Farcast "review"

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Okay, enow fucking about. Still have some mechanics to sort out, but I'm going to start writing. I'm going to aim at 1k a day, but we'll see how it goes.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Still sorting out the details, but here is the dry-run on the "pitch."
The wars on Earth have ended. The world divided evenly between the freedom-loving Alliance, and the cold communist society of Union Republika. With peace has come prosperity, the advance of knowledge. With their electronic brains, men have begun to uncover the secrets of the universe, the primal technologies left on their planet by a strange race known only as the Elder Things. Power-crystals provide clean, endless power; and reverse-engineering of the ancient Power Wands of the Elder Things has given rise to an understanding of Azathoth radiation, which can bend space and time. A new breed of men have evolved to master these strange sciences, equipped with blazing superscience wands that manipulate the primal elements...and turned their eyes to the stars.

They were not alone.

Earth teems with life, but it is largely human life - billions on billions of people, living in the sky-cleaving metropolises that span the continents. Yet as their sleek silver rocket-ships span the aether with their space-warping Azathoth engines, humanity has come to realize it is not alone in this solar system - alien life lives on neighboring worlds. Mostly primitive, their civilizations and technologies lost or decadent, their worlds ripe with the raw materials so desperately needed on a crowded Earth. The Union Republika struck first, planting a colony on the Moon.

The race was on.

Yet humanity must be wary that its reach does not escape its grasp. For all its vast knowledge and power, man is still a race of explorers, braving the unknown dangers of these new-found worlds and their strange alien races. Ancient horrors may yet lurk in some forgotten ruin of the Elder Things, and space has already given a home to long-forgotten perils: pirates, criminals, exotic cults let by charismatic but neurotic self-proclaimed prophets, rogue scientists, titanic space-borne lifeforms that can only be described as monsters, and in the cold darkness of the outer solar system, the oppressive and frighteningly advanced armies of the Yuggothian Empire.

Now it is up to you.

You and the crew of your rocket-ship stand as part of the elite explorers: the Space Rangers. With your power-wands at full charge you can face any threat known to man - from the New Soviet Men of the Union Republika to the strange man-lizards of Venus and the squamous polyphoid tentacled Moonbeasts! Yet will it be enough against the unknown horrors of space? Will you help usher in the glory of a new age - or succumb to Space Madness?
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I read the last part as 'or succumb to Space Marines.' Thought I'd mention that.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Writing's slow, because...well, work, other writing chores. But I'm making progress.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I trust ya. Besides, Rome wasn't written in a day.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Your short blurb made me think of this...
Switch out the guy's ray gun for a sonic screwdriver, and add more space commies...
Last edited by virgil on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!