Why is Failing Forward so disliked on these boards? [!silva]

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

~ also means "similar to" though. And while it's true that ~thing is not =thing and therefore literally qualifies as !thing, it carries a different connotation.
Ghremdal
Master

Post by Ghremdal »

Leaving out the interesting symbol discussion, are there any systems that do failing forward well? By well I mean with clear guidelines and mechanics?
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Chamomile wrote:~ also means "similar to" though. And while it's true that ~thing is not =thing and therefore literally qualifies as !thing, it carries a different connotation.
Yep. Thus the tendency to use ¬ in formal situations, ~ (which looks similar (heh)) in informal keyboard situations, and ! in contexts where it's an explicit part of the syntax (e.g. C and its descendants). Or something.

also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ma ... al_symbols
"The symbol ! is primarily from computer science. It is avoided in mathematical texts, where the notation ¬A is preferred."
"The symbol ~ has many other uses, so ¬ or the slash notation is preferred. Computer scientists will often use ! but this is avoided in mathematical texts."
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

I had one professor who would write things like "[backwards E] ! X" to mean "there exists a unique X". That does not appear to be a standard notation, though, at least according to that wikipedia article.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
jadagul
Master

Post by jadagul »

Blicero wrote:I had one professor who would write things like "[backwards E] ! X" to mean "there exists a unique X". That does not appear to be a standard notation, though, at least according to that wikipedia article.
That's totally standard notation. "∃x" means "there exists an x", and "∃!x" means "there exists a unique x." It's pretty common in math classes, especially on blackboards (as opposed to textbooks, which can just write it out). It's also the standard "existential quantifier" in formal logic.

In fact, it's on the wikipedia page; search for "existential quantification" or "uniqueness quantification."
Last edited by jadagul on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

Concurring with jadagul, that's a really common convention.
-JM
norms29
Master

Post by norms29 »

my entire time earning my B.S. in Mathematics I have only seen ! used as a not symbol in the programming class I had to take.

and Blicero, I don't know what in the wiki article gave you the idea it wasn't standard notation for uniqueness quantifier, they don't even list any alternate notation. there not being any alternative would seem to meet the strictest possible definition of uniqueness
After all, when you climb Mt. Kon Foo Sing to fight Grand Master Hung Lo and prove that your "Squirrel Chases the Jam-Coated Tiger" style is better than his "Dead Cockroach Flails Legs" style, you unleash a bunch of your SCtJCT moves, not wait for him to launch DCFL attacks and then just sit there and parry all day. And you certainly don't, having been kicked about, then say "Well you served me shitty tea before our battle" and go home.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

In an attempt to make myself look slightly less inept, I should note that I am familiar with the symbol for "there exists". I am obviously incapable of reading, though.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well online you can always use alt 170 to get ¬ or just cut n' paste that same ¬ from wikipedia's logical symbols page.

That way you also don't run into confusion with factorials.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Well online you can always use alt 170 to get ¬ or just cut n' paste that same ¬ from wikipedia's logical symbols page.

That way you also don't run into confusion with factorials.
I recommend this approach unless you're talking to a compiler who'll freak out about that (in which case it's reasonable to use !)

EDIT: in contexts where it's clear, I also use ~, but that's because I'm a lazy bastard
Last edited by momothefiddler on Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.