from the PHB. The thing about DnD illusions is that people get will saves when they "interact" with an illusion, which is vaguely defined. Depending on your DM, people looking at an illusion might get no save, one save, or one per round.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

Just take 20 levels of Beguiler instead. It's an illusion/enchantment wizard except better and super beginner friendly. You don't have to worry about picking the right spell, because you have automatic access to your entire spell list at all times. No dumpster diving needed, the class just has everything out of the box.

Class is from the players handbook II.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

What level are you, Longes? You can pretty much play a straight illusionist at the low levels, but there are a few hiccups with the whole 'specializing in illusions' thing.
  • As name_here mentioned, the power of illusions varies wildly. I've seen it become completely useless and I've seen it completely trivialize encounters. Often at the same session.
  • Illusions don't scale very well conceptually. Silent image does almost all of the things you want out of Major Image. Nearly every other specialty scales pretty smoothly so that there's a reason to keep investing. The exception is the Shadow subschool, with the problems discussed in the next bullet point.
  • The Shadow subschool has to be the most brokeity broke thing that people allow into their games ever. It's so fucking broken that various exploits that raise the percent real chance above 100% are less idiotic and game-breaking than keeping it below 100%. I feel dirty the few times I used it for anything other than melee damage. The weird thing is that shadow magic seems to be one of the few occasions where rule negative two is persistently waived; which is stupid, because if there's one rule effect that deserves to be rule negative two'd, it's this one. Nonetheless, its power varies wildly at individual tables.
Personally, I love playing illusionists but it's one of those things that I'd never ever play or recommend for a group I don't know the dynamics of. If I was flying blind and I had to drop a school of magic that wasn't abjuration or evocation, it'd be illusion.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:The Shadow subschool has to be the most brokeity broke thing that people allow into their games ever. It's so fucking broken that various exploits that raise the percent real chance above 100% are less idiotic and game-breaking than keeping it below 100%. I feel dirty the few times I used it for anything other than melee damage. The weird thing is that shadow magic seems to be one of the few occasions where rule negative two is persistently waived; which is stupid, because if there's one rule effect that deserves to be rule negative two'd, it's this one. Nonetheless, its power varies wildly at individual tables.
Please, do elaborate.

No level. I'm just making a character, and thinking if I have the time to joing a roll20 game.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Longes wrote:I'm trying to make a D&D 3.5 character. A wizard, specializing either in illusions or necromancy (the part without raising the dead).

Problems:

In general, a good source for any 3.5 class is minmaxboards.com's list of handbooks. I enjoy reading them as they outline the pros and cons of each class and suggested builds pretty well. I'll second the beguiler as it's pretty good out of the box. The beguiler's handbook is here. If you don't feel like book diving, just use dndtools.eu (just google 'class/spell/feat name' + dndtools and you'll probably get it if it's not on the srd).

Also, I think this should be in IMHO.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

radthemad4 wrote:Also, I think this should be in IMHO.
It definitely should be. I thought it was... :headscratch: What's the name of IMHO questions thread?
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Longes wrote:
radthemad4 wrote:Also, I think this should be in IMHO.
It definitely should be. I thought it was... :headscratch: What's the name of IMHO questions thread?
Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered, currently on IMHO page 2.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Who is the richest / most famous businessperson who's admired for what they did to get rich, rather than what they spent the money on when they got rich? Like, if I needed to make the best case for Libertarianism, who should I point at to say "See, this is why private enterprise should be allowed to run the country" and have the smallest chance to burst into laughter there and then?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Elon Musk, maybe? I don't know much about him, but it seems you'd want to look at tech nerds who are, hilariously, actually liberals and progressives usually, I think.

Like I said, I don't know, just spitballing.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

When people talk about the heritability of certain conditions such as IQ, do they strictly mean genetics or is stuff like environment and parenting standings folded into the definition?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:When people talk about the heritability of certain conditions such as IQ, do they strictly mean genetics or is stuff like environment and parenting standings folded into the definition?
The mathematician's answer is this: Typically, when people talk about heritability, even they don't know what they mean.

When I was gearing up for an argument, I referred to this as a source:
[Heritability] is the ratio of genetically caused variation to total variation (including both environmental and genetic variation).

For example, the number of fingers on a human hand or toes on a human foot is genetically determined: the genes code for five fingers and toes in almost everyone, and five fingers and toes develop in any normal environment. But the heritability of number of fingers and toes in humans is almost certainly very low. That's because most of the variation in numbers of toes is environmentally caused, often by problems in fetal development. For example, when pregnant women took thalidomide some years ago, many babies had fewer than five fingers and toes. And if we look at numbers of fingers and toes in adults, we find many missing digits as a result of accidents. But genetic coding for six toes is rare in humans (though apparently not in cats). So genetically caused variation appears to be small compared to environmentally caused variation. If someone asks, then, whether numbers of toes is genetic or not, the right answer is: "it depends what you mean by genetic." The number of toes is genetically determined, but heritability is low because genes are not responsible for much of the variation.

