It's Star Wars sequel trilogy time, bitches.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Shrapnel wrote:What I want to know is how much of the Extended Universe they'll be including, since most of it is terrible (Crystal Star, Yuuzhan Vong, and anything involving Boba Fett, I'm lookin' at you).
From what I hear, they only canon they'll be using is the movies. And there has been some pretty good stuff in the extended universe (Darth Bane, Darth Plageius) of course I haven't read that much of it to give a full opinion on it.

Regardless, I'm psyched. I enjoyed the prequels, not for the shitty acting, but more the visuals and action scenes. I know were guaranteed at least that in a new trilogy. And if Lucas is kept away from the writestaff then the plot can't suck to badly. Also, I second a passing on the torch sort of setup, where Luke is the grandmaster of the new Jedi order, and stays mostly in the background.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

MGuy wrote:I don't see how anyone could've liked Cloverfield or thought it was even an 'ok' movie..
Spoiler alert:

All the characters douchebags die so yay, happy endings
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

My favorite part about Cloverfield was that the Statue of Liberty's head was tiny in comparison to the real thing.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I was going to write a defense of Cloverfield but I've been unable to. This makes me think that my positive memories of the film stem more from me watching it with like ten of my buddies while stuffed with booze and Brazilian BBQ than the film itself.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

I didn't have a problem Cloverfield. The shakeycam was consistent with the themes of the movie, the acting and dialog weren't terrible, the plot was reasonably suspenseful, it was about 9/11 without being about 9/11. It's not the best monster movie I've seen, nor the best shakeycam film, but it's not what I would trot out if I were trying to imply JJ Abrams is a talentless hack.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I was going to write a defense of Cloverfield but I've been unable to. This makes me think that my positive memories of the film stem more from me watching it with like ten of my buddies while stuffed with booze and Brazilian BBQ than the film itself.
Oh man, Brazilian BBQ is fuckin delicious!

The statue of liberty's head was made bigger, not smaller, for Cloverfield.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

codeGlaze wrote:The statue of liberty's head was made bigger, not smaller, for Cloverfield.
Ah. I knew the head's size was erroneous, but I couldn't remember if it was smaller or larger.
Half asleep upon my knee
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Is the Death Star (2008) novel worth buying? What about Shadow Games? Hell, if you were going to recommend three novels or comic series to someone unfamiliar with the Star Wars EU beyond video games, which ones would you recommend?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Matthew Stover wrote a Mace Windu novel that is basically Heart of Darkness in space jungle. It is kind of grimdark but very good. I know very little about the EU, and I did not feel as though I were missing anything major when I read it.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Shatterpoint and the Thrawn trilogy are pretty great.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I would recommend things written by Timothy Zahn. That is what I would recommend.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Tales of Jabba's Palace. Almost all the stories in that are spectacular. You can never go wrong with the Thrawn trilogy. Death Troopers, I think, is quite good. Yes, it's about zombies, but I still liked it and I would recommend it. (Although, you must bear in mind that my tastes don't usually run that good. After all, I liked DBZ:GT, but that's another thread.)

I haven't read much of the comics, so I can't help there. But I can tell you that you should never read any comic about Boba Fett. They are shit.
Half asleep upon my knee
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I'm kinda down on the Star Trek reboots but I'd be willing to see a third. I feel like the first movie really coasts on the strength of the big intro sequence. That opening bit was the sort of pure, unapologetic space opera you rarely get from people not named Leiji Matsumoto, but the rest of the film wasn't doing it for me--they really needed a stronger villain and to get rid of Simon Pegg.* Overall I preferred the second film but really dislike the offhanded way they apparently cured death with tribbles. I know that Spock comes back in the original films but at least it took a couple films and a pre-established plot device to pull it off. It made the Wrath of Khan callback feel a bit perfunctory, which is really too bad because it was a waste of a couple really good performances.

*The Simon Pegg thing pains me. He's still got some goodwill in the tank from Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but man, I hated his Scotty in the first reboot.
bears fall, everyone dies
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I've decided that Luke Skywalker needs to die in the first of the new Star Wars movies. If he doesn't, I may not watch the other two (unless the first one is really good.)

Consider the facts:

-Mark Hammil is now the same age that Alec Guinness was during the original Star Wars Movie

Okay that's the only fact I really have. But I think it would be awesome if he died and was the ghost mentor of a new protagonist. That would be cow tits.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Concise Locket
Apprentice

Post by Concise Locket »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Is the Death Star (2008) novel worth buying? What about Shadow Games? Hell, if you were going to recommend three novels or comic series to someone unfamiliar with the Star Wars EU beyond video games, which ones would you recommend?
Not all of Dark Horse's Star Wars comics knock it out of the park but the best Star Wars comics are leagues ahead of the Thrawn Trilogy.

My recommendations:

Dark Times
Empire/Rebellion (It's the same storyline but the title changes)
Knights of the Old Republic

Brian Woods' Star Wars was alright as was The Clone Wars.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I've been thinking about the new trilogy, and I've reached the conclusion that as long as there is nothing like "I don't like sand. It gets everywhure.", "YIPPEEE", or Jamaican frog-Negroes, they'll be fucking Citizen Kane.
Half asleep upon my knee