So, Anime You Like Lately

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

I'm watching Mustache Turn A Gundam now and loving the comedy bits. In particular in episode 14:

"Behold the suicide squad!"
"Why do you call them like that?"
(suicide squad turns out to be composed of Zakus II)

Now I'm anxious to see how many nanoseconds they'll last in battle.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Bikini Warriors is hilarious and I highly recommend it. It's a parody of jRPG tropes. Each episode is 4 minutes long.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I realize that technically the title is "that you like" but let me just say this:

I have heard nothing but good things about the monogatari series. Lots of people who's anime opinions I respect view it as good, it comes from shaft, there are just no reasons to not like it. I also watched the first episode, and it is mostly good, except one thing that is goddawful terrible.

FUCK THIS SERIES IN THE ASS. Every single fucking episode has like entire large sections that are either fucking pointless seizure machines, or literally require you to watch the damn thing pausing every eighth of a second. Like, fuck. This. Show.

There are long minute to a minute and a half periods in the show, (or at least episode one and two, so presumably everything) in which all that happens is that scenes are interspersed with half second long flashes of a white or red background with just walls of text, and the text is different every half second. No one can possibly read that fast. So you either ignore the entire show for a minute and a half, or you pause over and over, and because the times are so short, you can't wait till they are up then pause, you have to literally pause/unpause/pause over and over to progress slowly and read everything.

HOW DID NO ONE WARN ME ABOUT THIS SHIT. I literally want to knife whomever made this decision to death.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Usually when that kind of thing happens you aren't actually expected to read the text beyond like the first two lines. Hell, FMA had a habit of briefly showing documents that had like two relevant lines followed by passages about alchemy apparently lifted from RPG sourcebooks at random.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

It's bad, but it might be better than the alternative. Apparently the text is a transcription of various characters' surface thoughts, and while the rapid flashing may be distracting, at least it's not having the characters laboriously explaining their thought processes out loud, which is all too common in anime.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Damnit, Durarara! just added like five more people to the chatroom. I was having enough trouble tracking who was who already!
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:It's bad, but it might be better than the alternative. Apparently the text is a transcription of various characters' surface thoughts, and while the rapid flashing may be distracting, at least it's not having the characters laboriously explaining their thought processes out loud, which is all too common in anime.
The alternative where those flashes don't occur at all actually gives me the same information, but I won't be mad because I'm not capable of reading at hyper speed. These flashes literally convey no information at all if you don't pause every half second.

Now as a point of fact, because I am anal, I am pausing every half second, but fuck, I'd rather them pointlessly narrate for a minute than have to spend a minute pausing and unpausing and going back because I missed slides, and still reading their thoughts.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

I've been enjoying Durarara, Terror in Resonance, Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers and Gate.

I've also been enjoying the Heroic Legend of Arslan TV series. As a fan of the original OVA's it's nice to see the story unfold in a nontruncated fashion. However, I find the character designs kind of lackluster compared to the original designs by Yoshitaki Amano. Farangis in particular is pretty galling, as she used to be fully armored like an actual warrior priestess, but in the new series is wearing some cheesecakey barely there bikini ensemble.

I also found out the the Puella Magi Madoka Magicka movies are on Netflix, so I'm gonna watch the shit out of those this week.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I will admit the whole split-second text stills thing struck me as quirky for the sake of being quirky (and also annoying for the sake of being quirky). If you want to enjoy the series as intended, remind yourself that you are obviously not supposed to be able to read them and just ignore them. Of course, I did the exact same thing you did, so clearly I have little to no esteem for my own advice. I'm pretty sure the text stills get less and less common as the series goes on, but I don't think they ever go away completely - particularly not within the first season.

You are, of course, obligated to soldier through. There is no amount of bullshit that wouldn't make Monogatari Series Second worth it. I mean, sure, Bakemonogatari is pretty great, and even if that were the entirety of the show you'd probably be doing yourself a considerable disservice to be driven off, but what the fuck ever. The last arc of Monogatari Series Second exists, so keep going.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

So since at the very least DSM has watched monogatari series:

I am currently watching everything in airing order, and am watching Neko. Now, that is great and all, but I skimmed the episodes lists for second season and saw that there are two summary/recap shows covering neko and bake. Is there any purpose whatsoever at all to watching those episodes? Is there any new information, or anything, or is it 100% recap?

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I'm pretty sure I skipped them on the assumption that they were 100% recap, and so cannot tell you if they hid anything new in there that you'd give a shit about.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I don't know about monogatari specifically, but usually those are twenty-five minutes of recycled footage with maybe a bit of new narration. Don't bother.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Marathoned the current releases of School Live last night. I recommend it.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Currently need to watch GITS (I have all the episodes and movies on DVDs that a friend let me borrow), Overlord, and a few others I have been recommended.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

The seasons of GITS are awesome.
I only hate one thing about them.
they spend entire series endearing them to you, and in the end, BOTH TIMES! the tachikoma are killed/sacrifice themselves for their cyborg friends! ;_;
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

I wondered where Overlord was going to get the drama from. I really should have expected this.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

DragonBall Classic Latin fandub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEOcaevfAMI
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Binge-watched the first six episodes of Chaos Dragon.
Funimation wrote:Based on a table-top roleplaying session involving Gen Urobuchi (Psycho-Pass, Fate/Zero), Ryohgo Narita (Baccano!, Durarara!!), Kinoko Nasu (Kara no Kyōkai, Tsukihime) and more,

Anyways, there's this island nation that got itself partitioned by two powerful empires, and also their guardian dragon god has gone nuts and begun randomly setting things on fire. However, the orphaned prince has obtained the power to sacrifice a friend to wield the dragon's flame to incinerate an enemy... once. He wants to incinerate another enemy, he needs to sacrifice another friend.

He is of the opinion that this deal is bullshit.

So he's hooked up with a joint expedition by the nations that did the partitioning to find the dragon-god and get him to stop rampaging. They are united only by their tendency to forget that their catgirl party member has a flying mount. This is particularly impressive because the two are connected by a fifteen-foot vine fused into her back.
Last edited by name_here on Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yuru Yuri S3 has begun.
And the new Lupin Season looks like they took a look at the Lupin Movie:Castle of Cagliostro and decided that would make a good series.
Which ain't neccessarely bad. And they are not using the animation style of Fujiko Mine stuff.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Yay new Utawarerumono!
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Yay indead, it's been forever and I am always up for animal girls!

this season seems to have a bunch of "people meet and then solve mysteries" shows. the upside is there is an above avarage chance of them telling a complete story. the downside is episode 1 tells you jack fucking shit and I only know WTF it's about from the summary.
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

If you are up for that give Hyouka and MAYBE Robotics; Notes a try.

Hyouka is a slice of life mysterie school anime, nothing too serious, but oh so good!
Robotics; Notes goes fucking dark fucking fast.... Way more mature in tone despite the main goal of the series protagonists being to build a rl giant mecha from an in universe anime show.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Been watching Symphogear the singing Mahou Shojou show on the unanimous recommendation of the Nanoha ViVid manga translation team.

Hint to the second-season sympathetic team bad guy members: If your first public action is to hold a stadium full of people hostage in order to broadcast threats and insane demands to millions of people, your boss may possibly be a supervillain. Rule of thumb.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if their plan for the mission included <insert insane demand here> and she decided to go with the first one that came to mind.
Last edited by name_here on Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I recently discovered Redline.

It's a standalone film, but exceptionally animated.

MadHouse I think.

Go watch it.