Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Mmm. Glenfiddich 15 year is nice. I usually drink my scotch neat, but some like mixing in some water or ice.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Actually, it occurred to me on Count's mention of water- definitely add a bit of water. Of course I can't find the article now, but water actually will change the flavor of whiskey by masking some aromas and unbinding flavour compounds to make others more apparent.

Try a bit neat, then add a bit of water and try that, see which you like better.

And by a bit of water, I mean, like, maybe a quarter teaspoon water to 3 oz whiskey.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:But seriously, I don't recommend using decent booze to make mixed drinks, that's what you do to cheap booze to make it more palatable.
I tend to drink much cheaper whiskey and I mix it with ginger ale. If I happened upon a bottle of nice stuff, I'd hold onto it for guests, because I've never developed a taste for straight whiskey or scotch.

Prak wrote:Actually, it occurred to me on Count's mention of water- definitely add a bit of water. Of course I can't find the article now, but water actually will change the flavor of whiskey by masking some aromas and unbinding flavour compounds to make others more apparent.
Yeah. I know someone who is extremely fussy about his scotch, and he always puts in a tiny splash of water and never any ice. He says the water does something to the oils that brings out the flavor.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I wasn't even sure if what I have is good stuff. And if I don't like it, I can hand it to a friend and stick with my cider and rum and such.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

How to you get a kitten to stop trying to nurse on your nipples?
erik
King

Post by erik »

Apply catnip to the concerned areas.

This should work if only technically.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

A sophisticated technology I call a 'shirt.'
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@erik how?
i only know 3 reactions to catnip from cats:
a) no reaction at all
b) hyper hyper!
c) dude, i am like . . so totally high . .
none of which ever managed to get any cat i know away from food.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

If he's young enough, bottle-feed him.
If he's old enough, slap him (lightly of course) and scold him the way his mother would. You should generally do this to all biting behavior to teach him not to bite when excited. It can take a while for him to learn.
Last edited by Blade on Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Stahlseele wrote:@erik how?
i only know 3 reactions to catnip from cats:
a) no reaction at all
b) hyper hyper!
c) dude, i am like . . so totally high . .
none of which ever managed to get any cat i know away from food.
I was expecting totally hyper, tripping out and attacking.

Which technically isn't nursing.

Wearing a shirt and/or giving a light swat if too old to be nursing could work too.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Whenever I read an OSSR by AH, he keeps mentioning stuff about someone finishing a Farcast review. What's Farcast, and why is the review so important to him? I only ask out of ignorance.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Farcast is a blog AH did for a full year, writing some homebrew for Eclipse Phase once a day for the entire year.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Dammit Shrapnel, I was going to facetiously ask this in an effort to rustle jimmies, and now you've beaten me to it.

The review is in IMHO, and I disbelieve that you could have missed it.
He wants it reviewed because once enough people have seen it there's the chance that they'll activate the item found on day ███ so that it can ████████████████████████████.

::sensitive items of this post were redacted in actu::

[edit: bah, can't un-censor that.]
Last edited by erik on Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Aaaaahhh. Mystery solved. Sorta. How come no one's finished it?
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Because it's 365 blog posts about a niche game that very few of us have looked at, let alone know much about. I can't speak for anyone else, but my attention span was blasted to pieces by the internet long ago.

Except for trainwrecks, but even FATAL was reviewed in several sittings.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Yah, having to address 365 individual things is more taxing than most any OSSR review where you may hit on a a few score of things.

Granted it was more of an effort to write the 365 items in the first place, so my hat's off to AH for that. I've been tempted to wade in and help with the reviewing, but all I know about Eclipse Phase is only from reading threads here and I have a hard enough time getting motivated on my own projects.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Prak wrote:Because it's 365 blog posts
366. Year and a day.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Screw it. I'll begin my review in earnest of the Farcast stuff after work. I just finished a game last night that consisted of literal dungeon delving and orc slaying in Eclipse Phase, and I want to have something legit EP influences in my brain again.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Would the Dragonball series be considered "high fantasy"? I mean, it's set on an imaginary version of earth, and the characters are all, as wikipedia describes it, "epic" in scope and that jazz.
Half asleep upon my knee
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Yes. DBZ Earth is clearly a secondary world (despite having some things in common with out world, like consumer electronics). In addition to whimsical elements like dinosaurs, anthro-dog rulers, and a tiny rabbit-covered moon (when it has a moon), it clearly operates under a different set of rules, especially as regards what martial arts can achieve.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

If the last one was a qualifier of high fantasy, low fantasy would be impossible.
Last edited by schpeelah on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Not really. Most low fantasy simply doesn't have consistent rules for its fantastic elements; shit just happens for no rhyme or raisin.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Dragonball doesn't fit well in Western literary genres at all.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

hyzmarca wrote:Dragonball doesn't fit well in Western literary genres at all.
I've always assumed that the terms "high" and "low" fantasy applied more to a setting, rather than a genre.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half asleep upon my knee
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

About how many extra women voter, if any, in terms of % did Margaret Thatcher and Angela Merkel capture (or rather, their parties) over base demography?
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.