Medical Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

I think you should just flat-out ask why he needs to know. And if he doesn't give you a straight answer - even if it eventually turns out there's a valid reason - dump him.

I've had bad experiences with doctors who, supposedly in the interests of time-efficiency, wasted more time refusing to answer basic questions about the situation than simply explaining would have taken. That's a pretty good tip-off that it has nothing to do with time, and everything to do with wanting to be unquestioned authority figures whose every word is accepted as gospel by grateful patients.

Sure, no doctor wants to spend hours chatting with attention seekers, but if they won't spend a minute or two explaining themselves their medical opinions aren't worth the trouble. And there will be trouble, unless you're the sort of person who *wants* a shaman to deliver magic reassurance.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

A lot of religions have arbitrary restrictions on what treatments their followers are allowed to have. I recently treated a Jehova's Witness, and he had a thing in his notes that he in-advance refused to give consent for the transfusion of any blood products.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Setting aside the actual provisions of those religions, a doctor asking if there are any so they can make sure to tailor their care is actually pretty reasonable. Pleasantly surprised.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

That would be a good example of something that takes very little time to explain.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

I have a small bump under the skin of my left foot. It's maybe the size of a pea and it's been there for a couple years now. A polyp wouldn't last for two years would it?
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Hiram McDaniels wrote:I have a small bump under the skin of my left foot. It's maybe the size of a pea and it's been there for a couple years now. A polyp wouldn't last for two years would it?
A bump cannot be diagnosed from size alone. Much more important is how it feels. A hard lump is likely to be a wart, while a rubbery lump is likely to be a glob of fat. If it's been there for 2 years and hasn't been growing or changing color, it's probably not cancerous.

If you poke it with a needle, does it hurt? Does it bleed?

-Username17
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Where on the foot? Bunions occur at specific joints.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Where on the foot? Bunions occur at specific joints.
On the sole of my foot. Near the arch.
FrankTrollman wrote:
Hiram McDaniels wrote:I have a small bump under the skin of my left foot. It's maybe the size of a pea and it's been there for a couple years now. A polyp wouldn't last for two years would it?
A bump cannot be diagnosed from size alone. Much more important is how it feels. A hard lump is likely to be a wart, while a rubbery lump is likely to be a glob of fat. If it's been there for 2 years and hasn't been growing or changing color, it's probably not cancerous.

If you poke it with a needle, does it hurt? Does it bleed?

-Username17
The lump feels pretty rigid, but it's underneath the skin so it's hard to tell.

It doesn't normally hurt, but it feels tender if I apply pressure.

If I poke it with a needle, it hurts and bleeds.
Last edited by Hiram McDaniels on Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Is wormwood a safe thing to vape? If so, what temperature should I use? Is there anything I should bear in mind before I try it?
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Wormwood's pretty toxic, which is why it's used to kill intestinal worms.
Its thujone, which absinthe is famous for, isn't actually all that potent. Sage has more. There are other substances in its essential oil that are fairly poisonous, though.

I wouldn't inhale vaporized fluid made with it.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

If you mean artemisia absinthium, it's poisonous in anything more than small amounts. A quick look up mentioned a dose of 10 mL (significantly more than absinthe has) as potentially fatal. Never heard of vaping it.

Edit: Ninja'd
Last edited by Ice9 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

What did you want to vape it for, the flavor?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Occluded Sun wrote:Wormwood's pretty toxic, which is why it's used to kill intestinal worms.
Its thujone, which absinthe is famous for, isn't actually all that potent. Sage has more. There are other substances in its essential oil that are fairly poisonous, though.

I wouldn't inhale vaporized fluid made with it.
Interesting. So would vaping sage give me more a dose of thujone than vaping wormwood?
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Well, yes... but although it's a delicious herb, I don't know if it's safe to inhale.

I think it would be more effective to consume it via tisane. Which is also tasty, and reasonably safe. But I suspect consuming enough to have a noticeable psychological effect would also go well into a danger zone.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Occluded Sun wrote:Well, yes... but although it's a delicious herb, I don't know if it's safe to inhale.