Conversely, a characteristic can be highly heritable even if it is not genetically determined. Some years ago when only women wore earrings, the heritability of having an earring was high because differences in whether a person had an earring were "due" to a genetic (chromosomal) difference. Now that earrings are less gender-specific, the heritability of having an earring has no doubt decreased. But neither then nor now was having earrings genetically determined in anything like the manner of having five fingers. The heritability literature is full of cases like this: high measured heritabilities for characteristics whose genetic determination is doubtful. For example, the same methodology that yields 60 percent heritability for IQ also yields 50 percent heritability of academic performance and 40 percent heritability of occupational status. Obviously, occupational status is not genetically determined: genes do not code for working in a printed circuit factory.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:When people talk about the heritability of certain conditions such as IQ, do they strictly mean genetics or is stuff like environment and parenting standings folded into the definition?
What people? You'd probably have to ask any given person making the claim. I mean, it's fairly well understood that all of those things impact IQ, so it's really a matter of how the person uses the word "heritability".

My gut would be "no", but I can't speak for other people.
Last edited by RobbyPants on Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Starmaker wrote:Who is the richest / most famous businessperson who's admired for what they did to get rich, rather than what they spent the money on when they got rich? Like, if I needed to make the best case for Libertarianism, who should I point at to say "See, this is why private enterprise should be allowed to run the country" and have the smallest chance to burst into laughter there and then?
Steve Wosniak maybe? While Steve Jobs is much more famous, Woz is the guy who actually built the original Apple computers, and unlike Jobs, wasn't a massive asshole while doing it. He was just a guy who liked computers, thought there was a better way of doing things, so made his own.

Alternatively, Barack Obama.

On the other hand, Libertarianism is utterly horrible, so don't make that argument and you'd be better off.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

There's also Jeff Bezos, who invented Amazon dot com and made online shopping an actual mainstream thing.

And Larry Page and Sergey Brin, who created Google.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I would not give Google as a positive example for how private enterprise is good.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

The guys who made youtube / whatsapp?
ID-Tech/John Romero(or was that carmack? i always get them mixed up)/Oculus Rift?
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

John Romero is the creator of John Romero's Daikatana, at which point you need to start laughing. "John Romero will make you his bitch!" The long-haired guy who got fired by the very company he formed because the game he made basically acted as a prophecy of Duke Nukem Forever.

John Carmack (not to be confused with the delicious Caramac bars) is the one you're thinking of, starting out with some friends in a shed, producing Doom as "a game we'd like to play, and maybe some other people would too?" and the rest is very much history.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

That's a slightly strange way to describe the difference between them, since John Romero was one of the friends in that shed.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yes, but Carmack went on to be successful, and Romero went on to be a legendary joke in gaming history. Had he not done so, people would talk about "the success of both Johns, who went and formed Id Software". Even though they did in fact both go and form Id Software.

But when history speaks of Romero, it shall only mention the Doom II ending and Daikatana.

(It was either that or admitting that I forgot Romero was part of the original team.)
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Don't feel bad, I always get John Romero and George Romero mixed up.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Is the story about Tories cheering when Nazis bombed British ships in Spain purely apocryphal, have some degree of truth in it, or true?

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

FrankTrollman wrote:Don't feel bad, I always get John Romero and George Romero mixed up.
On a similar note, I keep mixing up James Cameron and David Cameron. Not that either one is exactly loved and celebrated.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I mix Gibsons all the time. The cyberpunk writer and the crazy actor.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Dean Kamon is probably the best example.
He originally got rich designing/making insulin pumps. He got famous for the Segway (which is 1/2 of the actual project: a wheelchair that raises users to normal eye level and also climbs stairs). He spent a while building an actually decent prosthetic hand, but recently afaik has been making tiny amounts of money bringing electricity to Africa.
(I think that he's been funding that with the every-flavor soda machines that popped up in every fast food place recently, but that's based on my reading between the lines in a lot of places, and may be just wrong)

Of course, Edison and Ford have strong arguments for them as well, but that may involve more argument. I've also heard of e.g. someone who gives free utilities to poor households, and uses them as loads to sell wave-shaping to the power companies, but that's pretty arcane and obscure. Kamon's stuff is pretty unequivocally good, and people may have heard of him.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.