Fighters Jumping on Dragons

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Red Rob wrote:Well, guess what? Giant insects wouldn't be able to breathe due to the size limits of tracheal breathing systems. Giants would break their legs walking due to the inverse square law. Harpies would need a sternum that projected 6 feet in front of their body to provide the thrust needed to fly. Fantasy games break the laws of physics in a hundred genre-appropriate ways. In a Fantasy game genre-appropriate trumps realistic 9 times out of 10, otherwise you don't even get past the first random encounter.
Yes, which is why I don't have a problem with it when the exception to reality is explicitly noted and documented ahead of time.

But when we're going into uncharted rules territory, we must default to real-world physics unless we can extrapolate from an existing exception.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Stubbazubba
Knight-Baron

Post by Stubbazubba »

DSM, have you ever read a book of prose fiction? Cover to cover, the whole thing? Because if you had, you would find that the "logical content" you're waving like a flag is necessary, but insufficient for a good analogy. The logical connection you're convinced is the end point of an analogy is not that. It is to analogy what putting the landing gear down on a plane is to landing said plane; you can't do it without it, but there's a lot more work to be done after that.

Your focus on the obvious surface connection and angry rejection of any other level of analysis is you angrily rejecting that there is any difference between "DSM is an idiot," "DSM is an idiot," "DSM is an idiot?" and "DSM is an idiot?" You're correct that tone is kind of involved, but it is not tone trolling to say that those all indicate different things.

You correctly summarize the problem with each of those analogies, though, so good work. You just insist that they work as is anyway, when they're not conveying the same idea on the level where the idea actually matters to the story.

Let's even talk about the counter-example just to show you how wrong you are. Imagine a noir detective story narrated by the protagonist. He could get away with describing someone falling like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup despite that being a bad analogy because it is humorous, maybe cynical characterization. It doesn't reflect on the scene being described so much as it reflects on the person making the comparison. But even in that story, at the climax, when the villain shoots the protagonist's trusted partner McBride - a character the author and the protagonist (and thus the reader, hopefully) have invested in emotionally - in the chest and he falls over a balcony railing 12 stories and explodes on the pavement, you wouldn't want to use the same description because it undercuts the emotional gravitas of the scene. Not because of any moral dimension whatsoever, but because you are taking the reader right out of the actual scene, with the dramatic weight the author has built up over the entire story, and putting them in a funny one instead, where all of that is turned on its head. And if you did write it that way anyway, it would change the whole focus from McBride's death to the cynicism of the protagonist/narrator. It's a choice of imagery that matters and has actual impact. Assuming you are not trying to make a statement about your narrator, it's a bad analogy.

Brandon Sanderson has an entire character who does this. The character thinks he has these great analogies, but they're actually things like comparing his gun to a banana. They are deliberately funny and it's a device used to characterize the character making those comparisons, they are not effective comparisons of the actual things compared, and they are not meant to be.

FrankTrollman wrote:I mean seriously, saying it is morally objectionable to use an analogy comparing aspects of blood and soup? Are you stupid? Is that supposed to be for real?
...Yes, yes you discovered me. I'm actually an armadillo SJW. Comparing a fist clenched in anger to an armadillo rolled up in fear is a morally objectionable stereotype that I am trying to rid these interwebs of, beginning, naturally, with the Den. And yeah, thoughts being compared to underwear in a dryer is totally a tone thing; my underwear doesn't tumble, it gracefully floats down and folds itself at the bottom of the dryer, and it upsets me to hear it slandered. And how could anyone with a heart compare hailstones to maggots? Think of the hailstones. You guys are so cold. *Whimper*

In all seriousness, fine, I'm done. At no point did I say any comparison was morally objectionable, not even Kaelik's, that was DSM's strawman, but whatever. I have better things to do than argue with honest-to-God illiterates who are falling over themselves to suck Kaelik's lawyer cock.
You made fake quotes of people and then tried to "remind" people that the fake quotes you made up were things that other people had really said!
No, actually, I stopped summarizing other people's arguments and started using direct quotes, but please continue to simply misstate the facts. It's one of your strong suits. I think I still summarized Lago once but that was actually to defend him and I don't think he disagreed with my summary. He can correct me if I'm wrong, though I won't be here to see it.
Last edited by Stubbazubba on Thu May 14, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Red_Rob wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote:Mundane characters can skydive down to a person that is free-falling and potentially catch them before they hit the ground. Spiderman and Superman are just really good at that and aren't even likely to fail. It doesn't mean that Keanu Reeves' Stunt Person doesn't have the skills to succeed 50% of the time. The game (IMHO) is better when you try to figure out how to make it work and allow players to try.
No. Actually, they don't. They seriously don't unless they're like up at a few thousand feet, well above any skyscraper. Air resistance would be the only thing that affected terminal velocity and in the 10 seconds it would take to hit the ground and as a technologically unassisted mundane you would have no way of catching up.