I think it would be more effective to consume it via tisane. Which is also tasty, and reasonably safe. But I suspect consuming enough to have a noticeable psychological effect would also go well into a danger zone.
Thanks - I've had several similar stories told, which is why I wanted to put the idea to the Den test. Maybe our resident doctor might chime in with more info, but based on this, I think wormwood definitely sounds like the 'no-vape' zone.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Alright, I don't know what's going on. I had an upper endo last Friday, and ever since then I've been tired. I've been unable to complete my workout routine nearly every day since then, I've only gone twice since the procedure, and today I had to leave work because I'm literally so tired I was passing out in my chair (walking up one flight of stairs left me winded, fucking riding the elevator back down almost made me pass out, I fell out in the parking lot back to my car, etc). Tested blood sugar, 120 (it's been about 3 hours since I've had food).

This is probably my paranoia kicking in, but they did a biopsy on something they found in my throat and they found... something that requires multiple medicines. They won't elaborate on voicemail (understandable) but I have to call them tomorrow for the details at a time I normally sleep.

EDIT: The issue has been resolved. I was having a reaction to my statins and my doctor took me off them, I no longer feel terrible. Also, the Gastro told me that he just found irritation and told me to stop eating dairy and wheat products for six week. I'm... not sure I can do that but I'll give it a shot.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

What would be the obstacles to creating some sort of time-release alternative to pills that's easier to keep track of?
erik
King

Post by erik »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:What would be the obstacles to creating some sort of time-release alternative to pills that's easier to keep track of?
Delivery and dosage.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Peoples' stomachs dissolve things at different speeds. Modified release capsules that release things over twelve hours exist, but that's an average. Some people at getting the medicines released over eighteen hours or more, and others are getting it out in six. Medicines in modified release capsules don't really work for all people.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I think radiant is looking for something other than pills, like a patch or, conceivably, an implant.

erik
King

Post by erik »

Tho he wanted non pill delivery which mostly is either topical or injection which have their own foibles. [Edit oh and inhaler I guess for some. ]

I know of ophthalmic drugs that can be done as time release injectables instead of topical. Tis just used with surgery since you're already in the eye and leaving medicine is easy.
Last edited by erik on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I know nothing about medicine, but nuvaring might be a usable model here. It's a plastic insert that releases hormones ina low dose over three weeks. I don't know about the viability of this in non-vaginal locations on the body, but it's a precedent.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

What is the actual physiological cause of the pain and discomfort experienced when a lactose intolerant person eats dairy? Is it a pressure thing from the accumulation of gas? Not that I'm going to do this, but would creating a direct vent for the stomach/intestines, like say through a needle or cutting, resolve the pressure?

erik
King

Post by erik »

Like venting the space station to clear out a fart, eh?
Morat
Journeyman

Post by Morat »

Prak wrote:What is the actual physiological cause of the pain and discomfort experienced when a lactose intolerant person eats dairy? Is it a pressure thing from the accumulation of gas? Not that I'm going to do this, but would creating a direct vent for the stomach/intestines, like say through a needle or cutting, resolve the pressure?
The lactose that could have been digested in your small intestine by you and then absorbed (if you were a weird mutant milk-drinker) instead passes intact to your colon where it is then fermented by bacteria. The undigested lactose raises the osmotic pressure, and you end up with more water in your intestines because the water is trying to equalize the amount of stuff dissolved in it on each side of your intestinal membrane. The more dissolved stuff in your intestines, the more water flows in to dilute it. The extra water also expands your intestines, which speeds them along and makes you digest even less stuff. That's where the diarrhea comes from, your shit is liquefied because there's too much water.

The other thing is that much of the byproducts of the fermentation of the lactose are indeed gases. This is where the other symptoms come from. So, theoretically, you could build something that would remove the gases. But you wouldn't be able to solve the diarrhea problem unless you just pumped the rest of it out, too, not just the gases.