I mean, it's a fucking common thing in action-adventure fiction. I bet it's even an article on TVTropes. But anyone with even a passing knowledge of physics knows that such a stunt would be impossible. Not improbable like having a few thousand bullets miss like you're a Stormtrooper, but impossible. Nonetheless, a lot of DMs will let you attempt this stunt anyway despite having to break internal and external consistency to do so.

And this is why an appeal to genre tradition is one of the most bullshit arguments you can ever make when it comes to running or designing a TTRPG. It has all of the rhetorical and intellectual heft of fresh marshmallows.
I think this is the crux of the issue. When you actually think deeply about the body strength and physical dexterity needed to hang onto and climb a giant, moving, scaled intelligent adversary it seems that this would be impossible, right?

Well, guess what? Giant insects wouldn't be able to breathe due to the size limits of tracheal breathing systems. Giants would break their legs walking due to the inverse square law. Harpies would need a sternum that projected 6 feet in front of their body to provide the thrust needed to fly. Fantasy games break the laws of physics in a hundred genre-appropriate ways. In a Fantasy game genre-appropriate trumps realistic 9 times out of 10, otherwise you don't even get past the first random encounter.

Complaining that Conan riding a Dragon is an example of Captain Hobo is doing a disservice to one of the core themes of Fantasy gaming - that larger than life heroes can perform seemingly impossible actions to triumph over evil. So yes, a Fighter needs the stats and abilities to pull it off and yes the game should support such actions mechanically - but just because a character doesn't have an explicit powersource by level 5 doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to perform in-genre actions.

Now, at higher levels this applies less and less. Enemies that explicitly require magical abilities like Flight or Fire Immunity to overcome are more common and the scope of the game has changed. But at lower levels, raining on a players parade because "Physics LOL" when every other aspect of the game breaks physics to one degree or another would come across as hugely dickish to my mind.
This, a thousand times. At the moment you accepted creatures with burrow speeds in excess of 20', gryphons with Ex flight or stone giants in your game, you already accepted that physical laws are different in fantasy land, even before you start to factor magic. Given that, arguments like "how many Gs an impossibly large and fast creature can generate when it does a U-turn" are pointless.

Of course a human being could not hold onto a huge dragon that was as fast and agile as a D&D ancient dragon. But since a being like a D&D ancient dragon can't exist in the first place, I'm not sure of why you wait until that moment to leave the room.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Red Rob wrote:Well, guess what? Giant insects wouldn't be able to breathe due to the size limits of tracheal breathing systems. Giants would break their legs walking due to the inverse square law. Harpies would need a sternum that projected 6 feet in front of their body to provide the thrust needed to fly. Fantasy games break the laws of physics in a hundred genre-appropriate ways. In a Fantasy game genre-appropriate trumps realistic 9 times out of 10, otherwise you don't even get past the first random encounter.
Yes, which is why I don't have a problem with it when the exception to reality is explicitly noted and documented ahead of time.

But when we're going into uncharted rules territory, we must default to real-world physics unless we can extrapolate from an existing exception.
We could instead extrapolate that since, by the rules, a person can grapple a bear without actually growing stronger than a bear that it stands to reason that a man can at least grab something bigger and stronger than it without being either of those things as they get higher level.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:But when we're going into uncharted rules territory, we must default to real-world physics unless we can extrapolate from an existing exception.
Wouldn't you classify a mid-level character's already-defined superhuman abilities (fall 30' onto concrete without any risk of death, break through a brick wall with a dagger, grapple an Ogre into submission with a decent chance of success) as an existing exception? I think that was part of my point, that even nonmagical characters in a heroic game are assumed to take on somewhat superhuman physical capabilities by gaining levels. Looked at in that light, allowing a VAH to perform exceptional stunts is merely an extension of this established paradigm.

The question then becomes how much is too much. Sure a VAH can hang onto a monster and stab it as it flies around, that's low level stuff. But should a high level fighter be able to choke out a Giant? Suplex a T-Rex? Leap tall buildings in a single bound? Personally I'd say sure, but I prefer a more fantastic game at high levels even without a specifically magical powersource. I can understand if you want to make that stuff explicitly magical. Whereas anything where you can squint and say "well, I guess a guy could do that if they were just that good" should be within the realm of the VAH. That's their one schtick, and if you take it away you are no better than those DM's that constantly steal the wizards spellbook.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Red Rob wrote:I think that was part of my point, that even nonmagical characters in a heroic game are assumed to take on somewhat superhuman physical capabilities by gaining levels. Looked at in that light, allowing a VAH to perform exceptional stunts is merely an extension of this established paradigm.
What established paradigm? Yes, a VAH can fall 200' on concrete and get up and complete a fight, break through a brick wall with just their fists, and grapple an Ogre into submission with a decent chance of success. However, they still can't jump hundreds of feet into the air, hold their breath for an hour underwater, or tunnel underground like an umber hulk. How can you extrapolate anything from that? Seriously, what kind of mental framework allows a VAH to cling to and fight ontop of a resistant dragon but excludes them from gliding and doing double jumps.

The set of fantastical things a VAH can and can't do is completely random and arbitrary. You can't extrapolate from that, because there's no common cause for his abilities. This is a problem that, say, Hercules doesn't have. If you can plausibly describe a way for him to do a fantastical stunt using his superhuman strength and endurance without relying upon 'it just HAPPENS, okay?' then we can get a clear idea of what he can and cannot do. Not so for 'high level' VAHs like JLA Batman.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Red Rob wrote:I think that was part of my point, that even nonmagical characters in a heroic game are assumed to take on somewhat superhuman physical capabilities by gaining levels. Looked at in that light, allowing a VAH to perform exceptional stunts is merely an extension of this established paradigm.
What established paradigm? Yes, a VAH can fall 200' on concrete and get up and complete a fight, break through a brick wall with just their fists, and grapple an Ogre into submission with a decent chance of success. However, they still can't jump hundreds of feet into the air, hold their breath for an hour underwater, or tunnel underground like an umber hulk. How can you extrapolate anything from that? Seriously, what kind of mental framework allows a VAH to cling to and fight ontop of a resistant dragon but excludes them from gliding and doing double jumps.

The set of fantastical things a VAH can and can't do is completely random and arbitrary. You can't extrapolate from that, because there's no common cause for his abilities. This is a problem that, say, Hercules doesn't have. If you can plausibly describe a way for him to do a fantastical stunt using his superhuman strength and endurance without relying upon 'it just HAPPENS, okay?' then we can get a clear idea of what he can and cannot do. Not so for 'high level' VAHs like JLA Batman.
It is pretty strange isn't it? That a person can take up a wooden stick and eventually be able to break creatures made entirely of rock with it but they can't even jump very high. I think the preferable solution is that skills and other things should scale. I'm not really sure 'why' there's a jump limit nor am I sure why having a bunch of ranks in swim doesn't allow you to handle being underwater longer. It really should and the fact that it doesn't (at least as far as DnD is concerned) really should be changed. The fact that awesome scaling seems present in 'some' of the things your numbers allow you to do while being very specifically capped in other places is something I don't like. That's why I'm such a fan of Tarkisflux's Tome of Prowess.
Last edited by MGuy on Thu May 14, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

MGuy wrote:It is pretty strange isn't it? That a person can take up a wooden stick and eventually be able to break creatures made entirely of rock with it but they can't even jump very high.
Why is that strange? They might be using Smite Abomination through the stick. They might just have a supernaturally enchanted arm like in Godhand or Devil May Cry. They might have some sort of Enchanted Weapons ability that renders a walking stick they hold the equal of Excalibur. Hell, they might be like a cleric or druid or some shit and they have a spell that gives them a damage bonus.

Yes, if you think that the reason why someone can smite a giant rock monster with a humble stick is because they have whole-body super-strength then it's fucking weird that they can't use that same super-strength to jump really high. But it's not how VAHs or even most characters with huge damage bonuses operate. In absence of an extrapolatable explanation like that, you only get what your character sheet says you get.

And again, the problem won't go away even if you do some kind of Tome of Prowess thing. The list of potential off-of-the-book stunts you can do is infinite. The amount of stunts you can list rules for is finite. Eventually some player is going to suggest a stunt that isn't in the rules and they're going to have to give an explanation as to why they can do this. And if your explanation is a 'just because' or then you should expect a no.

MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
MGuy wrote:It is pretty strange isn't it? That a person can take up a wooden stick and eventually be able to break creatures made entirely of rock with it but they can't even jump very high.
Why is that strange? They might be using Smite Abomination through the stick. They might just have a supernaturally enchanted arm like in Godhand or Devil May Cry. They might have some sort of Enchanted Weapons ability that renders a walking stick they hold the equal of Excalibur. Hell, they might be like a cleric or druid or some shit and they have a spell that gives them a damage bonus.

Yes, if you think that the reason why someone can smite a giant rock monster with a humble stick is because they have whole-body super-strength then it's fucking weird that they can't use that same super-strength to jump really high. But it's not how VAHs or even most characters with huge damage bonuses operate. In absence of an extrapolatable explanation like that, you only get what your character sheet says you get.

And again, the problem won't go away even if you do some kind of Tome of Prowess thing. The list of potential off-of-the-book stunts you can do is infinite. The amount of stunts you can list rules for is finite. Eventually some player is going to suggest a stunt that isn't in the rules and they're going to have to give an explanation as to why they can do this. And if your explanation is a 'just because' or then you should expect a no.
I didn't mention any smite. A Barbarian (a VAH), for example, gets to just 'be stronger'. They basically have that slapped onto their character sheet. Despite the fact that they can generate enough personal power to break rocks they can't jump high. This doesn't seem off to you at all?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Where does it say that a VAH generates personal power? Where does it say that a VAH generates any kind of power? I mean, I see an attack bonus and I can see stuff like Weapon Specialization and Power Attack that allows you to generate sourceless damage bonuses, but I'm still not seeing how you can infer that the existence and usage of those things means that they get to be stronger*. Does a cleric gain super-strength when they cast Divine Favor even though it's the damage equivalent of adding up to +12 to their strength score?

*As in, generating more force. Not, in a more abstract and metaphorical sense, of being able to better control their environment.

MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Is that a yes or a no to the question?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

To your question: no.

Where does it say that a VAH generates personal power? Where does it say that a VAH generates any kind of power? I mean, I see an attack bonus and I can see stuff like Weapon Specialization and Power Attack that allows you to generate sourceless damage bonuses, but I'm still not seeing how you can infer that the existence and usage of those things means that they get to be stronger*. Does a cleric gain super-strength when they cast Divine Favor even though it's the damage equivalent of adding up to +12 to their strength score?

*As in, generating more force. Not, in a more abstract and metaphorical sense, of being able to better control their environment.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Thu May 14, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

So a barbarian, who's main call to fame, is being able to make themselves stronger (as in their physical power increases) thus enabling them to perform certain feats of strength but no others does not seem at all odd to you because a cleric can cast a spell that does not do that same thing?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

If their strength bonus isn't large enough to do those things, then no.

If you're going to make a rules argument, you're on much sturdier ground. If you're saying that you should be able to jump hundreds of feet in the air because your strength score is 60, then let's have that argument. Hell, even if the rules say that you only make it 40 feet in the air, tops, I'd be willing to as the DM make it a permanent house rule that you get to jump hundreds of feet.

But... unassisted barbarian rage strength tops out at... +8 at level 20. +10 if you sink all of your stat-ups into strength. That's enough for you to do some technically supernatural things (hell, it might be let you cling to that dragon) but from a rules perspective you're still a ways short from doing shit that the phlebtonium'd characters were doing many levels ago.

MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

What I'm asking you is whether or not you, personally, find it strange that a character can get enough personal power (Strength) to literally beat a creature made up entirely of rocks to death with a plain wooden stick but cannot do something as mild as jumping two dozen feet in the air from. Do you not at all see anything wrong with that?
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Stubbazubba wrote:DSM, have you ever read a book of prose fiction? Cover to cover, the whole thing? Because if you had, you would find that the "logical content" you're waving like a flag is necessary, but insufficient for a good analogy. The logical connection you're convinced is the end point of an analogy is not that. It is to analogy what putting the landing gear down on a plane is to landing said plane; you can't do it without it, but there's a lot more work to be done after that.

Your focus on the obvious surface connection and angry rejection of any other level of analysis is you angrily rejecting that there is any difference between "DSM is an idiot," "DSM is an idiot," "DSM is an idiot?" and "DSM is an idiot?" You're correct that tone is kind of involved, but it is not tone trolling to say that those all indicate different things.
Why the fuck are you still talking? You picked your hill and you died on it. What, is your desire to be a terrible poster so great that you've become a shambling zombie? I use turn stupid. How many HD of idiot do you have?

Oh, I'm sorry, that was a bad analogy. Zombies are murderous corpses, and that's dangerous. You're merely an annoyingly incompetent jackass, and that's a mild bother at best.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Stubba he's going to keep talking. Remember he only hopped in the conversation because of his love of rape analogies. So you're only wasting your time.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

MGuy wrote:Stubba he's going to keep talking. Remember he only hopped in the conversation because of his love of rape analogies. So you're only wasting your time.
Of course I'm going to keep talking. I haven't run out of jokes yet.

And let's be honest, even these jokes beat the fuck out of his argument like they were someone's redheaded stepchild. Wait, that's another bad analogy. Child abuse is sad, and... okay, no, watching stubbazubba flail around like an idiot is also sad. False alarm, this one actually works.

See? JOKES!
Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

DSMatticus wrote:
MGuy wrote:Stubba he's going to keep talking. Remember he only hopped in the conversation because of his love of rape analogies. So you're only wasting your time.

And let's be honest, even these jokes beat the fuck out of his argument like they were someone's redheaded stepchild. Wait, that's another bad analogy. Child abuse is sad, and... okay, no, watching stubbazubba flail around like an idiot is also sad. False alarm, this one actually works.

See? JOKES!
Kaelik wrote:Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath, Justin Bieber, shitmuffin
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Omegonthesane wrote:
DSMatticus wrote:

See? JOKES!
I'll bet you don't even have ebola you lying bastard
Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

The rape analogy is like Ebola, the thread seemed fine when it first contracted it, a few days later the symptoms became revolting, and now its dying a horrible, incurable death.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

The comparison of this thread to an Ebola outbreak is a bad analogy because the most current Ebola outbreak has a survival rate of 50%. I don't think we can call this living.

Edit - And I've been promoted to Duke as a result of this accidental derail.
Last edited by deaddmwalking on Thu May 14, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

deaddmwalking wrote:
Edit - And I've been promoted to Duke as a result of this accidental derail.
Only now do I realize how little I actually make posts on here.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Stubbazubba, quick, get him! There's no way a shitty fighter thread being ruined is as serious and tragic as dying of ebola! Tell him he's a shitty person and his analogies are terrible and inappropriate.

Okay, fine, fuck it. I will stop feeding the moron and let you have your fighter thread. But to be honest, I don't think any of you have any fucking idea what eachother's positions are, and have spent the majority of this thread in entirely different boxing rings beating up strawmen painted up like they are the person you are trying to argue with and not being able to tell the difference. Some basic questions for everyone:

1) Do you think there exists a power level at which mundane characters (or characters using their mundane capabilities) should be able to cling to a resisting dragon as it flies through the sky? Note that I said mundane characters, so I mean people who do not have any special abilities or +$TEXAS bonuses to clinging beyond the domain of relatively ordinary human capability.

2) Do you think there exists a power level at which martial characters should be able to cling to a resisting dragon as it flies through the sky? Note that I did not say mundane characters, I said martial characters, so I mean people who could potentially have special abilities or +$TEXAS bonuses to clinging beyond the domain of relatively ordinary human capability.

3) Do you think it is appropriate for the DM to allow characters who have no special abilities beyond the domain of relatively ordinary human capability to attempt to perform wildly non-mundane tasks upon request by extending existing systems like attacks, ability checks, or skill checks?
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

DSM did you not notice the thing where someone tried that already.

We've already had the "I'm sure no one REALLY means no dragon riding evar!" and they were met with resounding silence for pages.

Hell, YOU spent half your time on this thread arguing that other people held far more reasonable positions than they were flat out contradicting you by continuing to hold and double down on while you red faced claimed otherwise. They didn't take the opportunity then to back down or clarify to a match your claims, what do you think is going to change now?

The only thing that happened since the last "look I'm sure it's just strawmen and misunderstandings, and the people saying no dragon riding evar is a stupid statement are just as bad somehow as the people seemingly saying that" was that Lago has opened brand new avenues of stupid by confirming that he thinks the Gaming den should REALLY start taking "Selective Realizarmz" arguments seriously, and that now barbarian rage isn't allowed to have nice things either... conceptually, not just in any specific example, but broadly, as a concept, in a fantasy RPG.

You routinely roll out "The position that guy took explicitly and openly is a strawman and only I know his real unspoken position, which is much more reasonable and completely different to what he KEEPS SAYING!" claims, thread after thread, in the face of direct contradiction from the source, again and again.

I don't think you really understand what strawmen are and I don't think you of all people really get to go around complaining that other people don't understand the secret unspoken internal heart of other's posts and opinions.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)